It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:27 am 

Everyones playing with weird new cards and I'm just burning through them for gold with weenie aggro decks.

I feel aggro got nothing, and on the other side of that, it gained a lot by a new "exciting" pool being introduced that people want to use with little defence against it.

No, just because BFZ is here I will not wait until mid or late game to use the new cards. I'll just use the same old crap and gets some wins I guess. Not sure on the point of my thread.. I guess, do people agree?

I'll reiterate, not a SINGLE CARD has been subbed out of my RDW or Boros deck.

Currently earning gold vs people with this http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10293&start=80#p381999

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:31 am 

I'll agree here, instantly went for Grixis Control and Azorius Mill/Control type decks with some of the great new additions. First 3/4 games were RDW and smashed me by turn 5-6. The more things change eh?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:02 am 

Identity: Male
R/G landfall aggro is real!

After I make this list as optimal as possible I'm gonna work on Orzhov Allies

Steam name: WeCoexist

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:00 am 

Oh well, at least I don't have to change my grinding deck much if at all. It does seem odd though as sweeper count goes up. Aggro can always be tough though without being able to stabilise or race, although I can't get to experiment yes I am hoping that a decent counter aggro exists with the new pool, I am sure it will but it may take some time to experiment.

quo plus habent,
eo plus cupiunt.

Check Out my You Tube Channel - Cube Draft and Random versus for AER. NGA iOS KOH matches. iOS Trials of the Elder Dragon tournament videos. MtG Arena Undercity Coliseum Tournament videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC29hO5 ... 71kNpJmjKg

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:57 am 

The only "anti-aggro" card that seems to hit fast enough would be Boiling Earth, but then even that is only good until Mage Ring Bully hits the board or Infectious Bloodlust becomes a thing. Radiant Flames is still only a 2 of, and that's been the same issue we've had since Vanilla, just more "1 in 30" chances of surviving the next turn.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:59 am 

Radiant Flames is still only a 2 of, and that's been the same issue we've had since Vanilla, just more "1 in 30" chances of surviving the next turn.

In the few games I had I allready got to grill an elf deck with it. Worked in this case.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:18 am 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
WeCoexist wrote:
R/G landfall aggro is real!

After I make this list as optimal as possible I'm gonna work on Orzhov Allies

Yeah, I figured. I'm interested to start thinking about the new best goldfish with uncommon or less cards. Obviously, since iOS doesn't have the update yet, I can't really participate though.

Anyone looking at Simic/Azorius tempo? Aggro control good some much better early creatures. The shell didn't change, but the beaters got better, IMO. Might be worth looking into.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:32 am 

Come on guys, Y'all be trippin'. I was always saying RDW and Izzet Prowess aggro was a strong deck before expansion, but honestly, if with the stuff that has been released you STILL feel like control is super weak vs aggro there's something wrong with your playingstyle/deckbuilding I'd wager.
We got so many good toys. Esper got Gideon's reproach, Nullifier, Complete Disregard, playable counterspells, Shambling vent, Gideon, Planar Outburst etc... anything red based, which already had the best anti aggro tools before got Radiant Flames, rolling thunder and Brutal Expulsion to suplement fiery Impulse and twinbolt ....

Will RDW be a dog vs control ? No ofc not, but that's never been the case in any magic format. It's probably way better positioned than before though.

I tried GR landfall aggro, and it was sweet, but it also got DEMOLISHED by an esper control player yesterday.

Last edited by Goblin Rabblemaster on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:35 am 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
Control doesn't usually beat aggro, midrange does. Speaking of which: is control good enough to beat midrange yet?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:36 am 

I dunno, the B/W Ally deck I made has gone 10-0, with 5 of those games being against weenie aggro (Elves, RDW, Boros, Thopters).

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:37 am 

GIMME DECKLIST

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:56 am 

I dunno, the B/W Ally deck I made has gone 10-0, with 5 of those games being against weenie aggro (Elves, RDW, Boros, Thopters).

Agreed. It isn't quite the deck I wanted (no Felidar Sovereign makes me sad) but it's been turning out surprisingly brutal. Malakir Familiar in particular seems to be pulling far more weight then it has any real right too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:33 am 

Identity: American Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: Not a SJW...you have been warned.
Well, my disdain for RDW is pretty well documented in Duels. It's a little better now, but not much.

Boros is a feast or famine deck, but against people I found it mostly famine. If they can take care of your first few threats, your pretty much done. It just seems people you've faced aren't properly making their decks. Typical for this point of the meta.

Oddly enough, though, I haven't seen too many aggro decks, enough I removed Complete Disregard from my Azban Eldrazi Control...it just wasn't hitting anything opponents were playing. Love the card, but had to switch it out for the meta.

I did play against one Boros last night. He got me down to 7 before I played a Nissa's Renewal with a Retreat to Kazandu on the table. He quit next turn after an Awakened Planar Outburst.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:36 pm 

The meta got slower.. these decks should be better.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:33 pm 

I followed what felbatista said about using scions to chump or slow aggro and it has been working well. Blisterpod and From Beyond put up a decent amount of stall between themselves plus any twin bolts or other creatures that I can manage to get out until I hit them with radiant flames. My Temur landfall deck has been doing really well vs aggro atm, on the other hand my control based decks die a quick death.

I want to try some jund control deck with languish tag teaming with radiant flames to keep aggro in check I think that combined with Blisterpod and From Beyond and twin bolt that deck will be a nightmare for anything aggro oriented to go against. In my last 10 or so games only 1 was control, 1 was a ramp and play big monsters, and the rest some variant of weenies or aggro.

Like this post