It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8086 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396 ... 405  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:51 pm 

Blugh
My day was pretty much a nut punch.
The people flaked on work. At one point, i was the only employee in the entire damn building.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:29 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
Barinellos wrote:
Blugh
My day was pretty much a nut punch.
The people flaked on work. At one point, i was the only employee in the entire damn building.

Where do you work? Wasn't it a theater? Is it like a big multiplex, or just a single screen theatre?
Once everybody at my work showed up late but that was weather-related.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:34 am 

Wow, that sounds absolutely terrible. I hope that there will both be repercussions for them and some kind of recognition for your work.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:34 am 

oh man, work is about to suck sooooooo much worse
We're about to have to fire 4 employees. Minimum.
We're talking corporate fraud/loss getting involved.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:47 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Oof.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:41 pm 

Well, someone else is having a worse week than me.
This elderly old lady, who I'd feel sorry for if she weren't such a bitter person, lives in a condemned house down the block.
Or rather, lived in what was a house.
The thing, which has been collapsing for years and absolutely tanking our property values, finally fell apart.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:00 pm 

Woah, that's quite the week. I hope that you come or of the work situation ok, and that that lady both didn't get hurt and maybe can use this situation to move on a better place both physically and emotionally. Because there's for to be quite a story behind her being in that situation in the first place.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:21 pm 

Identity: Human
I find myself in desperate need of a watch-through of Evangelion, or something with a similar message. I've been twisting myself in knots for the last week over... pretty much every personal interaction I've had since I went out to that convention. I'm usually beating myself up over something or other that I said to someone else, but it's never been quite this bad.

Part of it, probably, is my lack of sleep since I came home, but that can't be all of it, and I'm starting to worry myself over how much I'm worrying over myself. I swear that sounded better in my head.

Also, I do hope everyone is doing okay and I don't mean to downplay what others here are going through. If there's anything I can do to help, you all know where to find me.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:31 pm 

Luna, get in the robot.

I might have a series or two that can give you the sane message without the crippling psychological anxiety of the creator seeping in, but you'll need to give me a few hours. Unless the crippling anxiety is your jam, in which case, no judgment.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:41 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

By "same message" of evangelion, what exactly do you mean? The "break out of your shell and be you" message? The whole hedgehog's dilemma thing?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:35 am 

TPmanW wrote:
By "same message" of evangelion, what exactly do you mean? The "break out of your shell and be you" message? The whole hedgehog's dilemma thing?

There's also the "people don't understand you, but that doesn't mean you're alone" message.
All of those are equally legitimate ways to read the series, each in their own turn.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:48 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Barinellos wrote:
TPmanW wrote:

There's also the "people don't understand you, but that doesn't mean you're alone" message.
All of those are equally legitimate ways to read the series, each in their own turn.

So like this comic then?
http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2612

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:42 am 

TPmanW wrote:
Barinellos wrote:
TPmanW wrote:

So like this comic then?
http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2612

If the dream werewolf were more proactive in his life, then yes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:10 pm 

@Luna:

Kevin Hart quote:

Spoiler

E.M. Youman:

Spoiler

Ray Evans:

Spoiler

Centuries Old Swahili Saying:

Spoiler

Johnny Depp:

Spoiler

I'm terrible at giving advice or any sort of inspirational speech, so if possible pick one that is appropriate.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:12 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

You were just complaining about how this same group of people walked out during business hours leaving you to manage the place by yourself. Seems like most of them deserve it even if the situation itself really really really really REALLY sucks. I hope it works out for you; since from your description you are the best employee they've got there and deserve better than having to deal with this.

---------

@Huey,

I just read your sig and that's the original reason I logged in to comment before reading the rest of the thread. Youtube video very entertaining lol.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:17 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
Barinellos wrote:

You were just complaining about how this same group of people walked out during business hours leaving you to manage the place by yourself. Seems like most of them deserve it even if the situation itself really really really really REALLY sucks. I hope it works out for you; since from your description you are the best employee they've got there and deserve better than having to deal with this.

Not walk out. Didn't show up for work.
Bit of a distinction.
That said, it ended up costing us 6 employees, and one got so worried, she bailed on us. So... yeah, we are WAY the hell understaffed.
Luckily I'm not HR, I'm the inventory guy.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:39 pm 

Identity: Human
I went to a really local anime/board game convention this weekend. I may have already mentioned it, but I like explaining this kinda ridiculous situation, so here it is: this was originally just an anime convention, but the board game portion got so big they had to split it off, so that now they were running two conventions simultaneously on different floors of the Sheraton hotel in downtown Dallas. It's actually a four-day convention that's still going on until tomorrow, but I didn't get any days off work (for various reasons), so I had my last day today. They were expecting ~10,000 people at the anime convention, and ~2,000 people at the board game convention (one badge counted for both, by the way).

I ended up not actually going to the board game portion; I was too caught up with the novelty of the anime convention -- I've only ever been to furry and pony conventions before. It was... a more physically intimidating convention than I was expecting, but unlike my anxiety-filled time at Baltimore, there was loads of space for everyone, and the only time I ever felt crowded was when a crowd had gathered around a vendor/artist and started blocking that alleyway.

And I mean physically intimidating just because of how... tall some of the displays were. I'm talking, like what was probably a good 12-18' tall displays (2-3m) across 80% of the official vendor hall. I make the distinction of "official vendor hall" because they had the "bizarre bazaar" where all the artists were able to sell there own merchandise (art, knick-nacks, whatever) that was on a separate floor as where they were selling all the officially licensed stuff like figurines, posters/wall scrolls, t-shirts, manga and anime, and tons of imported snack foods.

I ended up having a lot of fun. There was an ensemble band that performed live after opening ceremonies, I saw the movie Mirai and mostly couldn't hear the creators (Japanese guests of honor for the con) talk about the movie afterwards, went to a calligraphy demonstration and got to go up to do a little of it myself, got a brief overview of the idol genre as well as a... talent show? Karaoke session? It was billed as an "all-star concert" with past winners of what's probably a traditional idol competition, but it ended up being a bunch of fairly talented amateurs basically singing karaoke to the small but excited crowd -- and plus, I got to see (and sing a long with) Naruto belting out The Circle of Life, which made that worthwhile. Oh, and I bought a figurine by accident. I thought it was just a $50 bag of randomized foodstuffs, but it turned out there was a figurine in there.

I'm still not sure if I've found "my kind of convention" yet, but I've yet to actually attend a board gaming convention (like BoardGameGeek Con which is held twice a year in Dallas but is notoriously difficult to get tickets to because they cap the sales at a fairly low number) or video game convention (the most well known of which, such as PAX East in OL's home town of Boston) are mind-bogglingly HUGE and as such really, really intimidating.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:32 pm 

Glad you had fun, buddy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:11 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
mjack33 wrote:
@Huey,

I just read your sig and that's the original reason I logged in to comment before reading the rest of the thread. Youtube video very entertaining lol.

Thanks? TAZ has been a positive note in a rather rough and confusing part of my life, both for its poignant and silly moments, and sometimes for the combination of the two. The video has spoilers, but most characters are cameos so I don't think is that impactful.

Now I'm sorry but I'm gonna gush about it a little, avoiding the worst spoilers:
In this moment each player chooses an animal for their mask, and the elf who used to be a traveling showman/cook chooses a mongoose because it's immune to poison and can kill snakes, and the bit ends with the character breaking the 4th wall for a funny rant. It's discovered that his cooking career ended when HE ACCIDENTALLY POISONED 40 PEOPLE BECAUSE A SPELL WENT WRONG.
Also, that character gets one of the most devastating moments in collaborative fiction by just saying "Who?". The context is so spoilery I won't link the relevant bit.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:02 am 

Have you been following the published comic?
It's only at volume two at the moment.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8086 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396 ... 405  Next