It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Home is Where?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:48 pm 

How many planeswalkers, do you think, tend to make a permanent home or base on the plane to which they were born?

It occurred to me recently that very few of our planeswalkers, for instance, stay home. Taking mine as an example, I have about 16 planeswalkers who, for one reason or another, have left their home planes and put down stakes elsewhere, whereas I have only five that are either living on their home plane or seem to want to (Antony, Ethal, Kahr-ret-Taris, Nasperge, and Sundar Elarion).

To be fair, we're not entire sure about Sundar, as he seems to be travelling, and Nasperge has recently been kicked off of Thorneau for the time being. To be further fair, Dorn would probably live on his home plane if he knew how to get back there, and I have a few 'walkers, like Lady Nasina and Raiker Venn, for whom we do not know their home planes.

Regardless, this got me thinking about planeswalkers in general. In canon, we see a number of the "set 'walkers" just sticking around their home plane, mostly because Creative doesn't really know what to do with them, and the game demands planeswalker cards. But what do people think is more likely? Do you think that, typically, a new 'walker is more likely to "live" on their home plane, return to their home plane after a period of travel, or just leave and never come back?

Discuss.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Home is Where?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:24 am 

I haven't properly explored Erik Sylvaine's origins, but I'm pretty sure the plane where he lives with his family is not where he was born. But I think his birthplane went through some kind of apocalypse, and he's happily married with a kid, so I think that's justified.

Tey'von bounces back home regularly (probably less often while he is with Wanderer). But he does it only to report his findings, and then he goes off again. His goal is to come with all the answers and settle down, but it's unlikely that will ever happen. And I think he doesn't really want that anymore either. Most likely, if he ever found the answers he was looking for, he'd just head back out to tell everyone in the Multiverse.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:32 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Regardless, this got me thinking about planeswalkers in general. In canon, we see a number of the "set 'walkers" just sticking around their home plane, mostly because Creative doesn't really know what to do with them, and the game demands planeswalker cards. But what do people think is more likely? Do you think that, typically, a new 'walker is more likely to "live" on their home plane, return to their home plane after a period of travel, or just leave and never come back?

Discuss.

It depends on the personality of the 'walker, I guess. A cautious one would only explore the Eternities when in top shape and ready for anything, while more carefree ones might leave at a whim. And both of those imply an interest into traveling the Multiverse in the first place. While I agree on the Doylist explanation you offer, from a Watsonian perspective there doesn't seem to be a relation between character traits (especially travel-related) and the chances to have a Spark, so it's possible some people ascend and either think their trip to another plane was a dream/hallucination or they refuse to accept the existence of other planes against all evidence.

All in all, the question is: how many people would enter a mysterious portal with no clue about what exists on the other side? The Pre-Mending walkers had an easier choice, since the personal risk was much lower.

The answer for my characters:
-Sharaka... you'll have to wait and see. She'll have a complicated relationship with her home plane.
-Elphimas and Snipe/Jack (still thinking about his name) are hella old; Elphimas doesn't remember their home plane (it may have died in the millennia), while the other's home plane has been obliterated.
-Kalit wants to return to Thamirelk to get even with a couple of people. Then he's travel the plane to make sure there's no other "tyranny" in place, which would take a while since that plane is huge.
-Ungar is constantly spurred by the things in his head, he's almost always on the road; his return on Aralheim would be Bad News, unless... well, Ungar's not very lucid, he might miss the fact the plane has done a full cycle without him and not recognize it.
-Fayn and the Frosthearts are planebound, so that's not an issue

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:45 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
I haven't properly explored Erik Sylvaine's origins, but I'm pretty sure the plane where he lives with his family is not where he was born. But I think his birthplane went through some kind of apocalypse, and he's happily married with a kid, so I think that's justified.

I would be interested in reading about Erik's origins, and how he settled down. He's certainly a character that we haven't explored a lot so far in the M:EM.

Aaarrrgh wrote:
Tey'von bounces back home regularly (probably less often while he is with Wanderer). But he does it only to report his findings, and then he goes off again. His goal is to come with all the answers and settle down, but it's unlikely that will ever happen. And I think he doesn't really want that anymore either. Most likely, if he ever found the answers he was looking for, he'd just head back out to tell everyone in the Multiverse.

Yeah, considering Tey'von's faith is sort of based around going out and seeking, it makes sense that he wouldn't have that strong desire to stay at home.

It depends on the personality of the 'walker, I guess. A cautious one would only explore the Eternities when in top shape and ready for anything, while more carefree ones might leave at a whim. And both of those imply an interest into traveling the Multiverse in the first place. While I agree on the Doylist explanation you offer, from a Watsonian perspective there doesn't seem to be a relation between character traits (especially travel-related) and the chances to have a Spark, so it's possible some people ascend and either think their trip to another plane was a dream/hallucination or they refuse to accept the existence of other planes against all evidence.

All in all, the question is: how many people would enter a mysterious portal with no clue about what exists on the other side? The Pre-Mending walkers had an easier choice, since the personal risk was much lower.

Yeah, I think it definitely depends on the personality, as well as the specific circumstances of their lives. Kahr, for instance, wants to rebuild his homeland, and also has a personality that makes him enjoy being revered, so Skavlakor is a perfect fit for him.

There's also, probably, a bit of narrative potential skewing what we see. If planes and planeswalkers were real, I'm sure that a lot of them, after ascension, would not change their lives considerably. But that tends to not make as good a story. Even the planeswalkers we have who do choose to live at home do so for reasons that typically involve serious happenings on said home plane. We probably don't hear about those 'walkers who ascend, go right back to their plane, say "huh, that was weird," and go right back to work on Monday.

Thanks, everyone! Feel free to keep the conversation going!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:28 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I've only got two walkers of my own as of yet, but I imagine Vella occasionally returns to Olmregan, and while I haven't gotten very far into his arc yet because I can't actually write anything, it's my intention that Jestopher largely remain on Ossia once he returns, at least for the time being.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:04 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
There's also, probably, a bit of narrative potential skewing what we see. If planes and planeswalkers were real, I'm sure that a lot of them, after ascension, would not change their lives considerably. But that tends to not make as good a story. Even the planeswalkers we have who do choose to live at home do so for reasons that typically involve serious happenings on said home plane. We probably don't hear about those 'walkers who ascend, go right back to their plane, say "huh, that was weird," and go right back to work on Monday.

Though they may become quite the Reluctant Hero if they'd manage to meet another 'walker (either in their first walks or recognizing one after their return) which would return to ask them to join in an adventure, leveraging the character's sense of justice or just explaining that certain menaces are likely to end up in their plane. Maybe the first time the second walker saved their life, and calls in their favor? Dunno, but I'd like to read about a walker whose main motivation is "let me get back to my freaking routine, you planar nutjobs" :V

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post