It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:12 am 

Modulo wrote:
Ye, Elves suck rn. The best way to play them is to cram 18 of them into a G/W beatdown deck and roll with it.

Allies aren't THAT bad; build around the ol' Kalastria Healer/Serene Steward/Drana's Emissary and you should be fine. Just don't go 5c, because THAT deck sucks balls.

Drazi don't have a lot of tribal synergy aside from stuff like Vile Aggregate since our Processors suck, but there's some solid cards.

With Wizards I'm having a hard time getting to 18 cards. I mean:

2 x Baral, Chief of Compliance
1 x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 x Stormchaser Mage
2 x Harbinger of the Tides

2 x Jori En, Ruin Diver

2 x Docent of Perfection
1 x Disciple of the Ring

That's 13 good Wizards, but what are your last 5? Willbreaker is maybe your best option, but it's janky and another 5-drop; Windrider Patrol has the same problem; Trophy Mage can get Dynavolt Tower but not much else and Pathmaker Initiate is bad.
I guess there's Separatist Voidmage as a worse Harbinger (plus he works with Willbreaker as you can target and then choose not to bounce) or you could splash White for Reflector Mage (not much else though).

Can't wait to twinbolt some dudes with willbreaker on board!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:39 am 

Pathmaker really isn't so bad either - lets you get a little damage through, and if you do run Willbreaker it becomes great.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:10 am 

Jeskai wizards... they suck but I have a soft spot in my heart for Docent of perfection... so much flavor in that card.
So now it’s between
- Azorious Tempo spirits
- Izzet thopters
- jeskai dynabolt wizards
- mono white aggro soldiers
I guess I will go with any unrepresented tribe.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:48 am 

Took a shot at Azorius Bouncy Aggro Wizards. Turned out more fun than I expected!

Creatures (26)
2 x Dauntless River Marshal
4 x Kor Castigator
4 x Gust Walker
2 x Trophy Mage
2 x Spell Queller
3 x Reflector Mage
1 x Separatist Voidmage
2 x Spire Patrol
2 x Docent of Perfection
2 x Elder Deep-Fiend

Spells (12)
3 x Cartouche of Solidarity
2 x Declaration in Stone
2 x Disperse
2 x Open Into Wonder
2 x Aethersphere Harvester
1 x Kefnet's Monument

Land (22)
9 x Plains
9 x Island
2 x Prairie Stream
2 x Glacial Fortress

That Monument is terrible, except here it's great! It's often what you want off your Trophy Mage before harvester. Keeps stuff locked down pretty well with this many creatures, and you have River Marshal/Spire Patrol/Deep Fiend to initiate the tapping.

Docent doesn't have a ton of stuff to activate it, but there are lots of Mages around and it's a solid flying body anyway.

Open Into Wonder is a finisher to get your last hit through if you run out of bounce and tapping. One thing to note is Duels won't let you cast it for 0, if you're just trying to flip Docent.

Is it weird that this is my favorite one of the 6-8 I've tried so far? It's total jank but it works pretty well. And beating someone with Kor Castigator with their board locked down is really funny.

Last edited by CardboardNomad on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:50 pm 

Took a shot at Azorius Bouncy Aggro Wizards. Turned out more fun than I expected!

Creatures (26)
2 x Dauntless River Marshal
4 x Kor Castigator
4 x Gust Walker
2 x Trophy Mage
2 x Spell Queller
3 x Reflector Mage
1 x Separatist Voidmage
2 x Spire Patrol
2 x Docent of Perfection
2 x Elder Deep-Fiend

Spells (12)
3 x Cartouche of Solidarity
2 x Disperse
2 x Open Into Wonder
2 x Aethersphere Harvester
1 x Kefnet's Monument

Land (22)
9 x Plains
9 x Island
2 x Prairie Stream
2 x Glacial Fortress

That Monument is terrible, except here it's great! It's often what you want off your Trophy Mage before harvester. Keeps stuff locked down pretty well with this many creatures, and you have River Marshal/Spire Patrol/Deep Fiend to initiate the tapping.

Docent doesn't have a ton of stuff to activate it, but there are lots of Mages around and it's a solid flying body anyway.

Open Into Wonder is a finisher to get your last hit through if you run out of bounce and tapping. One thing to note is Duels won't let you cast it for 0, if you're just trying to flip Docent.

Is it weird that this is my favorite one of the 6-8 I've tried so far? It's total jank but it works pretty well. And beating someone with Kor Castigator with their board locked down is really funny.

I think you are missing 2 spells?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:54 pm 

Oops, Dec Stone. Thanks!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:13 pm 

I'm gonna go with Warriors. Quite a few good cards to make a solid aggro deck, probably boros with maybe a splash of green for Samut?

Haven't put the deck together yet, but I'm thinking exert and Cartouche/Trial tech with the White Monument.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:48 pm 

I love me some Cartouches . I don’t have any more f those decks left anymore

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:28 pm 

Elves CAN be janky!

Creatures (25):
3 x Narham Renegade
2 x Sylvan Advocate
3 x Dwynen’s Elite
3 x Skyrider Elf
2 x Trophy Mage
1 x Nissa, Vastwood Seer
2 x Reclamation Sage
3 x Rogue Refiner
2 x Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
1 x Mirrorwing Dragon
2 x Cultivator of Blades
1 x Samut, Voice of Dissent

Artifacts and PWs
1 x Nissa, Steward of Elements
2 x Lifecrafter’s Bestiary
1 x Rhonas’s Monument

Spells (9):
1 x Might of the Masses
3 x Harnessed Lightning
3 x Invigorated Rampage
2 x Eldritch Evolution

Land (22):
5 x Forest
2 x Island
1 x Mountain
2 x Sulfur Falls
2 x Hinterland Harbor
2 x Rootbound Crag
2 x Cinder Glade
1 x Lumbering Falls
3 x Aether Hub
2 x Evolving Wilds

Good for thumping the AI in novel ways. Not gonna mess with it on the ladder tho. There’s jank and then there’s suicidal jank...

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:57 pm 

I think I am going to sit this one out. I can't find any deck I actually like :(

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:30 am 

But you won the last one! :(

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:56 am 

I was having the same feeling... coz this guys are Horrible to play against any tier 1 deck... the win rate is low... Even thopters are falling... My initial build had modulos pack minus one land producing thopters... I guess that’s the best one I got, all the rest are very inconsistent sometimes they crush a good deck but other they are just awful... besides I got little to no time this days I will suscribe something non the less. I just hope it’s in the realm of good jank and not in the shameful area.

Fingers crossed!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:18 pm 

I guess I am just too spikey. I feel like I am either playing a deck with a low win % or I am playing a near carbon copy of the tribals I have played against online.

I was working on Artificers/thopters, and although it was okay, there was not really anything different about it than the thopter decks I normally face online. I had the bright idea of making an Artificer/Energy deck that tried to abuse Era of Innovation with Whirler Virtuoso and/or Electrostatic Pummeler. Pummeler could get Haste/Unblocable/Hexproof/Pump from other Artificers. When it worked, it was a thing of beauty, but it was just too slow too often.

I am actually impressed with some of the other decks posted, I just can't find anything I am interested in. I will probably judge though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:24 pm 

If we want janky elves, why not try to include 18 Elves into a Ramp shell?

4 x Druid of the Cowl
4 x Elvish Visionary
2 x Sylvan Advocate

2 x Architect of the Untamed
1 x Nissa, Vastwood Seer
3 x Reclamation Sage

2 x Mina and Denn, Wildborn

I mean, we still need more payoffs, bombs and everything, but this doesn't seem absolutely horrendous...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:46 pm 

I'm pretty all in on honing up the "Elemental Health Clinic" list from earlier (not quite sold on the name, but I like where you're head's at Haven!).

That said, if anyone's still looking for a list to take a run at, I'm pretty sure there's a mid-range constructs list that could be quite competitive. I started messing with grixis and even in the formative state I'm pretty sure it's more spikable than the other lists I've put together (which is likely damning with faint praise :)). I got distracted by workshop assistant, pummeler, and multiform wonder, but someone with a more disciplined approach could probably make it quite competitive based on gearhulks/ballista/scrounger +some of the other fine constructs and artifact support (I think foundry inspector is actually just legit good in this type of list).

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:31 pm 

So far, bzzt’s Elementals is my fave list. It reminds me of a cool landfall list Megabeast posted way back.

I’m pretty much committed to Spirits at this point - it has been my most consistent and versatile list. There are 2 slots that I’m sort of stuck on tho. The Censors haven’t done much yet so I’m currently running Commit. Unsubstantiate and Imprisoned in the Moon are the other contenders for that slot. But its nice to have an additional answer to a resolved Convergence - otherwise I gotta pray for CE. The other slot is Spectral Shepherd. If it was a 2/3 maybe it’d be worth it but the 2/2 for 3 just feels so weak. The ability has some fun interactions with Nebelgast and Rattlechains but the mana cost is too high to be practical. I need to run 2 spirits in that slot, tho, and the options aren’t great. Tattergeist just sucks every time I use it. Fogwalker seems like it fits the build except that it doesn’t have flying. Erdwal Illuminator has decent stats for a 2-drop but only has synergy with Bishop... If only there was another low cost rare spirit in the pool. That slot is the only one that feels like a concession to the tribal requirements.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 pm 

Have you tried Oketra's Monument? Makes those Shepherds way more useful.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:56 pm 

Have you tried Oketra's Monument? Makes those Shepherds way more useful.

That is actually a great idea. Spirits was one I took a run at, and it fell in the decent category.

Also, not sure if it is worth it, but Light's deck had some green for Pack Guardian. That card was much more effective then I originally gave it credit for. Putting 4 power on the table EOT swung some games when I play tested with him many expansions ago.

Also, I agree on Commit. The card is so versatile.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:46 pm 

Contructs are quite good Bzzt, I took my dimir pile and made some adjustments.
I will upload the piles later to exchange notes with you guys.
Flaky I run 4 spell shiver, confirm suspicious and blessed alliance on my spirit pile have you try any of them?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:37 pm 

bzzt’s Elementals reminds me of a cool landfall list Megabeast posted way back.

Yeah there's definitely elements (hah!) of that in there. Its funny, the elementals list here has a lot more in common with his list than where I ended up in that thread. I actually did a take on that list for this round, but in beasts. I haven't spent enough time with it to tune, but it ended up pretty OK :

Creatures (22):
3xScythe Leopard
+2xBomat Courier
3xBaloth Pup
4xMakindi Sliderunner
4xSnapping Gnarlid
2xArchitect of the Untamed
2xTireless Tracker
2xMina and Denn
1xSamut, Voice of Dissent
2xDesert Cerodon

Spells (5):
23xHarnessed Lightning
+2xGrapple with the Past

Enchants (9):
2xCartouche of Zeal
32xTrial of Zeal
3xTrial of Strength
2xRetreat to Valakut

Planeswalkers (1):
1xArlinn Kord

Land (23):
3xMountain
45xForest
2xLooming Spires
2xCinder Glade
2xRootbound Crag
31xAether Hub
4xEvolving Wilds
4xWarped Landscape

Cerodon is obviously "make it to 18 beasts without sucking" and replaced oath for me. I really like the fit of the trials here, but would like the lightnings to be grapples, it's tough not to have anything for a copter. Hubs probably shouldn't be all 3 (replace X with basics and/or 1xpilgrimage).

Update: Replaced the tracker's with bomat's and made 2 hubs and Samut into the pair of grapples and an extra forest. Changed 1 Trial of Zeal to a lightning.
Seems to have unclogged 3/4 (curve was really too high for what it was trying to do anyway, although it seems a little nuts that the trackers will stay out of a landfall list...actually the better way to phrase it is I don't think there's space for them in a beast list that happens to be trying to landfall - they obviously would beat out the ToS's in a normal list).

Last edited by bzzt on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next