It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318 ... 420  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:43 am 

Laptop Troubleshooting

Step 1) Reboot it
Step 2) Slap it a little -- light taps in the location the problem seems to come from
Step 3) Beseech the Father of Machines for intercession
Repeat steps as necessary.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:21 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Oh, God, no, now the replacement laptop is making scary noises.

:paranoid:

Well you shouldn't have bought it from an electronics store built on an Indian burial ground.

It's worse than that. This one is borrowed from Mrs. OL!

If I turn up dead in the next week, you'll all know why.

Laptop Troubleshooting

Step 1) Reboot it
Step 2) Slap it a little -- light taps in the location the problem seems to come from
Step 3) Beseech the Father of Machines for intercession
Repeat steps as necessary.

I have tried Fonzing it -- no luck yet, sadly.

I love the colors on that piece. It inspired me to go back and read The World at Dawn, which I somehow missed the first time, and it is sweet and touching in a way I could never have expected. Wonderful stuff, Tevish.

Edit:

Attachment:
TheWorldAtDawn.jpg

CKY, is it ever hard being so awesome and multi-talented? :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:51 pm 

Edit:

Attachment:
TheWorldAtDawn.jpg

CKY, this is brilliant. I'm somewhat humbled that I managed to inspire an artistic creation like that.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:52 pm 

Identity: Human
So, lately I've discovered that scambaiting is a thing people do and through watching a number of videos talking about the various things people have done to scammers, I found a site called textfiles.com, which is basically a huge (and I'm talking terabytes here) repository of mostly early computer things, mostly between 1980-1995 (though there's some stuff both older and newer and it even has extension sites for other materials such as old magazines).

I bring this up because I found this "geek code" in the top 100 list and found it interesting yet somewhat inapplicable. I myself draw a line between geeks and nerds, and I had the thought that maybe someone would be interested in making a similar nerd code that was a better guideline and perhaps included more modern things? I'm not sure where I would start myself, other than just going through that list piece by piece and adding/removing codings as necessary.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:05 pm 

So, lately I've discovered that scambaiting is a thing people do and through watching a number of videos talking about the various things people have done to scammers, I found a site called textfiles.com, which is basically a huge (and I'm talking terabytes here) repository of mostly early computer things, mostly between 1980-1995 (though there's some stuff both older and newer and it even has extension sites for other materials such as old magazines).

I bring this up because I found this "geek code" in the top 100 list and found it interesting yet somewhat inapplicable. I myself draw a line between geeks and nerds, and I had the thought that maybe someone would be interested in making a similar nerd code that was a better guideline and perhaps included more modern things? I'm not sure where I would start myself, other than just going through that list piece by piece and adding/removing codings as necessary.

I would imagine that a more modern one exists somewhere and in some capacity, though I do not personally know of it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:25 pm 

TPmanW wrote:
Oh! How could everybody forget THE feelgood comic? Calvin and Hobbes.

Where would I find that, anyway? There's a few sunday funnies that I know exist online and I'd like to track down but don't know how I would (I know I looked for one or two before and had no results).

I'm not sure about finding specific ones, but the archive seems to be online now: http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1985/11/18

I went through a geek code once, but I seem to recall it being more extensive, and probably haven't managed to keep a copy of the results. Granted, I'm not sure it's even possible to list all the things people get obsessed about, particularly once you venture out of the tech-related sectors. I've recently been introduced to the idea of a goth geek, for example.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:11 pm 

Identity: Human
Brentain wrote:
http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1985/11/18

My thanks!

That Venn diagram is also really interesting, but I don't fully agree with it. I see dweeb as a derogatory term rather than a category, and I see dork almost where dweeb is placed except that "dork" usually implies certain physical inequities, such as glasses, asthma, klutziness, etc. For me, a geek is knowledgeable on some subject, usually incredibly knowledgeable and skilled in that field, regardless of whether they are particularly "obsessed" with the topic or not; a nerd for me is simply defined by their obsession, regardless of overall intelligence or social aptitude, and thus has many categories (e.g. sports nerd).

The short version of the above:
  • Geek: knowledgeable, often skilled
  • Nerd: obsessed, often knowledgeable
  • Dork: intelligent, often physically disadvantaged

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:02 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
Oh, God, no, now the replacement laptop is making scary noises.

Have you tried squirting it with water when it does that?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:40 pm 

Identity: human
Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Considering the idea of demons, the best way they could stifle a creative brain is to read it, projecting their conception in a n telepathic jucture, to confuse the moment of conception.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:54 am 

I'm somewhat frustrated in getting the outline for my next story set up.
Or more accurately, I'm frustrated trying to figure out how the hell to tell it in the first place.
For the most part, nothing happens. That is to say, everything had already happened.

It's vexing me.

Beyond that, I'm going to try something slightly different (well, two somethings to be honest)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:41 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Barinellos wrote:
Or more accurately, I'm frustrated trying to figure out how the hell to tell it in the first place.
For the most part, nothing happens. That is to say, everything had already happened.

Exploration pieces can be pretty good for that. Failing that, you can make something else happen in a way that highlights what's already happened. Just brainstorming.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:51 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
Barinellos wrote:

Exploration pieces can be pretty good for that. Failing that, you can make something else happen in a way that highlights what's already happened. Just brainstorming.

Just throw in a laser dinosaur and roll with where the plot goes. Your first instinct will be to resist the change, but just flow with it. Have everyone in the story react realistically. Give the dinosaur sunglasses and a catch phrase. When it sinks in and you laugh for the first time, you'll come up with an idea of how the story should have gone- ignore it. You're writing a laser dino story now.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:03 am 

TPmanW wrote:
Barinellos wrote:

Just throw in a laser dinosaur and roll with where the plot goes. Your first instinct will be to resist the change, but just flow with it. Have everyone in the story react realistically. Give the dinosaur sunglasses and a catch phrase. When it sinks in and you laugh for the first time, you'll come up with an idea of how the story should have gone- ignore it. You're writing a laser dino story now.

poor laser dino...
he never heard the mimeoplasm coming.

As an update, I'd planned to do the story travel log style, but the framing device would have only lasted 3 chapters and clashed mildly with the set up, so I'm just having to do it first person, which is always somewhat arduous.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:51 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
I might be learning on my mental skin that I can't keep writing stories chronologically.

I tend to mull over scenes until I have clear idea of what's gonna happen, the key images and turn of phrases I want to put in it, basically a full mental movie with linguistic notes attached to it; sometimes I struggle in the adaptation from movie to words because obviously in action-heavy scenes there can be so many things going on at the same time and you can only describe one thing at a time; unfortunately, most of our brains aren't wired to process branched or parallel narration... but I digress.

The problem arises when I'm writing a story, toying with its scenes and how to relay information, and I figure out I have to add a mid-section chapter. Part of my brain tries to tackle both the new and the "old" scenes at once, but another part nags at it saying that the chronological order has priority, so it's better to focus on the "new" chapter, for which the ideas are few and embryo-like; the first replies that the final showdown has a lot of options and it's being viewed as an unsolved problem of logistics so it can't let that section go. Then the two parts start having bad words at each other and the result is that everything's a mess, in my skull office appliances are thrown back and forth and dogs start barking because they want to be part of the commotion and everyone is watching the disaster unfold from a safe distance.

So maybe it's better to skip a section and return to it later, with the risk of having to tweak some details of the ending, than being stuck with two parts of your brain yelling insults at each other. A pretty basic advice, I'm sure, but I pick up stuff backwards sometimes.

...oh, um, yeah, rant's over, thank you for your patience :blush:

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:24 pm 

I have a similar problem. I've taking to making "Notes" files in which I'll keep the larval forms of stories yet to come -- lines or images that I know I want to use when I get there. Sometimes, my progress towards those notes orphans them, causing them to be lost forever to the timeline as we know it, most often it gets brought in, but with major revisions so it actually fits, the core ideas translated over but the exact verbage of the first pass gone. other times I get there and I know exactly where it slots in. Generally I can dispatch the particularly nagging bits without too much trouble, and continue on the chronologically next bit that I'm telling. Other times, when it's not what I'd like to write but what I have ideas for and I could honestly promote it to 'next', that happens and the main project gets slapped with a hiatus. That's happened a lot: The Viveka stories thusfar were both "interruptions" to a Larasa and Morgan story I'm still working on (and finally making good progress on). This can happen inside longer works too. (Also related: Cold Iron was written in strict chronological order. As in all the flashbacks were written first)

I also tend to get kinda self-conscious about this sort of thing.

Last edited by Tevish Szat on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm 

I have the opposite problem. I have a very hard time not writing stories from beginning to middle to end. I sort of have to get them out in that order, or I can't quite grapple with them. The only way I really ever know what's coming next is by seeing what just happened.

I'm like the world's worst director, who can only shoot in-sequence. :blush:

To the best of my recollection, the only two stories I ever wrote not in beginning-middle-end order were "Stare Down the Basilisk" and my sections of "Rest for the Wicked."

In "Stare Down," I skipped past the actual raid on Little Forks, because I was having a hard time describing how The Machine worked, whereas Jackie's final scene with the defeated iron barons was very vibrant in my head. So I went ahead and wrote the finale while the proverbial iron was hot, then doubled-back to write the action at Little Forks.

In "Rest for the Wicked," I wrote the epilogue first, because I knew that Jackie and Trotter were going to go through Seven Hells, and I sort of needed to see them holding each other after all was said and done to give myself the steel to drag them through all that misery to get there.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:22 pm 

I write most of my stories backwords (that's no typo. You read it correctly.) I start with the last word, and work my way back to the first word of the story. I just want to make it a little more challenging, you know?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:58 pm 

I write most of my stories backwords (that's no typo. You read it correctly.) I start with the last word, and work my way back to the first word of the story. I just want to make it a little more challenging, you know?

Know I, yes. :)

Actually, I'm just now remembering that I think we jumped around a bit on "Mistakes of the Past," too, didn't we, Raven? I don't think that one was done in-sequence, either.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:10 pm 

Actually, I'm just now remembering that I think we jumped around a bit on "Mistakes of the Past," too, didn't we, Raven? I don't think that one was done in-sequence, either.

I know we jumped around some, I just don't remember to what degree. I know we had the entirety of the Saloon scene written before the flashback to the "Post Office," because I accidently referenced something in the first scene that the readers wouldn't have known yet and had to rework it a bit. I seem to recall you writing the scene with Jackie and Jane before the scene with the sawbones, but I'd have to check the message log. I do know that the last scene of the story was the last one written, and I believe the first was the first, but for the middle scenes, I do not remember off-hand.

Of course, we had that thing plotted out almost to the scene before we actually started writing, so it's hard to remember. Heck, it's hard enough for me to remember who wrote what, especially near the end where we didn't break at the end of a section.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:03 am 

Identity: human
Preferred Pronoun Set: he
" Go to ' the talk thread'!"

I typed in nogoblinsallowed.com, and ' quit smoking.com showed up'...

So, what is it about a women that makes her forget that men dangle in the toilet to poop?

My girlfriend insists that it's better for men to sit when they piss, because its better for the prostate.
I was OK with this, obliging her, thinking perhaps that she genuinely cared about my sphincter, until one of the bowled events of lifting the seat to piss standing up revealed poop splatters on the bottom of it.

I feel it's a power struggle in many ways.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318 ... 420  Next