It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:14 pm 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
This is a place for all skill levels. I mean they let me in here for crying out loud.

The community should be paid for having to endure your presence. :gross:

Wait, you didn't get your check yet?!?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:13 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
This is a place for all skill levels. I mean they let me in here for crying out loud.

The community should be paid for having to endure your presence. :gross:

Wait, you didn't get your check yet?!?

Yeah that's odd Mega. Barney's mom is usually on time with the cheques.

DJ, do you get the pictures too? My favorite is the one where Barney is wearing the meat necklace so the dog would play with him.

Barney's mom is the best. In fact she's a saint. She has to be. :D

elk

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:28 am 

Rodney Dangerfield, ladies and gentlemen.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:24 pm 

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Been toying with mono U since BFZ release and would appreciate any/all feedback on this take!

4 x Clutch Of Currents
1 x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 x Telling Time
2 x Disperse
4 x Eldrazi Skyspawner
2 x Retreat To Coralhelm
2 x Scatter To The Winds
3 x Spell Shrivel
3 x Calculated Dismissal
2 x Anchor To The Æther
2 x Adverse Conditions
3 x Coastal Discovery
2 x Guardian Of Tazeem
2 x Willbreaker
25 x Island

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:22 pm 

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Been toying with mono U since BFZ release and would appreciate any/all feedback on this take!

4 x Clutch Of Currents
1 x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 x Telling Time
2 x Disperse
4 x Eldrazi Skyspawner
2 x Retreat To Coralhelm
2 x Scatter To The Winds
3 x Spell Shrivel
3 x Calculated Dismissal
2 x Anchor To The Æther
2 x Adverse Conditions
3 x Coastal Discovery
2 x Guardian Of Tazeem
2 x Willbreaker
25 x Island

Shrivel is common you can have 4. I hate calculated dismissal, 3 mana is too easy to pay. Whirler rogue is good with wb. Is awaken your main win condition? Looks promising against ramp. Aggro will destroy you. Very little card draw for a deck that wants to stall. You could go more aggro with welkin tern and Jessian thief. Or more control with tutes or spy network. Coastal Discovery is awesome with awaken but weak without it. How do your games go? What are you success full against?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:47 pm 

I'm 8-3 so far with 2 losses to Orzhov lifegain and Orzhov aggro and one dumb loss to a UW rally deck that I misplayed horribly.

Main wincon is wb. Awaken is secondary wincon if I can't keep wb on table. Hard to balance draw with counter since I need one in hand more often than not to ensure wb stays around.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:08 am 

Could not try the deck yet, but I was wondering about the idea for a while of creating a mono blue deck:

counters:

3x Horribly Awry
3x Spell Shrivel
2x Scatter To The Winds
2x Countermand

Creatures:

1x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3x Whirler's Rogue
2x Willbreaker
1x Disciple of the Ring
2x Drowner of Hope
1x Guardian of Tazeem
2x Thopter Spy Network

draw:

3x Alchemist's Vial
3x Artificer's Epiphany
3x Telling Time

utility:
2x Disperse
2x Anchor to the Aether
1x Displacement Wave

3x Foundry of the Consuls
21x Island

The idea is to control the board early with counters, and try to get decent card draw, thr Countermand are hard counters for late game. The main win conditios are Willbreaker, a big Disciple of the Ring and thopters. I really would like to put a Displacement eave somewhere to desl with tokens and small Creatures, but sometimes its a dead card in your hand.

EDIT:

Tested it today went 4-0 at the 25 ranks. Doing decent. Out of the games 2 were won without a willbreaker, just with control on the board via Guardian of tazeem and drowner of hope, getting card drow with thopter network.

Also Displacement Wave totally won be a game vs a W/R Aggro, casting it at turn 5, after using disperse at turn 4 on an enchanted iroa champion. Then the thopters took the game.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:15 am 

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:20 pm 

SnowWhite wrote:

Thopter Spy Network is just a card I haven't been able to bring myself to justify. It's too slow imo. I personally feel if you drop the mini artifact focus you have here, it could be tweaked to be more consistent.

Willbreaker can definitely be fun to toy with but it's just too reliant on other factors to be better than a solid drop that does something NOW imo. If you REALLY want to play Willbreaker I think you should STRONGLY consider Retreat To Coralhelm.

Bounce/countering is always a fun style of play!

Youtube
Spoiler

Steam Handle: ibestest
PSN: iBestestGaming

Last edited by 2bestest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:22 pm 

Can you please stop leaving.. it's always a better time with 2bestest around.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:40 pm 

Can you please stop leaving.. it's always a better time with 2bestest around.

haha! Sorry. :(

I have been really disappointed with the execution of Magic Duels. I really don't get how they haven't made your card pool available across all platforms via an account.

It seems that ios is easier to find matches now, so I am playing again! :D

I don't have a PC and for the life of me I can't understand why they don't make Magic Duels available for Steam on MACos..

I have missed mr. MegaBeast!

Youtube
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:03 pm 

OK, I'll be honest. I'm sick of him already

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:11 pm 

OK, I'll be honest. I'm sick of him already

Tell your mom I failed to receive my cheques too..

Youtube
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:40 pm 

Mom jokes? Did we get transported back to the 90s?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:34 pm 

Your mom goes to college.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:02 pm 

Hakeem928 wrote:
Mom jokes? Did we get transported back to the 90s?

Must have. They started it earlier in the thread. ;P

Youtube
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:10 pm 

Has anyone managed to build a decent (read: second-tier is fine) mill deck?

I'm trying the following right now. It's working ok-ish against the AI but I'm afraid it will get trounced versus humans. It might be a fluke, but I have a 0-win record against players running mono-blue mill. Not sure if it's a fluke. Wish I'd noted down what they were playing.

Mono-Blue "Why Not" Mill

3 x Salvage Drone

1 x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 x Alchemist's Vial
3 x Horribly Awry
4 x Disperse
2 x Displacement Wave

3 x Jhessian Thief
3 x Sphinx's Tutelage
3 x Artificer's Epiphany

3 x Whirler Rogue
2 x Thopter Spy Network
3 x Coastal Discovery

1 x Part the Waterveil

1 x Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

18 x Island
3 x Foundry of the Consuls
3 x Skyline Cascade

I was thinking of maybe replacing the counters with tempo cards such as Frost Lynx... Or maybe the ubiquitous Perilous Myr.

Comments welcome!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:20 pm 

Are you insistent on mono-blue?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:29 pm 

Yeah. I try and build a deck of each archetype with a more or less unique "theme". Plus, as I said, it's worked well against me, so there must be -some- way...

(Btw, been playing your Simic tempo deck, Hakeem, and I'm at 18-9 currently. It's fun! I've just added some Harbinger of the Tides and Skyline Cascades to see if it makes it even better...)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:35 pm 

I've been relying on you guys for Duels decklists and have been doing pretty well, so I figured I'd submit my own MUC deck:

Creatures:
1x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1x Disciple of the Ring

Spells:
4x Clutch of the Currents
2x Horribly Awry
3x Telling Time
2x Displacement Wave
3x Sphinx's Tutelage
2x Scatter to the Winds
4x Spell Shrivel
2x Artificer's Epiphany
4x Inspiration
4x Countermand
2x Bone to Ash
3x Coastal Discovery

Lands:
16x Island
3x Foundy of the Consuls
4x Skyline Cascade

The basic idea here was to imitate the classic "Draw, Go" deck Randy Buehler ran back in 97. I used to have one of those tournament decks (before someone stole it at prerelease I was attending) and it was always a lot of fun. The deck takes a lot of effort to pilot but I can beat the computer with it consistently and can beat human players more often than not, although I think only because of its novelty. It needs more tinkering to be top tier.

Your basic plan is to do as little as possible, just answering everything your opponent throws at you, then swing in unopposed with Awakened lands and Thopters, or (more likely) mill them out with Sphinx's Tutelage. It harkens back to the old days of Magic where you mostly just responded to the other guy, and it takes a little getting used to passing up opportunities to play things just so you can counter something - or bluff a counter.

Some explanations as to why I chose these cards:
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy - Enables us to mill more with the Tutelage, churn through surplus lands, and keep small creatures at bay. Gets killed a lot, but that's to be expected.
Disciple of the Ring - Dropping her late, she can protect herself by burning up the numerous instants and sorceries in your graveyard by the time she comes out. I like to drop her with 3-4 mana open, it's not unusual for her to counter (or at least hold at bay) multiple threats when your graveyard is full.
Clutch of the Currents - An essential solution to creatures which do manage to land,
Horribly Awry - While of limited usefulness, it does get rid of a lot of early creatures and a two-mana counterspell is a two-mana counterspell. Cast it early if it comes up.
Telling Time - Lets us start setting up our hand and draws early, and ensures we get lands in the early game, spells in the late game. Also as an instant you want it so you can play it
Displacement Wave - While it doesn't clear out the Awakened lands, it does do a number on tokens and it lets you put the early game away if you get behind. Don't be afraid to cast it to stop one creature, you need an empty board most of the time.
Sphinx's Tutelage - The usual win condition. Don't cast it without a way to protect it, especially when your opponent figures out what you're doing.
Scatter to the Winds - The best counterspell in the game, and also a great way to get man-lands for later.
Spell Shrivel - You rely on this a lot, since it can counter stuff well into the mid-game. Always cast it over the hard counters when possible, since it becomes irrelevant late.
Artificer's Epiphany - You almost never get the benefit of not needing to discard, but you'll always have extra lands, and it's an instant you can cast at the end of a turn, after you've held on to your counters.
Inspiration - You'll be casting this a lot during your opponent's turn to set up your next draw.
Countermand - Overpriced, but the only real hard counter out there that isn't rare. And it helps push you towards a mill victory.
Bone to Ash - Because counters are hard to come by and you need something to counter late-game Eldrazi and other big creatures.
Coastal Discovery - I'm surprised at how often I cast this to animate the land. It helps you keep your hand full late-game and also ensures that if you aren't milling the guy out
Lands - 23 lands is more than enough considering your mana curve and the fact you drag the game out so long and tend to do little on your own turn. I find that dropping the Cascades at the right early moments helps me buy time, and the Foundries are primarily for chump blocking.

Cards I didn't pick and why:
Dispel - while a one-mana counterspell sounds great, it was a dead card in my hand every time I played with it.
Disperse - I ran two, but the wave is better, since it doesn't bounce my Awakened lands.
Anchor to Aether - same fate as the Disperse, for the same reason.
Calculated Dismissal - Spell Shrivel remains relevant longer, and while Scry would be useful, you already draw a /lot/ of cards in this deck, and most of your cards are redundant with one another, so setting up your draws isn't as important here as it usually is.
Sigiled Starfish - with so few creatures in the deck, it did little to stop attackers and just soaked up the removal that would otherwise be moot.

Some overall advice based on the games I've played:
- You should generally aim for a milling victory, focus on countering as much as you can early, then get a few Awakened lands out for blocking, and only resort to attacking for the win if you can clearly go for it in a few turns with a number of Awakened lands.
- If you have to ask yourself "should I counter that?" the answer is "yes."
- Do as little during your own turn as possible, and play as much as you can during your opponent's turn.
- Unless you need to do so in order to stop a creature from killing you, you should avoid Awakening lands until you can throw out countermagic to defend them. With so few targets, your opponent's removal will target them immediately.
- Always be efficient with your counters, using the Awry, Bone or Shrivel when possible, and resorting to Scatter or Countermand only when you have to.
- Your biggest enemies are man-lands (since you can't counter them or bounce them and must block them) and Planeswalkers (since the only thing you can do is counter them). Plan accordingly.
- Counter card draw, not the cards that are drawn, so that you maintain your card draw advantage.
- Don't feel obligated to wait until you can pay an Awakening cost. The early game will be rough for you so don't be afraid to bounce, counter or draw if it keeps you going until your opponent runs out of steam. You'll get some Thopters or Awakened lands eventually.
- Your objective is to delay, delay, delay until you can get a Tutelage going, so focus on doing whatever forces your opponent to slow down or try something else. You'll almost always draw more cards than them, so you can just keep answering their threats until you take control.

I hope you guys find this deck fun, just like I did, and if you find any tweaks or improvements that you can make I'd love to hear them. I don't think this can be a top tier deck, but it is, at least, playable and can consistently beat the computer and low-ranked players.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next