It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404 ... 435  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:18 am 

mjack33 wrote:
I have zero sympathy for Arthur Fleck after watching the movie. I don’t find him to be a sympathetic character at all.
Spoiler

Harvey Dent was well done in The Dark Knight. They are going to have a really hard time topping that performance for me. That being said the villains were the only really good characters in that one.

The villains in that one were the only decent part of that entire trilogy.
Nolan's films were godawful Batman movies. They were barely functional as movies in the first place.

The fact that SO much of Ledger's performance was improv is as damning as anything.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:28 pm 

Today I learned that Hong Kong has a population about a third the size of the population of Taiwan. I also learned that Taiwan has a population about a fifth that of Japan and Japan has a population greater than a third the size of the population of the USA while we have a population a little under a fourth of what China has.

The world is a lot bigger than when I woke up this morning, but it is also a lot smaller.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 pm 

Identity: Human
Having not seen the movie, I can't speak to it directly, but I will say that I dislike the seemingly prevalent urge to give every villain some tragic, sympathetic origin. To me, it furthers this underlying belief that nothing is anybody's "fault," that all destructive behavior stems from some early tragedy.

I agree with you to a large extent, at least insofar as that I also dislike this cultural narrative -- this shift that happened while I was being raised by parents a generation or two removed,* who took personal responsibility very seriously -- that bad things aren't your fault or responsibility.

As far as media is concerned, though, I personally can't behind the "evil for the sake of being evil" most of the time. I'm fairly okay with a villainous backstory being that some trauma "broke" them, because I personally cannot grasp how people like Fire Lord Ozai work. I can appreciate a good buildup, or a truly broken, psychopathic character, but I'm naïve enough to have a hard time buying into a sociopath as a character. All that said, I largely don't watch superhero-related media,** so I'm probably not the best person to talk about this.

*just to reiterate, though I think it's been said before; there is 15 years between my older brother and I, and 15 years between my parents' ages. My father just died in his 80s, and I'm not even 30 yet.

**I've long said that the only comic-book movies I care about are the non-superhero ones, with the main ones being V for Vendetta and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, but in recent years I've come to appreciate some superheros from outside the usual roster. I quite liked Guardians of the Galaxy, and I find My Hero Academia to be a riot and pretty decent show.

--------

In other news... Tornadoes. I haven't been hit, but I sure got a scare the other night as my phone gave me a Tornado Warning right as I was about to go to sleep. A tornado touched down on the opposite side of Dallas, but another was threatening to form somewhere around me (never did). Another cold front is about to collide with our warm weather soon (tomorrow-ish) and do the windy boogaloo all over again. ****...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:30 am 

Now, sociopaths are people who exist in the real world, so there is nothing wrong with them existing in fiction. That said, a dynamic villain still needs a motivation (except in a few special cases). Now, a sociopath/psychopath doesn't necessarily need a good motivation. A serial killer who murders women who look like the babysitter he was obsessed with as a child is not a character we can relate to or sympathise with, but it is a character we can understand. Likewise, Raiker Venn. We can't relate to his motivation, but we understand that he has it. That makes him an effective villain.

However, I feel that the Joker is (or should be) a unique case. The best versions of the Joker (see The Dark Knight) do not have a clear motivation or backstory. The Joker is at his best not as a character but as a force of nature (although apparently one of the comic writers once tried to explicitly state that he was a literal force of nature and that didn't work either). Ledger's Joker had hints of a backstory and a motivation, but those things were not important in light of what the Joker was at that point. Instead, he offered several different explanations so that we all knew that yes, there are plenty of ways a person could get this messed up, and it doesn't matter which one it was. The only important thing is that somehow we got the Joker. And that's how he should be.

my ego sig

Last edited by Aaarrrgh on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:47 am 

Right now Stepjan Seijic, who is my absolute favorite comic artist/writer, is doing a book about Harley.
The things he's doing with ALL the characters, including the Joker are brilliant.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:06 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Barinellos wrote:
Right now Stepjan Seijic, who is my absolute favorite comic artist/writer, is doing a book about Harley.
The things he's doing with ALL the characters, including the Joker are brilliant.

Stepjan's AWESOME, I follow him on DA and just the doodles that originated that concept were magnificent. And the things he does with panels are just crazy good, Sunstone also has a great example of that.

I agree that some characters don't need to have a compelling backstory: the things they are doing in the present wouldn't be improved by a perspective of their past. I love the Joker's "Choose Your Own Backstory" trait, can be exploited for cool storytelling tricks, and I loved Heath Ledger's Joker. Leto's... not so much... and I'm on the fence about Phoenix's version. The man did a fantastic job on set, but the politics of Joker's last speech (to point out the worst offender) are straight up terrible.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:27 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
A serial killer who murders women who look like the babysitter he was obsessed with as a child is not a character we can relate to or sympathise with, but it is a character we can understand. Likewise, Raiker Venn. We can't relate to his motivation, but we understand that he has it. That makes him an effective villain.

We can't relate to Raiker? Oh, oh, I mean, I mean yes, we can't relate to Raiker. :paranoid:

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:00 pm 

Food for thought: A quote from one of my favorite books is paraphrased as “You are immortal, not invincible.” A main character is forced to face the limits of self revival; bc it takes them up to a week to come back from the dead.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:45 am 

So, um, I don't know if anyone here is aware of/following The Saga of Rex, the dialogue-less comic being made into a feature-length "silent" animation, but after finding the comic in a used bookstore yesterday, I decided to go look it up again, and found some interesting news that I can't find any evidence of being talked about here.

Netflix is making an entire animated Magic: the Gathering series. Apparently this was announced/revealed a few months ago at SDCC. Also apparently, the director(s) of Endgame are the ones adapting the story.

Just thought I'd let people know, since I don't remember it being discussed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:55 pm 

So, um, I don't know if anyone here is aware of/following The Saga of Rex, the dialogue-less comic being made into a feature-length "silent" animation, but after finding the comic in a used bookstore yesterday, I decided to go look it up again, and found some interesting news that I can't find any evidence of being talked about here.

Netflix is making an entire animated Magic: the Gathering series. Apparently this was announced/revealed a few months ago at SDCC. Also apparently, the director(s) of Endgame are the ones adapting the story.

Just thought I'd let people know, since I don't remember it being discussed.

I'm pretty sure that I had heard that, though admittedly I think there's been rumors of it for years. There's certainly a part of me that's interested because, obviously, I very much believe in the potential of the setting and the color wheel philosophy and the like. But since I imagine it will be basically "Jacetice League: The Animated Series," I will likely not be checking it out. Also, I don't have any of those online streaming services everybody seems chemically dependent on these days, and I'm sure it will be on one of them, so I probably couldn't watch it even if I wanted to.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:39 am 

Also, I don't have any of those online streaming services everybody seems chemically dependent on these days, and I'm sure it will be on one of them, so I probably couldn't watch it even if I wanted to.
freakin' word
just you and me, not streaming.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:45 am 

Yeah, it's a Netflix original, so it won't be anywhere else. It has been discussed briefly on other parts of the forums, but there really isn't much to talk about at this point. The promo image they released is just a stylized edit of a Chandra card art, but that doesn't really say anything, because they haven't even started writing yet. The Russos said in interview that it's going to be an original story, but that it was possible that we would see some known characters. I guess time will tell.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:16 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
freakin' word
just you and me, not streaming.

I had Amazon Prime for two or three months for the shipping a few years ago, and I literally never used the streaming video stuff, and then I cancelled it. Whenever anyone talks about some show, they almost always end the conversation with some version of "It's on Netflix. Check it out." Conversely, when I tell them about some show I used to watch back in the old days, they always ask "Is it on Netflix, or what?"

It's a very annoying cultural shift.

Aaarrrgh wrote:
Yeah, it's a Netflix original, so it won't be anywhere else. It has been discussed briefly on other parts of the forums, but there really isn't much to talk about at this point. The promo image they released is just a stylized edit of a Chandra card art, but that doesn't really say anything, because they haven't even started writing yet. The Russos said in interview that it's going to be an original story, but that it was possible that we would see some known characters. I guess time will tell.

Interesting. Do we know if it's an "original story" or "original characters?" Because if it's original characters, I would be a lot more hopeful for the series. Unless it's just, like, the Teen (Nine) Titans or something, with some Gatewatch B-Team running around. Basically, I would hope to never hear the term "Gatewatch" ever in the show. If I watched it...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:35 pm 

The only thing we know is that they are going to milk the license for as much as they can.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:46 pm 

Greatest coup would be if the "original story" was the Corondor Planeswalker War. It was never finally told so it would be "original".

I mean, that's not happening but it would be hilarious.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:44 pm 

I got new glasses today for the first time in, well, basically since I've known all of you. Turns out I'm living in a fishbowl...

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:11 pm 

Another problem I have discovered with these new glasses is typing. So, while I sort of hate to admit this, and despite having typed over 700,000 words for the Archive and very likely over a million words since joining the community, I am not actually a touch typist. When I am not thinking about it, I can go for quite a while without looking at the keyboard, as I did with this last sentence. Still, though, I tend to look down at the keyboard a lot, and not looking, while possible, slows me down. Looking downward at the keyboard right now is strange and disorienting.

This wouldn't be a huge problem, except it's nearly Halloween, and I usually try to post something at least vaguely Halloween themed. I hope to this year, as well, but I am only about two-thirds done with the story, and time is closing in. So anyway, long story short (too late, I know) I am hoping to have something for everyone on Halloween, but having eyes is something of a challenge for me right now, so I can make no promises.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:43 am 

The vision in my left eye is actually deteriorating.
I should probably go see an optometrist.

But yeah, I know the feels of having a holiday deadline looming. I didn't manage to hit mine, but I hope yours can make it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:41 am 

Barinellos wrote:
The vision in my left eye is actually deteriorating.
I should probably go see an optometrist.

Yeah, I would recommend that. Do you wear glasses or contacts? Or is this a 'first time in your life' kind of a thing?

Barinellos wrote:
But yeah, I know the feels of having a holiday deadline looming. I didn't manage to hit mine, but I hope yours can make it.

Well, I have certainly missed my share over the years. Ultimately, it's not all that big of a deal, but especially for Halloween, I like to get at least something out. I made pretty good progress last night despite my eyes, and I am hopeful that I can finish by Thursday, but we'll see.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:27 pm 

Oh god it's almost November and I haven't looked into getting anyone their Christmas presents what do I do help

I had Amazon Prime for two or three months for the shipping a few years ago, and I literally never used the streaming video stuff, and then I cancelled it. Whenever anyone talks about some show, they almost always end the conversation with some version of "It's on Netflix. Check it out." Conversely, when I tell them about some show I used to watch back in the old days, they always ask "Is it on Netflix, or what?"

It's a very annoying cultural shift.

As an alternative to satellite/cable TV, I greatly prefer streaming as a method of finding new things to watch, but I have a really hard time making it over the mental hump of paying monthly for something I'm not using every day. I also basically only ever use streaming services to watch something I've heard of and want to watch without buying a physical copy. I grew up with a miser of a father and with... well, we weren't poor by any stretch, but saving money was something ingrained in me at a young age, so spending $30 or more on a movie or show I've never seen before, with the chance that I won't like it, is extremely hard for me to justify. I also have to wonder if never using a library might have something to do with it, as I just don't really have a concept of getting something physical without the intent to keep it.

On the other hand, every so often, I'm reminded to take a mental step back and look at how so many people (many of my own generation!) are so accepting of the impermanence of streaming services, and how easy it is to lose access to some show or movie which they enjoy on their subscription service. It's kind of terrifying to me. I shouldn't pretend I'm married to physical media, but the ability to preserve something you love and revisit it in the years to come if you own a physical copy of it, and the way people trade that away gives me a kind of existential dread.

On the other hand, there are some small advantages that streaming services such as Netflix provides, such as language learning. I've learned that Netflix has a variety of subtitle languages, and you can often watch a foreign show/movie in its original language, with that language's subtitles, which is actually a great way to learn a language. For anime especially, it seems about impossible to find a Western release that has Japanese subtitles, even when there is no official dub (and with region-locking being a thing, just buying a Japanese release isn't a feasible option).

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404 ... 435  Next