It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362 ... 369  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:04 am 

Ye gods I lo- hold on a minute:

That was awful and you should feel bad Raven.

Anyway, ye gods I love rain.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:41 pm 

So, I have moved back to my childhood home (well, we have our own house on my parents' property), and should soon have my life together enough that I can start really contributing here again. I can see we're all in a bit of a slump right now, and I want to remind everyone that I am both thick and am experienced listener, so if you just need to dump your issues on someone I am available.

On a sadder note, I seem to have lost a story I was working on. I was writing it on my phone, the phone died, and I can't find a backup of it. So that stinks.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:03 pm 

Identity: Human
Technically, I'm on an upward slope. But, I'm also distracted by irregular dnd sessions, worldbuilding, writing, yoga, and other things, so I haven't really laid down solid roots yet. How's that for a mixed metaphor?

On an unrelated note, why do I keep coming across absolutely fantastic comics that I cannot read while at work? Saga, Low, and now Ekho I've had to drop because of nudity and sex. (I know I've said before but it's probably worth saying, my position does give me down time throughout the day to do this without taking away productivity; in a way, I'm on retainer.)

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:24 pm 

For lack of anything else of note to talk about, and because it's been too quiet lately, I'm going to talk about last year.

I know I wasn't around much last year, but I hadn't given much thought as to how emotionally draining the year had been on me until snapping at a friend over a really trivial matter. Luckily enough (and, in my opinion, strangely enough), he didn't see me as being rude or insulting and just saw it as a normal conversation (this was over internet chat, but still I absolutely said some things that were not on the level), but it got me to thinking about some of the things I've been putting up with the last few months, and then realizing how far back it goes.

I think it really clicked when I realized that, despite my love of hating on Attack on Titan, I never made the time to watch the second season of it. Specifically, I realized that, when I wanted to watch some legitimately complete media (as opposed to the unhealthy amounts of youtube I watch), I needed something with at least the promise of letting me unwind. For the record, I watched Gunbuster 2, and I have a few words to say about it, but that will be later (and possibly in a different thread). There's been too many things going on not just in my personal life but in the groups I am part of (i.e. fandoms), the country at large, and the worldwide situation.

While I don't want to drag up U.S. and world politics into this thread to drag us all down, but suffice to say that I have been having to indulge in a lot of Nasperge-level sighs since Trump became president of the U.S.. Because of how much he and his policies worry me, I have taken it as a duty to keep at least somewhat up-to-date on the news, with things like Healthcare Triage (a good youtube channel for anyone in the medical field or interested in medicine) and Stay Tuned with Preet (a podcast by the previous attorney of the southern district of New York, or in other words a high-ranking lawyer for the government). That alone has been somewhat draining by its nature. Some days I do have to avoid the news entirely, but on days I feel I have enough willpower to handle it, I have tried to keep up with the outside world.

Of course, then there's my personal life. I'm trying to improve it slowly but steadily -- I got a new bed a couple of months ago and have been getting better sleep than I have been in years, but I still haven't had what I would label as a "good night of sleep" in something like 7 years. I've had to take my vehicles in to the shop several times (sometimes just for tires, but still) last year, including just this week I managed to blow out a tire completely. Work has picked back up again after the holidays, too, so it's been particularly exhausting the last few weeks. This on top of my usual dealings with friends in meatspace, which does not restore my batteries, so to speak. I am someone who needs time alone to unwind and refuel, but I have had horrible luck with meatspace friends and all of them being people who unwind and refuel by being with friends. So, things like DnD, which they're all having a blast with apparently, mostly drains me (whether I'm the DM or a player).

And beyond that, there's fandom nonsense going on which... well, I told Raven personally already, but there was a fairly well-known member of the pony fandom who was just revealed as an unrepentant pedophile, [sarcasm] so that's just fantastic[/sarcasm]. While I have had no connection with the person in question, it's been an emotionally draining experience (even if I'm morbidly drawn to people's thoughts on the matter), especially as it's made me lose the respect I had for people in that circle which I had followed.

Anyway, I hope this coming year is a little better, and I hope to come here more often if for nothing else than to unwind and relax. I love you guys and you're all very important to me. Thank you all for being here, and for being you.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:23 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Thank you for sharing, Luna, love you too :)

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:36 am 

Yeah, 2017 was not the best of years in many ways. I hope you can find and remember the good stuff too (because I'm sure there was some), and allow yourself to shift your focus there sometimes. Thank you for sharing, and feel free to do it again whenever you need to.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:34 pm 

Anyway, I hope this coming year is a little better, and I hope to come here more often if for nothing else than to unwind and relax. I love you guys and you're all very important to me. Thank you all for being here, and for being you.

Love ya, Luna. You're a prince, and don't forget it, okay?

Other than this seasonal crudiness, which I just can't seem to shake for the life of me, I'm actually feeling really positive at the moment. There are things in my life -- and in the world at large -- which I desperately wish I could change, but, more than I have in a long time, I feel present, and happy. Work is manageable for now, and doesn't dominate my existence, and, in my personal life, I'm incredibly lucky to be surrounded by people whom I like and admire -- you lot chief among them! :)

For reasons I can't claim to understand, this newfound sense of stability seems to have come about at the same time as my writing has dried up a bit, and, if I could snap my fingers and just change one thing, that might well be it. I want to get back to writing, and I know that I'm the person who needs to make that happen. But, in the past, when I've gone through these sorts of spells, it has usually been accompanied by this sense of panicked dread, this deep-seated fear that I've run out of stories to tell, and that the well has gone permanently dry. But, somehow, I feel like I've maybe managed to banish that little voice for the time being. I'm disappointed that I'm not writing, but I'm not stressed about it. I've managed to retain some modicum of faith that the muse will call me back.

So, yeah, nothing much to report on my end at the moment, creativity-wise, although I hope that may soon change. But one thing that hasn't changed -- and won't change -- is that I think the world of you all, and I want you to remember that you're the best. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:15 am 

I'm glad things seem to be looking up for people here! A shame that to look up, things have to be down first. I know I've been scarce because frankly I've been trying to put my creative effort to finishing off a novel that I started with such speed but which now sits as the 140 thousand word albatross around my neck with its unfinished status. Fortunately, I can see the end of that path, and when it's done I have some M:EM tales I'd like to work on. Larasa and Morgan have been left in a hell of nightmares for far too long, the Coven's interests on Jakkard waiting with an ominous partnership, and there's a particular history I've been wanting to tell but struggling with the technical details on....

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:12 am 

I am strangely okay with http://www.themostdangerouswritingapp.com/. It's already gotten me a robust skeleton for a short story about wolves.

Unrelatedly, apparently I want to fight Peter Dinklage in my dreams. And kill tiny ice bears. My dreams have been weirder than normal lately.

EDIT: Has anyone around here come across this blog called Incunabuli? I have become captivated by it and think I've finally found a "gothic-thing" that I like. It's also gotten me both inspired and motivated to write things.

Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:28 am 

Well, if the Index page is to be believed, then Happy Birthday, Ruwin! I imagine that you still swing through silently from time to time, so hopefully you see this little birthday salutation and smile knowing that we still think about you!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:46 am 

Hey, I think I've said before, but I think it would be really cool if some more people from over here would come over to the pbp area. There's a pretty cool Mafia game coming up, but sign ups are slow. Please come check it out!

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20518

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:51 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
Hey, I think I've said before, but I think it would be really cool if some more people from over here would come over to the pbp area. There's a pretty cool Mafia game coming up, but sign ups are slow. Please come check it out!

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20518

I'm going to decline. My one true mafia-like experience was kind of awful (largely because there were too many people, but also because I got stuck as a normal player without any direction as to what I was supposed to do), and I can't say I cared for the few rounds of One Night Ultimate Werewolf I played. I don't think I mind social deduction games but I honestly don't care for player elimination types of games where someone can be forced out through no fault of their own.

--------

In personal news, I have not been sleeping well this week and I don't quite know why. It's kind of killed my motivation to do much of anything.

I have, however, played Journey for the first (and second) time ever and OH MY GOD I LOVE THAT GAME

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:13 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I'll also pass but for basically opposite reasons. I've really enjoyed mafia in the past but a) I'm rusty as all heck these days, so I won't be able to play up to my own expectations of myself, and b) I get really really into it, and I just don't have the time to spare right now. plus I'm gonna be offline for a week in March.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:04 am 

In personal news, I have not been sleeping well this week and I don't quite know why. It's kind of killed my motivation to do much of anything.

This may sound silly, but how old is your bed, Luna? And how long since you've flipped it?

I mean, not sleeping well can be from any of a million factors of stupid bull, because biology is traitorous and tricksy, but it can't hurt to flip and rotate your sleeping surface.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:05 am 

I have, however, played Journey for the first (and second) time ever and OH MY GOD I LOVE THAT GAME

Word.
I just ordered a great Journey shirt a few weeks back as part of Shark Robot's clearance sale.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:11 am 

Everyone loves "Don't Stop Believing..."

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:43 am 

This may sound silly, but how old is your bed, Luna? And how long since you've flipped it?

I mean, not sleeping well can be from any of a million factors of stupid bull, because biology is traitorous and tricksy, but it can't hurt to flip and rotate your sleeping surface.

Uhm... six months? I think I ordered it in October? That's actually why I don't know why I'm not sleeping well. This is the worst sleep I've gotten since getting the new mattress.

Barinellos wrote:

Word.
I just ordered a great Journey shirt a few weeks back as part of Shark Robot's clearance sale.

I should look if some of those are still available. I've avoided buying some merch if they're from IPs I haven't gotten into myself.

It took me far too long to get that joke.

Also while I do love all the greatest hits from when Steve Perry was their frontman, but I have a particularly soft spot in my heart for Spaceman.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:58 am 

I feel the need to inform you all of this:

There's a Princess Bride tabletop RPG now:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/234 ... tart-Rules

Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:39 pm 

However, as I always feel compelled to remind people, there is no such place as "South Detroit," and, if there was, it would be in Canada! :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:19 am 

... the oddity of encountering So Long and Thanks for all the Fish in multiple places over the course of the day is among the most peculiar in my life.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362 ... 369  Next