It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:59 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Ungar Landvik
Human(?) pre-Mending Planeswalker

Appearance
Ungar Landvik presents himself as a very thin man on his thirties; his face is pale and gaunt, his grey eyes are framed by dark circles, his nose big and crooked, lips thin and colorless. Even with his cane his gait is stooped and uncertain; he dons an illusory tailored brown suit over his real clothes, tattered and dirty from age and lack of care.

Expressivity
“Here’s, um, where is it now, oh good, yes here’s the invitation letter…”
Ungar often stammers, especially when he feels cornered or is caught in a lie, and rarely meets the gaze of anybody; he lies often and shamelessly, probably even to himself. Something in his pose and mannerisms seems to attract either victimization or utter contempt. When he’s performing his unholy rituals or mowing down his opposition, however, he acquires a somewhat proud (but still stooped) stance and a more confident tone.

Personality and Behaviour
Ungar rationalizes every atrocity he commits, from leading a gang of bandits to their untimely death to unraveling the existence of a whole plane, as something done for the “greater good”; his justifications change from time to time, though, and are not always consistent. Between his countless lies and his flawed memory, his word is... not the most reliable of sources. He often pictures himself is a victim, saddled with the unenviable task of appeasing Them and finding ways to protect the Multiverse from Them; but if They really exist, he is actually allowing Their grasp to reach the furthest planes. He seems to believe that harassing him or disrespecting Them should be punished with death or worse.
He is completely absorbed by his tasks, never thinking about contingencies and revenge. It’s hard to understand what his actual goals are, other than gaining more power and cause wanton destruction: his plans usually involve consuming any source of power he’s able to lay his hands on and leave behind either desolation or powerful and dangerous artifacts; whether the latter is intentional or accidental, nobody knows.

Background
Ungar was born in Aralheim before the last Ragnarok, from a humble family living near the southern coast. Ungar was sent to the city to be trained in magic after he started to have premonitions; he had a natural talent for divination, but was unable to make friends. He grew up lonely, spending more and more time studying magic and perfecting his skills.
One day Ungar learned the village where he was born had been attacked by Ulfrs and both his parents had been killed. He easily scried the location of the pack, but the city guards ignored his pleas for revenge; he was kicked from the academia after being caught studying forbidden tomes about necromancy shortly thereafter. He was about to leave to return to his native village when he was approached by a woman who promised him the knowledge he sought in exchange for his services. Ungar soon discovered the woman was a cultist, but he didn't care; the guards were apparently unwilling to eradicate the spawn of Evil, so why was he supposed to care? He had higher plans.
After months of obsessive work Ungar believed to be ready; he had devised a ritual that would have allowed him to directly scry the cultist's lords, whomever - whatever - they were. He wasn't sure what he would do with the information, maybe travel north - surely the Valkyrie would have valued such knowledge, and possibly they would have acted upon it. He drugged the cultist during their next meeting, and sacrificed her soul to fuel the ritual.
But instead of scrying the leaders of the cultists, the magic connected his mind with Them. Ungar was prepared for failure, but not for the horrid touch of those alien minds; he was broken and tormented for what Ungar thought were years. He awakened in a strange place full of unusual items and unknown races, but before he could feel relief for the end of the agony They clamped his mind in a vise of pure pain, violating his thoughts with their own terrible desires.
And so his servitude began.

"They"
Ungar thinks the impulses and instructions he receives come directly from the lords of Aralheim's Cults, but anyone with a solid knowledge of interplanar magic will assure that such a thing is extremely unlikely. Someone entering his mind in a "normal" state will encounter a broken and very unstable "main" personality and a cluster of "parasitic" alien intellects; whether those intellects are actually shards of the creatures Ungar encountered during his ritual or parts of the planeswalker's mind that have turned into Their reflections, nobody can know.

Magic and powers
Ungar always had knack for divination in both his mana colors, he dabbled with necromancy and has become an experienced ritualist. He’s also able to commune with any intellect, no matter how alien and monstrous; Ungar can use this link to overwhelm “ordinary” minds with visions of the horrors he witnessed in his long life. Ungar has also acquired an ever-changing array of dangerous artifacts and a number of tricks typical of ancient planewalkers (like cancelling the trail he leaves when planeswalking), but he uses the former much more frequently than the latter.
Ungar has mana bonds with countless swamps and other corrupted places, giving him access to vast amounts to black mana; he somewhat neglects his blue mana bonds.
Key Artifacts
It’s hard to define Ungar’s power without the dangerous artifacts he carries, not just because of their significant impact on his abilities but because some of them are sentient and behave according to their own will. Ungar has learned how to coax them to do his bidding, but he still needs to pay attention when employing their help.
The Orb of Hunger

The Pearl of Deceit

The Endless Nightmare

Combat
Behavior
- Ungar is not a cunning strategist nor a particularly refined duelist; he prefers to overwhelm his opponents through sheer power, planeswalking away if overwhelmed himself.
-Ungar enjoys seeing his opponents squirming under his psychic attacks, but will use the Orb’s power against resilient targets or when he’s in a hurry.
-When Ungar is cornered or victim of mind control They take control of his body: Ungar turns into a mindless but constantly regenerating beacon of black mana who disregards his artifacts and divinations to blast his foes’ minds and bodies with rough but powerful black spells. Trying to enter his mind when in this state is outright suicidal.
Advantages and weaknesses
-His experience with eldritch horrors made him very resilient to psychic attacks; if given enough time, Ungar can use his telepathy to learn his opponent’s biggest fears and traumas to exploit them in his own psychic assaults.
-The Endless Nightmare makes him very hard to kill for good, but he isn’t able to attack while replenishing the artifact’s mana: he will retreat if forced on the defensive for too long.
-The abilities of his artifacts are very useful, but they make him overconfident and incautious.
-The Orb’s mist can erode Ungar’s body and magic, though he’s very experienced in its use; it may be possible to turn the half-sentient… thing… against him.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Last edited by Huey Nomure on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:52 pm 

Identity: Male
Something tells me this fellow would get on splendidly with the Shifter, the Liar, Auric, and our other villains.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:09 pm 

Something tells me this fellow would get on splendidly with the Shifter, the Liar, Auric, and our other villains.

Heh, I wouldn't know about getting along but it sure seems there is some potential for interesting interactions, right? For example, I think the Shifter would appreciate the chaos he sometimes leaves in his wake but not the utter desolation, or even the obliterated planes, if I remember one of his conversations with the Duchess well.

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:37 pm 

I think it would be interesting if They were entirely psychosomatic.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:17 pm 

Added Ungar's backstory, expanded a bit about Them and changed a bit his Expressivity.

Let's start from the new description:
Quote:
"They"
Ungar thinks the impulses and instructions he receives come directly from the lords of Aralheim's Cults, but anyone with a solid knowledge of interplanar magic will assure that such a thing is extremely unlikely. Someone entering his mind in a "normal" state will encounter a broken and very unstable "main" personality and a cluster of "parasitic" alien intellects; whether those intellects are actually shards of the creatures Ungar encountered during his ritual or parts of the planeswalker's mind that have turned into Their reflections, nobody can know.

"They" are either shards of the original creatures or shards of Ungar's mind change into Their images, there is no "middle way" about it. Thing is, there is no way to know which one, except maybe for a creature that's both familiar with Them and reliable as a source, and that's... unlikely.

That said, a character can be sure about the answer to this enigma, there's nothing wrong with that: Ungar has his personal opinion about it too, and is very certain about that, he just happens to be wrong (maybe). I like the ambiguity, it allows writers to show either facet of the character ("victim of possession by Elder Gods" or "completely unhinged menace") to fit with their chosen theme/mood without changing the nature of the character. In a piece related to Taramir, for example, (this character seems rather compatible with most material written by Tevish) playing the Elder Gods side would be more fitting, while in the interactions with, say, the Liar it would be better to bring up the Self-Made Tormentors theme.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:48 pm 

Identity: human
Preferred Pronoun Set: he

of or relating to a physical disorder that is caused by or notably influenced by emotional factors.

Interesting character.

I'm picking him for a study because he's right where i want him.

What would he be doing in a picture, if you were directing?

Do you have any doodles of him yet?

Yes, yes!

I've been painting.... Quite too much for sanity, or money.

That's not why i'm back here, though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:13 pm 

Identity: human
Preferred Pronoun Set: he
good luck everyone.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:04 am 

What would he be doing in a picture, if you were directing?

Hm, it depends. Here's a few ideas; in any case, something with dim lights and featuring alien/Lovecraftian details.

-Victim: hugging himself, surrounded by the monsters in his mind.
-Avatar of Evil: extending a hand toward the viewer, towering monsters behind him.
-Ritualist: at the center of a summoning circle, sacrificial knife held high above his head, a helpless victim at his feet. Blood and gore optional.
-Two Faces: a picture with his face split in two, one half with a pathetic little smile and the other monstrous and distorted. Not exactly original, but effective with the right details, I think.
-Contact: Ungar touching some shadowed, horrible thing. Creepy smile optional; bonus points if the composition resembles holy works like the Creation of Adam.

You may get further inspiration from The Pearl of the Black Queen, the only story in which he's featured as of now. The last paragraphs in particular, from the one containing the word "stars".

Quote:
Do you have any doodles of him yet?

Nothing of significant value... If you need reference you can use Robin Lord Taylor, the Penguin from the Gotham series. Ungar is more gaunt and scrawny, but he's a good starting point, and even his Penguin clothing and mannerisms have helped in Ungar's development, the first season in particular.

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Like this post