It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:04 am 

D&D 4ed - Horror at Girdlestone

This is the setup zone for a new D&d 4ed adventure.

This is supposed to be a superadventure, starting with characters at level 1 and bringing all characters to level 10 at the end of it. This adventure is a straight dungeon delve with few RPG parts and a lot of traps, environmental difficulties, puzzles and moderate to hard encounters. But skills are an important part of this adventure, because I like skill challenges (but all of them are modified to look like encounters).

Everything you can possibly love about a dungeon delve will be here, an epic quest to save the world, a chance to find epic loot and to battle epic enemies, where mundane things like eating and drinking are a constant threat, with a lot of timed events, more than one path and one way to accomplish the ultimate goal.

Character Creation Rules:

Ability Scores:

Two methods to choose:
- Standard Array: 16,14,13,12,11 and 10.
- 2 dice roll: Roll 2d6 and add 6 to each roll. No rerolls are allowed.

You have to choose first which method you will use. In case you choose to roll, use this thread.

Sources:

You are free to use these sources:
- Players Handbook 1, 2 or 3 (but no psionics).
- Divine Power, Arcane Power, and Martial Power 1 & 2.

Background:

Your character will need only a simple background. If you add his/her hopes and fears, I will try to use them modifying some encounters to exploit them.

Starting Gear:

Anything you can buy with 100 gp from the source books.

Speech Color:

Choose a speech color for your character. These colors will be unavailable: Dark red, Light Red and Black. They will be reserved for DM messages and speeches.

Special Rules:

Healing: In this adventure, dying characters will not be able to receive healing unless the power specifically targets a dying character, or the spell is touch spell or the character is stabilized first.

Critical Miss: Any attack roll of 1 will generate a negative effect. The player will need to roll a saving throw against the negative effect. The result of the saving throw will determine the effect. See below:
- 11-20: No fumble.
- 6-10: The weapon will drop 1d4-1 squares away.
- 2-5: The character will trip and fall prone.
- 1: The weapon will break.

- Multiple attacks, Close Blast and Close Burst will have a +2 bonus at the fumble saving throw.

- Area attacks will work differently: For each 1 rolled, the character will receive a -1 in all defenses until the end of his next turn (maximum of -2). In addition, if the player rolled three or more 1 during this attack, the weapon or implement will break.

Items: To compensate for the possible break or lost of equipments, items may be sold for 25% of their price, instead of 20%.

Additional rules: I can use other special rules if they are offered and accepted by the other members, like critical hit kills (but I think this rule extremely dangerous even with saving throws).

Posting Frequency:

During normal circumstances, any player must post in 72 hours. During encounters, any player must post in 48 hours, but the sooner is advised. During weekends, you are free to post as normal, but Sunday will not be considered for the deadline.

In case you cannot do a post within the time, you can nominate a player to move your character for the specified amount of time. Use this format at the OOC thread. You are allowed to use Light Red for this announcement.

True_ Believer nominates Unbeliever his puppeteer for this round.

In case you will stay more time away, but you have intention of resuming the game. Your character can be put in stasis for the specified amount of time. Only one character can be in this state at any given time or the game will be halted. Use this format at the OOC thread. You are allowed to use Light Red for this announcement.

True_ Believer will be away for this week.

I will warn the players when I need some time away at the same manner. Inactive players will be flagged with this icon :sleep:, in this case his position will be offered to other player.

Posting Format:

Any format that is understandable will be accepted, but when making a move action any change of direction, must be mentioned in your post.

Example:

True_Believer starting position is A4 and he wants to go to C6, but instead of going directly, he wants to move to A6, and then to C6.

The move action will be formatted like this: True_Believer moves to C6 (A6 > C6).

Example:

This is the format that I normally use.

Nolan Trueheart

Spoiler

Where to post:

All actions from characters should be posted IC under a spoiler bar. OOC is for everything else.

Confirmed Players:

Rstnme => Marek Davi

Shockwave07 => Leskyn Iscitan

Neosilk => Du'tok :sleep:

Felbatista => Dairon

Garren_Windspear => Issyl Braegen :sleep:

Replacements:

Catowner :sleep:

Other Relevant Threads:

Out of Character Thread

In Character Thread

Last edited by True_Believer on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:18 am, edited 46 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:44 pm 

I have 8 encounters (5 encounters, 2 random encounters and 1 skill challenge) ready for this adventure with maps, but I'm talking of close to 100 encounters.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:47 pm 

I'm starting to feel that I'm not pulling my weight on this site, only being in 2 games. Since 4e is the only one that I know...well, anything...about, sure....assuming it doesn't start for a bit

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm 

It will take a while for me to finish this adventure, I see myself needing of 3 or more months. But if there is enough interest I can try to finish it earlier (still 1 or 2 months).

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:29 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
I wouldn't map it out that far ahead. Players are wildly unpredictable, and whatever that 100th encounter is, I can damn near guarantee they won't reach it. They'll be doing something else entirely. Plan the beginning, know the world and how you want your players to see it, and have an overarching storyline, but let the game be fluid.

~SE++

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:31 am 

Sadly, the undeniable truth. Good thing I consider the creative process enough reward for me, to make the adventure gain life is just a bonus.

Considering this, I will try to make it divided into chapters to provide breaking points in the story.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:30 pm 

I reached 12 encounters now. Still a long way to go. :waits:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:59 pm 

I may be willing to give this a go, but honestly, from what I've seen from 4E, I much prefer Pathfinder and 3.X. Haven't gotten to try out D&D Next much, though, that might bring me back into more modern versions of the game.

~SE++

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:34 pm 

I think I'd be interested in trying a character from level 1 onwards. Just wondering what sources you'll allow and if you'll allow monster classes (Goblin, Gnoll, Drow, ect.) as PCs?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:33 am 

The rules are not fully defined yet, but I'm thinking of allowing only races, classes and powers present in one the Player's Handbooks (but for psionics) or one of the power books (Divine Power, Arcane Power, and Martial Power 1 and 2).

I decided to not wait until the finish to launch this adventure, as soon as think I won't change anything in the beginning I will try to start it. (Problem is almost every time I create a new encounter, I end up changing something. :))

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:16 pm 

Thanks. That will help me get a framework for a character. Will get it fleshed out when the full character rules are defined. Bit sad I won't be able to try something like a Gnoll Barbarian, or Goblin Bard, but that is up to the DM's (your) discretion.

Count me in for this one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:30 pm 

I'll join if there's room. Kinda don't want to play a striker/defender if possible, since that's what I'm doing in the other games.

Talcar Battle Map
The Tower
Initiative Order
Talcar Characters

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:57 pm 

I'll probably fill a striker role with the character I'm developing and depending on how he develops, might have some minor defender/leader/controller (the last option only if I multiclass) elements. Thinking a Barbarian with a chance of multiclassing some Sorcerer elements.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:20 pm 

This got some steam sooner than I thought. I think the sooner that I can start this is 2 weeks from now, but I will need at least 4 players. All encounters are adapted to 5 players, however it can be easily adapted to one less.

Next week I will try to define the rules, until there I am open to suggestions.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:32 pm 

My suggestions remain the same as before: Be careful how much you plan out, players like to feel that they have choice. If you build it like a module, it'll get stale fast and the roleplay will drop drastically since people will basically knw they're gonna get railroaded into the next encounter.

~SE++

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:30 pm 

I updated the thread. I am just waiting for a moderator fix to continue, but I think all the important points were already covered.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:52 pm 

I'll choose Green and I'll roll. Wish me luck!

rstnme rolled 4d6 and got a total of 14:
6, 6, 1, 1

rstnme rolled 4d6 and got a total of 18:
6, 4, 6, 2

rstnme rolled 4d6 and got a total of 21:
6, 3, 6, 6

rstnme rolled 4d6 and got a total of 15:
6, 2, 1, 6

rstnme rolled 4d6 and got a total of 12:
5, 1, 4, 2

rstnme rolled 4d6 and got a total of 18:
5, 4, 6, 3

Talcar Battle Map
The Tower
Initiative Order
Talcar Characters

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:54 pm 

So that's a 13, 16, 18, 14, 11, and 15. Aw snap! Let me look over the books and decide.

Talcar Battle Map
The Tower
Initiative Order
Talcar Characters

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:11 pm 

I'll roll em up also. (Watch mine be terrible...)

Shockwave07 rolled 4d6 and got a total of 11:
2, 3, 1, 5

Shockwave07 rolled 4d6 and got a total of 15:
5, 3, 6, 1

Shockwave07 rolled 4d6 and got a total of 15:
2, 6, 3, 4

Shockwave07 rolled 4d6 and got a total of 11:
1, 4, 4, 2

Shockwave07 rolled 4d6 and got a total of 16:
1, 5, 5, 5

Shockwave07 rolled 4d6 and got a total of 22:
6, 4, 6, 6

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:16 pm 

10, 10, 13, 14, 15, 18. Not quite as good as Rstnme's but still is better than the standard array!

Will get my Halfling Barbarian's sheet ready!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next