It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:16 am 

The thing that, at times, gets me is that gunpowder exists in a lot of places. Goblin places, but they've obviously never advanced it to the fire lance, so I'm chalking that up to poor resources or resource management.

Further, Ravnica is incredibly advanced, with tnings like Izzet Bamsticks and other more semimundane things, like paper shredders and laser security systems..

TPmanW wrote:
The vast majority of planes that have developed guns have destroyed themselves within a few hundred years, or at least destroyed civilization on the plane. To quote Albert Einstein, "I do not know with which weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

Is that cannon?
The joke is a joke, but the matter of fact is, yes, exactly that, several times over.
The Thran AND Urza kicked their civilizations back to the bronze ages at least.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:25 pm 

I've wondered - could something like Isochron Scepter function as a firearm? You're firing a spell off as opposed to bullets.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:48 pm 

I've wondered - could something like Isochron Scepter function as a firearm? You're firing a spell off as opposed to bullets.

Strictly speaking, I don't think so. it's more just a magic stick since it doesn't actually fire anything.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:56 pm 

Identity: Human
Barinellos wrote:

Strictly speaking, I don't think so. it's more just a magic stick since it doesn't actually fire anything.

I mean, at that stage you're almost literally just wielding a wand yelling Expeliarmus!! at people...

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:17 pm 

Expeliarmus is a fine imprint, but I think I see Avada Kedavra more often.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:00 pm 

Identity: Male
Nah, it's all about those innocuous spells that do something insignificant and also draw you a card. Manamorphose is a good pairing. Anything that untaps an artifact is a candidate too.

I always thought a wild west setting could work in fantasy if the wands were just shaped so you could hold them like guns. Honestly, it's a more practical wand design in any setting where you actually have to point the wand at what you're targeting with the spell. My tendency is to assume settings work that way.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:13 pm 

Now I'm imagining gun-shaped wand-holders in the Harry Potter universe, like those tacky Wii Remote peripherals.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:45 pm 

TPmanW wrote:
Nah, it's all about those innocuous spells that do something insignificant and also draw you a card. Manamorphose is a good pairing. Anything that untaps an artifact is a candidate too.

Oh, yeah, my favorite has probably become Illusion of Choice to turn a large suite Will of the Council cards into something out of Welcome to Night Vale with how much everybody's vote counts.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:24 pm 

Now I'm imagining gun-shaped wand-holders in the Harry Potter universe, like those tacky Wii Remote peripherals.

Magical combat conversion kits are not "tacky". The camo patterning helps them blend in. It's functional.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:37 pm 

TPmanW wrote:

I always thought a wild west setting could work in fantasy if the wands were just shaped so you could hold them like guns. Honestly, it's a more practical wand design in any setting where you actually have to point the wand at what you're targeting with the spell. My tendency is to assume settings work that way.

Keeper pushed for wand slinging in Jakkard.
I pushed back with guns.

Guns won over the sissy sticks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:55 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
TPmanW wrote:

Keeper pushed for wand slinging in Jakkard.
I pushed back with guns.

Guns won over the sissy sticks.

:nonono:
I am disappoint son.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:33 am 

Wands suck, staves rule.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:55 am 

Staffs would just have a crook for your elbow and maybe a handle knotch- they would be the rifles. I'm picturing something like the cool shaped pieces of driftwood I'd find as a kid, or a broom from Harry Potter. Staff does not need to mean straight, and sometimes wands come in an S-curve.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Last edited by TPmanW on Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:00 am 

I have deep seated issues with wands.
I'm not budging.

Besides, I don't have to. I've already been in this debate.
And guns won.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:45 am 

Guns superior, wands inferior. I mean, look at them side by side. Have you even seen [insert movie here]? Way cooler than wands.

The beast uncoiled and replied, “Oh? And what is that, little one?”

The small figure raised its fist. “I have fire.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:33 am 

Identity: Wannabe Cyborg
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/His/Him
Fuelheart wrote:
So I've got this idea for a buggomancer. Like, a mancer of bugs. I love bugs, those of you old enough to remember me probably remember that. There aren't enough buggomancers in fiction.

Have you read Worm. It's somewhat of a deconstruction of superhero stories and the main character is a girl that can control bugs. The writer is pretty creative with the powers people have and how to apply them. You might like it, but it's very, very long.

I was opposed to guns on Jakkard, but I've since acknowledged the right call was made and it works really well. The plane would be far worse with wands.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:12 am 

Would like to chime in in favor of Worm. It's the best online fiction I've ever read (that doesn't come from ths forum).

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:59 pm 

I've heard good things about Worm. I even opened it up in a browser tab. But I heard that it was as long as every Harry Potter novel combined, so I chickened out.
Oh yeah- the Ravnica novel had a guy who could control bugs. That was cool.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:44 pm 

I don't know about Worm, but about length... I read every Harry Potter novel in a day (Each, I'm not a superhuman reading machine). Page for page, I feel that comics read faster than books. Word for word, comics read slower. So I feel like a comic that had the same number of pages as every harry potter book combined would... it'd be a hell of an archive binge, but it could be worth it. There are some serious long-runners I've binged and it's generally been a mixed experience. If it's word for word, though, panic time.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:23 am 

I'm pretty sure that Worm is a novel.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 40  Next