It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:23 pm 

Mono-Blue Decklists

Blue Cards

Colourless Cards

Non-Basic Lands

Last edited by Garren_Windspear on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:44 am 

Hi all,

Building this Mono Blue deck was tough and easy -
it's hard not to take the decks onto its more artifact based notion, but there weren't too many other cards to build a formidable control from at first glance, especially with supposed-to-be-finishers like Soulblade Djinn having only 3 toughness.
It would've also been easier to just go and build UX deck, especially a Dimir control.
I rather the adventure.

My eventual first build of non-artifact-based mono-blue -

Lands
20 x Island
2 x Foundry of the Consuls
2 x Rogue's Passage

Spells
4 x Disperse
4 x Telling Time
3 x Calculated Dismissal
2 x Hydrolash
4 x Countermand

4 x Claustrophobia

2 x Displacement Wave
3 x Anchor to the AEther
2 x Talent of the Telepath

Creatures
2 x Juggernaut
2 x Harbinger of the Tides
2 x Ringwarden Owl
1 x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 x Disciple of the Ring

The CMC Curve goes 10-12-9-5, counting Harbringer once as 2 & once at 4 and Wave at X=3 (which seems the best fit)

Rogue's Passage - I first would like to tryout these for Juggernauts and the Owls, second option +1 Island, +1 Foundry.

The 2 CMC are no brainers, they're also an early fuel for Talent.

The 3 CMC are for continual defense and delay.
Hydrolash is the weakest link, however it does draw a card back, so it seems like a fair trade to hold weenie and Thopter decks a turn.

Counterspelling - Countermand counters anything, unlike Bone to Ash (and because god forbid we'd have a Dismiss), and with enough intimidating non-creature spells and the addition of Calculated Dismissal, I barely had to wonder if I wanted it and left Bone to Ash out.

The creatures -
Jace is an automatic and Disciple is there over a 3rd Owl as the only really creature that actually does something. Juggernaut is still a powerhouse and the Owl is bigger than the Djinn pretty easily (they both die the same, but Owls become permanently 4+ toughness, while the Djinn doesn't (the latter does belong in a more creature-based deck).).
Harbinger seems really great, even as 2nd or 3rd turn drop to gain tempo.

All in all, I've built better with less for a pauper highlander tournament back in the day, however I'm glad to say I didn't automatically go for a midrange deck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:54 pm 

Uh Soulblade Djinn is better than the owl in every way..

I am giving this a try but with a few tweaks.

Youtube
Spoiler

Steam Handle: ibestest
PSN: iBestestGaming

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:31 am 

Don't run Talent of the Telepath, it will only break your heart and shatter your dreams.

So...this deck needs Jessian Thief, like really really really really needs it. The card is pretty awesome in decks like this.

My deck box on Magic Duels Helper - https://www.magicduelshelper.com/deckbo ... tGo%20Blue

My YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/DanielCovertGoBlueWagner

Love to HolyCrap_WOTF for the badge

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:52 am 

Don't run Talent of the Telepath, it will only break your heart and shatter your dreams.

So...this deck needs Jessian Thief, like really really really really needs it. The card is pretty awesome in decks like this.

Agreed

Youtube
Spoiler

Steam Handle: ibestest
PSN: iBestestGaming

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:04 pm 

Thanks for feedbacks. Neither of you is wrong, of course.
I did have your remarks in mind while building, but my thought process was that since the deck is meant for full delay control as anti-nonaggro-meta (except RDW and RW Renown I don't really see fast aggro right now, even BG Elves looks funny), I'd run lowest on creatures and those I do would be tech-only (and Juggernaut is the only 5 power creature blue has in normal CMC).

Owl vs Djinn - I reckoned Owl would deal more damage than the Djinn (through Rogue's Passage too) as it doesn't need an each-turn-pump to deal the damage Owl would as it pretty quickly turns to a solid 5/5. I know I'm probably wrong, but in any other kind of deck I'd put the Djinn without rethinking it.

Regarding Talent - Here I didn't want to put this, but I thought it was like putting in Reclamation Sage - spend 2 places for "sideboard" to have an edge.
Also, since most discussion is on B/R (with blue just behind), which mostly means lots of burn, removals and some tech, it seemed like a good choice as a 2-for-1 in most cases.
Any replacement ideas?

Regarding Thieves - I might be wrong but I don't see how in such a deck they go through without Passage or generally just live for that matter. If you have an idea, while keeping the deck control, I'd love to hear.

But, the other main blue deck is actually one of the fastest (curve of 2 & 3 only) and is easier to build too (and you can replace Jace) -

4 x Perilous Myr
4 x Runed Servitor
1 x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 x Jhessian Thief
2 x Esperzoa
2 x Bottle Gnomes
4 x Disperse
4 x Artificer's Epiphany
4 x Claustrophobia
3 x Anchor to the AEther
4 x Calculated Dismissal
2 x Rogue's Passage

21 x Island

This deck of course can be even faster and cheaper, but I stretched it enough IMO (-3 rares/mythic for +3 random low cmc artfacts for full pauper mode ;) )

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:42 pm 

Shefer wrote:
Thanks for feedbacks. Neither of you is wrong, of course.
I did have your remarks in mind while building, but my thought process was that since the deck is meant for full delay control as anti-nonaggro-meta (except RDW and RW Renown I don't really see fast aggro right now, even BG Elves looks funny), I'd run lowest on creatures and those I do would be tech-only (and Juggernaut is the only 5 power creature blue has in normal CMC).

Owl vs Djinn - I reckoned Owl would deal more damage than the Djinn (through Rogue's Passage too) as it doesn't need an each-turn-pump to deal the damage Owl would as it pretty quickly turns to a solid 5/5. I know I'm probably wrong, but in any other kind of deck I'd put the Djinn without rethinking it.

Regarding Talent - Here I didn't want to put this, but I thought it was like putting in Reclamation Sage - spend 2 places for "sideboard" to have an edge.
Also, since most discussion is on B/R (with blue just behind), which mostly means lots of burn, removals and some tech, it seemed like a good choice as a 2-for-1 in most cases.
Any replacement ideas?

Regarding Thieves - I might be wrong but I don't see how in such a deck they go through without Passage or generally just live for that matter. If you have an idea, while keeping the deck control, I'd love to hear.

But, the other main blue deck is actually one of the fastest (curve of 2 & 3 only) and is easier to build too (and you can replace Jace) -

4 x Perilous Myr
4 x Runed Servitor
1 x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 x Jhessian Thief
2 x Esperzoa
2 x Bottle Gnomes
4 x Disperse
4 x Artificer's Epiphany
4 x Claustrophobia
3 x Anchor to the AEther
4 x Calculated Dismissal
2 x Rogue's Passage

21 x Island

This deck of course can be even faster and cheaper, but I stretched it enough IMO (-3 rares/mythic for +3 random low cmc artfacts for full pauper mode ;) )

Did you read owl wrong? It has Prowess, the bonus is until end of turn. The Djinn's bonus is just like Prowess, but for all creatures you control, and it stacks on top of regular Prowess (Thief!), so yeah, Owl out and Djinn in, if you keep defending it we'll question your sanity in a caring way :)

Jessie's Thief - You have 17 ways to pump the thief before combat, making blocking awkward and dangerous for the opponent. If they have Reave Soul you are out of luck, but against almost everything else you are golden. Just try it. Jessie is a friend, you know she's been a good friend of mine...Rogue's Passage is icing on the cake, not a necessity to use this card.

Talent out, Thief in, Tada!

I haven't played with or against a mono-blue artifact build so I can't comment on that.

If you fear R/B you need a defense against the incremental damage of Perilous Myr and Goblin Arsonist. I use the scrying Starfish for this.

My deck box on Magic Duels Helper - https://www.magicduelshelper.com/deckbo ... tGo%20Blue

My YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/DanielCovertGoBlueWagner

Love to HolyCrap_WOTF for the badge

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:52 pm 

Djinn is obviously superior to Owl, but if you need another reason then a naked Djinn doesn't get hit by Reave Soul whereas the Owl does.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:23 pm 

My apologies to all.
I did misread the owl, which is my first since I started playing.
No doubt Djinn in :blush:

I''ll give the deck a longer run with your ideas

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:23 am 

Identity: Male

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:06 pm 

A lot of people are just assuming that the Artifact deck is :u::r: but I think it is possibly better in mono :u:. There aren't that many great red cards with artifact synergies, so once we let go of the removal that red offers we get to increase our artifact count, lower our curve somewhat, and play Esperzoa. We also get to play all three copies of Foundry of the Consuls with basically no penalty. It's a six-drop that taps for mana until you get to play it and is a great answer to a wrath. Here's my first take on it:

21 x Island
3 x Foundry of the Consuls

4 x Bonded Construct

3 x Runed Servitor
4 x Perilous Myr
4 x Alchemist's Vial
4 x Disperse

3 x Esperzoa
3 x Chief of the Foundry
4 x Aeronaut Tinkerer
2 x Artificer's Epiphany

3 x Whirler Rogue
2 x Thopter Spy Network

Some thoughts on the choices:

24 land - Even though the curve here is low, we still want to play our four-drops on time and activate Foundry of the Consuls. Esperzoa also taxes our mana, so I think 24 is the right number.

Bonded Construct - This card fulfills a few functions in our deck. Since we don't have access to red removal, a cheap creature with two power gets on board early and trades with most of the best two-drops in the game. It's basically a kill spell in this deck, but we also get to bounce it to Esperzoa for a cheaper tax, it gets upgraded by Chief of the Foundry, and we can tap it to activate Whirler Rogue's ability.

Runed Servitor - Good defense or aggression in the early game depending on the matchup.

Perilous Myr - We all know this guy and in this deck he gets to do all the same things he usually does while also enabling all the deck's artifact synergies.

Alchemist's Vial - I think this is a lot better than Artificer's Epiphany in this deck because after we draw a card we get a sweet ability to slow down aggressive decks or to disable blockers and win the game. Once we find an Esperzoa, we will be bouncing this thing all day long for extra cards.

Disperse - We need some interaction with opposing permanents and this is one of the better options in the card pool. Easy choice.

Esperzoa - The reason to play mono-blue and all the two-drop artifacts. It's immune to Reave Soul out of the box and has four power in the air for just three mana. This isn't D15 anymore where we have to manage three colors of mana to have enough cheap playable artifacts, and a 4/3 flier is huge in this pool.

Chief of the Foundry - Who doesn't love Tribal Lords? People sitting across from them, that's who.

Aeronaut Tinkerer - His ability will always be on in this deck, and a 2/3 flier for three mana is quite playable in this pool.

Artificer's Epiphany - We really want to be playing to the board with this deck and we already have four Vials and two Thopter Networks for card draw, so I think two copies of this card is fine. Instant-speed Divination is obviously excellent but you don't want this until the mid-to-late game because you're too busy doing other stuff early on.

Whirler Rogue - This card is excellent without any artifact synergies, but in a dedicated artifact deck he's even better. Love this guy.

Thopter Spy Network - Four mana is all you will ever pay for this, and after that you just get free creatures and free cards. It's tough to lose if you stick this and your opponent can't deal with it. It's not always a four-mana do-nothing either, because you can trigger some card draw on the turn you cast it, ensuring you get at least some value for your mana.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:13 pm 

The chick that gives Thopters haste is worth the red splash alone.. the Nalaar parents are excellent cards too. The multicolored card sucks the worst I think.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:19 pm 

I don't think giving haste to Thopters is worth a red splash at all. If you're playing hasted artifacts, you should be thinking about Juggernaut or something. The Nalaar parents are fine, but three mana and an artifact sacrifice is a lot for two damage. Plus it costs :r::r: so we're not really "splashing" anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:22 pm 

I agree about the Nalaar parents, even though they win games.. but the haste chick is money. You're gonna win with evasive tokens.. your ground guys won't be doing the lions share of the damage. With Chief of the Foundry out.. launching hasted 2/2s at the opponent is just so damn good.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:24 pm 

If you're winning with evasive tokens that are usually 1/1s and sometimes 2/2s then I would say haste isn't terribly important to clinch the victory.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:42 pm 

Hakeem928 wrote:
If you're winning with evasive tokens that are usually 1/1s and sometimes 2/2s then I would say haste isn't terribly important to clinch the victory.

It turns your clock up a few turns. She spawns a Thopter and gives you a 1/3 to hold down the ground with. I think she's a really strong card, especially in a deck that is doing it's damage 1-2 at a time.

You gonna put this deck on the channel?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:44 pm 

That's why I made the post, so I could have a link. I'm doing Elves tonight and this tomorrow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:48 pm 

Hakeem928 wrote:
That's why I made the post, so I could have a link. I'm doing Elves tonight and this tomorrow.

Nobody wants to watch ****ing Elves.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:06 pm 

Hakeem928 wrote:
Whirler Rogue - This card is excellent without any artifact synergies, but in a dedicated artifact deck he's even better. Love this guy.

It's a girl! Or a really girly looking guy.

An interesting decision not to play the Juggernaut. Apart from having a big butt, it has a lot of synergy with the Rogue. I understand there's probably no room for it and it's not as good without haste. I would probably try -2 Artificer's Epiphany, -1 Runed Servitor, +3 Juggernaut... Maybe later after I finish polishing my UR artifact deck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:08 pm 

Hakeem928 wrote:

Nobody wants to watch ****ing Elves.

+1
Elves are old.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next