It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403 ... 433  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:27 am 

Sad to hear that, mjack. Do you want to share, or is vague venting enough for you? Because we're happy to let you do either here.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:24 pm 

I choose not to make the conversation any more depressing than it has currently gotten. I would rather bitch about unimportant things like my gaming pc breaking on Sunday.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:26 pm 

Tech support is an exercise in making the customer give up.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:26 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Context: when I get a fever it stays high for at least 3 days before tapering off.

I'm coming down with a fever 2.5 day before leaving on an ungodly early hour to go on holiday to catch up with a dear friend. On a flight I've already paid.

Gog **** damnit. Jegus bouncing on a yoga ball dildo.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:11 pm 

Step one: hope and pray this passes quicker than expected.
Step two: stock up on pain killers. A lot of pain killers.
Step three: go anyway.

...or, you know, take care of yourself. Whichever is more relevant. Either way, that's rough and I hope it will get better soon.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:17 pm 

Thanks for the Choose Your Own Advice, I really mean it :D

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:10 pm 

Identity: Human
mjack33 wrote:
If it makes anyone feel better; there is probably a 95% chance that my last week was the worst one here.

mjack33 wrote:
Be thankful whenever you have problems that can eventually get better. Some things can’t be, won’t ever be fixed. Sometimes those things hurt like hell. And the world will go on with or without you. The world doesn’t give a **** about who is ready to start moving again.

Life’s a beach like that.

All that is painting a pretty grim picture. I hope you're okay. My ear, shoulder, and arms are open if you need to vent, cry, or just need a hug.

Well, joking aside, there were some mitigating circumstances, though I was certainly regretting it this morning. And for the record, my various bosses would not have had a problem with me canceling for this; it was my call, not theirs. Now I just need to make it through the next six hours or so and I can, hopefully, begin to heal.

I mean, that sounds like even more of a reason to have taken the time to get yourself seen instead of trying to power through it, but what's done is done and I hope you're feeling better today.

--------

In completely unrelated news, I watched this short video about Groundhog Day, and it got me thinking about oldwalkers. I know the topic has been breached before about how an oldwalker's personality would develop, whether they'd fall deeper into their vices or stay static or try to change for the better, and with the way this video quotes the writer(s) of Groundhog Day as they were developing the idea for the movie, it brought to mind a lot of that again. The ultimate conclusion I think it's worth drawing, is that any oldwalker who wasn't already a saint would likely spend most of their lives more deeply in their flaws than trying to change for the better, but that it wouldn't be unsurprising for an oldwalker, particularly one who has become bored of their immortality, to become benevolent, even if it was for the sake of novelty.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:40 pm 

In completely unrelated news, I watched this short video about Groundhog Day, and it got me thinking about oldwalkers. I know the topic has been breached before about how an oldwalker's personality would develop, whether they'd fall deeper into their vices or stay static or try to change for the better, and with the way this video quotes the writer(s) of Groundhog Day as they were developing the idea for the movie, it brought to mind a lot of that again. The ultimate conclusion I think it's worth drawing, is that any oldwalker who wasn't already a saint would likely spend most of their lives more deeply in their flaws than trying to change for the better, but that it wouldn't be unsurprising for an oldwalker, particularly one who has become bored of their immortality, to become benevolent, even if it was for the sake of novelty.

Good to know topics and themes I put out into the aether have staying power.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:20 pm 

Well, joking aside, there were some mitigating circumstances, though I was certainly regretting it this morning. And for the record, my various bosses would not have had a problem with me canceling for this; it was my call, not theirs. Now I just need to make it through the next six hours or so and I can, hopefully, begin to heal.

I mean, that sounds like even more of a reason to have taken the time to get yourself seen instead of trying to power through it, but what's done is done and I hope you're feeling better today.

Yeah, it's always harder to do when it's for yourself, isn't it?

Anyway, they have me on antibiotics now, so hopefully the pain will start to subside soon, and they gave me a suggestion for a combination of over-the-counter pain relievers that should work for the short-term pain management. I was able to sleep pretty well last night, although the pain is back right now, so I hope that it works again tonight. They won't be able to do the root canal until next week Thursday, so hopefully the pain subsides soon.

I know I've quoted this before, but this is a quote that has always resonated with me in terms of oldwalkers, perhaps second only to the oft-lauded "We Were Gods Once" speech. In the novel Planeswalker, Urza says, "Without a plane to bind them, 'walkers forget what they were. They become predators, unless they go mad" (Abbey p. 274). I think that "plane" here can be expanded a bit to cover humanizing concepts, although we've seen in characters like Annalee V'ray that even something like Love in the hands of oldwalkers can become twisted into something much darker.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:22 pm 

Context: when I get a fever it stays high for at least 3 days before tapering off.

I'm coming down with a fever 2.5 day before leaving on an ungodly early hour to go on holiday to catch up with a dear friend. On a flight I've already paid.

Gog **** damnit. Jegus bouncing on a yoga ball dildo.

If you want to expand your vocabulary, watch “Alternative Cuss Words” by Tim Hawkins on YouTube. Dude is a Christian comic and it’s a routine about the hundred best Christian cuss words he could get on short notice.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:21 pm 

Philosophical Question: Should people get what they deserve? Or does everyone as a group deserve better than that? At what point does someone deserving good things offset or not offset someone else’s negative karma? And would we even want to live in a world where karma was real?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:27 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
mjack33 wrote:
Philosophical Question: Should people get what they deserve? Or does everyone as a group deserve better than that? At what point does someone deserving good things offset or not offset someone else’s negative karma? And would we even want to live in a world where karma was real?

Well, ethics doesn't have answers, but here are mine:
People should get more than they deserve. It's not always doable, but in an ideal world, everyone should get everything the want. The only reason to withhold someone's desires would be if fulfilling those desires undermined somebody else's desires. So basically, it's liberal utilitarianism.
I'm not really sure what you mean by "Offsetting karma". Are you asking at what point rewarding the worthy outweighs punishing the unworthy? I just see that as a bad way to look at things. I'm all about getting the good results to outweigh the bad, not getting the good and the bad in the right place. Punishment or reward after the fact just fulfills a primal need to balance the scales (unless we're talking about incentivizing the right behavior, which boosts good outcomes). Care ethics, not justice ethics.
I'm not sure if karma would really stop people from doing bad things. People are pretty awesome at ignoring long term consequences, even outside moments of passion. Maybe if it was immediate and obvious in its source it would work well. I'm uncertain about how well karma would work in promoting good acts. Do they still count as good acts if your motivation is to get good karma? Or if that was part of your reason do you only get partial karma back? I guess you couldn't deny your intentions at that point at least.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:15 am 

mjack33 wrote:
If you want to expand your vocabulary, watch “Alternative Cuss Words” by Tim Hawkins on YouTube. Dude is a Christian comic and it’s a routine about the hundred best Christian cuss words he could get on short notice.

Saw it. Meh. In another forum there's a thread dedicated to gather inventive/hilarious curses and insults, it's a much better source. The Gog/Jegus thing is a Homestuck reference anyway, and I use it to avoid hurting sensibilities rather than out of faith or respect for the misstyped entities.

About karma, I mostly agree with TPmanW; the personal answer to that question should reflect one's opinion about justice systems and prisons, by the way. IMO, people should get what they need to improve and/or stop suffering. Sometimes, punishment directly following a harmful action can demonstrate that way of acting isn't fruitful, and laws (be them from society or the universe itself) against something replace, to a point, the sensibility to understand the danger and/or harm the prohibited behavior generates. More often, a chance to escape the situation that leads to harmful behavior is better. To be honest, my answer is a bit of a pragmatic one: as much as my primitive side enjoys the idea of punishment, I prefer to start from what I value in a society/community (cooperation, care, protection to name a few) and discuss what's the best mean to get that goal.

Every outlook on this theme will have borderline cases in which it's difficult to give an answer, obviously, and by its very definition speaking in general about borderline cases isn't very productive in my opinion, though I could be persuaded otherwise I guess.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:32 pm 

Spoiler because VERY long

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:45 pm 

Saw Joker.

Really good and really bad at the same time. They did an extremely good job with everything. But I do not feel good good after seeing it. Same reaction I had to Phantom of the Opera

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:00 pm 

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:21 am 

If it makes you feel any better, the formula has generated buzz enough that even if we never see Arthur Fleck again, we might not be done with this Gotham.
Talks of two face have been discussed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:58 am 

I like the theory that this isn't really the Joker. Or at least not the only joker. It just doesn't seem right for the Joker to have a clear established canonical origin.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:33 pm 

Having not seen the movie, I can't speak to it directly, but I will say that I dislike the seemingly prevalent urge to give every villain some tragic, sympathetic origin. To me, it furthers this underlying belief that nothing is anybody's "fault," that all destructive behavior stems from some early tragedy. I do think that there are plenty of people who do evil in large part because evil was done to them, but I also believe that there are plenty of people who are just miserable human beings. Some don't care about other humans, some actively enjoy causing suffering in others, and some cause harm believing they are doing the right thing.

I don't need villains to be sympathetic or relatable. I need them to be effective, so that the hero has something meaningful to overcome.

Also, on a purely personal level, I have never cared about Two-Face as a villain or even a character. I get what they're doing with him, I've just...never cared.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:45 pm 

I have zero sympathy for Arthur Fleck after watching the movie. I don’t find him to be a sympathetic character at all.
Spoiler

Harvey Dent was well done in The Dark Knight. They are going to have a really hard time topping that performance for me. That being said the villains were the only really good characters in that one.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403 ... 433  Next