It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:09 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 11310
Location: Asleep at the wheel
Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
Hello M:EMbers,

You guys are amazing storytellers, weavers of tales, and able to set yourselves into many different mind-sets and roles. Because of that, I often wonder why you guys don't come down to the RPG and PbP area much, because I think you guys would do amazing work with roleplaying games, but I can understand it's not your cup of tea. But there are other games to play where you'll be taking on various roles, and so, I would like to invite you all into a game of Mafia. The game would be Vanilla, no strange twists or turns, just a basic game to challenge you all with. If you want to see how some games play out, there are loads of links in the Mafia Hosting Queue to help you understand what the games are. I know some of you are hesitant to play a game due to time and commitment strains, but I would be very open to making the game more casual, and increase the time for the Day and Night cycles as appropriate to accommodate your busy lives.

It's just, ever since your Greetings from the M:EM thread, I've been thinking about how you invited the Magic Community to see your works, and I in turn, wish to invite you all to a game. So, who here is willing to take on the challenge and come down into the PbP depths and see if you're as good at snuffing out liars, or being the liar, in a game of Mafia?

~SE++

_________________
[D&D 5E] Princes of the Apocalypse | Set-up | In Character | Out of Character | Map: Lance Rock

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:56 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 8824
Thanks a ton for the offer, squinty_eyes! I might be willing to give it a shot, but not for another two weeks. My summer class is wrapping up, as is my soul-crushing summer job, so that would be the ideal time to give something like this a shot, for me, at least.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:05 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 5000
Location: Inside my own head
Identity: Human
I'll keep an eye on this, as I technically have a lot of time on my hands at this moment in time, but I've been filling it with lots of things, and still haven't done things that should be done like update the Archive or add wiki pages or port more of the mothership Archive over. If some of the M:EM would give it a go, then I might throw my hat in as well.

_________________
Bow before my King!
The King of the Warm Fuzzies
Feel the Warm Fuzzies!


Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:30 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 10041
Full disclosure, Mafia just isn't really my thing and I truthfully have a bit of a negative Pavlov* with it. I don't think less of people that do it, please don't take it as such, but my experience is almost certainly marred by association to some extremely toxic individuals that were obsessed with the game.

*I'm going to make this a thing. It will be so fetch.

_________________
At twilight's end, the shadow's crossed / a new world birthed, the elder lost.
Yet on the morn we wake to find / that mem'ry left so far behind.
To deafened ears we ask, unseen / "Which is life and which the dream?"


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:43 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 11310
Location: Asleep at the wheel
Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
Aww, sorry Barinellos. How about a game of The Resistance instead? That's always fun, and much more about the numbers while still being a bluffing game. And it wouldn't make you twitch!

~SE++

_________________
[D&D 5E] Princes of the Apocalypse | Set-up | In Character | Out of Character | Map: Lance Rock

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:58 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 9815
I'm in for either, though Resistance sounds interesting.

_________________
"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:42 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 2890
As I have already spent time in PbP, I would love to be part of this. But because my internet access is so unreliable, I cannot commit to it.

_________________
Come and play 3 Card Magic! The Most Minimalistic Magic Format! (TM)

my ego sig


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:58 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 11310
Location: Asleep at the wheel
Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
It would be in two weeks, Aaarrrgh, so that RavenoftheBlack could join in. Think your internet access would be reliable enough by then?

~SE++

_________________
[D&D 5E] Princes of the Apocalypse | Set-up | In Character | Out of Character | Map: Lance Rock

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:01 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 5000
Location: Inside my own head
Identity: Human
It would be in two weeks, Aaarrrgh, so that RavenoftheBlack could join in. Think your internet access would be reliable enough by then?

~SE++

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "probably not". Aaarrrgh is currently in, if memory serves, South Africa, so that's why his internet connectivity is shoddy. I'm afraid I don't recall how long he's planned to stay down there, but it's for his work, so I've been operating under the assumption that it will be months.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:02 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 11310
Location: Asleep at the wheel
Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
Oh, wow, wasn't aware. Wonder what they're up to...

~SE++

_________________
[D&D 5E] Princes of the Apocalypse | Set-up | In Character | Out of Character | Map: Lance Rock

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:44 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 4859
Identity: genderqueer
Preferred Pronoun Set: zie/zin/zir/zirs/zinself
What is The Resistance like? I'm not really into mafia so much but I could get into something that's more like...

Well, actually, the thing that I liked about the Voting Games was that they were easy to divorce, to an extent, action and story--I could make my action and ditch the story for that day, or I could make the action and then spend some time roleplaying if I had the brainpower. It was a good sort of compromise I think.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:54 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 11310
Location: Asleep at the wheel
Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
The basics of The Resistance are that some of you are Imperial Spies, sent to disrupt the Resistance. I've missions are being carried out by you all to help take down the Corporations that have taken over. Each mission, a leader will propose a team based on the mission reaquirements. Then, everyone votes if they approve or disapprove of the team. If five proposals are down voted per mission, you've taken too much time and the mission fails. Once a mission team is agreed on, each member votes if the mission passes or not, though true members of The Resistance must vote for success, while the Imperial Spies may vote either way. The game ends when one team has succeeded in three of the five missions. Oh, and leadership rotates with each mission proposal for a team.

~SE++

_________________
[D&D 5E] Princes of the Apocalypse | Set-up | In Character | Out of Character | Map: Lance Rock

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:38 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 2890
Yeah, I'm a missionary working with a Christian drama company, and I'll be in South Africa for roughly 18 months. So no, two weeks will not make a difference. Thanks anyway, though!

_________________
Come and play 3 Card Magic! The Most Minimalistic Magic Format! (TM)

my ego sig


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:57 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 5000
Location: Inside my own head
Identity: Human
Aaarrrgh wrote:
Yeah, I'm a missionary working with a Christian drama company, and I'll be in South Africa for roughly 18 months. So no, two weeks will not make a difference. Thanks anyway, though!

You know, as you say that, I realize that if I ever meet you face-to-face, no matter what I'll be surprised at what you look like. Basically unless you are the JL8 Batman, I'll be surprised.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:01 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 8824
Aaarrrgh wrote:
Yeah, I'm a missionary working with a Christian drama company, and I'll be in South Africa for roughly 18 months. So no, two weeks will not make a difference. Thanks anyway, though!

You know, as you say that, I realize that if I ever meet you face-to-face, no matter what I'll be surprised at what you look like. Basically unless you are the JL8 Batman, I'll be surprised.

I have a confession...

Spoiler


I know, I know. Shocking...


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:24 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 5000
Location: Inside my own head
Identity: Human
Aaarrrgh wrote:
Yeah, I'm a missionary working with a Christian drama company, and I'll be in South Africa for roughly 18 months. So no, two weeks will not make a difference. Thanks anyway, though!

You know, as you say that, I realize that if I ever meet you face-to-face, no matter what I'll be surprised at what you look like. Basically unless you are the JL8 Batman, I'll be surprised.

I have a confession...

Spoiler


I know, I know. Shocking...

Scandalous, even.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:32 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 11310
Location: Asleep at the wheel
Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
I have lost 48.2% of my respect for RavenoftheBlack now. I'll lose the other 51.8% if they dare tell me they're not a Raven either. I've always had this image in my head of a wolf with black wings....

~SE++

_________________
[D&D 5E] Princes of the Apocalypse | Set-up | In Character | Out of Character | Map: Lance Rock

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:35 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 8824
I have lost 48.2% of my respect for RavenoftheBlack now. I'll lose the other 51.8% if they dare tell me they're not a Raven either. I've always had this image in my head of a wolf with black wings....

~SE++

Have you ever read anything I've written? Because if so, I'm surprised you had any respect for me to lose...

:D


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:36 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 5000
Location: Inside my own head
Identity: Human
I have lost 48.2% of my respect for RavenoftheBlack now. I'll lose the other 51.8% if they dare tell me they're not a Raven either. I've always had this image in my head of a wolf with black wings....

~SE++

Have you ever read anything I've written? Because if so, I'm surprised you had any respect for me to lose...

:D

Nevermore?


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:53 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 11310
Location: Asleep at the wheel
Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
Have you ever read anything I've written? Because if so, I'm surprised you had any respect for me to lose...

:D

Puns and poems are my favorite things from the M:EM!

~SE++

_________________
[D&D 5E] Princes of the Apocalypse | Set-up | In Character | Out of Character | Map: Lance Rock

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group