It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358 ... 366  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:40 pm 

@Aaarrrgh: That's good. And welcome to the States! Pity we can't meet up, but owing to the laws of probability, we are probably hundreds and hundreds of miles apart even now!

@Barinellos: Glad to hear you got a new cat. I hope it works out well for everyone involved.

I leave for a few days of family stuff tomorrow. In all likelihood, you won't notice much of a difference, as I will likely still be online at least occasionally, but just in case, I hope everyone has a good few days!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:36 am 

Identity: Male
Anybody here watch RWBY? I've got some speculation I want to drop on somebody.
Immediate Spoilers, Intense Speculation, Intermediate Shipping

I'm actually pretty confident in all that. Maybe 50% is actually going to happen. Naysayers can fight me.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:23 am 

@Aaarrrgh: That's good. And welcome to the States! Pity we can't meet up, but owing to the laws of probability, we are probably hundreds and hundreds of miles apart even now!

Most likely. I am in Ogden, Utah. I presume none of you are anywhere nearby?

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:21 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:

Most likely. I am in Ogden, Utah. I presume none of you are anywhere nearby?

Sadly, no. Although I did recently read a poem by Ogden Nash, if that counts.

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:20 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
I am in Ogden, Utah. I presume none of you are anywhere nearby?

Orem; within a hundred miles, at least, but far enough to require a deliberate plan. How long are you here?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:12 pm 

To quote my favorite line, from Nephew Fred:

Quote:
There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I have not profited, I dare say. Christmas among the rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time: a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time: the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!

Merry Christmas, M:EM. Here's wishing you peace and love on this day, and every day.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:43 pm 

Brentain wrote:
Aaarrrgh wrote:
I am in Ogden, Utah. I presume none of you are anywhere nearby?

Orem; within a hundred miles, at least, but far enough to require a deliberate plan. How long are you here?

Huh, that is closer than I expected anyone to be. I'm leaving Jan 10th, but with twin toddlers and no transport plans are hard to make. If you could come up here I'm sure we could work something out, but I can't plan on going far.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:56 pm 

Identity: Human
Happy holidays, everybody!

Hope you all have a wonderful time and don't freeze out there!

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:17 am 

Thanks for the Christmas card, OrcishLibrarian! It was a very welcome surprise. :)

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:09 am 

Whoa, like a physical Xmas card? Sent internationally?
I don;t think I even know anybody who's sent or received a greeting card under those circumstances.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:06 pm 

Thanks for the Christmas card, OrcishLibrarian! It was a very welcome surprise. :)

Oh, wow, I'm just happy that you got it! I had no idea if that address was still good or not, but I figured, hey, for the price of a stamp, I'll take a flier on it. Pleased that it actually made its way to you! :D

TPmanW wrote:
Whoa, like a physical Xmas card? Sent internationally?
I don;t think I even know anybody who's sent or received a greeting card under those circumstances.

The U.S. Postal Service is not without its faults, but the international forever stamp is actually a pretty cool thing! You can send a letter-sized piece of mail anywhere in the world with an international stamp.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:38 pm 

I feel kind of bad now not sending a gift or card to CKY. Without meaning any disrespect, I feel I haven't had enough meaningful interaction with CKY to go far enough as to offer a gift.

--------

I wanted to share a little experience I had today. A friend of mine in the meat gave me quite a scare. Normally, this person is very happy-go-lucky -- like, abnormally so. He shared this music video with us (there were three of us together at his place) today which he told us "resonated really deeply with him" and "expresses a lot of the same thoughts he has whenever he's alone". For anyone particularly curious, I'll link the video at the end of the post.

The song for this music video is very, very obviously about suicide. At first, I had no idea what to do or say, but before he even asked us our opinions, started opening up about what it means to him, so I took what chance I could to do what I thought could help. I kept him talking. I all but entirely shut up and let him talk for over an hour, about his thoughts, his upbringing, whatever was relevant for him to talk about. According to him, he says he doesn't see suicide as a possibility because of his opinions on suicide (more or less, it's for cowards), but he admitted that he apparently does have self-deprecating thoughts in line with depression, and that he hadn't considered before that point that perhaps he does have some small measure of depression. Knowing what I do of depression (admittedly not much), I hope that giving him the time to talk was a good help, because I know for a fact that he doesn't have enough money to afford seeing a psychiatrist. I'm not sure I even have enough to afford a psychiatrist, and I'm in the medical field.

Luckily enough, in the conversation it came up that he actually does have a support group of sorts, people that he's known for years and who have both been there for him to talk to during tough times and who he's talked through tough times. That's something else that had worried me, because while we've known each other several years now, because our schedules only line up once a week on average, we haven't gotten so close as to rely on each other like that.

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:39 pm 

I'd also like to do a short PSA/signal boost for the recent tragedy involving an innocent man. For those unaware, it finally happened: an innocent man was killed in a swatting incident because of some teenage wastes of human flesh playing Call of Duty. His family have a GoFundMe campaign for the unexpected funeral charge. You can donate here if you feel you can. I only discovered it last night and had to donate immediately.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:21 am 

Don't worry about sending me gifts, they aren't necessary or anything. I'm just happy to be here. (For a given definition of "being here," anyway. I swear I'm still working on TWoaS and Red Jackie's Run.)

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:02 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Red Jackie's Run

oh yeah I should get back to that too shouldn't I

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:17 am 

No pressure. It's not going to happen until I finish The Weight of the Soul, and you can see how well that's turning out. Someday... someday, eh?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:58 pm 

No pressure. It's not going to happen until I finish The Weight of the Soul, and you can see how well that's turning out. Someday... someday, eh?

If I'd had to stake my life on hitting game dev schedule milestones, I'd've been dead so many times over by now, I'd have my own darn cemetery. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:22 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
emotional ramblings

Tl;dr: It's been a rough year. I'm glad I found this place, and very grateful for your company. Thank you all.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:30 pm 

emotional ramblings

Tl;dr: It's been a rough year. I'm glad I found this place, and very grateful for your company. Thank you all.

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:16 pm 

What Raven said. I'm sure nobody will object if you wanted to talk about things a bit more, or if you need to vent in general. We're here for you.

--------

For a bit of positive news, the studio that helped bring the video game Axiom Verge to consoles is donating 75% of their game sales to the developer's child's continued medical costs.

For those unaware, the singular developer of Axiom Verge has a son which suffers from severe neurological deficiencies, which were caused by newborn Jaundice. The studio which helped bring the game to consoles didn't even make this information public, they just decided to do it. They're every bit as honorable as Warner Brothers are unscrupulous.

It's nice to have a bit of good news in video games after this last year, and especially after the news I mentioned in my last post.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358 ... 366  Next