It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:17 pm 

Bonsoir, mesdames et messieurs! I have a new story which I would like to share with you all. This particular yarn -- or perhaps rope, as the case may be -- is titled "Enough Rope to Hang By," and it takes place on Raven's plane of Thorneau.

This story follows after the events of "Unmasking at Midnight," "The Rule of Law," and "A Place at the Table," so, for anyone who hasn't been following the brewing revolution in Foraine, reading those stories first will provide some additional context for the events that transpire here. However, my hope is that it is also possible to read this piece on its own, for anyone who so chooses.

Before I go any further, I want to extend a deep and heartfelt thanks to the excellent Mr. Raven, who very generously loaned his characters and setting to this story, and who provided his thoughts and suggestions along every step of the way. This particular story was a long, long time in the making, and, at various points during its gestation, I wasn't totally convinced that I would be able to bring it to completion. Raven's encouragement was instrumental in helping me to see this one through, and I am deeply grateful for that.

My final thought, before I exit stage left, is that this particular piece gets a little dark in places. I'm putting a trigger warning up front, and, if anyone decides to give this story a pass based off of that, I will absolutely understand.

With that being said, I'm going to get out of the way. As ever, I want to thank everyone who takes the time to read this story. And, as ever, any thoughts, criticisms, or suggestions that you might have are eagerly welcomed.

So, thanks again, and I hope that you enjoy the story.

Trigger warning

Enough Rope to Hang By, Part I

Last edited by OrcishLibrarian on Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:18 pm 

Enough Rope to Hang By, Part II

Last edited by OrcishLibrarian on Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

Enough Rope to Hang By, Part III

Last edited by OrcishLibrarian on Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

Enough Rope to Hang By, Part IV

Last edited by OrcishLibrarian on Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:25 am 

What? This is the first I've ever heard of any of this...

"Thorneau?" "Amazing story?" "OrcishLibrarian?" What are any of those things...

:D

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have a lot more to say about this story later on, but I did want to stop by just to say that I love this piece for everything it does for the setting, the overarching Thorneau story, and, well, because it's really good! So I'll drop by to give more detailed thoughts later on (when it's not some crazy hour of the morning) but I just wanted to say thanks a ton for writing this, Orcish! I know it's been a journey, and I for one love the destination!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:51 am 

Well, now I'm just sad.

More on that later.

Thanks for posting, OL! Great story, as per usual. ;)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:29 pm 

What? This is the first I've ever heard of any of this...

Hrmm... I may be bad at math, but even I can tell that this story doesn't add up... :D

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have a lot more to say about this story later on, but I did want to stop by just to say that I love this piece for everything it does for the setting, the overarching Thorneau story, and, well, because it's really good! So I'll drop by to give more detailed thoughts later on (when it's not some crazy hour of the morning) but I just wanted to say thanks a ton for writing this, Orcish! I know it's been a journey, and I for one love the destination!

Well, thank you so much for reading, Raven (again, how is "Reading Raven" not a TV show?), and for the very kind words!

Anyway, I'm really glad that you like how this story turned out -- particularly since you were so instrumental along the way!

Well, now I'm just sad.

Well, now I'm sad that you're sad!

But, yeah, I know -- this one makes me sad, too. :(

More on that later.

Yes, please! :dance:

(To the "more" of anything from Ruwin part, that is! Not to the making Ruwin sad part. :()

Thanks for posting, OL! Great story, as per usual.

Thank you so much for reading, Ruwin (oh, man, now I'm realizing that "Reading Ruwin" should be a show, too!), and for the very kind words! I'm really, really glad that you liked the story!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:49 pm 

Thank you so much for reading, Ruwin (oh, man, now I'm realizing that "Reading Ruwin" should be a show, too!), and for the very kind words! I'm really, really glad that you liked the story!

"You're ruining reading if you're not Reading Ruwin."

That's a good slogan...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:09 pm 

Identity: Male
Wonderful.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:42 pm 

Wonderful.

Thanks so much for reading, CKY -- I'm really happy that you liked the story!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:43 am 

Raven gives long-winded responses to a great story

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:08 pm 

@ Raven -- Thanks again for the thoughtful comments, Raven!

Thoughts upon thoughts!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:26 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Spoiler

About Classpects: (Other Homestucks are especially invited to comment on these)
Raiker would probably be a Bard (someone who invites destruction), while his Aspect may be Heart (soul/identity), as he uses his victims' desires and ambitions against them; Perrine's aggression makes me think of a Thief of Rage, someone who gets whatever they want using their victims' rage (the Baroness), fear/horror (basically everyone else) and other base reactions...

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:35 pm 

Thoughts 3D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:36 pm 

Ok, so...

This story made me VERY sad.

Like Raven, this story gives me a lot of ideas. Unfortunately, not any ideas I can put into place any time soon, especially with the glut of projects I've voluntarily forced upon myself. In hindsight, that wasn't very smart of me. But I digress.

This story was amazing. I thought I felt bad about making Jinsen kill a bunch of people, but at least they could remotely be construed as deserving it. I think the best way to describe Perrine is thusly: If she and pre-POF Fisco ever crossed paths, he would have put himself in debt for the opportunity to make her suffer.

Post-POF Fisco would, of course, just kill her.

You've created quite the villain here. I'm almost sad she's not a planeswalker, but you know... I don't think we need any more of those on the evil side. I'm sure Perrine's atrocities being contained to Thorneau is more than sufficient.

Really, I'm most excited for all of these interesting characters to meet Gale. I think we're long overdue for some heroics from everyone's favorite chaotic-good sailoress. ;)

Hm. Do we have a style guide for Thorneau? This plane should get the Jakkard treatment. It really should.

Thanks for posting, OL!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:01 pm 

Hm. Do we have a style guide for Thorneau? This plane should get the Jakkard treatment. It really should.

Here you go! It's not as complete as the Jakkard guide by any means, but enjoy yourself!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:37 pm 

Wow.

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:19 pm 

@ Raven, to the nth degree!

@ Huey -- Thank you so much for reading, Huey, and for the very thoughtful comments! They are much appreciated!

Comments on comments - how meta!

@ Ruwin -- Thanks again for reading, Ruwin, and for the thoughtful comments!

Spoiler

@ Brentain -- Thanks so much for reading, Brentain, and for sharing the great thoughts as well!

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:40 pm 

Regarding Perrine

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:31 am 

Regarding Perrine

There was a hint of this in "The Rule of Law" but it's not explicit. I'm actually glad that my first impression turned out to be correct.

Like this post