It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HN's Q&A
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:32 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Obviously inspired by Raven's thread; it sounded like a lot of fun and it may help me figure out something new about my own characters, which is always cool.

I'll also use this first post as a personal archive for multiple reasons

If you have any curiosity, doubt or perplexity about my writing and/or my creations feel free to ask!

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Last edited by Huey Nomure on Wed May 09, 2018 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: HN's Q&A
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:06 pm 

If you were to do a cross-over story with one of your characters and a character (or characters) of someone else, who would you want to use?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:25 am 

If you were to do a cross-over story with one of your characters and a character (or characters) of someone else, who would you want to use?

Hm... I'll tackle this from the very beginning. If I were to make a crossover, there would be two choices:
1. A proper collaboration, with the other author giving live feedback on their characters' lines and actions (or writing them themselves);
2. An autonomous crossover, that would bring me to obsessively check the archived pieces of those characters to make sure I'm getting them right.

So if I decided to bring that nuisance to myself or another, I'd do it when I've got a solid idea, which as of now I don't. The potential for each character, on the other hand, I tested in my mind multiple times.

Sharaka: I plan to take her to Jakkard, to explore the untapped material of the tribes living far from the railroed cities; meeting Jackie doesn't currently make sense, but I'm thinking about involving at least another character in a cameo, maybe more. Beyond that, I believe she may have some interesting chemistry with Beryl (+Aloise) and Maral in particular, though I think she could work well (from a narrative standpoint) with many M:EM characters; she'd have a lot of fun around Orida, for example, and there might be something interest to explore with Alessa.

Elphimas is weird; while their gregarious attitude makes them great supporting character material on paper, their personality hinders their ability to really connect with another, for better or for worse. They'd be only able to develop for good with characters that can truly understand or accept them, like Sharaka and Aloise, but I think they'd find pleasant acquaintances in other curious characters like Illarion, Denner (a bit late for them, ain't it), Aloise again, Morgan, maybe Lumina, Pendulum (that could be pretty interesting), Raleris, Tey'von... you get the idea. (now that I look at the list, almost all of them are :u:) On the other hand, discovering Raiker's real vocation (they're already aware of his work, as Just a Statistic shows) might give them the closest they can get to a nemesis.

Kalit is pretty villainous, though even a broken clock and all that, and Ungar is an outright genocidal psychopath. I've spent little thought on them; maybe Donagut might have another really bad time meeting one of them. They're both prone to manipulation, though, so they're easy to combine with high-caliber villains.

Snipe now is too stubborn to play along with someone that disagrees with them, but mostly I still have to polish them.

Fayn is plane-bound and very exploration-focused, so she'd be mainly compatible with fellow explorers like Larasa and Morgan or researchers interested in the weird Thamirelk's Wastelands.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:48 am 

Sharaka: I plan to take her to Jakkard, to explore the untapped material of the tribes living far from the railroed cities; meeting Jackie doesn't currently make sense, but I'm thinking about involving at least another character in a cameo, maybe more.

you know, funny story, but I actually have a vash character ideally suited to help there. He was briefly in Wild Card, but he's got a lot more of an elaborate backstory than I think anyone really expects.

Quote:
Beyond that, I believe she may have some interesting chemistry with Beryl (+Aloise) and Maral in particular, though I think she could work well (from a narrative standpoint) with many M:EM characters; she'd have a lot of fun around Orida, for example, and there might be something interest to explore with Alessa.

Nifty.
Maral has an interesting sort of dynamic to approach, but about the only lead in I could come up with off the cuff is Sharaka as a buyer.
Alessa is in a weird place, so the weight of that interaction largely depends on the scenario.

Quote:
Fayn is plane-bound and very exploration-focused, so she'd be mainly compatible with fellow explorers like Larasa and Morgan or researchers interested in the weird Thamirelk's Wastelands.

Ilyta would probably be a fun adventure partner.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:23 am 

Barinellos wrote:
Sharaka: I plan to take her to Jakkard, to explore the untapped material of the tribes living far from the railroed cities; meeting Jackie doesn't currently make sense, but I'm thinking about involving at least another character in a cameo, maybe more.

you know, funny story, but I actually have a vash character ideally suited to help there. He was briefly in Wild Card, but he's got a lot more of an elaborate backstory than I think anyone really expects.

The RATC enforcer? (I just reread it)

Quote:
Maral has an interesting sort of dynamic to approach, but about the only lead in I could come up with off the cuff is Sharaka as a buyer.
Alessa is in a weird place, so the weight of that interaction largely depends on the scenario.

If Maral also deals in prosthetic limbs that's a really obvious item of interest I can think about :V
About Alessa... well, her current glum view of life certainly doesn't make things easy.

Quote:
Quote:

Ilyta would probably be a fun adventure partner.

An archeomancer would be insanely useful in the Hellbent business, I admit I had completely overlooked her.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:47 am 

Barinellos wrote:

The RATC enforcer? (I just reread it)

Yeah, known better as 'The Dragon' in his circles, which is a bit of a complicated title to carry given the Vash spiritual beliefs. Most non-Vash just associate it with the shotgun he carries.
I have a whole huge backstory laid out for him, I've just never gotten a chance to use it.

Quote:
If Maral also deals in prosthetic limbs that's a really obvious item of interest I can think about :V
About Alessa... well, her current glum view of life certainly doesn't make things easy.

Magical prosthesis are definitely in her wheelhouse.
Alessa is bound to hit bottom soon. She's been there before.

Quote:
An archeomancer would be insanely useful in the Hellbent business, I admit I had completely overlooked her.

Eh, it's understandable. The only story she has still isn't actually in the archive... I should put that up to vote soon.

Okay, to pull it back on track:
What are your characters' favorite animal?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:57 am 

Quote:
Quote:

Magical prosthesis are definitely in her wheelhouse.

Nice, I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Quote:

Eh, it's understandable. The only story she has still isn't actually in the archive...

And I liked it a lot! The Ilyta/Ilyria issue doesn't do her any favors when one's just scrolling the Archives though.

Quote:
Okay, to pull it back on track:
What are your characters' favorite animal?

Um, that's something I never thought about. I'll keep it limited to real-world animals.

Sharaka rarely respects prey animals; the boar is probably the only exception from the Burnspine. She likes birds of prey, but her favorite animal is probably the wolf.

Elphimas likes animals that move in a slow and/or hypnotic ways, like slugs, jellyfishes and snakes. Animals that move irregularly or very fast like hummingbirds, small rodents and many insects (and, unfortunately, lunging snakes) make them slightly uncomfortable.

Ungar hates wolves with a passion since Ulfrs raided his village. He's not a fan of animals in general, but he's most comfortable around scavenging animals (canids excluded); among them crows, ravens and rats are the most likely to be zombified and kept around.

Kalit likes tough, fierce animals like wolverines; being around poisonous or venomous animals reminds him of himself, so he's not a fan of those.

Snipe isn't really interested in animals. He prefers predators if he has to choose; among the constructs he uses frequently, a modified Stonework Puma is the only model that closely resemble an animal (his Bats are merely thopters with enhanced "hearing"), which narrows it down somewhat.

Fayn's more used to the strange and often sapient monsters of the Wastelands, but if she had to choose she'd probably go for terns or some other migratory bird. She also has a weak spot for dogs.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:53 pm 

One of your characters encounters a small, isolated village whose inhabitants are very friendly...suspiciously friendly, even. How do they handle it, and what ends up happening?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:09 am 

Identity: Male
What would your characters' movesets be if they cameoed in a Smash Brothers game? And don't let me down like Raven did. Played it once. Like I'd believe someone that learned would pass up on Smash Bros.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:31 am 

I'll get to Raven's question soon, I've got a few ideas for it.

TPmanW wrote:
What would your characters' movesets be if they cameoed in a Smash Brothers game? And don't let me down like Raven did. Played it once. Like I'd believe someone that learned would pass up on Smash Bros.

Unfortunately I never played Smash Bros, though I wanted to for a long time. I've got a certain experience with Soul Calibur, though, so I'll talk about that and maybe you can imagine what their SSB version would be like.

Sharaka is one of the most difficult characters of that iteration; she uses a long dagger as a weapon (though her size makes her reach average) and many kicks feature tail attacks. The newbies tend to spam her firebreath for its big hitbox, but its slow recover is punishing (it's supposed to be used as an interrupt or medium-range poke); most of her combos require very precise timing. Her unique feature is "feinting": she can interrupt her own moves with long wind-ups through three specific attacks or just by dashing, making her great for mind-games.

Elphimas is not very suited to a fighting game, since they're sort of a pacifist and rarely do anything beside walking and carrying books anyway.

Many of Ungar's attacks make unnerving noises when they connect; he uses his cane as a weapon, with combos that summon magical attacks like piercing shadows, swiping tentacles and such-like. Feared among low-skill players, experienced ones can reliably dodge these flashy attacks.

Kalit uses his sword to fight; some of his attacks feature Guard Impacts during their wind-ups. He's not very mobile, but has many attacks that can wreck the opponent if they're landed as interrupts. He's rather easy to use, but has a few tricks for the experienced player.

Snipe casually summons and dismisses a different weapon for every attack he makes; he has good combo potential, range versatility and long-range poke, but doesn't excel at any range.

Fayn uses a short dagger for most of her attacks, with the option of throwing grenades at long range. Her distinguishing feature is "vanishing": many of her slower attacks have invincibility frames in which Fayn becomes a shiny outline. She's ok even without exploiting them, but once you start reading your opponent this option can be devastating.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:01 am 

One of your characters encounters a small, isolated village whose inhabitants are very friendly...suspiciously friendly, even. How do they handle it, and what ends up happening?

Part one.

Sharaka

elphimas

EDIT: I'll save Ungar for last.
Kalit

Snipe

Fayn

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:53 pm 

Identity: Male
Well, looks like you and Raven have to evaluate your life choices. Your response was however, quite enlightening. I played some Soul Caliber back in the day, but fear I wasn't ever very proficient.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:09 am 

TPmanW wrote:
Well, looks like you and Raven have to evaluate your life choices. Your response was however, quite enlightening. I played some Soul Caliber back in the day, but fear I wasn't ever very proficient.

Glad it was somewhat explanatory.

And now the last part of Raven's query.
Ungar

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:40 pm 

@The towns: I like Sharaka's the best, I think. It's a pretty cool concept, a town where prestige is based on secrets and information. I also love that Sharaka goes as far as melting the lock on her door. Ungar's is good, too, but (no pun intended) dark.

Okay, here's one (partially inspired by the old Suppose Prose thread): The spell of an extremely powerful wizard or planeswalker has transformed the mana of an obscure plane so that when someone draws a color of mana, only a mana of one of its enemy colors is produced (trying to produce actually produced either or ). One of your characters is trapped there. What happens there, and how do they react?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:25 am 

@The towns: I like Sharaka's the best, I think. It's a pretty cool concept, a town where prestige is based on secrets and information. I also love that Sharaka goes as far as melting the lock on her door. Ungar's is good, too, but (no pun intended) dark.

Ungar is basically designed for dark stuff with touches of absurd humor (like the sincere "Aw, you shouldn't have" when offered to a freakin' demon as a sacrifice), so I couldn't have gone very far with that. Sharaka's the most divergent from the "they're out to get you" template, so it makes sense she stands out the most; the other four are mainly little showcases for their character.

Quote:
The spell of an extremely powerful wizard or planeswalker has transformed the mana of an obscure plane so that when someone draws a color of mana, only a mana of one of its enemy colors is produced (trying to produce actually produced either or ). One of your characters is trapped there. What happens there, and how do they react?

Wouldn't that make any spell they knew impossible? Producing different mana doesn't cause you to instinctively know different spells, doesn't it? I'm trying to figure out how this would work.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:09 am 

Quote:
The spell of an extremely powerful wizard or planeswalker has transformed the mana of an obscure plane so that when someone draws a color of mana, only a mana of one of its enemy colors is produced (trying to produce actually produced either or ). One of your characters is trapped there. What happens there, and how do they react?

Wouldn't that make any spell they knew impossible? Producing different mana doesn't cause you to instinctively know different spells, doesn't it? I'm trying to figure out how this would work.

I think I was thinking that it would somehow twist their favored spells into an enemy-colored version of them? Or maybe force them into a mana inversion thing like Lucas Harran? I don't know, it's been a long week. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:40 am 

I think I was thinking that it would somehow twist their favored spells into an enemy-colored version of them? Or maybe force them into a mana inversion thing like Lucas Harran? I don't know, it's been a long week. :)

I'm past late about this, but I didn't have some epiphany so here we go. I'll suppose it turns every color into one enemy color, and magic will try to imitate its original use whenever possible.

:u: Sharaka... would freak out. Like, a lot. Speed enhancement would turn into time acceleration, strenght enhancement... telekinesis? And that's alright. But fire would turn into snow magic and emotion magic would turn into mind control. I think she would leave as soon as she accidentally controlled another creature, horrified out of her skin. Having Sophron-like powers is not at the top of her to-do list.
:w: Sharaka wouldn't mind too much. Sure, spitting light blasts would weird her out, but combat magic would be mostly unchanged. What would emotion magic become? Morale-boosting like Djeru's Resolve? If so, she may find herself quite at home leading a team for some noble cause she deems fit. Connecting with a community is a big thing for her.

Elphimas' "active" magic is tied to the sentient spell living in their brain, so it would probably oppose some resistance to this magic warping, but I'm ignoring it for the sake of the answer.
:g: Elphimas would find it an enlightening experience: sensing the life in the earth, the striving of every being from a blade of grass to a rampaging baloth... and when they discovered that shifting their own appearance resulted into full-fledged shapeshifting, they'd spend quite a lot of time on the plane, experimenting on how one's shape influences one's thoughts. There is the risk they would lose themselves in there, enraptured in a shape that doesn't feel loneliness or longing...
:r: Elphimas would struggle a lot. Sensing emotions and heat instead of, well, shapes would be a serious difficulty for moving around. They might leave pretty quickly, feeling blind is not something they're fond of.

Snipe's magic is artifice; as such, mana shift wouldn't have significant effects on their behavior. It would make using certain equipment impossible (if not using Moxes or other mana-shifting artifacts), sure, but once they got the hang of it there wouldn't be a problem. If they ended up shifting to :r: they'd probably return to build a small forge and produce Red-related artifacts to expand their arsenal.

Ungar has two colors, so he could change into :r::g:, :g::w: or :r::w:. They'd end up communing with the largest and most dangerous entity related to those colors (or riling up nations if :w:) and leading them to cause chaos, so it would be a change of tools rather than behavior. :r: would be a favorite of theirs, with all the possibilities to destroy or warp a plane, with :w: a close second with all its board resets (somebody said Armageddon?)

Fayn is plane-bound, so there's that.

Shifted Kalit... if he manages to give the new mana color a chance, he might stop 'walking entirely. He would have been :g: if Thutmoset hadn't put his mark on him and dragged him toward psychopathy. Maybe :w: would be too stark of a contrast, and he would 'walk away quickly, but :g: calls to him. I'd like to think that this is what would take for him to settle down, find a way to reliably obtain his poison, and maybe find a community that is immune to it, or that can tolerate him while he researches an antidote to be able to be around someone without sickening them. Maybe a powerful druid would be able to reverse his curse? Possibilities abound.

Like this post