It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:48 pm 

Hello, All! In chapter one of his Knocking on Heaven's Door, Orcish wrote the following:

Scar shook her head and sighed. Tosser was the newest member of the band – he was younger than she’d been, even, back when she first started ridding – and he still held the inflated of ridders’ abilities that he’d internalized from campfire songs. He looked up to Scar – and to Sienna, the captain of their rid – as though they were gods, and regarded the both of them as the fastest centaurs in the Waste – which they were.

Now, this got me thinking about two semi-related facts. Fact the first is that we don't have an canon Jakkard folk songs about Ridders. We have a song about Rail-Runners, a song about homesteaders, a song about wine and ale, a song about Red Jackie, and a song about Ol' Smokey, but nothing about Ridders.

Fact the second is that it's been a very long time since I've written a Jakkard folk song!

So, putting one and one together, I decided to put together a humble offering. This song is based somewhat on an old cowboy song called "Here's to the Rangers," extolling the virtues of the Texas Rangers, and it seemed to fit in with the sort of overt praise and exaggeration of ability of the Ridders that Orcish's character Tosser would likely have fallen victim to. Therefore, without any further ado, "The Ridders' Restless Run."

The Ridders' Restless Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:18 am 

Obviously, I love everything about this, and it seems like exactly the sort of song which will have gotten Tosser shot! In particular, that sort of casual conflation of the ridders with the law seems like exactly the sort of thing which Tosser can't quite untangle when Scar's trying to talk him out of his well-thought-out plan... :face:

Raven, you are -- as ever -- a gem.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:53 pm 

Obviously, I love everything about this, and it seems like exactly the sort of song which will have gotten Tosser shot! In particular, that sort of casual conflation of the ridders with the law seems like exactly the sort of thing which Tosser can't quite untangle when Scar's trying to talk him out of his well-thought-out plan... :face:

Thanks! That is exactly what I was going for, a song that makes the Ridders seem larger than life and nigh-invulnerable.

Raven, you are -- as ever -- a gem.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Orcish!

Thanks for reading.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:29 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
whoops I dropped something

:duel:

PS: quick edit, changed the ending, it's better now.

PPS: changed it again, I am very indecisive

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:30 pm 

:dance:

Very cool! Thanks, razor! I really like it. It's got a nice jaunty, celebratory tune to it that I like in the context of the Ridders.

Again, thanks, razor!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:49 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

:dance:

Very cool! Thanks, razor! I really like it. It's got a nice jaunty, celebratory tune to it that I like in the context of the Ridders.

Again, thanks, razor!

thanks! I added some percussion (I wanted to do something more unique but it turns out a traditional son clave fits really well under the melody so I figured why fight it), played with the guitar ending, and added a second verse so you could hear my intentions with the loop. (I don't think the song calls for interludes, honestly. I think it wants to plow right through, so I let it.)

PS: listening to it again the cajon might be mixed a bit too loud, but you get the idea.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:36 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

got bored, did the rest of the verses (just lining up the melody with the words, nothing big on the arrangement), changed my mind and added a transitional section so it doesn't get too monotonous, and slapped an ending on there for fun. probably final version unless anyone has any suggestions.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:57 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Hella cool! It sounds like a song that would be played either by an awestruck youth or a culture romanticizing the far (in space and/or time) figure of the Ridders. Razor's rendition portrays well the cheesy sincerity of the lyrics.

Thanks for sharing, both of you!

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:56 pm 

This is very cool! I love it when these things come together. I think I like the transitions between the verses better than not having them, and that ending is pretty fun, too.

Thanks, razor!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:51 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Razor's rendition portrays well the cheesy sincerity of the lyrics.
that's the power of perfect 5ths in the melody!

This is very cool! I love it when these things come together. I think I like the transitions between the verses better than not having them, and that ending is pretty fun, too.

Thanks, razor!
glad you like it!

Like this post