It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [Brewing] Grixis Burn
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:52 pm 

Kinda late with Kaladesh coming up, but thought I'd post this anyways. Just won like 10 games in a row with it, no lie. This deck is fire as f*ck son.

Grixis Burn

1 mana (7)

4x :r: insolent neonate
3x :r: lightning axe

2 mana (12)

1x :1::u: jace, vryn's prodigy
4x :1::r: thermo-alchemist
3x :1::u: telling time
4x :1::u: take inventory

3 mana (16)

4x :1::r::r: fiery temper
4x :2::b: alms of the vein
4x :2::b: read the bones
2x :2::r: radiant flames
2x :1::r::r: collective defiance

4 mana (1)

1x :2::r::r: akoum firebird

6 mana (2)

2x :6::r::r: bedlam reveler

land (22)

1x island
1x swamp
4x mountain
2x wandering fumarole
2x smoldering marsh
2x sunken hollow
2x drowned catacomb
2x sulfur falls
2x dragonskull summit
4x evolving wilds

edit: Thought I should probably explain the deck and why it works. Basically, because it's really really efficient.

From the top of the list you have neonate, which is an evasive early threat that recycles itself, lightning axe which kills almost anything, plus 1 mana madness spells. Combined you get a lot of bang for your buck for only 2 mana.

Jace is strong even in a deck without madness cards, so auto-include. Thermo-alchemist is downright amazing, I'm surprised we even got it in duels. With all the cheap spells alchemists go off constantly. Drop a couple of them early on, then turn 4 cast something like telling time/lightning axe/fiery temper and it's gg already, plus it blocks stuff. Telling time because you need card selection with 3 colours and 22 land. Take inventory helps in longer matches, and it's another cheap spell for the alchemists. Also you can discard the first one or two if you need to and still get value.

Fiery temper and alms of the vein I covered already. You'll cast them for 1 about 70% of the time. Alms of the vein I think is massively underrated, at least in a deck like this where you have lots of other creature removal anyways, it's usually better than fiery temper because of the lifegain. Read the bones is card advantage and selection, so like telling time really important for the 3 colours to work. Radiant flames to punish aggro players. Collective defiance because it's one of the most efficient cards in duels, every mode on it is good. Though you'll usually just cast it for 4 to kill a creature and hit them for 3.

Firebird is still one of the best red cards. A flying haste 3/3 for 4 is already strong, but with it's ability it can win longer games by itself if it isn't exiled. Last card is reveler, cast it for 2 on an empty hand, get 3 cards and a 3/4 prowess. The most efficient card in the deck when it works.

TL;DR: Burn, efficiency, card advantage, synergy. Deck works good. Try it out.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:39 pm 

LOVE IT, printing off decklist now. red mages unite! Looking at this quickly I barely understand what the blue and black are doing in this thing, but I'll take it for a spin just the same. Looks like fun, thanks!

maybe Haven should take a look at a burn deck that actually CAN win a tournament...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:34 pm 

LOVE IT, printing off decklist now. red mages unite! Looking at this quickly I barely understand what the blue and black are doing in this thing, but I'll take it for a spin just the same. Looks like fun, thanks!

maybe Haven should take a look at a burn deck that actually CAN win a tournament...

Yeah, I noticed it actually has Akoum Firebird in the list :/

Looks good, but I think Black is probably just making the mana jankier, but I get what the deck is trying to do.
Especially like the fact that it doesn't have a single PW...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:47 pm 

Identity: Mech
Preferred Pronoun Set: Robot
I like the concept but I've tried it and most of the time I ended up wishing the alms of the vein were stormchaser apprentices and read the bones was fevered visions. The mana also has problems.

When it works it is a blast though. :)

Like this post