It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Which is the best lifegain decklist?
Poll ended at Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:50 am
The Kitchen Drain 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Life Comes At You Fast 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Mono-black lifegain/lifeloss 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Grim Nemesis 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Monumental Life 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Defiant Jank 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8
Total voters : 5
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:29 am 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
Day 3.5 - kitchen Sink 3-0, Defiant Jank 1-1 (2-1 on the round)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/164815893
(Sleeping fam quiet time, no stream commentary again)

Kitchen Sink went through its games with a fair amount of ease. Got a little tricky in the second game, but match never felt out of reach.

Defiant Jank ran into mono black zombies and started really strong, but fell apart in the end. I had outs but just couldn't draw them - like Grim Nemesis G3 yesterday, but without Brisela to lock out opps side. Thankfully it had an awesome showing the next game vs Orzhov Tokens, winning with Bloodlord just the way I drew it up. Really nice finish for the only build to lose a game in round 1.

EDIT: Recaps

Kitchen Sink
Spoiler

Defiant Jank
Spoiler

Last edited by The Secret of TIMH on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:16 am 

What should I be doing with Lilly Death Majesty in Defianr Jank? I was really lost with her. I basically just filled up graveyard until there was something worth recurring. In this case, a Nissa which I could flip

I really think my favourite t4 with that deck is GOP and Lone Rider. So good

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:45 am 

Yeowch, brutal! Sorry she failed you so completely!

Yesterday was one of that nights... I lost 6 games in a row GRRRR!!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:25 pm 

@Barney

That's basically it - just keep filling the yard making zombie tokens until you dig up a creature needed for whatever situation you're in. Big Lili is primarily there to try to dig for Bloodlord, and/or recur him. Because Bloodlord is so expensive to cast (and such a big removal magnet when he hits), the manaless recursion is a nice way to get Bloodlord back on the table and be able to cast out some lifegain spells right away. But she offers a lot more. She helps buy time for Bloodlord set up, making chump blockers (which double as Kalitas and Ayli fodder) - and resurrecting Caracal is also a nice stall play with the 3 bodies. She fills your graveyard toolbox for the Murasa spells (Greenwarden and Pulses), and Ever After. There's also some synergy for her ultimate, because her recursion ability and Ever After's bring doods back as Zombies that dodge her sweep. She's a pretty important piece of the deck; toolbox extraordinaire.

I agree about the Rider GoP T2-3 play. It's like doing it with Blessed Alliance but without the nagging feeling that you wasted the removal mode. The deck has some really fun combos. I'm really happy with how well it turned out - considering how janky the build around card is.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:02 pm 

I find myself holding Ever After often with only one decent target. I don't play it often at all. Anyway fun deck. I'm really anxious to see which two decks go the furthest. I'm really rooting for Life Cums fast and Kitchen Drain but anything is possible

Ok round 7 starts now! I got four hours to play so I hope we can find the two winners tonight!

I need graveyard recursion so let's start with Life Comes at you fast...beats mono white 7-0

Defiant Junk next...win against mono green 7-0

Grim Nemesis next...win against awful fog deck 7-0

Kitchen drain last...win against something weird, RGW? Not easy. 7-0

Onto round 8! Still four decks left

Life Cums Fast is first...super tough match against mono blue fliers. Tons of stuff. Somehow I won. 8-0

Defiant Jank up next...omg up against a low level Dimir graveyard zombie deck. This guys board is terrifying. I'm holding up Big Lilly with a caracal and Bloodlord in my yard. I have Kalitas and à Zombie on station but he has a really developed board. I'm really questioning if I'm going to be able to win this and then the game crashes! Sweet sweet mercy

It's a sign I need to take a break, I'll go get some KFC and try again later

Ok back to round 8 testing. Defiant Junk is up...win against some terrible Gruul 8-0

Grim Nemesis up next...up against Golgari elves. Win! 8-0

Kitchen drain is last for round 8....up against rank 40 jeskai control... uh oh...omg listen to this! The guy has tons of removal and kills all my creatures and exiles Wanderer, all I have is one hissing quagmire and a fatal push. He has Big Jace, Saheeli, Needle Spires and 5 life. I decide I can't keep the planeswalkers in check so I swing face with the quagmire. He allows it and drops to 3 life. I topdeck Maw with exactly eight mana, I play it and target him for hitting for three life. He scatter to the winds it and I swear out loud. The spell resolves and I win!! What?? Oh! Maw does three damage as a cast effect!! Can you believe it? I'm at 38 life with no cards and just topdecking. He has tons of mana, two planeswalkers and a ton of cards and we won! 8-0

Will it's round 9 and we still have four decks!!

Let's keep going...snake draft and start with Kitchen Drain. We ended up retooling the graveyard recursion quest cuz after several rounds we only had 1 out of 10. I refilled into Land quest and got it instantly. Anyway Kitchen Drain is first up...rank 7 Grixis réanimation. My deck couldn't have come out worse. I stupidly put -1 counters on a eldrazi scion I desperately needed to play mindbender, then not only got mana screwed but draw all my 8 cost creatures mon stop. I got two trials out and then couldn't get a creature to play the cartouche to bounce them. It was super frustrating. 8-1. But it's not out just yet. I only tear it up if one of the other decks wins a game this round...

Grim Nemesis next...big tough win against UWG deck. Used lots of removal to break his back and maintain board control. 9-0!

Kitchen Drain is eliminated! :(

Oh boy, next deck that loses should signal the end of that round of playtesting and we'll be able to declare winners! We're pretty much in the finals now...

Defiant Junk wins against something terrible, but he mulled to three. 9-0

Life Cums at you fast will close off this ninth round of playtesting...up against RDW and I keep a two lander and don't draw into any help as he plays Glory Chasers, Ember Haulers with tons of Aronists and Titans Stregrh. It's absolute hell. I drop Skulker on T2 and start pitching cars to the yard to play eldrazi tokens , trying to draw a plains. My hand is 4 white cartouche, 2 blue cartouche and reflector Mage which I can never play. I drop imitates and SRAM but can't use them cuz I'm forced to block to survive. I can't bring back lifeline guys cuz I only have 1 plains and I want to be mana efficient. He gets me to 5 life and then I get two blockers out and he decides to wait. The waiting lets me get another sram out with an eldrazi token. I now have three mana but have tossed the reflector Mage in the yard. I'm debating how best to use my mana and then he concedes, I think he was out of gas which is great against RDW. Close one. 9-0

Ok round 10 with three decks left. Next loss signals the final round. These are pretty much the top three decks now: life cums fast, grim Nemesis and Defiant Junk! Can't believe it! Let's see if anything can hit a ten game streak...

Life cums fast is up first...

Last edited by Black Barney on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:04 pm 

Barney I'm so happy you managed to win a game with a countered Maw! That's absolutely the best possible win with that deck. Sorry it couldn't take you all the way.

Wintervoid's Monumental Life
Record: 2-5
Notes: this is so creative and fun when it works, and getting around problems without much traditional interaction is awesome, but it also has some serious weaknesses, especially against aggro and planeswalkers which I just happened to see a lot of here. Part of this bad record is surely down to user error though; I definitely felt I was learning as I went, and that last match is all down to hubris.

Game logs:
1: rdw (draw): just not a fast enough hand, especially on the draw. Double glory Chaser, crasher, collective defiance, I'm done.
2: ugbr mill (draw): uh oh. They have watchers of the dead and Tutelage right away. I waste three turns fiddling with Dusk trying get a sage out of the graveyard and into play, just to have it committed before it resolves. Watchers activate, memory chews through most of the rest of my deck, next turn they have some draw spells to finish the job.
3: GB mid range (play): here's a better matchup. Get a monument T3 and enough tokens to keep them from attacking, plus a militia captain to attack with. They get a lily majesty and flip a Nissa, so I'm concerned that they have a continuous source of blockers for the captain and a sweep available in a couple turns. I bounce my captain with a mechanic, dusk away their big creatures and take out both Walkers in one shot with flyers and tokens. They have a languish, but dawn refills my hand and it's over soon after that.
4: hasty rdw (draw): I've got all the elements for a great game in my opening hand, just need to draw a third land to cast the monument. Don't draw a third land. They're playing brazen scourge instead of crasher, so my wimps would have no hope of trading even if they didn't get burned away first.
5: urgw superfriends (play): another tough matchup, I stall at 3 land here with no monument, so I can play but slowly, and they get Nissa voice, baby Jace and flamecaller all running on top of radiant flames and heaven.
6: gwb control (draw): more wipes and Walkers. Nissa voice again and baby lily, I get a monument and flip an ormendahl to take out lily, but the prince gets declared, nissa ults and they play ulamog to knock out monument and a bishop. Play another monument and Reflector mage that back, hoping I can swarm before they deck me, but planar outburst knocks me out for good...

Or not. Dawn my hand full again, make as many tokens as I can and bounce the monument with a mechanic. Ulamog comes back and has to target creatures. Reflect him back, flip an evangel so anything that dies still hurts, and attack. Make more tokens, leave mana open for queller in case there's a languish or something. There's a big Nissa and Gideon of the trials instead (and his damn token), but I have the numbers. Attack next turn to take out Gideott and Opp at the same time. Nice match, I lost hope there for a minute.
7: (play): monument in hand, Opp mulligans to 5, let's go. They have a kytheon & consul's lieutenant to start, and with my tap lands I have to let them through. T3 monument (they play topan freeblade and anointer of champions), T4 bishop/captain/mechanic. Their turn they play knight of the white orchid and land and they're out of cards, I let through their attack cause I'm holding 2 more mechanics and about to be in total control. I'm down to 4. They flip kytheon, untap lieutenant. My turn captain flips, I sac a clue and hit Gideon with my bishop, then mechanic mechanic mechanic just to show off their impending doom.

But then, like John McClane whipping out the pistol taped to his back, Opp tops a Nimbus Wings and kills me with a flying Freeblade.

Come to think of it, Barney does your friend play of iOS and go by SIR GITROG? Cause it's entirely possible I just died to the deck I built for him in your thread. HA!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:09 pm 

Haha no

He's on xbox, thanks for building both of us cool decks

I just had a mercy disconnect with Life Cums at u fast, I had to mull to 6 and kept a 2 lander with no blue sources. I play Copter but have no creatures to play cuz they're both blue and all I got with them are white cartouches. Opponent seems to have a strong delirium deck and then we get disconnected. Whew. Let's try again...

Life cums fast up against Boros Vehicles, he is killing me me and then I get trial out and flip the game. 10-0!

Defiant Junk...

Last edited by Black Barney on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:22 pm 

Come to think of it, Barney does your friend play of iOS and go by SIR GITROG? Cause it's entirely possible I just died to the deck I built for him in your thread. HA!

I didin´t know you played on iOS! :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:31 pm 

I didin´t know you played on iOS! :D

Yeah, I'm UnskilledLabor on there.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:58 pm 

Defiant Junk takes a horrible 56 minute loss to conflux control. Absolute hell. Can't wait to tear this up. 9-1. I hate decks that do nothing against control.

If Grim Nemesis can win this last game, it ties Life Cums fast for the winner!

Let's see what happens...uh oh rank 39 RDW...looks like madness vamps...our land is good and his Sanitarium helps us cycle into two planeswalkers. Barney knows how to beat vamps anyway. 10-0!

Congrats to Cucho and Nomad for building two 10-0 lifegain decks!! You guys are amazing. I'll keep playing these on ladder and in streams in the future

Shout out to Timh for building a 9-1 hanky lifegain deck as well. What an awful last game I had with that

Thanks joker for the great contest! Cucho and Nomad get my votes

Last edited by Black Barney on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:06 pm 

Make the life gain count!
Great piloting Barney!

On to the Valhalla!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:07 am 

That makes my night! Thanks for piloting Barney, that was a marathon this round!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:29 am 

Barney, I can always count on you to lose with my decks. Looks like I'll never get your vote... Lol.

Maybe I should post some piloting instructions like Timh.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 am 

Sorry Haven, if it makes you feel better, this time it really felt like the two best decks made it to the end (sometimes good decks just get unlucky like DJs Radkos deck in a previous contest). Grim Nemesis ended up being much better than I expected. I'm amazed Life Cums Fast didn't get unlucky with drawing just cartouches one game or something. In fact it did get unlucky once or twice with land but still won!

Piloting tips certainly helps but maybe it sometimes stops me from playing it a certain way that might win, who knows.

Anyway, I am awaited in Valhalla, where I shall arrive shiny and chrome

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:12 am 

Haven_pt wrote:
Barney, I can always count on you to lose with my decks. Looks like I'll never get your vote... Lol.

Maybe I should post some piloting instructions like Timh.

Yeah you should :D This is the first time one of my challenge brews made it to the top 3 with Barney, and possibly the first time it wasn't first eliminated. :teach:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:18 am 

Defiant Junk takes a horrible 56 minute loss to conflux control. Absolute hell. Can't wait to tear this up. 9-1. I hate decks that do nothing against control.

Shout out to Timh for building a 9-1 hanky lifegain deck as well. What an awful last game I had with that

That loss I had with it to mono black zombies was Long and Painful too. It's kind of a curse that it has so muck lifegain - because if you can't draw Bloodlord to end it quick or outs to break a stall, then all that life just makes it take forever for them to kill you. I guess it's the curse of extremes - either you draw the pieces to go off and have a blast or you don't and suffer the torture of forever games.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:25 am 

yeah, exactly. It draws it out even worse than usual.

I must have honestly played Bloodlord about 4-5 times in that single game. He kept killing it.

He played that stupid flying whale which he just kept repopping into his hand. i couldn't ever get my lifelink guys to do damage cuz the whale kept getting beamed up. How the heck do people handle the whale once it has enough energy? I have never had problems against it in the past. Now i felt powerless. I had tons of stuff to target it but what's the point, it just gets beamed back up

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:37 am 

Yuck. I hate playing against control anyways, but when playing with a janky deck that's trying to do goofy combos, it's just the worst.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:35 pm 

OK Havens decks and my Grim Nemesis are up for a ride tonight, lets see if I´m awaited...

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:59 pm 

OK Havens decks and my Grim Nemesis are up for a ride tonight, lets see if I´m awaited...

Good luck!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next