It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357 ... 366  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:56 am 

Identity: Human
:rain:

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:19 am 

Something the matter?

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:13 pm 

General winter malaise, coupled with busy days at work, topped by the worst news in internet history.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:38 pm 

That's unfortunate... I wish I could offer more solace at this hour.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:58 pm 

Hey, friends.

Unfortunately, Mrs. OL and I had a death in the family. We're both fine, but I'm still kind of processing, and I may be a little bit quiet for the next couple days. In the meantime, please remember how wonderful you all are, and remember to tell the people you love that you love them.

On that note, I love you guys. So please be well. <3

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:05 pm 

@Orcish: I am very sorry to hear that. I am never sure what to say at moments like these, but know that we love you, too! Be well.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:40 pm 

@OL: my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It is never easy to process the empty space where a person should be, no matter what your relationship to that person was.

As for my own life, I am in a different kind of turmoil. We are currently packing to move out of our apartment we've been living in since September. We've only been living here part time, because we have still been touring with the theater group I have been with since before I was in this community. And that is the other part of my turmoil. As of today, I am no longer a touring actor. The wife and I have decided that we (and the kids) need to find a more stable lifestyle, so we are changing careers. We will move back to my parents for a while so we can figure some stuff out, and then I am hoping to start university next fall. So that is terrifying.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:49 pm 

@Aaarrrgh: I'm sorry to hear that, too. I know acting has been a passion for you, and it's always hard to transition from that into something new, even for the good of those you love. I hope everything goes well for you and yours!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:22 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Ouch... I wish the best to you all.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:01 pm 

My grandfather passed in the early summer, and I guess I'm still sort of processing. Not unexpectedly; he had been dealing with cancer for over a year, and had called everyone to his bedside during the week before. But now Grandma isn't eating as much, and that will probably be harder to deal with. Perhaps on some level I've been getting into painting as a way of reconnecting with her.

Meanwhile, I just got to use a fire extinguisher for the first time. Because my kids decided that an empty lot full of dry grass was the perfect place to play with a lighter. :face:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:50 am 

Identity: Male
Sad news from all around. I you all find some solace over the holidays.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:24 am 

Brentain wrote:
My grandfather passed in the early summer, and I guess I'm still sort of processing. Not unexpectedly; he had been dealing with cancer for over a year, and had called everyone to his bedside during the week before. But now Grandma isn't eating as much, and that will probably be harder to deal with. Perhaps on some level I've been getting into painting as a way of reconnecting with her.

I'm really sorry to hear that. It was hard when I lost my grandmother a while back, so I hope that the process is as easy as it can be, and that you and those you love are able to find solace in the best of memories, and in one another.

Brentain wrote:
Meanwhile, I just got to use a fire extinguisher for the first time. Because my kids decided that an empty lot full of dry grass was the perfect place to play with a lighter. :face:

Wow. The joys of parenthood, huh?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:14 am 

It's been nearly two years to the day since my grandmother passed. My family treated me very oddly at the funeral since I didn't really mourn, but that's because I'd already begun to years before she went. That was really just an anecdote rather than anything more.

I'm sorry for your loss Orc.

And Aaarrrgh, change is bad. Bad like fire.
But you have to do what's best, so I wish you good fortunes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:25 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
TPmanW wrote:
Sad news from all around. I you all find some solace over the holidays.

Second that.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:05 pm 

My grandmother passed away the day before my birthday seven years ago now. I was actually kind of hit again by that because I came across a small old address book that I was going to use,* but noticed it had some writing on the first few pages and decided to read them to see how important they might be. She had kept it as a diary of sorts, not writing much in it, but there was a very clear progression. On the first page, dated 2008, and while light on details was written in clear sentences, though in kind of halting and shaky penmanship. On the second page, dated 2009, the grammar falls away and the handwriting becomes much less steady. On the third page, dated 2010, reads like a five-year old's writings, with a very poor drawing of a hand (because she had fallen and cut her palm), and only fills half the page. The next page is my mother's handwriting, noting the date November 20th, 2010, as the day my grandmother, her mother, passed away and who all she called, and who called her back.

Anyway, that was a depressing trip down memory lane and I hope everyone else can keep in high spirits. I'm definitely sending my best wishes to everyone and, as presents from others are starting to arrive to me, I want to remind you all that I love you.

*I'm playing D&D as a PC now and in preparing a second character should things go south (though honestly I am really just enjoying the act of creating characters; it scratches much the same itch that deckbuilding always did with Magic), I wanted a physical spellbook prop to use while I played the character and wanted something to write in. I changed books after the above but now have plans to do something like this to it to make it look like a proper grimoire. Incidentally, the character build in question is a Miqo'te Summoner. I found a site with 3.5e homebrew for Final Fantasy races, but went with the base Pathfinder Summoner class because I didn't want to deal with the homebrew adding in Limit Breaks and stuff. I almost considered making an Au Ra Dragoon, but that would literally steal the thunder of my friend who actually plays FF14, and half the reason I came up with the Miqo'te Summoner angle was to mess with him a bit.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:32 pm 

Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words. <3

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:35 am 

Hey guys, sorry I've been less present the past few days, but I just got leveled by pneumonia.
I'm feeling basically better, even if I'm not tip top yet.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:56 pm 

Identity: Male
I can relate. I wouldn't say I was "levelled" but cold season has really cut into my cognizant time.

I think I found a good way to tack my mental state. I used to find the song Kodachrome horribly depressing, but now I can listen to Soldier IN the Rain without feeling bad, and even The Mountain Goats' No Children of all things just has me thinking, "that's some slick lyric'n".
I am drowning
there is no sign of land
you are coming down with me
hand in unlovable hand.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:07 pm 

I don't mind change, I am actually kinda excited to move on to the next phase of life. I am actually in the States right now, visiting the in-laws, and I don't have internet all the time here. But at least they finally get to see their grandkids!

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:47 pm 

we just got a new kitty.
4 month old manx.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357 ... 366  Next