It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: M:EM High School
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:31 pm 

OK, first of all, it's not even okay how perfect this is. I can imagine the whole thing, complete with song, and I absolutely lose it every time at the part where the twigs fall out of her hair. :D

Daneera needs her own sitcom, clearly. I think my favorite part is the Fae crown freezing in mid-air, just like in the inspiration, but unlike the inspiration, Daneera herself does not. That image cracks me up.

(Also, on a semi-unrelated note, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts covered this song when the played here in Boston a while back, and it was *killer*.)

Well, now I'm picturing Daneera as Joan Jett, which is just all kinds of great. Also, here's a thing for everyone:

I Love to Hunt and Prowl

Speaking of things which are so perfect that it's just not okay, I can't get over how much I love this. For the sake of argument, let's just pick ten reasons!

1) When Antony tells Kahr no more comedy, I laughed out loud.

Can't you just imagine Kahr's face as Antony says that? Priceless.

2) This Gale line is PERFECT: “The sea, and the wind, and the rain. A sturdy ship beneath me and a storm-kissed sky above. The waves rocking against the hull, and the sails vibrating in the breeze.”

I miss writing for Gale...

3) I love Kahr's chronic need to be shirtless, and Tryst pointing out that she's perfectly OK with that.

And I love that Kahr is apparently just endlessly posing as the others are talking. :D

4) Of course Aloise would be Happy. :D

Yeah, I couldn't pass that up.

5) Of course Beryl catches on fire. (This school's extinguisher budget must be through the roof!)

"Beryl burst into flames." might be my favorite line in the piece. High School Beryl is just all kinds of fun!

6) I love Aloise and Beryl's non-diegetic excursion over to the "Ask Raven" thread. As Mr. Peanutbutter would say, "Is this a crossover episode?"

I really enjoy playing around with these sorts of meta elements of fiction. Using a medium like a forum for our writing, while in some ways similar to paper and ink writing, there are differences that we can play around with. I sort of did that with "Nesting Dolls," with the "glowing page," but I think this was the most meta I've gotten on these boards.

7) I love the inside joke about Nasperge disappearing.

:)

8) Raiker's comment about the time skip practically killed me.

Leave it to Raiker…

9) Heavens help us all if Tryst ever decides to mount her own production... ("Heh," Tryst said, and snickered. "You said 'mount.'")

I now see her saying that when Antony introduces himself, which Antony of course immediately corrects, and Tryst just says, "close enough."

10) Ironically, Antony got the tragic ending he was after, didn't he? :D

When your final grade for your senior project is in the hands of Raiker Venn, tragedy awaits. :D

Anyway, that is a rather arbitrary attempt to pick out specific things that I liked, because, honestly, the whole thing had me in stitches. Like I said, it's basically perfect.

Thank you so much, Raven!

Glad you liked it! Thanks for reading.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:56 am 

Did we ever decide who's the janitor at the school? Whoever it is, someone needs to call them. There's a huge crack in the fourth wall, and it needs to be fixed.

Thank you Raven for making my day better with this inanity!

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:23 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
Did we ever decide who's the janitor at the school? Whoever it is, someone needs to call them. There's a huge crack in the fourth wall, and it needs to be fixed.

I nominate Bobber. He's the one who usually cleans up my messes around here.

:lol:

Aaarrrgh wrote:
Thank you Raven for making my day better with this inanity!

:hattip:

Always glad to help! Thanks for reading!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:44 pm 

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:05 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Heh, that was funny :D Raiker will do and forgo anything in the name of poetry. Thanks for sharing!

I feel like this AU has so much potential but unfortunately can't come up with anything myself :/

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:27 am 

Heh, that was funny :D Raiker will do and forgo anything in the name of poetry. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for reading! This started because I was trying to think of a Valentine's day story, which led to me thinking of Kerik trying to write a Valentine's Day poem for Daneera, which, of course, led me to Raiker making a stand for "good poetry." I love the thought of Kerik having a typical high school age boy's room with stinky socks and dust under the bed and elsewhere. And, of course, the callback to Orcish's "Kerik's fine axe" joke from the Double Date series makes me smile.

I feel like this AU has so much potential but unfortunately can't come up with anything myself :/

I go in streaks where I don't really have anything in mind for this, but when I do have ideas for it, they tend to amuse me greatly. The big thing, I think, is to just have fun with it. Think of some of those things that either tend to happen in high school or that we see in high school movies or tv shows. Then pick a couple of M:EM characters and run with the silliness of it.

For instance, you've established that Sharaka is in Shop, taught by Maral, and that Sharaka has infatuated with our sweaty giantess. So, what's a project Sharaka might work on in shop? What's something that can go disastrously wrong with said project? How would Maral react to so...enthusiastic a pupil to have said disastrous failure? Does Sharaka need some after-school tutoring from Elphimas, perhaps when she's in seeing Kala, the school nurse? So many options!

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:07 am 

Hmm... I guess it would help if I had an idea of what classes each pupil takes? It'd give me the angle "X and Y have class together, how would they interact?" I mean, I don't even know how many classes is a High School student is supposed to take, if there's usually a low and/or high cap or mandatory courses, and what subjects might interest some students apart from the obvious. Just putting Daneera in Raiker's class and outside of Health was a leap in the dark, really.

EDIT: "Just improvise" doesn't work well with me, as you may have noticed :V

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:10 am 

Hmm... I guess it would help if I had an idea of what classes each pupil takes? It'd give me the angle "X and Y have class together, how would they interact?" I mean, I don't even know how many classes is a High School student is supposed to take, if there's usually a low and/or high cap or mandatory courses, and what subjects might interest some students apart from the obvious. Just putting Daneera in Raiker's class and outside of Health was a leap in the dark, really.

EDIT: "Just improvise" doesn't work well with me, as you may have noticed :V

To be fair, I think only two of my stories in this thread actually feature a class... :)

To answer your question, in my experience with American high school, students usually take anywhere from 5 to 8 class periods per day (same schedule all five days, classes about 50-55 minutes). At my high school, I believe we had 7, with the eighth "period" a shortened "Advisor/Advisee" period where students from different grades were assigned a faculty "advisor." Basically, it was to mingle the students a bit, I think, as no actual advising every really happened. At my school, you had to take a full load for Freshman and Sophomore years, but then Junior and Senior years, you could take a free period or two, which was great for me, because I ended up taking first and eighth periods off my Senior year, meaning I could show up late and leave early.

If you want to make up a schedule for one/several/all of the students, go right ahead! I won't stop you. Typically, again in American high schools, every year students would take at least an English class, a History class, a Science class, and a Math class, and then some electives.

But I think for most people, high school was more about the social interactions than the actual schooling, which, you know, probably says a lot about the education system in this country...

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:36 pm 

(I noticed I picked the info Daneera attends English with Venn and that Sharaka attends Health from your starting piece; honestly, such a degree of initiative was OOC for me :D)

Between your post and what I could scrounge up on Google I gathered that every institute basically does whatever the heck it wants. :D Some schedule templates really hurt my eyes. The concept of AP classes is interesting tho.

To be fair, I think only two of my stories in this thread actually feature a class... :)

Sure, but not every M:EM kid is necessarily supposed to know each other, and knowing who could meet who during classes can be interesting, especially people that for some reason might behave very differently than outside that class (like seeing Sharaka drooling after Maral, for example)

Quote:
At my school, you had to take a full load for Freshman and Sophomore years, but then Junior and Senior years, you could take a free period or two, which was great for me, because I ended up taking first and eighth periods off my Senior year, meaning I could show up late and leave early.[...]

Typically, again in American high schools, every year students would take at least an English class, a History class, a Science class, and a Math class, and then some electives.

So we can have 4 somewhat mandatory classes and a bunch of electives. I'd say that the average student has from 2 to, what, 4 electives? Are those sensible numbers? Probably Jackie has dropped any non-mandatory ones by now, and Denner and Lumina have an almost full load, with maybe one free period for Lumina to have time for the Newspaper Club.

Quote:
But I think for most people, high school was more about the social interactions than the actual schooling, which, you know, probably says a lot about the education system in this country...

In Italy the choice of the equivalent of high school (the last 5 years of public formation) is rather important, since every one of them has a general focus on a certain area (in my city there's at least one each for humanities, science, art and a variety of professions from turism-related ones to teaching to areonautics) and little room to change the schedule (in my school we had 1600 students and 5 types of schedules, with the option of taking extracurricular activities and courses that usually ranged from 2 to 4 weekly hours.). So the choice is relevant to whether you're planning to attend an university, though most students pick their schools for the subjects they prefer with varying degrees of pressure from the parents.

In the more general sense, many "kids" become quickly aware that some of those subjects (like Art History in a scientific high school, or Physics in a humanities one) won't be very useful in their foreseeable future, so not every class is attended with the same dedication :D The fact that basically every high school has at least a couple mandatory subjects external to its main focus means many kids feel like they're studying them just to advance in what interests them, or just to get out of school with passing grades.

But enough with comparative schooling, I had an idea...

Warning: foul language; I wrote this piece as I imagined and let the filter sort its own. Surprisingly, something got past.

Spoiler

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:57 pm 

Spoiler

Teen Sharaka's angsty, huh? :D

I love her attitude here, and I especially love the way Nasina just sort of stays cool about the whole thing while making little notes and observations to herself about Sharaka. This also made me wonder what Sharaka and Morgezka would think of one another in this school. There is also something vaguely sinister about Nasina's claim of influence in the school. It's all perfectly innocent, but there's just a hint that her webs (ha!) go a bit deeper than they might at first appear. Which, I suppose, is a bit reminiscent of canon Lady Nasina…

:D

Thanks for posting, Huey!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:21 pm 

Quote:
Teen Sharaka's angsty, huh? :D

I mean, canon Sharaka is 17/18 so that's just a consistent character trait :D I'm sorry to only provide rather heavy pieces for the thread, but I felt I needed to address the casual violence Sharaka wields. Probably more for my own sake than for any reader's :V

Quote:
I love her attitude here, and I especially love the way Nasina just sort of stays cool about the whole thing while making little notes and observations to herself about Sharaka.

I tried to put myself in the seat of a psychologist for that one, getting inspired by some of the things my own therapist does. And I'm also always glad to get some Sharaka snark in :D

Quote:
This also made me wonder what Sharaka and Morgezka would think of one another in this school.

Time to overanalyze stuff!

-We can suppose that in this world viashino lacked the bloody hystory the Bloodspine has, but still viashino are often depicted as servants or descendants of dragons; I can imagine some sort of systematic racism that put viashino under the influence of dragons, so Sharaka's take on the whole thing would be "we are our own people, **** you."
-Sharaka has a tendency to associate size with worth, which is also a reason why she often develops crushes on bigger people (see Maral). This dynamic, coupled with the race issue I just mentioned, would probably turn into an inferiority complex if she has something resembling a friendship with Morgezka, which as we saw tends to evolve into a reflexive confrontational behavior.
-That said, the sorrow the Rulus have brought them would make them rather scary, if uneasy on Sharaka's part, allies, as Sharaka has enough self-control to avoid the more obvious traps even when on quasi-berserk and her empathic abilities could weaponize the immense anger Morgezka can muster. Now that I think of it, if Sharaka got past her issues an empathic bond with a dragon would make her a force even some of our heavy hitters should be wary of. (that's the reason why I have had contemplated to write about a Sharaka powered by the draconic pendant in Maral's vault for quite some time) To know more about Morgezka's side I'd have to refresh my memory about her ideas and behavior related to human-sized people, and viashino in particular (though I guess that's not an issue that gets explicitly tackled in shared pieces).

Quote:
There is also something vaguely sinister about Nasina's claim of influence in the school. It's all perfectly innocent, but there's just a hint that her webs (ha!) go a bit deeper than they might at first appear. Which, I suppose, is a bit reminiscent of canon Lady Nasina…

Again, I'd have to refresh my memory about her first appearance to explore the similarities in full, but I didn't thought much of it; it was just a small jab to Sharaka's somewhat laughable bravado. Rereading the piece there's the grounds to say Nasina might be Elphimas' therapist, or she maybe just likes to informally take care of the staff in addition to tending to the kids.

My creative archive

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7