It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400 ... 419  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:02 am 

I've been pretty immersed in MHW Iceborne since it came out and largely keeping my dumb brain from thinking thoughts I don't want it to. With mixed success considering I've been listening to Pink Floyd's The Wall on loop.

That's a rather dire sign usually.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:57 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
I rather enjoyed Erfworld but got lost in the site's awkward navigation- pingponging between written chapters and comics only to realize that no, this wasn't a flashback, I was now reading a fully separate side story, and how do I get back please?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:46 pm 

Identity: Human
mjack33 wrote:
On a positive note me and some friends are greatly enjoying the new Zelda. We also enjoyed Astral Chain (for what it is). And Super Mario World is one of the games that came out for the SNES launch on Nintendo Online service; so I'm really enjoying playing that again.

I was really enjoying my latest replay of Super Metroid -- I play through it every few years because I consider it a master class in game design -- up until my memory card went bad on me. A friend convinced me to buy Divinity while I was waiting on a new memory card to come in, and I have been sticking to it a lot, mostly because of how much of a mental hurdle it is to download my entire library all over again.

I blame the Switch system update for the memory card, because it was working fine up until that point, but I'm the one who bricked the memory card completely. My best guess as to what happened was that the system save files, which tells the Switch where all the game data is stored, got corrupted somehow, but my multiple re-formats and re-downloading the 100+ GB of game data probably melted the card, because it's kaput.

I have played some other games lately, though: Untitled Goose Game, in which you play a goose (always a good thing), and LOVE, a retro-looking indie arcade platformer that was on sale for $0.49. LOVE was (I think) the developer's first game before KUSO, and I've heard people say KUSO is a pretty good game, so I decided to take a shot at it. At worst, I'm only out 50 cents. I'm not sure I like it yet, but it hasn't been horrible; mostly too sensitive.

TPmanW wrote:
I rather enjoyed Erfworld but got lost in the site's awkward navigation- pingponging between written chapters and comics only to realize that no, this wasn't a flashback, I was now reading a fully separate side story, and how do I get back please?

I don't know about awkward navigation; starting with the epilogue of book (chapter?) 1, the story comes in both comic pages and text updates (sometimes with art, sometimes not), which if I'm honest, isn't something I enjoy. When I'm reading comics, it's because I have reasons for reading comics instead books, you know?

Or maybe it's something they cleaned up over time? I don't know, I never ended up off-track while reading chapter (book?) 1, but it feels like it's taken me forever to read through the 28 pages of prologue for book (chapter?) 2.

--------

Speaking of comics, I know I bought Hinges from comixology during a sale some time ago, but never found the time to sit down and read it. Well, I read it today and absolutely adore it.

The problem?

As I was about to go buy the rest of the three-volume story, I found out it was a webcomic. Which I can read for free. And probably support the author more by buying a physical book and not a digital copy from an Amazon-owned company.

Meanwhile, I am consistently working 10-hour days now and, coupled with the changing weather, it's leaving me with little energy to actually do anything. I've been putting off finishing Mary's backstory (that character concept I talked about like 2 months ago), as well as a big post about the generator project I had been working on (and the project itself) simply because I don't have the physical or mental energy for it. I dread what I'll feel like in a month or two's time, when work will be even busier and I'll not be seeing the sun.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:12 pm 

If I remember correctly, the author of Erfworld considers it to be a novel with illustrations and comic pages that is being written in real time in exchange for Patreon funding. It's definitely right up there with Sandra & Woo for the quality of references and work they've managed to get away with over time.

----------------------

10 hour days are pretty bad even when you only work a 4:10 instead of a 5:8. Working a 5:10 or heaven forbid a 7:10 is the stuff of nightmares. And if the 10 hour days aren't even busy.......... well there's a reason people go insane from overwork.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:16 pm 

I really enjoyed Erfworld back in the first major arc, but the weird schedule and constantly changing format turned me off. I wanted to read it as a webcomic (reasons similar to Luna) but that's not what it became. Haven't tried to go at it again in a long time.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:10 pm 

I just had a tremendously sh*tty day at work, and a virtual 100% guarantee that tomorrow will be approximately as bad. I love my job, but, to quote HS Orida, Urza tap-dancing Planeswalker...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:46 pm 

Sorry to hear that, Raven! How it gets better soon!

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:49 pm 

If it makes you feel better to have company in misery, I can't get my coworkers to stop talking about politics. The bad kind of politics I don't want to talk about and/or hear someone talk about non-stop, not the Jim Sterling kind where we all say bad things about Electronic Arts.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:32 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

This got me thinking of Raiker Venn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBJlVlugZYc&t=0s

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:55 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Just ended my work week after the following:
-my phone dying for good (with slim chance to recover any data) without warning;
-incident on work (nothing serious, but it got really scary)
-got less than 4 hours of sleep because I needed to set up the back-up phone I'm using now;
-my work bike breaking at the start of the morning;
-using my own bike with a heavy bag made my Judas muscle act up, making the whole morning additionally miserable.

I'm gonna collapse on my sofa soon, maybe I'll check on Raven's last story and generally be around after I wake up.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:52 am 

TPmanW wrote:

Definitely get where you got that :D

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:22 pm 

-my phone dying for good (with slim chance to recover any data) without warning;
-got less than 4 hours of sleep because I needed to set up the back-up phone I'm using now;
-using my own bike with a heavy bag made my Judas muscle act up, making the whole morning additionally miserable.

I'm gonna collapse on my sofa soon, maybe I'll check on Raven's last story and generally be around after I wake up.

My day was approximately as miserable as I thought it would be, but yours certainly has mine beat. I'm sorry to hear that, and I hope things turn around for you soon!

TPmanW wrote:

I don't think I would have thought of Raiker myself, but with you pointing it out, I can certainly see it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:13 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

TPmanW wrote:

I don't think I would have thought of Raiker myself, but with you pointing it out, I can certainly see it.

It's not exactly a perfect fit, but they do share a few key tendencies.

Man, everyone around here's having it rough lately, aren't they?

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:50 am 

My day was approximately as miserable as I thought it would be, but yours certainly has mine beat.

To be clear, those things happened over the course of the work week: Tuesday went the phone, Wednesday the incident, Thursday (night) the back-up phone shenanigans, and finally yesterday the bike. And without me saying "it can't get worse than that" even once, I'd like to point out.

But yeah, I plan on going out of town for an event where dozens and dozens of stands from all around the world (mostly Europe, but there are big sections dedicated to South America and Asia too) sell all kinds of food and drinks, with all intentions of stuffing myself stupid with delicious things. Wish me luck! :D

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:57 am 

TPmanW wrote:

It's not exactly a perfect fit, but they do share a few key tendencies.

Man, everyone around here's having it rough lately, aren't they?

It does seem like things aren't really working out for a out of us.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:35 pm 

Identity: Human
TPmanW wrote:

Having now read through book 2 and have moved onto book 3, I now understand fully what you mean. It seems like it was mostly a problem with book 2 as book 3 has been (so far) easy to follow along with even if it is kind of oddly paced.

So, to fully explain it to those who haven't read Erfworld, book 2 (titled: Love is a Battlefield) intersperses the first 80 or so comic pages with 50 or so small text-based side-stories, fully on purpose and in-between the comic pages (i.e. comic pg 1 will lead to text pg 1, which then leads to comic pg2). This might not have been an issue if the author knew what he was doing with the pacing, but the problem becomes that, as TPMan said, they are all completely superfluous side-stories which could all be removed and not leave anything out that the reader needed to know to enjoy the comic portion of the story. The worst was when two comic pages directly followed each other (like, not even a jump-cut with implied time to walk from point A to point B), but in-between there was a page-long mini-story about Sgt. Pepper and the Lonely Hearts Club Band,* whom you'll never hear about again.

My guess is that by book 3, the author had more of a grasp on what they were actually trying to do, and now the action from comic to text-story and back directly follows each other, even when the text pages are merely an excuse for an exposition dump as we're given a page from the main character's notes on how fire works in this strange world, right before the city which their side is sieging is set on fire. The point is, it actually works from this point forward.

And again, I don't want to downplay that there is some great moments and excellent character set-up in those text updates. For instance, one commander-character who becomes the center of the action during the climax of book 2 was introduced in one of those text side-stories, and subsequently her character added to via several others over the course of the book, making her quite the compelling character by the end of the climax. Another great example would be this quote from a text side-story which happened as the King and his son were walking from point A to point B:
Quote:
"I have every confidence in you, my son," he said, with great gravity. "I'm certain you will make the kingdom proud again."

The Prince said nothing, but his face slowly split in a broad grin. He looked as if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulder. There might even have been a tear forming in the corner of his eye, as he squared his shoulders and looked at the grand archway ahead of them. He looked ready to face anything now.

Such was the worth of the king's currency, and Slately spent his lies well.

That is some powerful prose, and I don't want to downplay that. It's just that, you could remove this entirely and the comic pages which remained would still stand just as strong on their own. There's a lot of great character moments in the text stories of book 2, they are just completely irrelevant to the plot.

*side note: while I have not yet seen any character or group that uses this name either directly or by referential wordplay, the nature of Erfworld is that most every character is, in some way, a pop culture reference -- such as King Saline IV -- so it could be possible for Sgt. Pepper to exist in Erfworld.

mjack33 wrote:
If I remember correctly, the author of Erfworld considers it to be a novel with illustrations and comic pages that is being written in real time in exchange for Patreon funding. It's definitely right up there with Sandra & Woo for the quality of references and work they've managed to get away with over time.

----------------------

10 hour days are pretty bad even when you only work a 4:10 instead of a 5:8. Working a 5:10 or heaven forbid a 7:10 is the stuff of nightmares. And if the 10 hour days aren't even busy.......... well there's a reason people go insane from overwork.

I usually work between 44 and 48 hours a week. I would go into more detail, but to be honest, whenever I write it out, I feel like I'm complaining too much in a first-world-problems kind of way. I don't really hate my job (I have such good rapport with the doctors that one in particular doesn't want anyone other than me doing X-rays for him; I have a feeling that if he left to do private practice he might try to take me along), it just leaves me tired.

It doesn't help that I have... I'm going to say "needy" friends, or at least one needy friend in particular, who needs people time to recharge and works at Wal-Mart, so he's always having a bad time at work, so I always feel obligated to take the one day a week our schedules line up to hang out, even though we live like an hour apart now. For the sake of being crystal clear, I need alone time to recharge, so I've let my own concerns go by for his sake, especially because of how deep in his head he gets when he's not been able to relax.

--------

So, while it appears that the button to cancel my Funimation subscription physically doesn't work (I've disabled payments via Paypal already, though), it does mean I've got another few weeks left on my subscription, so I decided to rewatch Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.

The only thing I think it's worth me saying about it is that I was reminded about our recent talk about art style over quality/consistency when we were talking about Madoka. I can't help but notice how much... non-animation goes into most every shot, from the simple re-used animations to only animating the character's mouths to parallax motion to invoke the idea of motion without actually doing anything with the characters (I mean, most of P&SwG looks like it was done in Flash), but even outside the animé sections, there are some really amazing animation work at certain points. Like, at one point the camera flies wildly around their house, and the animation is gorgeous, and at another point an entire episode looks like it was an ABe anime, with the titular characters only showing up at the end. Meanwhile, the dog-thing was humping the air via 2 frames of animation in the background.

In short, I love the style.

-------

I think I made a mistake, which is why I haven't been on in a while. I bought Slay the Spire for the Switch while it was on sale, and it is such a perfect cross-section of my interests that I've become sucked into it completely and have even stayed up way too late because I can't stop playing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:35 pm 

I have a question for Tevish:

I was looking through the Archives, and I saw that Aria's dossier has a short story in it called "Mistaken." Do you consider this story to be a part of her dossier, or would you consider it a stand-alone short story?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:28 pm 

I think I would consider it a stand-alone that originally presented as her introduction

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:53 pm 

I think I would consider it a stand-alone that originally presented as her introduction

Okay, cool. I was just wondering, since I had forgotten that was a thing.

Thanks!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:35 am 

I really wish we had the time and attention to do another anthology considering all the material to work with in Eldraine.

Also hello everyone, sorry I've been quiet, but it's been a stressful few weeks.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400 ... 419  Next