It is currently Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: M:EM High School
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:33 pm 

Identity: Functionally male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
I'll return to this at a later point when I'll have the brain for it, but in the meantime consider this a pin saying "I read it and I loved it, thank you for sharing" :D

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:03 am 

I'll return to this at a later point when I'll have the brain for it, but in the meantime consider this a pin saying "I read it and I loved it, thank you for sharing" :D

Well, thanks for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed it! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it once you have the time and energy to collect them!

:)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:46 pm 

Ok, my brain obliged me for a spin :D

-The "I don't wanna but I need to" is a little gem. It's deliciously overdramatic on Urassaya's part, and Kahr being the straight man for the joke? Funny on multiple levels :D
-I love the contextualization of fantasy traits. In a world of people of all genders, genres and species, it's only fitting that wings become just as
-(I dunno if I already shared that, but Barinellos and I envisioned HS!Huinn as a scion of a vicious criminal gang of blood brothers, which only stresses the importance of steering the hell away from Huinn and any of his relations; listen to Kahr, Urassaya)
-While played mostly for laughs, it's interesting how Urassaya experiences the culture clash with the local mores. It sucks to be stuck in a society where your preferences and feelings are considered silly at best and unhealthy and deviant at worst. What's worse, I don't think there's anybody who would go along with her vision of a family. Even Sharaka, who is raised in what's basically a commune, would raise an eyebrow in confusion at her homeplane's traditions.
(I had no memory of who Hanara was :blush: I remembered the Enchanted story, but from that to connect name and character...)
-If I wasn't fairly certain you're not a Homestuck, I'd have thought the quadra-hearts were a wink to ship charts.
-Nobody introduce Xeran to her. Things would go CATASTROPHICALLY, and not in a tasteful way either.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:54 pm 

Ok, my brain obliged me for a spin :D

Well, here's a hearty thanks to you and your brain! I always love hearing people's thoughts on this stuff.

-The "I don't wanna but I need to" is a little gem. It's deliciously overdramatic on Urassaya's part, and Kahr being the straight man for the joke? Funny on multiple levels :D

Urassaya as the overly dramatic teenager just felt right here, and it was a lot of fun to work with. Kahr no-selling her amused me to no end, too. The reason Kahr is even here as opposed to one of the other students is that I was originally going to have Urassaya ask if Kahr is dating Aamir, who I thought I remembered Barinellos saying was gay, but I couldn't find that anywhere so I might be mis-remembering. She was then going to try to "set up" Kahr/Aamir with Aloise/Beryl as yet another play on coteries in her home culture. However, the more I thought about it, the more I didn't like the idea, because it felt too disrespectful to sexualities. Kahr is very clearly canonically gay, and to suggest that he date women, even in the context of the fantasy coterie convention, just felt way more insulting than joking, so I dropped it. At that point, Kahr could have been anybody, but he hasn't been in all that many stories, and when I realized the connection with Huinn, I thought keeping him made a lot of sense. I did like that I was able to call back to Urassaya's want/need comment later, though!

-I love the contextualization of fantasy traits. In a world of people of all genders, genres and species, it's only fitting that wings become just as

You got a bit cut off here, but I know what you mean. Urassaya getting clearly turned on by other students' wings was a lot of fun to play around with. I didn't think about Morgezka when I wrote this; she definitely could be one of Urassaya's crushes.

-(I dunno if I already shared that, but Barinellos and I envisioned HS!Huinn as a scion of a vicious criminal gang of blood brothers, which only stresses the importance of steering the hell away from Huinn and any of his relations; listen to Kahr, Urassaya)

I don't remember you or Barinellos mentioning that, although it may have happened, and it definitely makes sense. But yeah, teenage Urassaya thinking that Huinn is "pretty" and liking that he's a "bad boy" is just hilarious to me, knowing how supremely ****ed up Huinn is in canon.

-While played mostly for laughs, it's interesting how Urassaya experiences the culture clash with the local mores. It sucks to be stuck in a society where your preferences and feelings are considered silly at best and unhealthy and deviant at worst. What's worse, I don't think there's anybody who would go along with her vision of a family. Even Sharaka, who is raised in what's basically a commune, would raise an eyebrow in confusion at her homeplane's traditions.

This was one of the most interesting things about this piece to me as I was working on it. It really made me think about how things on her home plane would work, and how confusing and awkward dating must be in that environment. I mean, how does a coterie even form? Does it start with two people and branch out? Or do people always/usually go on four-person dates? What happens if you get to three people in the coterie, and all three want a different person for their fourth? It was really interesting forcing myself to look at "high school dating" through the lens of Niinby culture, and vise versa.

As you said, I mostly played it up for humor, mostly because of the setting and the overly dramatic Urassaya Vath. Hopefully, though, Kahr doesn't come across as judgmental here, more just confused. He doesn't know about here home culture, so her comments are simply confusing to him, thus the repeated "huh?" But as you point out, she seems isolated here, and there are not many around who would be interested in that type of situation. I think Alessa could go for it, but I don't really see here as the "serious relationship" type, or at least the "settling down" type. But there are definitely characters around whose sexualities we have not yet explored. Hell, maybe Pendulum and Orida might be willing to experiment, if their relationship has continued. And if Pendulum were properly motivated, he might be able to evolve one very impressive set of wings...

:angel:

(I had no memory of who Hanara was :blush: I remembered the Enchanted story, but from that to connect name and character...)

She's a character I would like to do more with, but I just haven't really sat down and come up with any solid ideas for a follow-up story. I had a few vague plans, but nothing every solidified. Sadly, the same or similar things can be said about probably around half of my characters... :/

-If I wasn't fairly certain you're not a Homestuck, I'd have thought the quadra-hearts were a wink to ship charts.

I think it's fair to say that literally everything I "know" about Homestuck I've read on this forum, mostly from you and Ruwin, so it was definitely not a specific reference. Mostly, it just seemed like something a love-struck teenager might do (if my memory of witnessing classmates in my high school is accurate!) so I put it in there. Again, Urassaya being the flaky high schooler with mercurial crushes just amused me to no end, which is basically how I write the majority of these HS stories!

:D

-Nobody introduce Xeran to her. Things would go CATASTROPHICALLY, and not in a tasteful way either.

Urassaya: "But...I can change him! I know I can!"
~ Cue ominous music ~

Thanks for reading and commenting, Huey! It's always appreciated!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:19 am 

You got a bit cut off here, but I know what you mean. Urassaya getting clearly turned on by other students' wings was a lot of fun to play around with. I didn't think about Morgezka when I wrote this; she definitely could be one of Urassaya's crushes.

Yes, I had skipped that sentence because I was drawing a blank on the optimal turn of phrase and then never got back to it :V I had thought about Morgezka too in the days before writing my reply :D

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:40 am 

Urassaya: "It don't mean no things, if it ain't got those wings..." <3

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:44 pm 

I wrote this one a long time ago, but opted not to post it. I felt it was a bit too...crass. But, rereading it, I decided that, at least today and in this moment, I don't care. So here you go!

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:10 am 

Absolutely delightful! :D Poor Gale, she was wrong: a SINGLE punchline? She's underestimating Tryst by a long shot :V Thank you for sharing!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:01 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/him
Wow, Gale got so frustrated she slammed her forehead straight through the fourth wall!

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:57 am 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
Wow, Gale got so frustrated she slammed her forehead straight through the fourth wall!

Ha! :D

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:49 pm 

Absolutely delightful! :D Poor Gale, she was wrong: a SINGLE punchline? She's underestimating Tryst by a long shot :V Thank you for sharing!

Aaarrrgh wrote:

:D
Thanks. Glad you liked it. It turns out that it was written quite a while ago, way back in August of 2018. I sent it to Orcish in a PM and then forgot about it until I stumbled upon it a few days ago. I hadn't even remembered it when I wrote the "Death of a Sailsman" two-parter that ALSO broke the fourth wall, so that's fun. I'm really fond of the punchy exchange here. It feels like a short little comedic scene in a larger "movie" or tv show, like the main characters just happen to be walking by while this exchange is going on.

Crass jokes notwithstanding, I think my favorite part is when Gale just says the word "Sigh." That just amuses me to no end.

Thanks for reading, everyone!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13