It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310 ... 372  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off Topic Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:43 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
Wintervoid wrote:
I have yet to win Civ 6 on Deity. Last game I had more cities then anyone else I had met (which was about everyone), but i was behind in science and I was in constant war so I kept falling behind. The game may be salvageable, but I was in a position where I was not quite strong enough to start taking cities, and I think that by the time I was, it would be too late overall (Late Modern Era). I think my problem is I am just not aggressive enough in Deity. I think I need to make them bend the knee.

Curious what map size most are playing on. I like Large maps so I can stretch out a bit, but I am starting to wonder if that is a bad choice for deity.

On other news, one of my traders told me today that everything bad that has happened this year is because 'they' do not want Trump reelected. China released the virus just to get Trump. Learn something new every day.

You have to become Uber efficient. Do not allow your cities to do whatever they want... put policy cards into effect, and make every city take advantage: for example, build units everywhere at one time, while you have the 50% bonus. Also, on the subject... you need roughly an army sufficiently large to go to war, in order to defend from war - at home. Otherwise the deity opponents will just attack you incessantly. I try to maintain an army, even with peaceful civs, sufficient to station a unit in every city at all times past the first 20 or so turns... and sometimes that’s not even enough.

If you send all of your troops away from home, the other civs can’t see them when they scout you, and they will attack... they are also aware of your overall army strength at all times... and you definitely don’t want to be the weakest civ, if you can avoid it (early turns notwithstanding of course).

Also, wherever possible, try to control chokepoints... it’s not always possible, but when it is, it’s incredibly effective.

All good advice. I can increase my efficiency a bit, but have been a bit lazy. I do keep troops, but probably a bit weaker then I should be. I can repel civs with 2-3 times my overall strength (I use choke points etc). What really annoys me in the current game is that I just repelled the top civ and he called for peace, but my weak neighbor that has about 1/2 the strength as I do has declared war and will not sue for peace. I have wiped his units almost completely, but he is ahead in Tech and I don't have quite the forces to take many of his cities. The one I took I razed because I knew I could not hold it long without major investment, and it was a weak city. I think I have just pissed him off so much that he will not give up even though he has no chance of winning the war. The war weariness is starting to have an impact on me. And although I am sure I can eventually wipe him out, I am afraid that the resources it will cost will put me so far back that the other Civs will Crush me in Science etc. At the start of the wars I was about even with the top civs in Science production (but behind in total advancements, I was catching up), but since the wars they have shot up to about 150% of me. At this point, I think my only viable win is a domination victory...and honestly, that is my least favorite win con (besides religion).

I think my major mistake was when I was in a war early game with my neighbor, I should not have let him sue for peace then (after taking one strategic city) and I should have just wiped him out. As is, he just hates me so much he will drag us both down.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:50 pm 

deadpoet wrote:
i'm not very knowledgeable on Canadian Politics,so is your right-wing the same as ours?

__

It's a great question, poet, thanks for asking. No, it's not the same. Our "right" party, The Conservative Party of Canada, actually would fall more to the LEFT of your own Democrats, which is hilarious. So when i use the terms right/left, i'm typically using the American model for those terms.

We actually had our first really far right party run in the last election, the People's Party of Canada. They picked up less than 2% of the popular vote which made me feel huge relief and pride at the same time. I'm not a very patriotic person but I felt super proud in that moment.

And to draw in the conversation of social media which I agree helps to stir civil unrest and discontent, I think social media played a BIG part into why this party didn't get off the ground. People (supporters and non-supporters alike) would share billboards of the People's Party of Canada that basically all said, "SAY NO TO IMMIGRATION". So when supporters sided with this, they'd post it and would immediately get called out by their friends, family or whoever. So there was some good social shaming going on, which I think is very very important. It goes to the current discussion lately about the difference of "not being racist" and "being anti-racist". I think that 2nd group can really illicit social change in the same way that online forums that allow self-moderation generally only succeed when the community calls out bad behaviour when they see it. From personal experience, I can tell you that often leads to mob-like lynchings* over nothing tho so I'm not sure it's the best solution either.

In the states, it's easier to grab hold of anti-immigration and not be called out for it, cuz you guys have all sorts of socio-economic problems (crime and such) which people can scape-goat immigrants for. In Canada, what are we going to blame immigrants for? The cold weather? To go back to my muslim colleague, he often will blame immigration (the irony is totally lost on him) for society's woes but i pull him back from the abyss each time as best I can. He likes debate so I do what I can.

*I've heard this is an offensive term to use for anything other than actual lynchings but I see it as an appropriate analogy and I fight back against treating another other than the n-word like the n-word. That I'll avoid all day, every day.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:01 pm 

Major win today!

Other cops will be charged with aiding and abetting. This means that a cop can no longer just stand by and do nothing, while a bad cop commits a crime, without facing consequences. This is a big step in getting police to police themselves and will hopefully be received in a positive light.

Have a safe weekend guys.

Link to the NGA Dead Pool post - https://nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic. ... 55#p663155

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:04 pm 

I already thought them losing their jobs was a drastic action for simply not taking action, but this is even better.

HOWEVER, I think this is a major risk if the DA is supposed to consider preventing civil unrest as part of their mandate. I don't THINK the charges will stick on the 3 other officers since there are many legal covenants protecting police officers from workplace liability, especially when it comes to controlling volatile situations. If and when these officers are cleared of all charges, Minneapolis could easily hit a second wave of unrest and riots.

I think firing them was huge already and I found that sends a nasty message to cops that think they can just allow jerk partners to go nuts.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:08 pm 

Changing the perpetrator's charge to Murder 2 is a mistake, I think.

Link to the NGA Dead Pool post - https://nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic. ... 55#p663155

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:09 pm 

sixty4half wrote:
Major win today!
Have a safe weekend guys.

Its wednesday!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:12 pm 

I already thought them losing their jobs was a drastic action for simply not taking action, but this is even better.

HOWEVER, I think this is a major risk if the DA is supposed to consider preventing civil unrest as part of their mandate. I don't THINK the charges will stick on the 3 other officers since there are many legal covenants protecting police officers from workplace liability, especially when it comes to controlling volatile situations. If and when these officers are cleared of all charges, Minneapolis could easily hit a second wave of unrest and riots.

I think firing them was huge already and I found that sends a nasty message to cops that think they can just allow jerk partners to go nuts.

I think it can stick. This is the part that gets me:

"BWC video shows Mr. Floyd continue to move and breathe. At 8:24:24, Mr. Floyd stopped moving. At 8:25:31 the video appears to show Mr. Floyd ceasing to breathe or speak. Lane said, "want to roll him on his side." Kueng checked Mr. Floyd's right wrist for a pulse and said, "I couldn't find one." None of the officers moved from their positions.
At 8:27:24, the defendant removed his knee from Mr. Floyd's neck."

One minute after he stops moving they fail to find a pulse. They stay on him an additional 2 minutes after they establish he has no pulse. No effort to try and revive him at all, instead they waited to make sure he was dead. Everyone there that heard he had no pulse and did nothing is liable imo.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:18 pm 

Do cops revive? They frequently continue to secure and restrain perps even after they are likely killed. It’s part of their training

Man did they really change murder 3 to murder 2?? That’s a big mistake . Don’t they want to win ?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:23 pm 

Every one in life has a set trust value for everyone else. As we get older, inertia sets in and these get more set in stone. If you don’t trust a source enough; it cannot convince you of anything.

The trick is that trusting one new piece of information makes you reevaluate your trust levels for all the related sources. For example if you trust Nasa as a source, you are more likely to believe their satellite photos of the hole in the ozone layer. If you trust that this hole exists, you are more significantly likely to believe in other environmental issues such as climate change.

40% of voting Americans seem to trust Trump at near the highest level. This means anything that contradicts him goes down to zero trust immediately. This is what is known as a brainwashed cult.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:31 pm 

I think anything below murder 1 will stick. After the last week they are probably going to railroad his ass. The only chance he has is if the police union wants to pick this hill to die on.

Edit: I could actually see him plea bargaining down to murder 3 too.

Last edited by mjack33 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:34 pm 

Do cops revive? They frequently continue to secure and restrain perps even after they are likely killed. It’s part of their training

Man did they really change murder 3 to murder 2?? That’s a big mistake . Don’t they want to win ?

Yes, many cops are trained in CPR but it is not a requirement in many areas. I couldn't find if it was a requirement in MN.

When trying to look this up I found there was an off duty fireman there that was pleading with the cops to check his pulse, so even if they did not want to do CPR, there were others there that could have.

https://www.firerescue1.com/off-duty/ar ... uOb2wnlB4/

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:37 pm 

True story: in many restaurants in many states they are not required to have someone who knows cpr on hand.

Source: witnessed an unfortunate incident happen in an outback

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:38 pm 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
I’m struggling to resolve something in my head. I’m not against the protests in principle. Not at all. Easy to make the case they have already achieved some positive results. While the officers involved were fired before the protests kicked off (blew up on social media, officers fired next day, protests kicked off that evening), it’s easy to make a case they would have escaped charges without the protests. However, we’re still in the middle of a global pandemic and for basically the last week you’ve had 1000s of people crowded together on the streets daily/nightly - not only in cities across the country, but more recently in some cities across the globe as well. The virus doesn’t give a crap about the nobility of your cause. People were hyperventilating about risk over small sized protests some weeks back, but those numbers were a drop in the bucket compared to now.

Meanwhile, I’m currently engaged in reopening plans at my work. There’s hyper focus on preventing the spread of virus - such that, in phase 1 of reopening a maximum of 25% of work staff will be permitted to return to the office. Nobody will be seated closer than 15 feet apart, PPE will be required, sanitizing stations will be installed everywhere so nobody has to walk farther than 20 feet to reach one, even ongoing debate about beverage machines being permitted to use as they want to eliminate as many common touch points as possible. Continual sanitization of high touch points will be occurring throughout the workday with extensive sanitation of workstations in the evenings. Etc etc.

It’s all leaving me with a sense of extreme dissonance. It feels surreal. I get the employer has an obligation to protect employees and I can understand even some of the precautions I personally think are excessive. Better safe than sorry, and from a business standpoint, sorry can get you sued. But with what’s been going on nationally I wonder if we’ll be left in a position where we should just say eff it and commit to herd immunity

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:01 pm 

WHAT A BORING POST

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:08 pm 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
Your mom’s boring :-P

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:14 pm 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
Lol, we clearly should have just **** off and gone for heard immunity.

Anyway... we’ll get it now, so there’s that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:22 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
I think anything below murder 1 will stick. After the last week they are probably going to railroad his ass. The only chance he has is if the police union wants to pick this hill to die on.

mjack, this isn't how the legal system works AT ALL.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:42 pm 

It’s not how it’s supposed to work.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:42 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
Lol, we clearly should have just **** off and gone for heard immunity.

Anyway... we’ll get it now, so there’s that.

Unless it’s impossible

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:08 pm 

all it takes is 1 angry man.

Last edited by sixty4half on Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310 ... 372  Next