It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:11 pm 

With Nasperge having left Thorneau after meeting our dearest Perrine, he's free to give readings across the multiverse. So, with much gratitude to RavenoftheBlack for some valuable guidance, I offer his reading of a less common question. Enjoy!

The Why

Last edited by Brentain on Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:27 am 

This probably comes as no surprise to anyone, but I really like this story! Nasperge does his thing here, as he is wont to do, and we get to see a brand new Aubedore pattern! That's always exciting!

I'm also very interested in this centaur and where she goes from here, as will as the hanging question of what exactly happened to her father. It's an interesting little mystery, one that the cards gives us (as usual) only a hint about.

Thanks for posting, Brentain! I look forward to seeing where this goes from this mysterious beginning!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:48 am 

Identity: Male
Likewise. This story was a nice little diversion, a window into Nasperge's travels. I just wish there had been more to it -- as is, it feels like an unfired Chekhov's gun, a beginning without a satisfactory conclusion.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:22 am 

I'd be interested in seeing what awaits the filly.

Flagg: Nani?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:46 pm 

Oh, this is a goooood one. :) Thanks so much for sharing, Brentain!

I love the way that it feels like Nasperge is being a little more direct than usual, here. You can sort of feel him really directing the reading, really leading the patron towards conclusions, and being a little more explicit and a little less coy than I think he usually is when he's interpreting a pattern. And the reason that I like that sort of subtle distinction is that I think it makes total sense, given the context -- it seems like, as part of his Perrine-motivated vacation, Nasperge has made his way to a place where Aubedore isn't part of the cultural fabric, and, in this particular instance, he has a client who seems to come to the reading without much familiarity with the magician's art. So I like how you can sort of sense Nasperge really leading the centaur by the hand a little bit -- or by the hoof, I suppose.

Simialrly, I love the way that the centaur just blurts out her question at the start of the reading. You get this sense that she has been standing there, watching, and watching, and, all that time, she has been trying to figure out how to ask about something that she very desperately wants to know, but isn't wholly comfortable talking about.

And then, in the moment, all that rehersal gets completely forgotten, and the question just comes tumbling out.

That feels very true to me. It's a nice little moment.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing, Brentain -- I enjoyed this one thoroughly!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:49 am 

Thank you all for reading and commenting!

I'm also very interested in this centaur and where she goes from here, as will as the hanging question of what exactly happened to her father. It's an interesting little mystery, one that the cards gives us (as usual) only a hint about.
:plot:

I just wish there had been more to it -- as is, it feels like an unfired Chekhov's gun, a beginning without a satisfactory conclusion.
I get that. This piece completes a thought, but not an arc. That may well be something I need to work on.

I'd be interested in seeing what awaits the filly.
So would I, actually.

Oh, this is a goooood one. :) Thanks so much for sharing, Brentain!
:cloud9:

I love the way that it feels like Nasperge is being a little more direct than usual, here. You can sort of feel him really directing the reading, really leading the patron towards conclusions, and being a little more explicit and a little less coy than I think he usually is when he's interpreting a pattern. And the reason that I like that sort of subtle distinction is that I think it makes total sense, given the context -- it seems like, as part of his Perrine-motivated vacation, Nasperge has made his way to a place where Aubedore isn't part of the cultural fabric, and, in this particular instance, he has a client who seems to come to the reading without much familiarity with the magician's art. So I like how you can sort of sense Nasperge really leading the centaur by the hand a little bit -- or by the hoof, I suppose.
That's probably unintentional, but I'm glad it works. A good portion of that could be way it needs to lead the reader through the pattern, and I have to thank Raven again for pointing out where my initial draft wasn't quite able to do that. But yes, Nasperge's primary goal here would have been to help his patron find a sense of closure and move on with her life.

Simialrly, I love the way that the centaur just blurts out her question at the start of the reading. You get this sense that she has been standing there, watching, and watching, and, all that time, she has been trying to figure out how to ask about something that she very desperately wants to know, but isn't wholly comfortable talking about.

And then, in the moment, all that rehersal gets completely forgotten, and the question just comes tumbling out.

That feels very true to me. It's a nice little moment.
Curiously, that was the easiest part to write. (Followed immediately by the hardest.) Perhaps because it's the kind of thing I've done myself.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing, Brentain -- I enjoyed this one thoroughly!
Thank you again for the kind thoughts, OrcishLibrarian!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:41 am 

Is this a one-shot, or can we expect more entries focusing on your centaur and her fate? Even if this piece is merely a thought, its a compelling one.

Flagg: Nani?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:04 am 

Is this a one-shot, or can we expect more entries focusing on your centaur and her fate? Even if this piece is merely a thought, its a compelling one.

Little else has yet been written, but I'm not disinclined to continue. Really, this piece was mostly about the new Aubedore pattern; the fact that there's a mystery to be solved grew out of the pattern's nature as a way to investigate "Why" questions.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:32 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
As CKY said, this piece feels a bit incomplete, but it's pleasing to read and everything seems well thought out. Just a minor weirdness: when Nasperge talks about "purpose", it almost sounds like the centaur's father left to make her more serious.

Thank your for sharing!

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:11 pm 

As CKY said, this piece feels a bit incomplete, but it's pleasing to read and everything seems well thought out.
Thank you.

Just a minor weirdness: when Nasperge talks about "purpose", it almost sounds like the centaur's father left to make her more serious.
Hmm. Mostly, that was an attempt to describe the distinction between "¿Por qué?" and "¿Para qué?" that we tend to gloss over in English. Basically, "Why?" has at least two possible meanings, and the River pattern attempts to answer both to some extent.

However, Aubedore readings are always attuned to a particular patron. In the River pattern, that is particularly true of the Lake and Delta, which always reflect on the patron, and to a lesser extent the lower course and sometimes the tributary.

But you're right, that point might have been a bit misplaced, considering that the tributary takes part in both questions. Perhaps "results" would be better for that transition, though it doesn't tie back into the question quite as well.

And you're absolutely right that the filly's father wouldn't have wanted to make her miserable. Then again, it might not be entirely incorrect to say that the potential to cause her pain could have been a consideration, however minor, for another party to the events that took place...

Thank your for sharing!
Thank you for commenting!

Like this post