It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:39 am 

• Based on the latest thread from the official forum by Dragon_Puncher (thank you).
  • Compiled using cards shown in this IGN video, this Gamespot video and other videos.
  • Huge thanks to Stevolutionary, dh50 and JP_Russel who undertook the original card compiling.
  • List have been updated based on the new information we have about Alara DLC. The list is not 100% confirmed, but highly likely.
  • With this list we have 298 cards in the main game, which is the same number we see in this new video from E3. Each colour has 51 cards.
  • Confirmed maximum card rarity restrictions: 4 Common, 3 Uncommon, 2 Rare, 1 Mythic Rare.
  • The game will be out July 9th on Ipad and July 16-17th on other platforms. Source
  • Looking for inspiration? Browse some example deck builds by Stevolutionary.
  • NEW! Looking for a guide on building decks? Read megamaster125's deck building guide.

White

Blue

Black

Red

Green

Multicoloured

Colourless

Non-Basic Land

Alara DLC

Last edited by Atharva on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:15 am, edited 27 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:40 am 

What do you think about my first attempt at a mill deck?

Mill - 60 Cards

Land (25)
17 x Island
8 x Plains

Creatures (15)
2 x Hedron Crab
2 x Coral Barrier
4 x Doorkeeper
2 x Guard Gomazoa
2 x Wall of Omens
1 x Mentor of the Meek
2 x Archaeomancer

Spells (14)
4 x Tome Scour
4 x Void Snare
2 x Reprisal
4 x Safe Passage

Artifcats (6)
2 x Millstone
2 x Elixir of Immortality
2 x Courier's Capsule

Thoughts:
  • I have no experience of deck building beyond 2014's sealed last year so I'm struggling with this.
  • I've been concerned over whether to include counterspells or not.
  • I've pondered over Inspired Charge and whether it could serve as a decent combat trick as the game matures. The in the cost needs to be carefully considered however.
  • There's many options for card draw such as Think Twice and Inspiration and while I have chosen Courier's Capsule I'm unsure about the decision.
  • Is this deck too slow, does it have enough mill? I'm expecting a weenie aggro heavy meta.
  • I did initially consider a deck using Fog and Grave Bramble instead of their obvious equivalents. I also wonder whether mono might end up being superior for mill?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:14 am 

I don't think this build will work.
not because you built it wrong, I just don't think the mill cards are good enough, and I think aggro will rule the meta.
don't play double plains with 8 plains. I would actually rather seeing extra 1-2 sources for plains.

Thank you for the work of putting all the list together.

Last edited by bentz on Mon May 26, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:31 am 

16 x Island
8 x Swamp

2 x Hedron Crab
4 x Doorkeeper
4 x Cloudfin Raptor
4 x Corpse Blockade
4 x Coral Barrier
2 x Guard Gomazoa
2 x Niblis of the Breath
1 x Roil Elemental

2 x Suffer the Past
1 x Illusionist's Bracers
4 x Negate
4 x Assassinate
2 x Switcheroo

Stevolutionary on the other forum came up with this, and I like this version of the deck better.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:02 pm 

There's not enough cards available to build a speed mill deck. Wait till we know what the rest of the cards are. They know how to build a mill deck and its obvious they want us to have the tools, they just haven't shown them all to us yet.

In regards to the OP: I think deck threads are going to both be more specific than "Red decks" and "U/G Decks"ect and are probably going to begin in a more organic way. What I mean by that is, instead of Red, we going to have a couple of people start threads like "Help me with my Burn deck" and "Goblins Deck Thread" ect. Those are the threads we're going to want make quick links to because that's where the conversations for specific archetypes are going to happen. If I want help for a Burn deck I'd rather not wade through conversation about goblins or RDW or Red/Equipment or whatever archetype arises.

To further support those threads we need to discourage the opening of multiple threads regarding the same archetype. We should respond to new threads with a link to the thread we designate as that archetypes main thread. This will keep all the info for Goblins condensed into a Goblins thread.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:20 pm 

I would say the mods should get involved to help us keep the discussions organized, and we should have a stickied thread linking to the archetype-specific discussions.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:30 pm 
MTG Moderator

Well...I agree, we need to come up with some type of organization, or there's going to be 100's of threads with similar info in them.

Open to any suggestions - do we have a sticky thread up top with links to specific color combo threads?

I'd be perfectly happy to maintain that, have it as a sticky with links to threads.

Open discussion! Jump in, and we'll build it however it seems to make the most sense.

Please make sure you read the Code of Conduct

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:41 pm 

I think that 15 threads, 5 for mono colors, 10 for dual colors is a nice start.
perhaps 10 more for triple colors, and one for rainbow (which can include 4 colors also).

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:46 pm 
MTG Moderator

How about this...

I'll unsticky the existing 2014 threads - make a generic sticky thread for "older" links, and OP of that one, have all of the links needed for all the 2014 (and 13/12 stuff) that we've got.
Then, create a master 2015 thread (also sticky) which will have links to all created decklist threads, and the threads with the card lists, and everything else that we end up wanting..

I won't create the color threads now (I'll let people do that as they come up with ideas) but let's agree on a standard format.

*Wonders to himself if threads can have mana symbols in them*

Please make sure you read the Code of Conduct

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:29 pm 

I am ridiculously stoked for this, games will be a little less predicable i think, even though there will probably 5-6 decks that will be copied to ad nauseam, there will always be people with rogue decks running around.

I'm happy that we are limited to 1 rare and 1 mythic, rares tend to be more obvious in power. there will be alot more debate on uncommons and commons, which i think will make decks a little more variant.

I like this and am excited for it, I really hope they dont screw it up somehow, or really gouge us for those premiums, pretty sure most white decks will want 4 squadron hawks, and i hope they don't come 5$ a piece or something ridiculous.

Might as well start brewing for when it comes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:54 pm 

People,should be focusing more on self-mill decks to abuse Bloodghast, Vengevine, Spider Spawning, Nemesis of Mortals, and whatever else is out there. Forget milling your opponent.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:29 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: He
This thread could be very useful for general discussion of decks and then any deck that pops up could have a thread for them e.g. goblins thread or esper artifacts thread.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:30 pm 

People,should be focusing more on self-mill decks to abuse Bloodghast, Vengevine, Spider Spawning, Nemesis of Mortals, and whatever else is out there. Forget milling your opponent.

Spider Spawning enough said I am so doing this, add think twice to the mix.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:36 pm 

Been wanting to do something like this for a while:

2 x Wall of Omens
2 x Guard Gomazoa
1 x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 x Skymark Roc
1 x Rhox Faithmender
1 x Battlegrace Angel
1 x Baneslayer Angel
1 x Soul of Ravnica
1 x Resolute Archangel

3 x Righteous Blow
1 x Elixir of Immortality
4 x Think Twice
3 x Negate
2 x Reprisal
1 x Nullify
2 x Arrest
2 x Dissolve
2 x Inspiration
1 x Divine Verdict
1 x Planar Cleansing

13 x Island
13 x Plains

Rough start draft, but yeah Typical UW Control

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:21 pm 

Unfortunatly, that archtype seems pretty bad since self mill cards in is super limited. I surpose you could add blue, but going 3 color for some pretty sub par mill, doesn't seem great either. Hopefully the dlc can add some Mulch and Splinterfright to get that archtype going.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:01 am 

Location: [loh-key-shuh n] n. A place of settlement, activity, or residence.

I was thinking about that when I was first looking at the spoiled list a while ago, I was like "Hmm, it's pretty cool how all the (blue) mill is able to target any player." Anyway, I'm not going to theory craft a deck but here are a bunch of cards from the spoiler list that would work for a self mill deck. Just add some ramp and some removal and trim it down to sixty.

4 x Archaeomancer
4 x Brackwater Elemental
4 x Thassa's Bounty
4 x Think Twice
4 x Tome Scour

2 x Chill of Foreboding
2 x Hedron Crab

1 x Soul of Ravnica

4 x Dead Reckoning
4 x Death Cultist
4 x Gravedigger
4 x Necromancer's Assistant
4 x Viscera Dragger

2 x Rescue from the Underworld

1 x Bloodghast

4 x Satyr Wayfinder

2 x Nemesis of Mortals
2 x Spider Spawning

1 x Phytozoan

1 x Soul of Zendikar
1 x Vengevine

2 x Treasured Find

2 x Millstone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:19 am 

Atharva wrote:

Mill - 60 Cards

Land (25)
17 x Island
8 x Plains

Creatures (15)
2 x Hedron Crab
2 x Coral Barrier
4 x Doorkeeper
2 x Guard Gomazoa
2 x Wall of Omens
1 x Mentor of the Meek
2 x Archaeomancer

Spells (14)
4 x Tome Scour
4 x Void Snare
2 x Reprisal
4 x Safe Passage

Artifcats (6)
2 x Millstone
2 x Courier's Capsule

Thoughts:
  • I have no experience of deck building beyond 2014's sealed last year so I'm struggling with this.
  • I've pondered over Inspired Charge and whether it could serve as a decent combat trick as the game matures. The in the cost needs to be carefully considered however.
  • There's many options for card draw such as Think Twice and Inspiration and while I have chosen Courier's Capsule I'm unsure about the decision.
  • Is this deck too slow, does it have enough mill? I'm expecting a weenie aggro heavy meta.
  • I did initially consider a deck using Fog and Grave Bramble instead of their obvious equivalents. I also wonder whether mono might end up being superior for mill?

Hedron Crab should be run as a 4 set as its one of your best mill cards, 4 x Safe Passage is too many, 2 should be enough. In this build Archaeomancer doesn't bring much to the table so you should replace them with the 2 missing Wall of Omens as they bring more use considering you have Doorkeeper. Courier's Capsule its way too slow and I dont see the point of Elixir of Immortality in this deck, counter spells would do you much better. With the low cost of your cards over all I think you are running too many lands as well, you could start by removing an island for another Mentor of the Meek.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:00 pm 

HARBiNG3R wrote:
Atharva wrote:

Mill - 60 Cards

Land (25)
17 x Island
8 x Plains

Creatures (15)
2 x Hedron Crab
2 x Coral Barrier
4 x Doorkeeper
2 x Guard Gomazoa
2 x Wall of Omens
1 x Mentor of the Meek
2 x Archaeomancer

Spells (14)
4 x Tome Scour
4 x Void Snare
2 x Reprisal
4 x Safe Passage

Artifcats (6)
2 x Millstone
2 x Courier's Capsule

Thoughts:

Hedron Crab should be run as a 4 set as its one of your best mill cards, 4 x Safe Passage is too many, 2 should be enough. In this build Archaeomancer doesn't bring much to the table so you should replace them with the 2 missing Wall of Omens as they bring more use considering you have Doorkeeper. Courier's Capsule its way too slow and I dont see the point of Elixir of Immortality in this deck, counter spells would do you much better. With the low cost of your cards over all I think you are running too many lands as well, you could start by removing an island for another Mentor of the Meek.

Your not allowed more than 2 uncommons each and 1 rare each, thus crab and mentor is maxed out,

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:01 pm 

HARBiNG3R wrote:

Hey, thank you for spending the time to give me some feedback.

Unfortunately it appears you've forgotten the 4-2-1-1 rarity restrictions in your reply. Hedron Crab is, for example, an uncommon so I can only use two, similarly Mentor of the Meek is a rare so I only get one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:03 pm 

Looks like I need to go update myself on the rules.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next