:r::w::b: Much Mardu About Nothing :b::w::r:
Spoiler

:r::b: Black as Night, Faster than a Shadow :b::r:
Spoiler

'Where is the fighting man?
Am I he?
You would trade every truth
For hollow victories'.

Last edited by Sjokwaave on Thu May 11, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 189 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:40 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: Him
Aye man im using your tempo deck, im still somewhat new to magic. May i ask what the purpose of essence flux is?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:29 pm 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
Aye man im using your tempo deck, im still somewhat new to magic. May i ask what the purpose of essence flux is?

Flux is a utility spell. I'm going to refer to it's effect as "blink" in my post. I will warn you in advance to not use it on your token creatures (if you get 8/8 octopuses from Kiora for example), as that will blink them out of existence (token won't survive the state change of leaving the battlefield, so it just erases rather than blinking back into play).

When the state change (blink) occurs, it removes creatures from their current state - so you could blink one of your attacking or blocking creature to save it from lethal damage.

The state change disrupts targeting spells (spells that say "target creature" in their text) - so you could blink your creature in response to an opponent trying to cast a removal spell on it and effectively counter the spell.

Blinking also triggers creature's "enters the battlefield" effects. It can be cast on Reflector Mage for example, to trigger it's bounce creature effect - or on Bounding Krasis to trigger it's tap/untap effect. He is running several creatures that benefit from this, so it's a great card here.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:52 pm 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
Another thing to be aware of is it will remove counters from the creature it blinks - so be cautious with Woodland Wanderer and Skyrider Elf.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:51 am 

The Selesdrazi is way out of date BTW. I've lowered the curve quite a bit: I'll update it when I get back home.

Am I he?
For hollow victories'.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:07 pm 

Sjokwaave wrote:

Wow, I know I drew the nuts, but I went:

On the play

T2 Duskwatch
T3 Gisela
T4 Tamiyo

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:53 pm 

The thing is the deck is so stuffed with good stuff you get a lot of hands that are nuts.

Has the mana been working for you? That was my one and only concern with the deck. I've only gotten 10 or so games in so far and haven't had any real problems, but that's still a small sample size. Supporting 3 colours with a few double costed cards isn't easy with such limited fixing and I had to make adjustments from previous versions because I'm a little more reliant on blue now.

Am I he?
For hollow victories'.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:22 pm 

Identity: ichthyophile
How's Selfless Spirit doing it for you? I've seen literally zero sweepers so far. I'm tempted to cut them. So much goodstuff to choose from...

Last edited by otrisk on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:38 pm 

I actually ran into Superfriends and Abzan Midrange in the few games I've played - I guess old habits die hard for some people. I still only used the ability once though. While its ability may not be as relevant as I might have first imagined it's still a 2 power 2 drop with evasion. I think it stays for the time being for the sake of the curve if nothing else.

I think the changes that I'm likely to implement very soon include going back up to 3 copies of Unsubstantiate (one was removed along with Bellower for the Spirits) and cutting Whirler Rogue: it just isn't pulling its weight like it used to and I have evasion elsewhere in the deck now.

This deck has nowhere near enough fuel for DotR IMO. Plus I'm trying to keep the curve low to the ground anyway - it's one of the reasons Bellower is out.

Am I he?
For hollow victories'.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:43 pm 

Sjokwaave wrote:
The thing is the deck is so stuffed with good stuff you get a lot of hands that are nuts.

Has the mana been working for you? That was my one and only concern with the deck. I've only gotten 10 or so games in so far and haven't had any real problems, but that's still a small sample size. Supporting 3 colours with a few double costed cards isn't easy with such limited fixing and I had to make adjustments from previous versions because I'm a little more reliant on blue now.

I just took out Rogue for Wanderer. Then I adjusted the mana base a little. I'm also playing 2 collective effort over Unsub.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:51 pm 

I think Wanderer may be what replaces my Rogues: I love the utility and evasion that Rogue brings, but it hasn't pulled it's weight so far compared to last season.

I think cutting Unsubstantiate is a mistake: if there is one card that has pushed this deck to a new level, this is it.

Am I he?
For hollow victories'.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm 

I actually never ran Whirler Rogue in this deck, even last season I found Altered Ego did more work.

Good point about the spirit I guess. Still, Collective Effort... damn...

re: Disciple, I'm playing less creatures than you are but I might just cut her for curve reasons.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:56 pm 

I also subbed out 2 bishops for both Nissa's.

I now have 6 anthem creating cards. I'm always going to draw one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:59 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: 46 & 2
Man that's almost card for card how I built my bant tempo. It's been pretty versatile for me so far and I don't think cutting the rogues is the right call. 5/5 is as big as Wanderer gets here and I'd rather have a rogue after a sweeper

IoS Koth viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16119&start=480#p559563

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:19 pm 

This deck does have a lot of 3 drops though. Many many hands start with all 3 drops...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:03 pm 

Have you considered trying out Altered Ego in place of the Whirler Rogues?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:53 pm 

You know who's really at home in the tempo theme and has given me nothing but joy and bliss so far?

Elder Deep-Fiend, that's who.

I'm running just one and I don't think I want the other one but oh man, he's been a game-ending bomb every single time.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:40 pm 

Okay, so now I've had a chance to get a decent run of games in I've opted for the following changes:

-2 Spell Queller
-2 Whirler Rogue

+1 Essence Flux
+1 Unsubstantiate
+2 Woodland Wanderer

Spell Queller has just never achieved its potential and ends up seeming a little redundant most of the time, countering spells that were never going to be an issue anyway. The addition of the third Unsubstantiate should help alleviate the loss. Plus it means we look a little less like 3drop.dec, rounding out the curve a little. The extra slot goes to another copy of Essence flux which is proving to be every bit as good as it ever was.

And Whirler Rogue is now out. I'm not seeing many sweepers - and those that I do see can be handled with Selfless Spirit or Unsubstantiate. So I'm going with a bigger body over the utility. I guess time will tell with this one. I could very well end up reversing this change.

Am I he?
For hollow victories'.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:12 pm 

What is an "anthem" in this sense?

as to other ideas on the deck...

Altered Ego does seem a lot better than Woodland Wanderer here. Even if just for the un-counter-able-ness.

I like Selfless Spirit because it disrupt any targeted removal, in addition to sweepers. They kill the spirit instead of whatever else they wanted. It's also a good early threat at 2 power flying for 2.

What about Collective Effort over Declaration in Stone? Compare CE as a creature removal with added bonus, instead of the +1/+1 comparison vs Watching.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:14 pm 

What is an "anthem" in this sense?

as to other ideas on the deck...

Altered Ego does seem a lot better than Woodland Wanderer here. Even if just for the un-counter-able-ness.

I like Selfless Spirit because it disrupt any targeted removal, in addition to sweepers. They kill the spirit instead of whatever else they wanted. It's also a good early threat at 2 power flying for 2.

What about Collective Effort over Declaration in Stone? Compare CE as a creature removal with added bonus, instead of the +1/+1 comparison vs Watching.

I think my build has taken 16 different turns since I wrote that. But CE, AW, Gideon and Nissa.

Like this post