It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 416, 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422 ... 430  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:26 pm 

I'd like to say that when I'm complaining about the blandness of styles across anime I'm more talking about the gross homogeny rather than the minor diversity. Like, I'm not going to complain about shows (especially those with obviously large animation budgets) having eye candy for visuals, but I wish there was more variation in the more obvious qualities, like the color palette of Tatami Galaxy, or the lanky character designs of XXXHolic, or the pencil-like linework of Crayon Shin-chan or My Neighbors the Yamadas, or the Flash-like simplified abstract base designs of Pop Team Epic or Aggretsuko or Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt.

I mean, at that point you're more talking about the differences in studios and the projects they dump money into.
Studio Trigger is distinct from Production IG is distinct from Ghibli is distinct from KyoAni.

Quote:
I would like to make comparisons to Western animations, but I think Mown has a point about comedy shows getting more variation, considering most of the ones I would point to are either comedy shows aimed at adults or kids' shows with a heavy comedy leaning. The one show that comes to mind that isn't quite either of those is Over the Garden Wall, but I wouldn't call that particularly distinct the same way shows like Archer or Bob's Burgers or Regular Show or Adventure Time or The Amazing WOrld of Gumball are. All of those have super-distinct styles that wouldn't be confused for another show, IMO.

Basically all of those are tied specifically to the series creators. Adam Reed particularly with Archer since you can actually directly track the progression of how his style came to be from Sealab to Frisky Dingo to Archer.
Similarly, JG Quintel's stuff will always resemble Regular Show. Y'know, if it **** existed. There was supposed to have been another series called Close Enough, but then Louis CK admitted to #metoo ing some ladies, so Close Enough got scuttled.

By the same measure on the flip side, there's this thing got the CalArts style that's... well, you'll find people raging over it.

Quote:
I think complaints about sameness of plot or themes will always be true of any industry this big, though; isekai is the big "you can't get away from it" genre for anime right now the same way battle royale is the big "you can't get away from it" genre of video games.

Funny enough Battle Royale clones are numerous in anime too. In every context applicable.
The one thing I'm surprised we haven't seen is an Imouto Isekai show.
"I'm stuck in another world with my little sister!"
>blugh<

Quote:
In other anime talk, I am having a harder time working through WataMote than I did with N.H.K., even though I'm finding the main character's actions and thoughts more believable because she's a teenager (at best), rather than a grown-ass adult, and all the stupidity, hormones, and social anxiety that comes with that.

WataMote is very hard for me to watch.

Quote:
Also because I got downvoted a bit, I finally started season 3 of Attack on Titan. The first few episodes were surprisingly good, but then it started on its old tricks and has been making me really ANGRY.

Good, gooood. Let the Hate flow.

Quote:
So, I learned about the New Guardians and I was wondering if Barinellos had any familiarity with it or the people behind it. Supposedly it's written by a comedy writer, which is why it feels so stupidly overblown, but at the same time I can't help but feel that's not quite the saving grace it should be. I can see it being very tongue-in-cheek, but from the design to the announcement it feels like it's made more for outrage marketing instead of being a good property on its own merits. Thoughts?

I think you mean New Warriors. The New Guardians was something else from DC.
If you do mean New Warriors, it's absolute garbage of the highest tier. People like him don't understand outrage might proliferate advertisement, but it does not sell product. The fact that it screams parody but ISN'T also shows a stunning lack of awareness and the backlash to the backlash also perfectly demonstrates that the writers don't understand how economic markets work. They're insulated by their echo chambers and gatekeeping and genuinely don't get how fragile their position is because they suffer no blowback and face no consequences.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:19 pm 

Identity: Human
Barinellos wrote:
I mean, at that point you're more talking about the differences in studios and the projects they dump money into.
Studio Trigger is distinct from Production IG is distinct from Ghibli is distinct from KyoAni.

I suppose in one sense I am, but beyond the fact that I largely see KyoAni, A1, I.G., and others sharing a LOT of the same styles, there's also just the manner in which some works are adapted. I adore what little of the Galko-chan manga I've managed to pick up (the first 2 volumes) in no small part because of the distinct style the manga has, and yet the anime adaptation doesn't share that style and that makes me feel a little let down.

Barinellos wrote:
Funny enough Battle Royale clones are numerous in anime too.

I mean, from what I understand the concept originated from a Japanese live action movie, so this doesn't surprise me.

Barinellos wrote:
I think you mean New Warriors. The New Guardians was something else from DC.

Yeah, for some reason I just CANNOT remember the name of the thing. I kept wanting to call it the "New Heroes" and I knew that was even more a generic name and couldn't be right. I had to look up the name for my last post and I still managed to screw it up.

Good to know about all that, though. I don't know enough about the comics industry to understand what's going on -- not that this interested me in the first place since I don't gravitate towards superheroes -- but I was intrigued enough to ask. When I read that the New Warriors have been around a while and they were described by official sources as always having been the "most 'now' thing," it raised an eyebrow. Things designed to be as up-to-date with the modern culture... has there ever been anything like that that's worked out? The closest I can think of would be the first Sonic games, because they were trying to make something that was in that 90s TOTALLY RADICAL style.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:49 pm 

Good to know about all that, though. I don't know enough about the comics industry to understand what's going on -- not that this interested me in the first place since I don't gravitate towards superheroes -- but I was intrigued enough to ask. When I read that the New Warriors have been around a while and they were described by official sources as always having been the "most 'now' thing," it raised an eyebrow. Things designed to be as up-to-date with the modern culture... has there ever been anything like that that's worked out? The closest I can think of would be the first Sonic games, because they were trying to make something that was in that 90s TOTALLY RADICAL style.

Long story short being there's a cabal based out of major progressive locations that promote talent that politically aligns with them rather than based on actual talent. They gatekeep the smaller publishers and work like minded individuals up into the larger companies where any dissent is met with cancel culture. Following that, they pump a TON of shallow progressive ideals into comics instead of decent stories and obsessed with the tokenization of basically every representation they can, usually bumping established characters out of the limelight to promote their agenda.
When established fans take issue, the comic 'pros' attack ad nauseum with the standard array of cancel culture buzzwords on social media.*

The biggest issue is that the writers are allowed to do this because they are selling their works to the publishers instead of the fans. The publishers allow this because they're selling to the distributor instead of the fans. The distributor has no real capacity to stop them, but will force ship books to the comic shops who are stuck paying for books that don't move. And then they eventually fail or diversify sufficiently to absorb the cost of trash tier comics.

All that said, the comic book industry is very very sick right now. It has been for about five years.
It's the lack of accountability by the creatives and their obsession with identity politics. Though the actual QUALITY of those getting work has also diminished as they've taken to hiring more people willing to work for less to account for selling fewer books.

*seriously, you should see the sort of **** these people say to customers. It's actually obscene.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:06 pm 

Animal Crossing had my Penguin and Teddy Bear neighbors performing a duet in the town square for 3 hours. Extremely cute but quite distracting.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:29 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
Animal Crossing had my Penguin and Teddy Bear neighbors performing a duet in the town square for 3 hours. Extremely cute but quite distracting.

Initially, I misread that as "duel" and was curious who had besmirched whom's honor.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:29 pm 

Since I now know people would get this -- I'm normally kinda shy about merch, but I've needed a card folio/trade binder for a long time and kinda want one with covers styled after the Book of Clow. Sadly despite there usually being TCG merch of just about every show under the sun, I don't think such a thing exists.

~~~

Thinking of anime with a different art style (though somewhat familiar to late seasons of RWBY) I've started watching Knights of Sidonia. I can best describe it as "Attack on Ulamog, in space" but it is FAR less pointlessly grimdark than AoT with characters that have thusfar been more enjoyable and endearing.

~~~

I've never felt great about Isekai, even from when I knew it in western media rather than anime. Part of why I always preferred Prydain and Middle-Earth to Narnia as a kid was grounded on that feeling, that things were generally more fun when characters were part of the story rather than visiting. As I got older, I was able to more put it into better terms: the "real worlders in fantasy land" (or, as I now know it, Isekai) element is most often used as a lazy way to connect a reader from "present day, present time" to the material, when going with a native would be more interesting because they would be germane to the story. I can handle the setting being not Earth, you don't have to inject Earth into it. Better than bringing fantasy characters to New York City to have their journey rudely guided by some common earth folks with 'wacky hijinx' about how they don't fit in, but not as good as letting them have their own story (Reverse Isekai, if you will). The Last Unicorn > Narnia > Troll in Central Park.

As I started to really dive into Anime, I actually briefly warmed up to the idea of Isekai, because I encountered a few shows that used the element well, and gave the Earthling a role that couldn't just have been filled with a native without some loss. Familiar of Zero (for all that I grew to HATE the second season with the burning fury of a thousand Junds) was cleverly set up and integrated so that the fantasy world was entwined with Earth in subtle but interesting ways. Restaurant to Another World (Isekai Shokudou) is a nice little fluff piece that simply would not work without the cross-culture element, though it's also anything but traditional Isekai. Vision of Escaflowne might have functioned fine without the Isekai lead and Isaac Newton as the Isekai villain, but I thought it was fine with it. Even Konosuba, though it's more a parody, gets better mileage out of Kazuma's Isekai status than a lot of the western young-audience Isekai I was once familiar with.

When I got deeper, though, I started to realize how relentless and relentlessly same-y a lot of the pitches for new airing anime were (and are). A normal person (typically a teen or a salaryman), is reincarnated, reborn, or (for teens) transported into a fantasy world, which has solid odds of being just like a video game the main character knew, and in that world though they may initially appear to be weak and helpless (some may not) their unique power, ability, or rarely knowledge will enable them to be the most amazing unstoppable force the world has ever known. On their way they'll meet several attractive girls who all fall for them, though there are high odds that they reciprocate the feelings of one and only one (quiet unassuming waif|fiery tsundere) who they struggle to form a stable relationship with despite other options practically throwing themselves at the lead on their quest to save the world. I know, "there are only so many stories" and some things can have a lot of similarities without being problematically same-y, but there are also only so many times you can repeat so many precise beats. Compare to the "Lord of the Rings Ripoff" genre of Fantasy novel like The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks or The Iron Tower by Dennis L McKiernan. While both are gateways into more creative worlds and have some elements of originality, their largely cookie-cutter approach to their themes and plot drags them down in a HUGE way. I probably never would have gone past Sword if I hadn't bought Elfstones and Wishsong at the same time and had only those books while away from home. A lot of these Isekai shows looked as similar to each other as those books to each other

That said, I have to admit that I still think my interface with Japanese media has largely rehabilitated "Isekai" for me rather than brought me to curse it. While there's absolutely a stinking morass full of decaying clones of whatever template really got the genre going (SAO? RE:Zero? I hear those brought up a lot), there are still some Isekai releases that have me... at least mildly interested. For instance, the upcoming season has "My Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!" which is absolutely Isekai but enough away from the lazy Isekai template that I'm actually somewhat curious what it's going to be like and I think it sounds like it could work

~~~

With everyone talking WataMote... I tried to watch it a while ago. Sorta dropped it after Episode 3. Didn't feel any rancor towards the show, but just wasn't having fun.

~~~

Can I say I'm suddenly very glad I've never really been invested in print comics?

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:20 am 

Since I now know people would get this -- I'm normally kinda shy about merch, but I've needed a card folio/trade binder for a long time and kinda want one with covers styled after the Book of Clow. Sadly despite there usually being TCG merch of just about every show under the sun, I don't think such a thing exists.

It probably does/did, but you'd more than likely have to search for Weiss Shwartz merch to see if they did a run of it. That's one card game that utterly baffles me btw.

One of my proudest pieces of nerd swag is my 1:1 Book of Clow with the cards. I've likely had it for something like 17-18 years. It sits right next to my Ocarina of Time and Dragonballs.

Quote:
Thinking of anime with a different art style (though somewhat familiar to late seasons of RWBY) I've started watching Knights of Sidonia. I can best describe it as "Attack on Ulamog, in space" but it is FAR less pointlessly grimdark than AoT with characters that have thusfar been more enjoyable and endearing.

I've heard good things. Isn't it a mech show?

Quote:
Better than bringing fantasy characters to New York City to have their journey rudely guided by some common earth folks with 'wacky hijinx' about how they don't fit in, but not as good as letting them have their own story (Reverse Isekai, if you will).

Hey! The Devil is a Part Timer is a great show dammit!

And actually, I'm decently interested in In/Specter as well.

Quote:
That said, I have to admit that I still think my interface with Japanese media has largely rehabilitated "Isekai" for me rather than brought me to curse it. While there's absolutely a stinking morass full of decaying clones of whatever template really got the genre going (SAO? RE:Zero? I hear those brought up a lot), there are still some Isekai releases that have me... at least mildly interested. For instance, the upcoming season has "My Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!" which is absolutely Isekai but enough away from the lazy Isekai template that I'm actually somewhat curious what it's going to be like and I think it sounds like it could work

I think the absolute worst one I've ever seen was "Reincarnated with my Smart Phone" which is just unrelenting lazy trash.

I'll admit that, though I have some problems with it, I still enjoy Reincarnated as a Slime. It's not super, but it has a friendly tone.
Which is a pretty stout departure from the other two I like. Overlord and Saga of Tanya the Evil. Because I 1) seem to like Myth & Roid and 2) am way too ready to accept an unapologetically monstrous being as my protagonist.

I AM really looking forward to Mushoku Tensei when it comes though. It has some gorgeous animation, but more it actually uses the reincarnation portion of the plot to genuinely grow the main character and character development is as rare as hen's teeth in Isekai.

Quote:
With everyone talking WataMote... I tried to watch it a while ago. Sorta dropped it after Episode 3. Didn't feel any rancor towards the show, but just wasn't having fun.

My cringe tolerance is really low and it felt like I might OD.

Quote:
Can I say I'm suddenly very glad I've never really been invested in print comics?

It was a way my father and I could bond.
I've been reading them since before I could actually READ.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:01 am 

I mean, define Mech show for Sidonia. There are mechs in it, but it's more straight sci-fi than most of the show's I've seen that register as "mecha". You could replace the gardes (mechs) with X-wings and the story would still go largely the same. Granted, my mecha experience is largely super robot (Eva, Franxx, RahXephon, Demonbane, Star Driver...) rather than real robot (I hear that's what Gundam is more like) so I might have a somewhat skewed view of what counts as being part of the genre.

I had to actually applaud it on the episode I watched today; they needed to slow/stop in space, the dialogue called to "cut thrusters" and the mechs... actually performed short retrograde burns to arrest their momentum. Somebody writing this show cared how space works, at some level, and I tend to appreciate touches like that.

~~~

In/Spectre doesn't have anything to do with (reverse) Isekai, it's just Urban Fantasy. Having just finished I would highly recommend the manga and wouldn't say to avoid the show, just know it works better in its previous format.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:13 am 

I mean, define Mech show for Sidonia. There are mechs in it, but it's more straight sci-fi than most of the show's I've seen that register as "mecha". You could replace the gardes (mechs) with X-wings and the story would still go largely the same. Granted, my mecha experience is largely super robot (Eva, Franxx, RahXephon, Demonbane, Star Driver...) rather than real robot (I hear that's what Gundam is more like) so I might have a somewhat skewed view of what counts as being part of the genre.

Gundam more or less invented the Real Robo genre, but yes, that and Macross strike very similar tones to what you described.
Gigguk has a really good video about the history of the Mech Genre if you want to watch it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:39 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I'm sure the manga is better, but In/Spectre as an anime is really, really slow, and I'm surprised I didn't drop it.
I've grown to be extremely fond of Attack on Titan after initially not caring for it, but if you didn't like the second season, I kind of doubt you'll like the the third one.

I think the stand-out shows for me this season, outside of some sports shows I can't help but love, were Pet and ID:Invaded. They're both real-world adjacent shows. Pet is about a Chinese mafia raising a bunch of kids capable of super-hypnosis to do their unsavory work. It doesn't really have a clear protagonist with a clear story, and is more about taking a situation and watching it unfold through conflicting interests. ID:Invaded is significantly more high concept, as a mystery show facilitated by a law enforcement organization using a machine to simulate a criminal person's subconsciousness as a murder mystery in order to solve crimes. It manages to use its worldbuilding and sense of internal consistency to pull off some pretty great scenes.
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken is probably also pretty good, and I imagine it appeals to creative folks. That said, not my cup of tea, I can't engage with someone else's enthusiasm.

Isekai just took on the baton of the magic battle high school fantasy self-insert fantasies. I imagine the popularity boom means that teenagers are more likely to write them, and companies have lower thresholds for producing them, resulting in an unholy combination. I personally really miss the battle academy shows, as far as trashy shows go they were far more enjoyable. Although I can't remember any of them being particularly high quality, unlike Isekai which has a few gems. Re:Creators had something good going on in terms of reverse isekai, but sadly it dropped the ball.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:23 am 

Isekai
I can't say I'm tired of isekai shows because I've watched so few of them, though; and because I tend to only consume media which I've heard good things about, I've mostly ended up watching/reading the better ones. I think my first introduction to the genre was SAO, which I remember losing my **** over, on my own as I had not listened to any talk around the show, by the second arc. I took a similar blind chance on Slime Time, but that one ended up being surprisingly enjoyable for reasons we've discussed before: the main character may be all-powerful, but he's rather selfless, and the series focuses on him building a world for all these monstrous races to live peacefully in, rather than just trying to become the strongest in the land or whatever.

I totally agree with Mown in that isekai as a genre has replaced the [highschool] battle series like Bleach or Naruto that used to be so popular; it's just that now the harem elements are more prevalent because they're trying to sell themselves as the ultimate escapist fantasies for hormonal teenage boys. Most of those old shows were more-or-less lazy copies of Dragon Ball Z, except the main character was usually a loser who had some secret unknown power that just had to be unlocked for him to be the greatest ninja strongest fighter, which was just as lazy writing as most isekai shows' main characters being main characters who hacked the game have a unique power that gives them god-like advantages in this new world. Shows like Kenichi, which showed actual training and slow improvement rather than just being the best from the get-go were just as rare in those days.

That's kind of what I'm enjoying about Yu Yu Hakusho: the main character isn't exactly someone gifted with great talent or power that he didn't know he had, he's just someone that others see great potential in and he has to work hard and suffer to achieve that potential. There are a lot of other (often minor) problems the show has, but it's honestly a bit of fresh air compared to the shows I'm used to.

(Side note: I talk about "isekai as a genre" to mean as it exists now, rather than applying the "stranger in a strange land" trope to older media. I would think that is among the oldest storytelling tropes, considering how easy it is to apply, though I don't have any specific historical (as in, mythology or folk tales) examples to provide.)

WataMote
I don't really understand people's concept of the word "cringe" (much the same way I don't really understand people's concept of the word "fun"), but a lot of my in-the-moment feelings while watching WataMote is anger toward the main character for being a complete idiot. Some interactions I understand because I've been there -- like repeating a lame line because you thought someone didn't hear you, then finding out that it just wasn't as good as it was in your head -- but a lot of them are just frustrating. It doesn't make my blood boil in the same way AoT does, it's just a lot like when you're screaming at the teenage characters in a horror movie because they decide to take a shower in a haunted house while the lights are out. The lack of awareness of the main character is what frustrates me, but as I said it's a lot more understandable here because of how young she is.

I think a lot of my frustration also comes from the fact that the things she wants are things that I find vapid and shallow, while the things she regrets doing I find fulfilling. It's kind of like how I saw someone saying that they discovered, with the lockdowns going on all around several countries, that people consider their preferred way of living to be hell. Like, in one of the first few episodes she goes out after school, then regrets spending the whole time reading in a bookstore -- I would have found that really fulfilling.

All that said, I do intend to finish it, just slowly. In bite-sized chunks.

Comics
I know I got started in comics with my brother's incomplete collection of the Elfquest series. I've been meaning to reread it for a while now (especially since I've managed to track down the missing volumes) to see how it holds up, especially with how my tastes have changed over the last two decades. I never really had a concept of other comics until getting into the My Little Pony comics one year, though. I know I've read a number of webcomics, but besides being a vastly different beast more often than not, the ones I had read back then were never complete in any sense.

I still have a soft spot for the IDW tie-ins for MLP and Transformers, though because both series have varied authors and artists, the quality of each can be quite hit-and-miss, so I'm not often reading them.

My favorite comics so far have all been mini-series. Simon Spurrier in particular has captured my interest as the writer behind The Spire, Six-Gun Gorilla, and Godshaper. Snarked! -- a younger-audience adventure in Wonderland -- is another mini-series I quite thoroughly enjoyed. Hinges (originally a webcomic) is an amazing three-volume comic which is my most recent love.

Due to Comixology (owned by Amazon) offering frequent sales on their digital comics, I've also managed to get into a couple of longer-running series by buying the first volumes while on sale. I found Revival to be a heavy, visceral ride but was really satisfied by the end. Meanwhile, despite what I consider to be the most boring panel layout ever, I've come to enjoy Mouse Guard for its story and world.

I know none of these are exactly "independent" (maybe with the exception of Hinges), but to my knowledge most of the comics that I've picked up and enjoyed aren't exactly "mainstream," either.

Mecha shows
I feel like this is something I may have to ask you all about how you see "mecha" shows. Because when I tally up the ones I've seen or at least know enough about, I've found that in a majority of shows, the mechs themselves aren't just mechs. I mean that more than how you're defining them as "super robo" and "real robo," but rather whether the mechs are just treated as an advanced technology like a tank, or whether they're something more important to the show.

In my experience:
  • Code Geass - the mechs are quite literally the next generation of tanks
  • Eureka Seven - the mechs are aliens and understanding the aliens is the entire plot
  • Big O - the mechs are metaphors, or at least all taken together are one big metaphor
  • Evangelion - the mechs are aliens, but also metaphors
  • FLCL - kind of had a mech? that was alien and a metaphor
  • Gurren Lagann - the mechs are basically metaphors
  • Planet With - the mechs (which are kind of closer to magical girl transformations) are just mechs, really; power to be wielded
  • Samurai 7 - the mechs are really just mechs, since they're stand-ins for the guns which the new government was using
  • IGPX - the mechs were just skating mechs for sports
  • Hot Dog in the Bun (Darling in the Franxx) - the mechs were metaphors for sex
  • Gunbuster 2: Diebuster - the mechs were aliens and also metaphors

I know that I've watched Vandread and some form of both Zoids and Gundam, but I don't remember much of any of them (Vandread in particular was highly forgettable).

Attack on Titan
Mown wrote:
I've grown to be extremely fond of Attack on Titan after initially not caring for it, but if you didn't like the second season, I kind of doubt you'll like the the third one.

I mean, I'm not watching it to find out if I'll suddenly like it. I always intended to watch it because I love to hate it. I just decided to do so sooner rather than later so that I don't have to put a disclaimer that I haven't watched season 3 whenever I talk about it to people.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:47 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I guess that's a valid reason too.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:26 pm 

I feel like the Battle (high)school anime are my guilty pleasure, sort of the "binge on cookie-dough ice cream" of anime. Granted, there are some infamously bad ones that I "need" to watch (looking at you, Infinite Stratos) and haven't yet but when I think about shows that weren't great or thought-provoking but turned out very entertaining all the same, there are a LOT of super school brawlers.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:17 pm 

I feel like the Battle (high)school anime are my guilty pleasure, sort of the "binge on cookie-dough ice cream" of anime. Granted, there are some infamously bad ones that I "need" to watch (looking at you, Infinite Stratos) and haven't yet but when I think about shows that weren't great or thought-provoking but turned out very entertaining all the same, there are a LOT of super school brawlers.

Infinite Stratos is schlock, but it's highly enjoyable schlock.
Unbreakable Machine Doll is ok too, except for being all of one season, but that might just be bias because the end theme is so catchy and there's a scottish dragon.

Actually, I could just keep going if anyone wanted me to.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:10 pm 

I very much enjoyed Unbreakable Machine Doll myself -- could have stood to get the full story and sadly the light novels don't seem to have gotten English translations. Watched it late October last year because it had some similar notes in its pitch to the project I wanted to develop for NaNoWriMo. For me it had a nice balance between cool ideas and fantastic schlock. And that ending theme was insanely catchy. Anti-Magic Academy was a recent watch for me that existed in a similar space but with dramatically different trappings where I could look at it and say "This isn't nearly as stupid as it might appear."

Had heard mostly bad things (and some neutral, not good) about Stratos, nice to hear there's at least some fun to be had because it's going to be a when I dig into it, not if.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:49 pm 

Tomorrow my house will be fully upgraded in ACNH. I can now do other things yay! Probably going to ignore the final loan for a bit.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:59 pm 

I very much enjoyed Unbreakable Machine Doll myself -- could have stood to get the full story and sadly the light novels don't seem to have gotten English translations. Watched it late October last year because it had some similar notes in its pitch to the project I wanted to develop for NaNoWriMo. For me it had a nice balance between cool ideas and fantastic schlock. And that ending theme was insanely catchy. Anti-Magic Academy was a recent watch for me that existed in a similar space but with dramatically different trappings where I could look at it and say "This isn't nearly as stupid as it might appear."

My favorite part of the ending is when they say "bon"

Quote:
Had heard mostly bad things (and some neutral, not good) about Stratos, nice to hear there's at least some fun to be had because it's going to be a when I dig into it, not if.

Most everyone I've seen complaining about IS are mecha fanboys buttmad over the fact it's highly rated for the mech genre.
Season 1 IS better than Season 2 though, but frankly I was down for all the stupid. And honestly, the fight scenes aren't even close to bad. And personally I really enjoy basically all the characters, even if Ichika is one of the absolute dumbest harem protags out there.
I think a problem I have is this idea that anime isn't supposed to be schlock, or the existence of dumb anime somehow delegitimizes more profound and emotional work. That "art" is somehow sacrosanct and can't coexist with anything that isn't pretentious as ****.
Gigguk has the right of it though: "Anime is trash, and so am I"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:12 am 

Barinellos wrote:

I wanted to bring this back up for two reasons:

1. As I looked more into it, I notice a distinct difference between each of those named studios' variety. Trigger has a LOT more differently-styled anime in its 30 titles than I.G. has in it's 300-some-odd.

2. I think I've been making a heatmap type of mistake, more-or-less equivalent to trying to say "too many movies look like the summer action blockbusters." Those may be the most popular, but there are certainly a wealth of alternatives.

I'm sure there's something that could be said about variation if like, all the anime from each {arbitrary block of time} if you took the time to look at each of them, but the industry is so much larger than it was in the 90s, or the 80s, or the 70s, that there are SURE to be a lot more uniquely-styled anime now, by volume, even if not by proportion.

---------

In other news, I finished off Attack on Titan season 3. I didn't think the show could sink lower than it was, but somehow it managed it. I had honestly forgotten how bad it was, because season 2 didn't have its two worst sins: the way it keeps screaming "FEEL SOMETHING!" at the audience when it doesn't actually illicit any sympathy; and the way everybody has to be PERFECT at what they do, but their enemies have to have every asspull imaginable to make the obstacle impenetrable. Don't even get me started on the memory wiping and how pointless that is to the story.

I also watched a video that was reviewing a chapter of the manga and, I kid you not, the chapter starts with "mass slaughter is bad!" Like, I can't even BEGIN to describe how bad that writing is.

Season 4 is supposed to come this Fall (assuming it's not delayed as some other anime have been), and it's supposed to be the last season, and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that. Like, on the one hand, the zombie will finally be put to rest, but on the other hand, I won't have anything to continue hating after it ends. Maybe I can try summoning up hatred for SAO again, since I know I've missed like 2 seasons of that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:37 pm 

I always end up hating myself when I post too frequently because of how I waffle back and forth on things or blurt something out without thinking.

That said, I was wondering if anyone has any experience as to whether Konosuba has a good English dub? Since I have a piece of merch (one of those keychain/phone charms that I literally found on the ground outside a Best Buy), I figured I might go ahead and tackle that. I might have even gone for the Spanish dub, but it seems that's only for paid subscribers, so that's a no-go, I guess.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:29 pm 

I didn’t even finish one season of AoT. I am genuinely surprised it’s up to three.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 416, 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422 ... 430  Next