It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:00 pm 

Identity: Human
Hey, how many people around here would be interested in a text duel thread?

Also, anyone know what the usual rules for text duel threads are? I'm new to this concept and would treat it as a chess-by-mail thing -- i.e. telegraph one move at a time (waiting for priority switches) and using a physical deck to actually play.

I currently have 3 (casual, 60-card) decks constructed, so I can handle at least that many single duels at the moment. I keep trying to put together an I, Planeswalker deck, but it's been working against me; and I don't think I have enough Legendaries for a suitable EDH deck.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:19 pm 

I would love to do some text duels. Or text multiplayer, though that would probably take forevvvver. Or whatever.

Emperor EDH text game! Go!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:21 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
You forgot "Star".

~SE++

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:42 am 

Identity: Bees
I was pretty active on the Wizards Text Duel Thread. I may play games now and again if they pop up here.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:08 am 
Desperately Wants A Custom Title

Identity: Man
I like text duels.
That's teh main way I test new deck ideas out.
I have decks for any following formats: (In order of preference to play)
1) Casual *willing to play multiplayer*
2) Legacy
3) Commander *willing to play multiplayer*
4) Standard
5) Modern *Only one, it's not very good*
6) Vintage *Only one, I've never 'really' tried it out (Let's be honest, it's not very good)*

My Cube | My Designs | My Blog | My Art
Creator of Max and Mill! Current strip: 1.3.1
Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:33 pm 

I tried to start one when this forum was new, but there was hardly anyone around at that time.

Back in MPFG ('04/'05) we played text multiplayer ALL the time.
A user named Chartreuse_Lotus would always make pentagram games, let us send decklists to him and he'd randomize them. Sending hands/draws through PM.
It does rely on a very active host though if you want to do it that way.

That said, I'm interested either way. Both hosting and playing (preferably multiplayer).

EX-boss medley P2

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:36 pm 

I used to use http://kichiguy.chatango.com/ all the time to play games with Nathreet before WotC's latest forum blunder. I liked having that chat room a lot better than posting long, involved posts that could get overturned by effects. It made games quicker, about 30 minutes on average instead of several hours by post.

~SE++

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:40 pm 

I'm interested. Mainly I focus on Standard, but wouldn't mind branching out into Modern and Commander. I would be lost in Legacy and Vintage.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:23 pm 

I used to use http://kichiguy.chatango.com/ all the time to play games with Nathreet before WotC's latest forum blunder. I liked having that chat room a lot better than posting long, involved posts that could get overturned by effects. It made games quicker, about 30 minutes on average instead of several hours by post.

~SE++

If I do this, I would go full-dive. I would be RPing the whole way along; I'm not that interested in short battles.
I tried to start one when this forum was new, but there was hardly anyone around at that time.

Back in MPFG ('04/'05) we played text multiplayer ALL the time.
A user named Chartreuse_Lotus would always make pentagram games, let us send decklists to him and he'd randomize them. Sending hands/draws through PM.
It does rely on a very active host though if you want to do it that way.

That said, I'm interested either way. Both hosting and playing (preferably multiplayer).

I've NEVER been active enough to act as a GM in any form. I would have to rely on the honor system that each player post their battlefield each turn. Of course, I personally would also rely on my own, physical decks to play.

Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:13 am 

I used to play it at the old wizards board too. Wouldn't mind giving it a try again but the main problem really is the time it takes, esp waiting for the other person to reply. Sometimes, the guy on the other side might not even be there anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:09 pm 

Lord LunaEquie is me wrote:
I've NEVER been active enough to act as a GM in any form. I would have to rely on the honor system that each player post their battlefield each turn. Of course, I personally would also rely on my own, physical decks to play.

Well, that's not really a problem seeing how there are people around that are able to GM. Like myself :)
If C_L wasn't available for some reason, I tended to step in quite a bit.

The only thing that was kinda annoying was if there was a player with loads of countermagic, but they were very rare.
And most people would just outtap anyway to show that they didn't have any tricks up their sleeves. Kinda like how people use that combined with F8 in MTGO.

EX-boss medley P2

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:38 pm 

Lord LunaEquie is me wrote:

Well, that's not really a problem seeing how there are people around that are able to GM. Like myself :)
If C_L wasn't available for some reason, I tended to step in quite a bit.

The only thing that was kinda annoying was if there was a player with loads of countermagic, but they were very rare.
And most people would just outtap anyway to show that they didn't have any tricks up their sleeves. Kinda like how people use that combined with F8 in MTGO.

Hm... Perhaps. Definitely an option, at the least. To be honest, my interest at the moment is leaning more toward creating a flavor voting game, but there are a couple of my friends in the AF&S that have recently been wishing to play, so I thought to check if there would be others down here who would also participate in a text-duel thread.

I'm more interested in the role playing, myself, so I'm beginning to suspect that this isn't the format for me.

Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:31 pm 

At the risk of bumping a dead thread: Ooh, pick me!

I actually started the current text duel thread over on the official boards, but after most of the cool people (some of whom I see in this thread) left, it's gotten depressingly quiet over there, and I finally jumped ship.

I'd love a chance to play some casual or standard magic on these boards, either via play-by-post or through a third-party chat service, such as the one Squinty linked. Chat is preferable for multiplayer, or for any complicated decks. For example, my main standard deck runs Jace, Architect of Thought, and working out his -2 ability via play-by-post is brutally slow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:01 pm 

If you'd like a bit of role-play and aren't too heavily invested in the competitive spirit, there's been a thread made in the AF&S. I have an open challenge in there.

If you'd rather a more tournament-worthy challenge, then I'm afraid I can't provide it. I could probably count on one hand the number of cards I own four copies of.

Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:30 pm 

Interesting. That's certainly not my usual style of Magic, and the deck I'm looking to test is intended to be competitive, but I may check it out some time if it's all in the name of fun.

Unfortunately, it seems I didn't catch you in time for a match this evening, but perhaps another time.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:51 pm 

I'll play a game with ya sometime, but I often don't have time to do it until after 1 am EST.

~SE++

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:54 pm 

Squinty! Nice to see a familiar face.

1 AM won't work for me tonight as I have work tomorrow morning, but I'll certainly be willing to play at that time later in the week.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:57 pm 

Whenever you find the time, I'm usually on the forums posting in the RPG games, so I'll see if you post in this thread. We can either make a new thread, or we can go to the old chat room and go a couple rounds. Got a new Artifact / Vial deck to try out. Modern legal, I believe, but I'm not picky on what you play as long as we aren't going for infinite combos.

~SE++

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:58 pm 

Oh gods, reading the Flavor and Storyline duel, I'm reminded of my Mother-in-Law deck. Nosy Goblin and Misguided Rage were in it. The deck wasn't for winning, it was only for the fun of roleplaying a horrific Mother-in-Law....

~SE++

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:48 pm 

Oh gods, reading the Flavor and Storyline duel, I'm reminded of my Mother-in-Law deck. Nosy Goblin and Misguided Rage were in it. The deck wasn't for winning, it was only for the fun of roleplaying a horrific Mother-in-Law....

~SE++

Go ahead and play it, then. I have another untested half-decent deck that I can use if no one else wants in.

Know your roots.

Like this post