It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:20 am 

I actually met Randy Buehler at a tournament back in the day, nice guy... You just made me get nostalgic...

Problem with mono-blue draw-go is called gaea's revenge. Too many decks run it and short of a lucky mil, mono blue has zero answers for it.
RDW can also throw too many low cost threats at you, compared to the higher-cost counterspells you've got and it has an uncounterable to the face spell Exquisite firecraft.
That and the "when ### is cast" effects which happen anyway, even if countered (ex: ulamog)
I've tried to build a draw-go deck and it does kill the AI, but thats about it and its a bit slowing for grinding gold imo...
To make it anywhere near viable, your going to have to splash another color, for sweepers for example.

Last edited by Haven_pt on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:19 am 

Monoblue/simic control 's answer to Gaea's Revenge is Thopter Spy Network. Built correctly, the deck is favourite in the Gruul matchup provided it can keep up counters for Rolling thunder and Ulamog, The Ceaseless Hunger. Revenge can just be ignored and chumped. If your board gets radiant flamesed, you fog the attack and use Whirler rogue to repopulate asap. Chandra's Ignition is dealt with through Disperse; so the main trumps the Gruul player has, and few run it, is Plated Crusher, or Oran-Rief Hydra.

Legend VD has a Simic tutelage control deck which I like alot actually, here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p508VSb4_i8
Only thing I feel is lacking here (IMHO) is a second displacement wave and a Greenwarden of Murasa, which ironically would be much better in this deck if it was Eternal Witness. I feel the deck can cheat on a land for the greenwarden because of the free mull and the number of cantrips/draw.

Caution:

This archetype has a poor matchup vs monogreen ramp due to all the trample; RDW, and Thopters (although even decent thopter hands can be beaten if you see a displacement wave). But Mid-range, control and Standard Gruul ramp are decent/good matchups.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:07 am 

I've taken a liking to a mono-blue tempo/artifact deck; borrowing the tempo from mono blue and the strength of artificats from colorless. Oh and the lack-of-mana-problems from mono.

1 Runed servitor (Should be changed, but haven't found a 1 or 2 artifact that is better yet)
4 Perilous myr (combats aggro)
3 esperzoa
3 chief of the foundry
3 bottle gnomes (counters aggro/midrange sack decks until thopter spy network)
3 juggernaut
3 Whirler rogue

2 sigil of valor
4 alchemist's vial

1 claustrophobia (Similar problem to runed servitor)
1 Calculated dismissal
3 Artificer's epiphany
3 Anchor to the aether
2 Thopter spy network

18 Island
3 Foundry of consuls
3 Rogue's passage

There are several win conditions to this deck: There's the esperzoa which can win the game if it can juggle a 2-mana-drop. Then the obvious juggernaut can win games if you drop it at turn 4 and they are ramp, especially when backed by a chief of the foundry. And the Thopter spy network enables another win condition. If the game stalls you make a thopter/whatever unblockable and use sigil of valor.

But even more impressive than the win conditions, is the ability for this deck to keep your hand full/gain card advantage. Between Thopter spy network, Calculated dismissal and the esperzoa/alchemist's vial combo, you draw a lot of cards. And Anchor to the aether will give you the perfect setup for a board control if used at the right moment. (Either stalling the opponent's ramped massive creature, or delaying an aggro deck so thopter spy network can spawn enough blockers).

Good start hands are basically all hands with 3+ mana, but even 2 lands are playable if you have a vial + myr and a few other 3 mana spells. Against mass removal you have your "full hand" to start rebuilding, sometimes it's hence good to keep an extra esperzoa in check.
Worst matchups tend to be elves decks which have well timed artifact/enchantment removal, out-tempoing you just as you drop chief of the foundry and thopter spy network.
Also if the opponent really gets to 10+ mana without you having either enough damage to kill him if he doesn't keep constant blockers - or a thopter spy network throwing thopters will lose too. Ulamog's too scary, and bouncing it just makes your weaker.
As with any tribal deck a heavy control rakdos deck (sac + act of betrayal type) is hard if you don't draw the correct cards: if you see that resist the urge to play juggernaut/esperzoa until you know their hand is void of act of betrayal's - you'll have to win using your smaller creatures and thopter spy network. Take advantage of a well timed Anchor to the aether once their hand is nearly empty so that you can then start playing big things and prevent him from getting more betrayals (as well as removing counters).

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:39 pm 

You wanna play something so ridiculous that it makes you giggle like a schoolgirl when you win? I call it Brain Flush:

Creatures (2)
2x Thing in the Ice

Artifacts (2)
2x Brain in a Jar

Enchantments (3)
3x Sphinx's Tutelage

Instants & Sorceries (29)
4x Clutch of Currents
4x Disperse
3x Just the Wind
2x Displacement Wave
2x Scatter to the Winds
4x Artificer's Epiphany
4x Comparative Analysis
2x Confirm Suspicions
2x Pore Over the Pages
1x Crush of Tentacles
2x Rise from the Tides

Land (23)
23x Island

In theory this has no right to work whatsoever. In practice I'm 4-1 with it :D
Not saying that it's a great deck, but it's better than it looks. You need Brain, Tutelage or Thing in the Ice to stick reasonably early. Either of them should give you a good chance. Brain in a Jar is the all-star 2-drop, when this thing sticks, you're gonna have a blast playing multiple spells a turn.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:14 am 

Finally made working mono blue that runs a lots of counter spells. It's pretty fun to play and it's funny to win game with 10-20 2/2 zombie tokens with one attack. Basically u just counter all the good stuff and when u have either 9 mana and counter in hand u cast Rise from the Tides or u have 12 mana to cast time walk + Rise from the Tides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A11YxdZAeYI

1 x Clutch of Currents
1 x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
2 x Thing In the Ice
2 x Sigiled Starfish
3 x Horribly Awry
3 x Telling Time
1 x Disperse
1 x Displacement Wave
2 x Scattered to the Wind
3 x Broken Concentration
4 x Spell Shrivel
4 x Comparative Analysis
2 x Bone to Ash
1 x Coastal Discovery
1 x Jace, Unraveler of Secrects
1 x Part the Wareveil
2 x Rise from the Tides
22 x Island
4 x Skyline Cascade

Note that in this build i did use Bone to Ash but i just yesterday changed them to Confirm Suspicions which is imo better card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:23 pm 

2 x Dimensional Infiltrator
2 x Blinding Drone
3 x Telling Time
3 x Spatial Contortion
3 x Eldrazi Skyspawner
2 x Matter Reshaper
2 x Scatter to the Winds
3 x Titan's Presence
3 x Juggernaut
2 x Thought-Knot Seer
3 x Comparative Analysis
2 x Guardian of Tazeem
1 x Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
2 x Deepfathom Skulker
2 x Endbringer
1 x Crush of Tentacles

13 x Island
1 x Wastes
3 x Rogue's Passage
2 x Westvale Abbey
2 x Ruins of Oran-Rief
3 x Foundry of the Consuls

This list has been performing admirably. It does tend to auto lose to monsters with higher power toughness than 5/5 and needs to outrace enchantment based mill decks. With that said Crush of Tentacles does seem to be a dead card everytime I have drawn it. I was thinking about what to replace it with so here I am posting it up on nga :D. I also might get rid of scatter to the winds as it has been sitting in my hand more often than not with me being tapped out.

Edit: replaced crush of tentacles with reality smasher and 2 x scatter to the winds with 1 x blinding drone and 1 x eldrazi skyspawner

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:33 pm 

binderato wrote:
2 x Dimensional Infiltrator
2 x Blinding Drone
3 x Telling Time
3 x Spatial Contortion
3 x Eldrazi Skyspawner
2 x Matter Reshaper
2 x Scatter to the Winds
3 x Titan's Presence
3 x Juggernaut
2 x Thought-Knot Seer
3 x Comparative Analysis
2 x Guardian of Tazeem
2 x Deepfathom Skulker
2 x Endbringer
1 x Crush of Tentacles

13 x Island
1 x Wastes
3 x Rogue's Passage
2 x Westvale Abbey
2 x Ruins of Oran-Rief
3 x Foundry of the Consuls

This list has been performing admirably. It does tend to auto lose to monsters with higher power toughness than 5/5 and needs to outrace enchantment based mill decks. With that said Crush of Tentacles does seem to be a dead card everytime I have drawn it. I was thinking about what to replace it with so here I am posting it up on nga :D. I also might get rid of scatter to the winds as it has been sitting in my hand more often than not with me being tapped out.

Edit: replaced crush of tentacles with reality smasher and 2 x scatter to the winds with 1 x blinding drone and 1 x eldrazi skyspawner

Is Titan's Presence so great that you need to run 3x Juggernaut?
How about :
-3 Titan's Presence +3 Horribly Awry
-3 Juggernaut +3 Whirler Rogue
-2 Scatter +2 Just the Wind

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:59 pm 

The problem I have found with counterspells is I rarely have mana left open with this deck to use them. This deck is a bit more aggressive so I can't really sit back on awry. Titan's presence is for threats that get through so I can keep swinging without slowing down my deck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:11 pm 

binderato wrote:
The problem I have found with counterspells is I rarely have mana left open with this deck to use them. This deck is a bit more aggressive so I can't really sit back on awry. Titan's presence is for threats that get through so I can keep swinging without slowing down my deck.

I understand how counterspells suck in an aggro deck without flash. Juggernaut is a terrible card, there should a better option...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:55 pm 

Mono Blue Fliers

4 x faerie miscreant
2 x rattlechains
2 x dimensional infiltrator
3 x compelling detterance
3 x disperse
4 x eldrazi skyspawner
4 x scrapskin drake
3 x whirler rogue
2 x guardian of tazeem
2 x soulblade djinn
4 x jwar island avenger
1 x jace, unraveler of secrets
1 x part the waterveil

20 x island
2 x foundry of the consuls
2 x rogue's passage

Deck performance has been pretty fast. This deck has a 10-3 record so far and I will continue to keep you guys updated. Things that I might get rid of are 4 x jwar island avenger and 1 x jace, unraveler of secrets. I am thinking of swapping them with 4 x welkin tern and 1 x pore over the pages. Let me know what you guys think.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:30 pm 

Last edited by PureSynesthesia on Sat May 14, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:27 pm 

Lol, the only win condition is a demoralized concession, I love it

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:54 pm 

Tides is actually a very good finisher if you can back it up with counters. However, there are only 3 Disperse to deal with stuff that gets around your counters and you can't counter multiple weenies early on. The way it is now it will auto-lose against low curves. You could try Tightening Coils to get rid of something turn 4+ when you can counter and coil on the same turn. Otherwise every 1-drop creature kills you eventually.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:14 am 

Identity: Lonely Card-Counter
My stab at a mono-blue deck. Once you get going, it's very difficult to stop.

Unrelenting Horrors

Creatures
2 x Thing in the Ice

Planeswalker

Instants
3 x Horribly Awry
2 x Compelling Deterrence
3 x Telling Time
4 x Just the Wind
2 x Scatter to the Winds
3 x Broken Concentration
4 x Calculated Dismissal
4 x Artificer's Epiphany
2 x Confirm Suspicion

3 x Anchor to the Aether
3 x Pore Over the Pages
3 x Rise from the Tides

17 x Island
4 x Skyline Cascade

The only 'bad' match-up for this deck is Mill unless you manage to counter their Tutor, but if you can pull off a strong Tides and counter their attempt at board clear, you might have a chance. Even 'unfavorable' ones like weenies or control are really just 'undesirable' since you still have a strong chance to win.

If you can't play your Thing in the Ice on turn 2, don't play it until you can protect it. If they're dropping a Lightning Axe or Exquisite Firecraft or otherwise bouncing it on turn 3, then you're likely pulling ahead just by forcing their hand there. A nice combos of sorts is using your Rise from the Tides to activate your TitI, as it flips BEFORE the zombies spawn.

Your win cons are obviously TitI and Tides. The only way to stop Tides, really, is with board clear, and most decks don't run more than 1 or 2, so never double-stack your zombies. If you suspect that they are running a lot of board clear for some reason or are also a counter deck, make sure you have mana for a counter in reserve. Late-game when you can drop like 15 in one go the opponent will typically just scoop.

I've considered running baby Jace, but have nothing I really want to remove for him and he doesn't really add anything to the deck in my opinion. Because there are so few targets for removal, the likelihood of you being able to get him to flip is so small. I can see the argument being made for getting yet another Tides off with his ability, but I just don't see him surviving long enough to do so. At least Innistrad Jace can kick back a creature the moment he comes into play.

Last edited by Sir_Shadow on Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:28 am 

21 lands in a control deck? I would add full sets of Westvale Abbey and Foundry of the Consuls and probably not remove any other lands to make room. Also Brain in a Jar, and probably Drownyards with all the discard. Also Spell Shrivel is strictly better than Calculated Dismissal unless there is something I'm missing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:37 am 

The Scry is valuable on calculated dismissal; It'll let you control your early draws well. Westvale Abbey and Foundry of the Consuls are not useful in my opinion as you will almost never use their effect, though I suppose I could see the argument for Westvale, the mana cost is just too high for too little effect.

Brain in a Jar, while nice, takes too much time to set up and is not going to help us win. Drownyard, similarly, is going to sit in the graveyard because you're almost never going to bring it back.

The reason that Mill decks are your enemy is not because you're losing cards, it's because you're milling yourself a ton with this deck as it is. I typically ends games having half the deck my opponent has.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:19 am 

21 lands definitely seem like too few. Your deck needs to hit at least 3 lands consistently to draw more cards. 23-24 lands seem where you want to be at. I'd likely cut something like 1 Dismissal 1 Epiphany; or Anchor to the Aether (see below)
I'd consider running Compelling Deterrence over Disperse, that card is almost strictly upside for you.
I don't like Anchor to the Aether that much; mainly because you have to tap out main phase to cast itt which kinda goes against your deck's premise. These kinds of Effects are great in Limited but a lot less good in Constructed (see also Roil Spout.
A card I could see as a decent addition is Displacement Wave, just to give you some time vs. Aggro strategies.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:29 am 

Oh wow, you're right. I don't know how I missed Compelling Deterrence.

I like Anchor to the Aether for 2 reasons. It stalls card-draw for the opponent and allows me to scry. Scrying is such a strong thing in this deck.

Displacement Wave is something I considered, but I haven't had many issues with winning vs Aggro and it is next to impossible to cast if I have my TitI flipped or zombies out.

On the subject of lands, I really haven't had too many issues getting what I need thanks to the card draw and scry effects. With more testing, I probably would remove a Dismissal and something else that is underperforming to add another land or two.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:24 pm 

Gegliosch wrote:
You wanna play something so ridiculous that it makes you giggle like a schoolgirl when you win? I call it Brain Flush:

Creatures (2)
2x Thing in the Ice

Artifacts (2)
2x Brain in a Jar

Enchantments (3)
3x Sphinx's Tutelage

Instants & Sorceries (29)
4x Clutch of Currents
4x Disperse
3x Just the Wind
2x Displacement Wave
2x Scatter to the Winds
4x Artificer's Epiphany
4x Comparative Analysis
2x Confirm Suspicions
2x Pore Over the Pages
1x Crush of Tentacles
2x Rise from the Tides

Land (23)
23x Island

In theory this has no right to work whatsoever. In practice I'm 4-1 with it :D
Not saying that it's a great deck, but it's better than it looks. You need Brain, Tutelage or Thing in the Ice to stick reasonably early. Either of them should give you a good chance. Brain in a Jar is the all-star 2-drop, when this thing sticks, you're gonna have a blast playing multiple spells a turn.

I've had a ton of fun with this deck. I made some changes, and it might be considered a different deck, but I wanted to give credit to the original build. Here's my post-EMN release build (comments welcome):

1 x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
2 x Thing in the Ice
2 x Brain in a Jar
2 x Horribly Awry
2 x Unsubstantiate
2 x Disperse
2 x Displacement Wave
1 x Scatter to the Winds
3 x Broken Concentration
3 x Spell Shrivel
3 x Calculated Dismissal
4 x Catalog
2 x Sweep Away
1 x Pieces of the Puzzle
1 x Confirm Suspicions
1 x Part the Waterveil
3 x Rise from the Tides
18 x Island
2 x Geier Reach Sanitarium
4 x Skyline Cascade

I would love to unlock the last 2 Unsubstantiate and maybe the full play set of Take Inventory, but it is what it is.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:44 pm 

Identity: WithoutLuster
Preferred Pronoun Set: Q

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next