It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:15 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
I like the expression and the rendition of the fur, but maybe the snout should look longer and pointier?

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:52 am 

Identity: Male
Alas, the tyranny of foreshadowing foreshortening! It makes that which is long seem short; it renders even the greatest things small.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Last edited by chinkeeyong on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:16 pm 

Identity: human
Preferred Pronoun Set: he
I feel like the amount of style you are getting in the headshots could easily overflow into the rest of the character study.

Like there's higher resolution in the portraits.

Can you control that by zooming in and out of the bitmap?

The fox looks sweet, by the way.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:18 pm 

Identity: human
Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Oh, your zoomed in on the face.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:59 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Alas, the tyranny of foreshadowing! It makes that which is long seem short; it renders even the greatest things small.

Uh, I thought the head was more tilted because of the hat's perspective... actually it looks like the hat's resting on the ears instead of their head. I may even say that brimmed hats don't look good on the foxfolk; the images we have of the kitsune have brimless hats, and in the examples with large headwear they have some support to avoid it weighing the ears down (or they are old kitsune which, I assume, tend to have low ears by default).

tl;rd: wanna try a hatless version?

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:47 pm 

But an Old West lawman without a hat is like a bird without wings. It just wouldn't fly.

Personally I think it looks alright. I'll post the full version later today and see how it goes.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:28 pm 

Identity: Human
Indeed, I don't find any issue with the hat. I find I have roughly the same conceptual issue with the foreshadowing, though; to me it looks just a skosh too cat-like.

Keep in mind, Huey, that these aren't Kitsune. They are Jakk fox-folk and, now that I think about it, would probably take after the fennec, at least moreso than any Kitsune we've seen.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:34 pm 

Foreshortening.
Sorry, that was bothering me.

If you plan to do either a Viashino or Rattler, there are concept pieces for those in the same place as the guns.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:50 pm 

Identity: Human
Oh, that was my mistake. It's late, sorry. Well, late when I get up at 6am weekdays.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:56 pm 

Oh, that was my mistake. It's late, sorry. Well, late when I get up at 6am weekdays.

Eh, cky did it too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:31 am 

I had the word "foreshortening" in my head but it came out wrong. Oops.

I'm almost done with a new piece of concept art and will post it soon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:08 am 

Attachment:
Concept Art - Guard V45.jpg
Concept Art - Guard V45.jpg [ 140.19 KiB | Viewed 941 times ]

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:34 am 

I really like the fox. Very nice touch with the black/gray paws. That's a detail about foxes that I suspect a lot of people would miss. I'm also very fond of the little details that indicate the fox has, perhaps, more money than other "guards" would, like the fancy embroidery on the vest and boots, and the fancier pistol. Really cool stuff. I particularly like that pistol, by the way.

I'm less sold on the Vash. The tail is awesome, and I like how the rear claws almost cut through the footwear like that. Now, I'm probably alone in this, but I tend to picture a Vash as being more burly, particularly in the upper body. Also, the face and the claws, while infinitely better than anything I could have ever done, seem a bit off to me. I do quite like the side view of the Vash, though.

Thanks for posting!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:42 am 

I decided to depict Jakkard viashino with the proportions of Keeper and Lunar Mystic's concept art, but with coloration and features closer to horned lizards. I erred on the side of more lizardlike and less anthropomorphic, because I think it looks cool.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:36 am 

Horned lizards are the best lizards. I also dig those... footwear. Wraps, I guess?

The fox's hat doesn't look too stable perched like that. For fox hats, I recommend either going tricorner (evoking new vs old world mentalities) or having the brim cut in around the ears to form a sort of hourglass shape (and then have everyone's hats do this to show the influence the foxes have on Jakard).

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:52 am 

Do they count as spats even if they aren't on shoes?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:40 am 

I declare that those are "moccasin wraps." You heard it here first.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:54 am 

I can't explain why I love foxes in vests so much, but I love foxes in vests, and I definitely love this fox in a vest. :D

Anyway, I think both of these are really great, CKY. And I'm glad Raven point out how good the profile sketches look, too, because I really like those as well.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:40 am 

3D modeling is suffering

Attachment:
JackieModelWIP1.jpg
JackieModelWIP1.jpg [ 181.31 KiB | Viewed 834 times ]

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:04 am 

Dang.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next