It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450 ... 474  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off Topic Thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:52 pm 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
I don’t even waste my time on 8’s anymore.

If you watched and enjoyed Karate Kid when you were young, season 1 is definitely worth watching. The episodes are only a half hour, so the season moves quickly.

I won’t argue with Cucho’s analysts of season 2. It’s not very good, and I think you’d be fine considering season 1 as a stand alone sequel to the movie.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:54 pm 

k, thanks for the head's up. Maybe i'll check it out at some point. I'm just not disciplined enough. People told me the same with Stranger Things and especially True Detective "Just watch 1st season and then stop" but I watched all 3 seasons of both.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:13 pm 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
Some thoughts on the election:
1) it's either going to be a total Trump landslide... or...
2) I believe the data and Texas is actually in play.

If 2), this election might permanently change the political landscape in the US. Like, Trump may have killed the Republican Party (as it currently exists) forever - probably deserved.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:46 pm 

If Biden wins it's big because obviously things are going to get better in the next four years so there will be this huge momentum behind Biden in terms of good feelings. Meanwhile Trump will become a major windbag that will just churn up people's frustrations but Biden will be giving a message of calmness and comfort.

I think that kind of leadership will work. I don't see the Trump landslide scenario happening at all. It doesn't even make sense to me.

Cucho, just booked a 2nd romantic trip to Jersey in November :) oh boy

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:30 pm 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
Two reasons I have yet to count Trump out:
1) most of the early voting has been Democrats, but that could easily be because Republicans see no reason to vote early - and for example are NOT concerned with lines/COVID/etc...
2) Republicans will see the early voting, and might get concerned enough to vote en-masse when Election Day actually comes.

2.5: The polls were wrong last time, they might be wrong again.
2.6: Most of what gets quoted by the media deals with gross popularity numbers - these are not good predictors of electoral college results.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:29 pm 

Barney, give me that list of Black Mirror episodes that I should watch, please.

Link to the NGA Dead Pool post - https://nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic. ... 55#p663155

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:38 pm 

sixty4half wrote:
Barney, give me that list of Black Mirror episodes that I should watch, please.

Ok. But only if you report back here after you see each one. I’d love to hear what you think

The order doesn’t matter but I guess I’d watch them in this order

Be Right Back - the first episode that made me feel something. Very special

San Junipero - One of the two best episodes and most people’s favourite. Unbelievably beautiful

Hated in the Nation - this is just so good it could be a stand alone motion picture. Very strong

USS Callister- the other of the two best episodes. One of my two favourite for sure. Insanely good and high quality. Both this and SAN Junipero won a ton of awards

Hang the DJ - this might be my favourite episode. I thought it was incredible and really beautiful too

THATS it. Those are the top five. There are three other honourable mentions but you should watch these first

Tell me how you find it and thanks for remembering I was nuts about them :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:52 pm 

Thanks man. I know that's like the 2nd or 3rd time I've asked so I screen capped it on my phone this time.

Link to the NGA Dead Pool post - https://nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic. ... 55#p663155

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:29 pm 

You can ask All you want. I love talking about it. It was one of my first conversations with my gf (her fave is San Junipero which I guessed immediately)

It’ll be fun to talk about the honourable mentions after. Hope you watch them!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:48 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
Some thoughts on the election:
1) it's either going to be a total Trump landslide... or...
2) I believe the data and Texas is actually in play.

If 2), this election might permanently change the political landscape in the US. Like, Trump may have killed the Republican Party (as it currently exists) forever - probably deserved.

I think this will just be considered an out of character moment for the republican part as a whole, however I expect if he loses Trump will attempt a come back in 2024 claiming he was robbed of a second term.

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon wrote:
The secret of this format is in not breaking it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:36 pm 

Cucho, just booked a 2nd romantic trip to Jersey in November :) oh boy

Glad to hear Barno, we should totally discuss all the details ;D

Last edited by GobO_Stasis on Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
content filter avoidance/continuity

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:10 am 

Y'all seen this new thing they're calling sealioning? LOL people are dumb, that's just classic trolling.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:01 am 

Alright Barney. At your request we watched Be Right Back first.... :-( kind of a bomb bro. Why do we have to start of with all the sappy sad ****? To much foreshadowing gave the entire plot away. Like every plot point was broadcast 10-20 minutes early. It was well acted though and had a good story about a touchy subject. Ending was unexpected but not surprising. Very blase (with a little ' over the e)

Due to that we swapped from your list. We watched Nosedive next. That was really good. I like the actress Bryce. I would have thrown in the towel way before she did. Probably at the car rental. I'd probably be more like her brother, a mid 3s. Cool story, well acted, I really enjoyed the ride on this one. I kind of looked at it as a comedy. So much funny **** going on. Like the co-worker that kept getting demarked because he had broke up with his girlfriend. Then couldn't even get in the building after getting dropped so far. The exaggerated customer service interactions LOL... I've been a phone customer service rep, and I've worked at movie theaters, so that **** was absolutely hilarious. My wife used to be a server/bar tender so it resonated with her as well.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:09 am 

Nosedive was on my honourable mention list. Of all the episodes of Black Mirror, it's the one I like talking about the most cuz it seems the most plausible. i know people that live their lives in this way, it's absolute lunacy. I've worked with these people too. I know this one Indian chick who is firmly committed to "if i give a positive review/interaction with every single person I meet, they will do the same with me and it will gradually increase my social worth, leading to success". She is one of the most dishonest people I have ever met.

I find Nosedive really unpleasant to watch, so it doesn't make my top five or anything. Sorry you didn't like Be Right Back. I was also wanting to set the bar lower for the other five as well, so it's why I put it first. Everything after that is a masterpiece.

Anyway, judging from your reaction I'm thinking you'll only love USS Callister and Hated in the Nation. Hard to imagine you won't like San Junipero but it's possible. I'm worried you won't dig Hang the DJ at all now, and that's ok.

thanks for the write up! Love it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:18 am 

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon wrote:
The secret of this format is in not breaking it.

Last edited by GobO_Stasis on Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
removed flames

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:57 am 

USS Callister, the one that the thumbnail looks like a StarTrek episode, looks very intriging. My wife isn't in to stuff like that so it might be a while before I report back on that one, and she already passed on San Juniper based on the Netflix description. I was interested, but she passed on it quickly.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:18 am 

It's the two best episodes for sure. Won a ton of awards those two.

Weird to pass on stuff based on descriptions only. my mom is like that too. Someone is telling you "this is the best of the best' and you read a blurb written by a 1st year communications degree undergraduate and you're like "meh". I'll never understand it. If I had read the blurbs of Moonlight or Lady Bird or Manchester by the Sea, I'd never have gone to see those movies. Three of the best movies I've seen in the last decade for sure.

USS Callister is a super girl-power episode too.

I'm gonna have these same types of discussions and arguments with my gf when I try to get her to watch movies outside of her comfort zone cuz her favourite movie is 13 going on 30, so i know my work is cut out for me too.

anyway, good try getting her to watch good episodes. It's good you started with Be Right Back cuz that SHOULD have won her over.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:49 am 

So you actually ask her if she wanted to be your GF you dork?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:55 am 

dork is right :)

lol, no but she's heard me drop the term a lot and seems to like it. At one point she was feeling anxiety that me less responsive than her in texting meant that i wasn't into this, so i told her we can firm up the relationship status if that makes her feel more secure :)

made two dinner reservations at romantic spots on the river. grabbed a hotel room with a city view of nyc skyline. Should be really great. I'm excited about this breakfast place in Hoboken too. The waterfront walks in Weehawken look amazing.

Anyway, i have a feeling this next trip will really cement some stuff. She told one of her best friends about me last night which is a huge move for her given the age gap. She got her friend's blessing (who's parents also have a significant age gap) so i think that's making her feel pretty good. the last time I dated a girl this young, she wouldn't tell anyone and it ended up becoming a cancer to the relationship 18 months into it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:10 am 

Some minor edits were made to recent posts in the thread including a removal or two.

Please don't circumvent the content filter by posting images with expletives that would have otherwise been filtered.

Thanks,
Stasis

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450 ... 474  Next