It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:06 pm 

Identity: Bees
Looking to run a Call of Cthulhu game with 3-5 players. New players are absolutely welcome, even those who have no functional knowledge of the Call of Cthulhu mythos. I'm ideally looking for players who can post at least once every 48 hours, barring unusual circumstances (which are always acceptable, but a PM alerting me to your absence is appreciated).

A couple notes going over expectations:

Call of Cthulhu is first and foremost a Horror roleplaying game. As such, the system is inherently very dangerous to characters. A single gunshot can, and often will, kill a person. This is meant to simulate a degree of realism, and should be kept in mind. D&D heroics will often get your characters killed. That's not to say you won't be playing heroic characters, but instead that your characters will operate without extraordinary strength, skill, or abilities. Direct conflict is very dangerous in Call of Cthulhu. The solutions to a problem are often found through careful investigation, and measured deduction.

Call of Cthulhu's classic era was historically full of real world sexism and racism. The genre of horror itself is also designed to push your comfort levels. That does not mean that I will be using these to extremes, but such themes may occasionally arise. As such, a level of maturity is expected from players about these subjects. If at any time my own, or another player's portrayal of these themes makes you uncomfortable, please do not hesitate to PM me about it, and I can try to resolve the issue, and tone down the dials as necessary.

Now that those are through, rules for creation can be found here. Occupational skills are mostly handwaved with whatever you think sounds like your occupation might use regularly. Equipment and starting wealth is basically whatever basic equipment someone of your occupation and interests might have. Reasonably wealthy careers can start with a car. Players should also have some sort of living arrangements set up that correspond to their career's means: renting a flat, living in the school dormitories, owning a home, etc. I'd prefer sheets done through Myth-Weavers, and have a sample sheet to base yours off of. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=879740

Remember that in Lovecraft's stories, the most common protagonists were authors, artists, archaeologists, anthropologists, private investigators, and other scholarly types. Give your character a reason for wanting to pursue the clues they discover!

If there are any questions, feel free to drop them in this thread. Hope to get enough people to start a game within a week or so.

Last edited by Tequilasaurus on Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:18 am 

I've never done this before, but I'll have a go /in

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:26 am 

So I need 10 occupational skills and 10 hobby skills right?

Why is there so many skills on the sheet?

(sorry for being so bad)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:42 am 

There are indeed a lot of skills. It's 8 occupational skills, and any other skills except Cthulhu Mythos are all hobby skills, to distribute your 10xInt skill points into as you choose, with no skill starting over 75.

No need to apologize! It's really a very simple system, once you're used to it, but like anything, that takes a bit of time.

Last edited by Tequilasaurus on Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:49 am 

Strength
Burning_Earth rolled 3d6 and got a total of 12:
2, 5, 5

Constitution
Burning_Earth rolled 3d6 and got a total of 7:
3, 3, 1

Dexterity
Burning_Earth rolled 3d6 and got a total of 8:
2, 4, 2

Size
Burning_Earth rolled 2d6+6 and got a total of 13:
5, 2

Intelligence
Burning_Earth rolled 2d6+6 and got a total of 15:
5, 4

Appearance
Burning_Earth rolled 3d6 and got a total of 10:
2, 5, 3

Education
Burning_Earth rolled 3d6+3 and got a total of 13:
5, 3, 2

Power
Burning_Earth rolled 3d6 and got a total of 11:
3, 2, 6

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:23 am 

Identity: Male
I'm interested in participating. Can you elaborate on the setting of the adventure you're looking to run? Is it 1920s Americana or something else?

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:01 am 

My intended setting is May of 1923, in the fictional New England American city of Arkham, Massachusetts, famous for being part of "Lovecraft Country". Although I'm taking some creative liberties with specific locations, as could be expected.

The basic hook is that you're investigating a missing individual. So in some way, each of you must be involved in the disappearance of a 31-year-old World War One veteran named Henry Mosser. Either you were friends with him, a detective or other investigator hired to find him, a reporter covering the missing persons case, or in some other way connected or invested in this man's disappearance.

The details known so far: Henry had been down on his luck after the war. He'd been unable to keep a steady job, because the war had changed his temperament. He was prone to outbursts, and had taken to drinking illegally to ease his pains. He had no formal address, but was known to stay at a homeless shelter most nights. He hasn't been seen for at least three days, however, and his close web of friends is exceedingly worried, especially considering that there has been a string of homeless disappearances over the last month. Henry would mark the fourth.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:01 am 

Identity: Male
Buddy the Enigmatic Hobo

Buddy is an eccentric homeless vagrant wrapped from head to toe in colorful clothes. They lived at the same homeless shelter as Henry Mosser and were drinking buddies with him until he disappeared mysteriously. Buddy is worried that with all the disappearances, they will be next. They know the signs. So they've resolved to track down whatever happened to Henry and stop it from happening again.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:38 pm 

I'd like to be /in, if there's still room, and will start working on a character.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:40 pm 

Yeah, there's definitely still room. Welcome aboard.

Re: CKY
Buddy is a delightful character. :D
I do worry about his low Sanity though... But I guess that's hobo appropro.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:53 pm 

All right!

Str, Con, Dex, Power, Appearance
Tevish Szat rolled 3d6 and got a total of 13:
4, 6, 3

Tevish Szat rolled 3d6 and got a total of 9:
2, 6, 1

Tevish Szat rolled 3d6 and got a total of 8:
5, 1, 2

Tevish Szat rolled 3d6 and got a total of 9:
6, 1, 2

Tevish Szat rolled 3d6 and got a total of 12:
2, 6, 4

Size/Int
Tevish Szat rolled 2d6+6 and got a total of 15:
5, 4

Tevish Szat rolled 2d6+6 and got a total of 15:
3, 6

Education
Tevish Szat rolled 3d6+3 and got a total of 15:
6, 1, 5

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:40 pm 

Hm! That's rather nice. Particularly glad I got a solid Education, since I was interested in going the Miskatonic U Scholar route.

I think I'll go
Str 8
Dex 9
Con 9
Pow 13
App 12
Siz 15
Int 15
Edu 15

This gives me (if I'm doing this right) Idea and Knowledge of 75, Luck 65, a +0 DB, 13MP, 12hp, and a starting san of 65.

This gives me a decent start. At this point, I need to actually determine the character

Edward Jarvi, 27 year-old graduate student pursuing his doctorate in archeology at Miskatonic University, Arkham. A stout, tall man of average health and strength but significant mental aptitude, he was mercifully spared any involvement in the Great War. His elder brother, though, went to Europe along with his friend, Henry Mosser. Edward's brother died fighting the Hun, and Edward attempted to forge a closer friendship with Henry upon his return from Europe, out of respect for his brother's tastes in comrades. Though Mosser was often poor company and seemed to increasingly forward his own self-destruction, Edward worked hard to maintain those ties, and is quite concerned at his inability to locate the man.

Time for skills, and a question: When no skill can start above 75, is that no skill starting above 75 points you sink into it, or no skill above 75 counting the Base Chance (making adding points to Own Language pointless)?

Further, is Other Language a single, declared language (meaning taking multiple Other Languages is a good idea) or a generalized "linguistics"?

Occupation Skills (225 Points to Assign)
1) Archaeology
2) Anthropology
3) History
4) Library Use
5) Occult
6) Other Language
7) Spot Hidden
8)

Hobby Skills (150 points to Assign)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:30 pm 

I'm going with
Time for skills, and a question: When no skill can start above 75, is that no skill starting above 75 points you sink into it, or no skill above 75 counting the Base Chance (making adding points to Own Language pointless)?

Further, is Other Language a single, declared language (meaning taking multiple Other Languages is a good idea) or a generalized "linguistics"?

Including Base Chance, no skill starting over 75. I feel that it leads to swingy gameplay when your character can succeed on something 90% of the time, and fail miserably elsewhere all the time. Own Language is really more about sounding articulate, or understanding complex instructions without a chance for questions or repeating. An Own Language skill of about 30 is perfectly serviceable for communicating with any other native speakers, without any raised eyebrows.

Other Language is a single, declared Language, and allows multiple languages to have points put into separately (often good to have a polyglot).

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:33 pm 

Also, for character building, feel free to swap around any analogous stats. Any of your 3d6 attribute rolls can be freely switched around. Same with INT/SIZE.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:01 pm 

In which Case we have

Occupation Skills (225 Points to Assign)
1) Archaeology Quite naturally the primary skill for one pursuing a doctorate in it +60
2) Anthropology A natural secondary discipline +20
3) History Also a secondary discipline to Archaeology +15
4) Library Use Essential for a grad student +20
5) Occult The mystical practices of ancient peoples are of great interest +45
6) Other Language (Latin) Latin is necessary for the learned man in the 1920s. Edward's understanding is flawed but passable, as his chief interests lie significantly to the east of Roman knowledge +20
7) Other Language (Aklo) In respectable archaeology, the Aklo language is not often encountered, but some of the more outre reading materials are in it, necessitating a halting understanding of its form. +20
8) Spot Hidden Recognition of small details is an essential tool. +25

Hobby Skills (150 points to Assign)
Rifle A firearm for trap and skeet shooting, a favored passtime of some of Edward's more militarily or outdoors inclined friends, in which Edward himself has also indulged and enjoys passing-well +20
Other Language (Arabic) To pursue archaeological sites in the near east, a functional knowledge of Arabic is wise, but Edward picked it up to read the Nights without translation. +25
Other Language (Hindi) An avid student of the region's literature apart from its archaeology or cultural heritage, Edward can read and write passable Hindi, though practicing speaking it is difficult +25
Other Language (Sanskrit) Sanskrit, the scholarly and literary language of the Indian cultural region, best provides access to their fascinating culture +35
Photography One of the few ways in which Edward enjoys the natural world, this hobby does also help with his work, making a record of artifacts where they lie. +25
Credit Rating the Jarvi family is one of moderate affluence and wealth, and Edward has made good in academic pursuits already with minor publications on near-east digs, giving him some measure of money. +20

Prof. Edward Jarvi thus far

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:13 pm 

Looks all good. Should be a cool dynamic, with two exceedingly different characters. I wonder what BurningEarth will roll up.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:56 am 

I'll write up my character tomorrow but he's a policeman and his occupational skills are below. I have 195 points to allocate

Track +30
Locksmith +15
Law +15
Navigate +30
Sneak +30
Spot Hidden +30
Climb+ 15
Listen +30

And allocating hobby skills (130 to allocate)

History +40
Foreign Language (French) +25
Elec Repair: +20
Photography +20
Mech Repair: 20
Art +5

To be continued,

EDIT: Abilities finishified

Last edited by Burning_Earth on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:26 am 

Looks good so far.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:03 am 

Yay it wasn't totally messed up!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:08 am 

Wait, are those weapon skills things you can buy with your skill points? In that case I'll give
-10 sneak and listen from occ skills
+20 rifle

Like this post