It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:35 am 

Just a little seasonal silliness for you all, with apologies to O'Henry. :D

The Gift of the Guild-Magi

Last edited by OrcishLibrarian on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:46 pm 

A nice recontextualization of a classic tale. I like the way Ravnica is realized here; it feels very real. Jem was not as truly outrageous as I had originally assumed she would be...

Anyway, thanks for the Solstice carol. It's been a very long time since I've read the original.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:47 pm 

Thanks so much for reading, Raven! I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

A nice recontextualization of a classic tale. I like the way Ravnica is realized here; it feels very real.

Well, thank you!

The pun in the title was the impetus for the whole effort, because, once it occurred to me, I couldn't resist. But I was pleasantly surprised at how well it felt like the bones of the story then transposed onto Ravnica. Della feels unexpectedly plausible to me in this environment; she and her ironic misfortune seem to fit pretty neatly into the sort of Ravnican underclass.

The ending is the one bit I'm not super happy with; I felt like I couldn't quite get the story to land. The sort of coda at the end of the original story about the magi and their presents kept throwing me, for whatever reason -- I just couldn't figure out how to translate that into the MTG universe, and so, in the end, I basically punted, and came to a much more abrupt stop. I think it almost works, if you squint and don't ask too many questions, but I think the last part of the story doesn't read nearly as well as the first part, which is kind of a big problem for a piece which is primarily famous for its ending twist. But I had more fun with the beginning than the end, and it probably shows.

Jem was not as truly outrageous as I had originally assumed she would be...

Ugh... I *knew* that name was a bad name, for precisely this reason! :face: But I just couldn't come up with any other analog for "Jim" which I liked better, and I kind of just threw my hands up at the end.

"Della," for whatever reason, still felt OK to me, here, and I wanted to keep it. But "Jim" did not, and I failed to come up with a good substitute.

Anyway, thanks for the Solstice carol. It's been a very long time since I've read the original.

It had been a long time for me, too, and, going back and re-reading it, I was surprised at how much I loved some of the language. The opening paragraph, in particular, I think is just beautifully written, and so I lifted almost 80 percent of it, and used it to start the story here. The specificity of Della's one dollar and eighty-seven cents -- only that much, no matter how many times she counts it -- makes her feel immediately and powerfully real, and that's what makes the story work, just as much as the famous twist at the end. And then I also cribbed a line of Jim's for the ending, with a bit of a rewrite to give it to Della instead. It felt nice to bookend the story that way, with references to the original.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:27 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
read like the first half

wait it's that story, right?
watches and the hair thing
meh

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:12 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Quite a depressing read... good, sure, but still. I'm also afraid I missed the reference?

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:25 pm 

Thanks for reading, Huey! It is always appreciated!

I'm also afraid I missed the reference?

This reference probably doesn't travel well outside the U.S.; "The Gift of the Magi" is a famous(-ish) short story by O. Henry, an American writer (real name: William Sydney Porter) who -- fun fact! -- first started publishing under his most famous pseudonym while serving a five-year prison sentence for embezzlement.

Anyway, since "The Gift of the Magi" is short, and is in the public domain, here's the original text:

"The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry

Like this post