It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:01 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 10342
Preferred Pronoun Set: BH/B.H./Bounty Hunter
Welcome to The Lost Mine of Phandelver Adventure
A D&D 5e Adventure DMed by Bounty Hunter
Also BH's 10,000th Post On NGA


Image



More than five hundred years ago, clans of dwarves and gnomes made an agreement known as the Phandelver's Pact, by which they would share a rich mine in a wondrous cavern known as Wave Echo Cave. In addition to its mineral wealth, the mine contained great magical power. Human spellcasters allied themselves with the dwarves and gnomes to channel and bind that energy into a great forge, the Forge of Spells, where magic items could be crafted. Times were good, and the nearby town of Phandalin prospered as well. But then disaster struck when the orcs swept through the North and laid waste to all in their path.

A powerful force of orcs reinforced by evil mercenary wizards attacked Wave Echo Cave to seize its riches and magical treasures. Human wizards fought alongside their dwarf and gnome allies to defend the Forge of Spells, and the ensuing battle destroyed much of the cavern. Few survived the cave-ins and tremors, and the location of Wave Echo Cave. was lost.

For centuries, rumors of buried riches have attracted treasure seekers and opportunists to the area around Phandalin, but no one has ever succeeded in locating the lost mine. In recent years, people have resettled the area. Phandalin is now a rough-and-tumble frontier town.

_________________
"Life is like a Dungeon Master, if it smiles at you something terrible is probably about to happen."

Play-By-Post Games
Phandelver : IC / OC / Map


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:04 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 10342
Preferred Pronoun Set: BH/B.H./Bounty Hunter
Neverwinter : The Driftwood Tavern - Day 0

Each of you have received a letter from your friend and patron Gundren Rockseeker, scrawled quickly in his own hand on a mostly-clean bit of parchment and bearing the family crest:

Quote:
Friend,

The gods have seen fit that my brothers and I should happen across quite the opporunity. In support of this endevor I shall be needing armed escort to see that a wagonload of neccessary supplies makes the journey to Phandalin safely. Meet me tonight, an hour after sundown, at the Driftwood Tavern and make ready to set out at dawn.

~Gundren



Roughly an hour after sundown you make your way through the winding city streets to a courtyard near the Coriol Street Gate. Squatting squarely on the corner of Coriol Street is a two story stone building that bears a swinging wooden sign in the shape of a three-masted galleon riding atop a banner emblazoned with the taverns name. Large barrels as tall as an adult human are stacked on either side of the main entry's stone stairs.

Once inside, you find
Gundren at a long wooden table near the back. The dwarf is joined by his warrior companion who he introduces as Sildar Hallwinter, and soon you find that five others received letters identical to yours. He explains the task before you: He and his escort need leave immediately and make preparations in Phandalin. The six of you, he excitedly explains, will pick up a wagon full of supplies in the morning and escort it safely to Brarthen's Provisions for which you will be rewarded with ten gold pieces each.

"Now!" he chuckles and pats his companion on the back as he stands. "Enjoy your night and your meal. Get to know each other, you leave at first light. An associate will meet you outside this same in with the wagon tomorrow and the pair of us shall meet you in Phandalin in three days’ time. If all goes according to plan there shall be more drinks to be had and more coin to be made. Ha!" Then the pair head outside and begin to saddle up into their ponies with haste, visible through the front windows of the tavern. Quickly, the pair heads out the city gate, leaving the six adventurers to wonder what the big opportunity might be and more importantly who each of their new companions was.

_________________
"Life is like a Dungeon Master, if it smiles at you something terrible is probably about to happen."

Play-By-Post Games
Phandelver : IC / OC / Map


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:45 pm 
Offline
YMtC Champ '05
YMtC Idol Winner

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 4668
"Hello, fellows! Well, I find the best of friends are made over a porter." Obed motions to a server to order a pitcher.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:27 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 10342
Preferred Pronoun Set: BH/B.H./Bounty Hunter
Neverwinter : The Driftwood Tavern - Day 0

As the group begins to introduce themselves to each other a pair of waiters begin to set several plates of food along the center of the rectangular wooden table. Roasted mutton that has been carved into thick slices is piled high on two main platters and several smaller plates and bowels are laden with various vegetables. Boiled potatoes, steamed carrots, and beans waft small trails of steam into the air above them as the last platter, stacked with several small loaves of bread and ringed in small cubes of cheese, is placed in the center. Before each of you is placed a wooden tankard which is then filled with Dwarven Rockaxe Ale.

_________________
"Life is like a Dungeon Master, if it smiles at you something terrible is probably about to happen."

Play-By-Post Games
Phandelver : IC / OC / Map


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:57 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 11, 2014
Posts: 38
Raphael Ezra Cerberus

The half-elf with the tousled brown hair shoots you a sceptical look.
"Pack bonds are forged in battle and hardship, not at a peaceful water hole."
He sighes. And his expression softens up a little. Almost into a smile.
"But if you are friends with Gundren, I'll guess I trust in his judgement once more. Call me Raphael. How do you know him?


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:23 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 11, 2014
Posts: 65
Rhasta
The grey-bearded man in the turban smiles, twisting the prominent scar on his cheek.
Six beings meet in a tavern, a pact is forged, a journey started. If there was ever a time to consult the fates, it is now!
With exaggerated grandiose, he pulls a thick deck of cards from his sleeve. Shuffling the deck up, down, around, through the air, he plucks one at random and slams it in front of him.
The ten of cups! Us as of now, in this inn, material troubles of no bother, no regrets over the past, no concerns for the future, we live in the moment and must seize the day, and not squander time! The world is our oyster!
His left elbow twitches, a card rolls from a shuffle through the air to land on the ten of cups.
The Two of Pentacles says our state will not last; change must come! This journey will be a tightrope walk, but if we balance properly great fortunes will be made! Ah, but how will we make the fortune?
Eyes flash quickly over each of the others at the table before he claps his hands together, cards between. Opening his palms to reveal a single card, he sets it above the previous two.
The seven of pentacles! A choice will be made! We will have a chance for glory, but the cost may be our lives. The spread warns that this will be a difficult journey, and cautions the risk may be too great; a wise decision could be to remain here in the saftey and comfort of the inn. But, balance is had; the choice to go could lead to great rewards.
With a flourish, he tucks the deck back into his sleeve, along with the spread, as food is dropped in front of the group.
I foretold to Gundren this trip would end in disaster if I didn't come along, but the cards now say disaster may befall even with my presence. The potential reward remains as great as ever, though, so I think I'll see it through.
He nods, and begins tucking into his food.


Cards
Spoiler


People who understand thieves cant
Spoiler


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:32 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 11, 2014
Posts: 55
Identity: Male
Tomi "Grin" Undergallows

Tomi analyses the group that Gundren has assembled, and says.
Well, I sure hope we can get along with everyone. I wouldn't want this group to fall apart on us because we can not trust each other.
Tomi goes silent, and touches the amulet on his neck, before continuing.
As long as we get along, you can be assured that I will not abandon you. As for that question, I've met Gundren before, back in my criminal days. Let's just say that he was a lot stronger than what I was told he'd be, and I ended up with a massive headache. After that, well, I guess we became acquaintances and he told me we'd be in contact again.
After Rhasta's.....informative predictions, Tomi adds
I must say, now that I've heard that there will be even more rewards, I think there is but one solution left. We make sure that we kill every single bandit that might ambush us and every brigand that tries to rob us, and acquire even more wealth....
Tomi goes silent again, and slowly starts eating the food that was set down in front of him.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:03 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 11, 2014
Posts: 37
Identity: Gender-Fluid
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/Him/etc.
Haldar Heavyhammer

Dropping his pack on the floor and carefully placing his well-polished shield on top of it, Haldar sits heavily into a chair and picks up his tankard. "Aye, a good drink makes for a fine mood for friendships," says he and, with a deep pull from his drink, "and by Moradin's beard, a good drink this be!" Taking a few more appreciative glugs, Haldar sets to work eatting his share of the feast. After a while, he looks at the grey-bearded man and, putting aside his food for the moment, asks, "Do you often find your predictions to be true? If so, you have clearly been blessed by the gods!" Getting out of his chair Haldar makes his way over to the man and, holding out his hand, says "I am Haldar Heavyhammer, wandering smith and witness to Moradin's power and majesty. And who might you be?"


Last edited by NeoDaitou on Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:13 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 11, 2014
Posts: 65
Rhasta
At Tomi's mention of criminal background, Rhasta looks at him and quirks an eyebrow. Before anything can be said however, the dwarf draws all attention to himself by downing a tankard.
My predictions always come true friend dwarf, but alas, for all my gifts even I am but mortal, and sometimes can't glean their true meanings until too late. You can call me Rhasta, for that is what our employer knows me by.
He reaches out and grasps the dwarf's proffered hand.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:26 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 11, 2014
Posts: 38
Raphael Ezra Cerberus

"Well well, aren't we an illustrous lot? The old dwarf has a habit of collecting interesting folk."
He takes a sip of his beer and looks pleased.
"The task at hand is simple, so I don't expect much trouble. But if someone dares to attack us, I will fight for this pack. I expect no less from all of you."


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:48 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 11, 2014
Posts: 65
Rhasta
Rhasta eyes the half-elf with the leaves in his hair, smiling sardonically
And just what kind of pack are we Raphael? If the task is as simple as you say, maybe the troubles I forsee will come not from without, but within.
He stretches his hands above his head, fingers interlocked, popping the joints.
But I believe it will be a danger without, why else the heavy guard. You have made the journey before I'm sure, are familiar with the land. What might we face?


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:07 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 11, 2014
Posts: 38
Raphael Ezra Cerberus

"From within?" Raphael looks puzzled, as if the thought has never actually crossed his mind.
"Well, the land is rough. The main roads between big cities are fine I think. There is not much gain for bandits to sit beneath the trees if patrols come along regularly. On the other hand our wagon seems to be filled with stuff and is protected enough to look like its worth quite a lot."
He pauses for a moment so take a deep breath.
"If there are bandits on the road, they will attack us with this wagon."


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:28 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 11, 2014
Posts: 55
Identity: Male
Tomi "Grin" Undergallows

Tomi seemingly keeps to himself, eating his food, but in fact he is following the conversation with great interest. Eventually he speaks up.
I will not allow these "so called" bandits to rob me and my friends of the cargo we are to deliver. After all, there is a gold reward to claim after delivering this cargo.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:42 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 11, 2014
Posts: 37
Identity: Gender-Fluid
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/Him/etc.
Haldar Heavyhammer

"It has been many a year since I last traveled through these parts, but I fear the time has not improved them," says Haldar. However, with a grin he continues, "I think we can handle anything that comes our way, but still, best not to be too overconfident, lest our pride blind us to the true danger." With that he calls for more ale and goes back to eating heartily.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:55 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 10342
Preferred Pronoun Set: BH/B.H./Bounty Hunter
Neverwinter : The Driftwood Tavern - Day 0

As introductions are made, stories are told, and ale is drank the noises of the tavern around you begin to pick up as well. Now that the last bits of the days light begin to fade outside the citizen of Neverwinter arrive in small groups and begin to enjoy an otherwise ordinary night in their favorite tavern. The bartender and the wait staff fall easily into their comfortable routine as trays of food and drinks are constantly brought forth from the kitchen area to various tables throughout the common room. The waiters move in a sort of dance, dodging misplaced chair and tipsy patrons alike, as they balance large trays of stacked plates and full tankards.

A young human, likely in her late teens, catches sight of Haldar as he waves and motions towards his tankard. She nods politely and makes her way to the table to collect the cup and a few moments later brings it back from the bar full and frothy. Anyone else that finds themselves near the bottom of their mug is likewise treated in kind.

In the far corner of the common room a group of dwarves breaks out into laughter at some joke unheard by the adventures. They hoot and hollar about various things for a moment before settling down again. Near the center of the room, at a large circle table made of a dark and lacquered wood, a game of cards has been started and is being dealt around cluttered tin mugs and a few bottles of cheap wine. A human man with the dark tan skin of someone who's spent a lifetime at sea begins to deal cards out quickly to a pair of dwarves with auburn hair, a half-elf, and a tiefling with skin the color of dried blood.

_________________
"Life is like a Dungeon Master, if it smiles at you something terrible is probably about to happen."

Play-By-Post Games
Phandelver : IC / OC / Map


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:32 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 11, 2014
Posts: 23
Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Damon Kay
Damon has mostly been listening in on the conversation up to this point. But the talk of bandits peaks his interest and he pipes in.
Well! If all of you think there is a chance of bandit activity, I am quite excited for what adventure lies before us! I relish any chance to take down such evil doers, and especially so if it helps my good friend Gundren! To adventure!
Raises his glass high in the air


Last edited by Xacktastic on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:42 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 11, 2014
Posts: 38
Raphael Ezra Cerberus

Raphaels expression is kind of sour.
"A tiefling playing a game of chance in a tavern. I bet two coppers on a brawl tonight. Anyone in?"

A moment too late to be polite he notices the raised glass. And clumsily tries to clink the mug.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:59 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 11, 2014
Posts: 65
Rhasta
Rhasta waggles his finger at Raphael, chiding,
Now now, if you have that attitude a fight is assured, the bet would be influenced. No need to judge someone on the shape of their horns. Especially when we're heading to the frontier.
He raises an eyebrow and grins evilly.
I'd be much more willing to bet on where the fight starts than whether it starts.
He pulls two coins from a sleeve and stacks them in front of himself, making an inviting gesture to the half-elf.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:39 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 11, 2014
Posts: 55
Identity: Male
Tomi "Grin" Undergallows

Tomi sighs to himself.
I will never understand why people must gamble and bet. To me, it's just another way to lose your money, and I'd rather keep it than have a slight chance of winning a bit more


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:44 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 10342
Preferred Pronoun Set: BH/B.H./Bounty Hunter
Neverwinter : The Driftwood Tavern - Day 0

On the far side of the room a gnome begins to pluck at a lute and several other patrons adjust their chairs slightly to afford them a better view. The sound of wooden chairs sliding across worn wooden floors interrupts the din of conversation and laughter in random spikes of activity. The group playing cards at the center casts a few quick glances to see what the commotion is about but for the most part remain engrossed in their game. He begins with a bit of a rocky start, which loses the attention of several of the people in the room who turn back to their drinks and conversation, but after a moment or two begins to play a merry little tune.

_________________
"Life is like a Dungeon Master, if it smiles at you something terrible is probably about to happen."

Play-By-Post Games
Phandelver : IC / OC / Map


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aaarrrgh and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group