It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:19 pm 

Personnel File: Burkes; Clan Vinchezos

Height: 6’8”
Weight: 424 lbs
Race: Minotaur
Origin: The Great City, Nuwar

Background: A third generation Enforcer, Burkes has been on the force for over a decade and has one of the highest case turnover rates in the precinct. However, while he has demonstrated tremendous tenacity, it is often paired with a disregard for official protocol. This is a trait born from a deep commitment to what is right, rather than any sign of disregard of it. He, in fact, has demonstrated a very prominent and absolute contempt for those that break the Ordinances, none more so than for the members of the Enforcers who break their sworn oaths to uphold the laws.

His fervor to see justice done is so strong that when it became evident that his father was connected to a corruption scandal, he turned over the evidence that led to the arrest writ being issued for him. However, his father had seemingly left the city beforehand, casting some doubt as to Burkes’s objectivity in the matter, and speculation that he let his father go before submitting the evidence.
As noted above, Burkes has both a fierce passion for what is right, as well as a disregard for protocol. This has led to several suspensions due to brutality, whether as a form of vigilante retribution outside the call of his duty or lack of care in interrogation. As a consequence of his many disciplinary problems, he has had long stretches of desk duty which has led to something of a weight problem, a thing he has become at least somewhat known for. Despite his size, he is still an extremely adept combatant, due in no small part to his massive size and strength. Additionally, despite his bulk, he is shockingly quick in short bursts and has earned a reputation on the streets for being someone not to cross.

Comments: However uncouth he may be, he has a long history of excellent results, which is possibly the only reason he hasn’t been dishonorably dismissed yet. It has, however, made him many enemies. While Captain Nallry holds him in fair regard, many others in the precinct and even higher have problems with not only his methods, but his ethics as well. He has compiled personal files on many prominent figures in both the Enforcers and Senate, an open secret that keeps many of his enemies from acting against him, though it makes them equally eager to see him dead.

With his father missing, his brother dead in the line of duty, and his mother dead of illness, Burkes is the last of his family. As a consequence, he is often shown to be a loner, but he’s found a surrogate family in his partner and her children, though he has a rather cool relationship with her ex-husband.

Despite the gruff and cynical demeanor, Burkes is a man that cares very deeply and hides it behind his tough façade. 

Personnel File: Millia Cea LeFon
Height: 5’1”
Weight: 104 lbs
Race: Siren
Origin: Outrigger Islands, Nuwar

Background: Millia is a highly decorated officer who rose prominently in the ranks early on, thanks in part to the strong logic she exhibits. Additionally, she demonstrated prodigious skill in sorcery as early as her primary education and had what seemed a promising career in thaumaturgical studies until she chose to attend the Enforcer Academy for her secondary education.

Earning top marks, she quickly distinguished herself in the applied magical fields, but never seemed to want to employ her skills, opting for more difficult tasks that her instructors and superiors thought she had less aptitude for. This has never tempered her intentions, only served to slow her progress in the ranks. Even with the assignments she chose to take on, she showed exceptional promise and earned a number of commendations. It also earned her a certain degree of enmity from her fellow Enforcers that couldn’t contain her jealousy. Her skills set her apart and ultimately isolated her, a fact that, despite what her skills and logic would suggest, she has never quite understood.

She eventually found her way into Internal Affairs, but her career seemingly stalled out. While her investigative prowess was extremely potent, she exhibited a certain idealism at odds with a job that required someone to be naturally suspicious. Her ambitions were further stunted as her attention to her career began to interfere with her personal life, which became further reflected in the results during her time in I.A.

When she was assigned to investigate Burkes for misconduct charges, it was really as a pawn to her superiors that were growing worried at what Burkes would find in their history. As she investigated Burkes, she learned much about him and gained an immense respect for him, opting to transfer to his partnership after concluding her investigation with inconclusive results.

Comments: Millia is divorced, the strain of maintaining her job ultimately causing the dissolution of her marriage. For several years, she was denied custody of her kids (2 girls, 1 boy) because of the issues she had with balancing her career and personal life. While she still does not have full custody, following her transfer, she has come to better terms with her ex-husband and they are friends once more, though Burkes still holds the custody battle against him and tensions are notable when they are around each other.

Of particular note in Millia’s skills, beyond her exemplary investigative logic, is her inborn talent as a Siren. She has become known as one of the best negotiators and interrogators because of her hypnotic abilities.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:58 pm 

Very cool. Thanks for writing these up. I always love when worlds like Nuwar get expanded on, and I can definitely see some adventures for Burkes and Millia in the future.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:56 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Awesome! I really liked the detail of Burke's attachment to Millia's kids; while the gruff, hard-boiled investigator/vigilante is a somewhat ubiquitous trope, that and the events regarding his father sow seeds for interesting reflections and/or plot hooks. Millia's trait of choosing assignments unsuited to her strong points is also intriguing. I'd surely love to hear more about them in the future :)

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:01 am 

Very cool. Thanks for writing these up. I always love when worlds like Nuwar get expanded on, and I can definitely see some adventures for Burkes and Millia in the future.

I like that this gives us a new angle to write stories with. Now, if we ever want, we have some characters to do a police procedural with!

And by all means, if you've ideas for them, I'd love to see them.

Awesome! I really liked the detail of Burke's attachment to Millia's kids; while the gruff, hard-boiled investigator/vigilante is a somewhat ubiquitous trope, that and the events regarding his father sow seeds for interesting reflections and/or plot hooks. Millia's trait of choosing assignments unsuited to her strong points is also intriguing. I'd surely love to hear more about them in the future :)

Yeah, we've seen the gruff veteran with a heart of gold, as well as the loose cannon, but I like to think it's rare when those overlap.
I also think his background adds a nice spoonful of pathos to the character that kinda gives us another side to his isolation. Equally so for Millia as well. I just like this thought of someone who has a talent but no passion because it would be easier for them.

I'm looking forward to seeing what we do with them as well!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:28 pm 

*makes a quiet note for future use...*

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:29 pm 

Barinellos, do you have a sense for how old Millia's kids are?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:52 am 

Her youngest is six, her oldest is ten.
I can't remember if I intended 2 kids or 3, but the middle will be between the other two so...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:23 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
I can't remember if I intended 2 kids or 3, but the middle will be between the other two so...

Okay, thanks.

And you do have three kids discussed here, two girls and a boy.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:34 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

Okay, thanks.

And you do have three kids discussed here, two girls and a boy.

The boy is the eldest of the three, in that case.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:36 pm 

Is her ex-husband a Siren, too, or of some other Nuwarian race?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:51 pm 

Is her ex-husband a Siren, too, or of some other Nuwarian race?

Also a siren, slightly younger than her, but not by much.

Like this post