It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:40 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
ImageImageImage

Source: https://io9.gizmodo.com/get-to-know-mag ... 1835412320

Chandra, Novice Pyromancer
Legendary Planeswalker - Chandra (U)
: Elementals you control get +2/+0 until end of turn.
: Add .
: Chandra, Novice Pyromancer deals 2 damage to any target.

Chandra, Acolyte of Flame
Legendary Planeswalker - Chandra (R)
: Put a loyalty counter on each red planeswalker you control.
: Create two 1/1 red Elemental creature tokens. They gain haste. Sacrifice them at the beginning of the next end step.
: You may cast target instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard. If that card would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it instead.

Chandra, Awakened Inferno
Legendary Planeswalker - Chandra (M)
This spell can't be countered.
: Each opponent gets an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, this emblem deals 1 damage to you."
: Chandra, Awakened Inferno deals 3 damage to each non-Elemental creature.
: Chandra, Awakened Inferno deals X damage to target creature or planeswalker. If a permanent dealt damage this way would die this turn, exile it instead.

Last edited by CommanderJim on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:46 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
that +2 sure is something

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:59 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
I have so many opinions here.

1) I've always loved any art of Chandra smiling, and Anna Steinbauer's depictions here are no exception. I really like the way she painted the fire, Chandra's outfits are really cool in both pieces, and there's just so much energy coming out of the character. I'm not a huge fan of the mythic art, but Chandra art has a history of being very hit or miss for me. I think there's just a particular style of Chandra that I like, and a lot of artists don't capture that or choose to go in a different direction.

2) I did not expect to see uncommon and rare planeswalkers again so soon, and it's especially weird that the uncommon one has a plus ability. I'm not complaining here, but I hope this is just a special showcase for Chandra rather than a full cycle. Otherwise M20 might feel a bit too much like War of the Spark.

3) I like the Elemental tribal going on here. It's a nice subtheme to tie the cards together and make them synergize.

4) As Mown said, +2 to get an emblem is pretty crazy. It's a great way to represent lighting your opponents on fire, though. (The players continue to burn.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:41 pm 

Well that's cool. I'm willing to bet this is part pf a 5-color cycle with the rest of the Gatewatch. I wonder who they are going to choose for White now that Elspeth and Gideon are dead and Ajani is White/Green? Teyo isn't really developed enough to get a before-middle-after cycle as he seems to be resting in the early-middle part of his carrier.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:11 pm 

I think this is just Chandra. She is the focus of Core 2020, which also connects to the comic books focusing on her post-WAR.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:55 pm 

Yeah, but each Core set for a while now has done a cycle of at least five Walkers to on-ramp new players with. If they do this one treatment for just Chandra, then it'll be all kinds of weird for the new players of other colors as well.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:54 pm 

Wizards confirmed that Chandra is the only one with uncommon and rare versions.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:39 pm 

Identity: Female
My dream of a Chandra "tribal" deck seems close to becoming reality.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:09 pm 

The uncommon and the rare look pretty powerful

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:32 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Hey, it's Charmander, Charmeleon and Charizard!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:02 pm 

Not a fan of the idea of focusing a core set on one character. I feel like someone may be able to come up and be like "It's happened before" but that doesn't sit too well with me.

Seeing them continue the tech of lower rarity planeswalkers and Planeswalkers with other abilities sits much better with me though.

Not a fan of Chandra becoming Elemental tribal now. Like I know she has made Elementals plenty of times but I feel that tribal is off kilter from her usual. But I do like the general of an Elemental Tribal planeswalker.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:44 pm 

question emblems can be stacked? cause if that's the case wow that mythic HAS to die quick cause more than a couple turns and if your a durdly deck your gonna take a lot of damage. Snips the new Chandra into my hate you all deck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:04 pm 

Yep, emblems stack. See also Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:45 pm 

Not a fan of the idea of focusing a core set on one character. I feel like someone may be able to come up and be like "It's happened before" but that doesn't sit too well with me.

Core 2019 was focused on Nicol Bolas.
Magic 2015 was focused on Garruk.
Magic 2014 was focused on Chandra
Magic 2013 was focused on Nicol Bolas.

So actually following this pattern, the next core set will be focused on Garruk for his triumphant return in 2020.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:37 pm 

I think I actually like the more common Chandras better. The design of her in them is a bit new, but it's distinctive and not rerrible. Plus, we get to see her with her hair not on fire.

Let's ignore the Elemental Tribal effect on Uncommon: she's 5 shots of Sisay's Ring in red. Now, true, I don't run Sisay's ring in EDH because Thran Dynamo is just better but making colored mana matters and she CAN do other things (including restocking herself) in a pinch, paying off the fragile nature of Planeswalkers

Rare Chandra, neanwhile, has a neat little flashback trick and a 0-cost ability that generates two bodies. Not good or permanent bodies, but two bodies, which can matter a LOT. And her + ability is a superfriends enabler! Red only, but that's really exciting. It's not going to topple Atraxa, but I've always believed that with Red's theoretical mastery of emotions and feelings, "Planeswalkers matter" should be Red's slice of the pie and not White's (to the point where I really want to see the classic Tutor cycle finished with a red PW tutor). At 3 mana and generating immediate value, I can kind of accept that she doesn't protect herself like many of the best PWs can.

Meanwhile, Mythic Chandra is... just kinda there. The +2 is hot as hell, especially being a + ability, but she does cost 6, and her -3 and -x are really nothing fancy. Good (especially the -3) but not not super exciting.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:45 pm 

neru wrote:

Core 2019 was focused on Nicol Bolas.
Magic 2015 was focused on Garruk.
Magic 2014 was focused on Chandra
Magic 2013 was focused on Nicol Bolas.

So actually following this pattern, the next core set will be focused on Garruk for his triumphant return in 2020.

The change here is that there's a LOT more exposure dedicated to her here than there was there.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:54 am 

You usually don’t want to tap sisay’s ring the turn you get it out anyway, so it’s more like a ring that casts Shock on etb

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:58 am 

Hmm, I didn’t notice at first that the rare one makes you pay the cost of the spell. Reusing Mind Rot or whatever is still good, but not as good as if it was free

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:14 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

Tibalt the Ripper's emblem!

Like this post