No. Preferred "X" season. 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
No. I've stopped playing. 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 57
Total voters : 57
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:12 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: uhhhhh
Combo decks suck

The one true King of NGA Magic Duels on Xbox One.

You want some? Come get some. You don't like me? Bite me.

Day 1,000 of the never-ending Vert monarchy.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16077

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:59 am 

divinevert wrote:
Combo decks suck

Agreed, I haven't been able to pull anything off yet. From Gheistramp to Chandra's Ignition on Kalitas with 2 of the 'when you gain life, opponent loses that much life' in play :(

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:56 am 

I see plenty of people being quite vocal about their dissapointment in the set.
Even though I would have liked a bit more 'combo' oriented builds as a viable option ( or maybe it just hasn't been cracked), I'm a big fan of kaladesh in Duels.
Aggro got great tools, forcing decks to be leaner, and yet, mid-range and control are both plenty strong, with lots of good inclusions in the set. There's a bunch of 'fun' cards that are just on the fringe of being competitively playable, and I find the game more enjoyable than ever.
Despite all the criticism, this poll seems to show that there is wisdom in crowds of a sort.

Or maybe Wizards succeeded in appealing to the Trash Common denominator faithfully gepresenteerd by the plebs that frequent this den of villainy.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:04 pm 

Do people see tutelage decks as more of control or combo? I think they're getting into the combo tier, because it's all about drawing until you hit that first Tutelage, then dropping some combination of Hugs and Fateful Showdowns and burning their library in 1-2 turns.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:10 pm 

In Duels this isn't necessarily the case.

It's been discussed alot, and many people agree that Wintervoid's Jeskai deck was very successful because it was a powerful control deck with good answers to the environment, and had Tutelages as a 3 mana 'inevitable' wincon through decking the opponent, and a plan B of burning the opponent to 0 through Fevered Visions and just playing a classic control game.

The key in that reasoning is that Tutelage just occupied 3 slots in his deck that could've been other wincons. They were just worth the 3 slots and he felt (and made a strong case, he did win our steam tournament after all) that they fit the general plan of the deck best. He ran only very few cards that one could claim to be mill oriented (couple of incidental wheels, take inventory).

Izzet wheelmill and temur 8 fog which we can sometimes see currently, and which obviously got some very powerful tools, are way more all in. I'm not sure how great they really are; having failed to visit them seriously so far :) So much to play, so little time :D
As far as speedy mill goes though, having access to Cathartic reunion, which allows you 4 more 'dig 3' (along telling time) spells at t2 to FIND tutelage or cheaply mill 6 after dropping tutelage is a HUGE boon, and I'm tempted to do a ladder debauche just ignoring all the potential enchant/artifact hate that i'm honestly NOT seeing that much off :confused:

Like this post