It is currently Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 165  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:22 pm 

Im putting this in my signature

Steven universe: she might have seemed too powerful because she was in her element.

Last edited by theamazingsquid on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:25 pm 

Identity: Human
I think the best parts of Cato's story were:
"mannished to defaecate most of the henchmen."
"I could gun you all down from here with my katana"

--------

Anyway, remember earlier this year when I told you all about how much garbage my textbook was? The one which I posted that mustachioed penguin about? It's back to haunt me. I tried to open it to answer some homework questions (which are ripped out of the workbook), and was very quickly reintroduced to its awfulness.

In the first place, it's discussing the origins of computers and it says "the origins of the decimal system are obvious", at which point it points to a cartoon on that page of a leopard-robed caveman (with the same mustache and glasses as the penguin), sitting against a Flintstone wheel (with his spiked club in the background), pointing at his toes going "1, 2, 3, 4, 5". The sheer embolism-causing audacity of this stupid book knows no bounds.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:32 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
3 things:
1 - don't say you're a terrible author Cato. The line "metaphorical guns blazzing (which were littoral machettes)" could not have sprung forth from the pen of an amateur.
2 - I would never cry in fear. That was somebody else.
3- There's an asterisk denoting a footnote, but no footnote. That's just sloppy.

@Luna - I remember the basics of the penguin book, but will require a refresher if my mind is to grasp its true horribleness. I'm sorry I forgot some aspects of your personal problems, but I only do it out of self defence. I really prize my sanity, you see.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:49 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
What did I just read

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:51 pm 

A masterpiece

EDIT: Has anybody else noticed that onyx mage has a nip ring

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:34 pm 

A masterpiece

EDIT: Has anybody else noticed that onyx mage has a nip ring

Well of course. It goes along with his skulls and black leather.
So goth.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:52 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
But what was the secret behind squid's percentage??

I liked that the author self-inserted himself into the story.
Also, why am I not included cato.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:40 am 

Identity: Wannabe Cyborg
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/His/Him
Sorry I only seem to come here to vent (or yell at people), but this is probably the safest place I know. You guys put up with me and the chance someone I know in meatspace will read this virtually nihil.

Content warnings: Self-harm, yelling, sadness, difficult family relations

Angry sad stuff about my personal life

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:11 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
a collection of sentences

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:26 am 

Mown wrote:
a collection of sentences

I feel basically the same way but that's because of our social disorders. I feel honest love towards all animals though.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:44 am 

@Yxoque

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:51 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Family:
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:54 pm 

Well, um, that sucks.
You positively seem like a flower who grew out of a pot of dirt by comparison.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:09 pm 

Identity: Human
To Yxoque

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:40 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Hairless: who are you replying to? There were like 3 posts before yours on the same subject, so I can't really tell.

Yxoque, Luna, Raven: I've always never felt that familial ties were as important as others seem to think they are. You never chose your family, and they never chose you, so why do we hold the ties of blood as something unbreakable and sacrosanct?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:39 pm 

Identity: Wannabe Cyborg
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/His/Him
Thank you for all your kind words and for sharing your own stories. It helped me.

As an update: I ended up going and my mum was kind enough to dust of two bottles of wine and put a ribbon around them so I had some sort of present. Things were fine and I was able to share the good developments towards finding a job without getting interrupted too much. It went pretty good, about as good as it could go, but after leaving I was a bag of nerves and needed some serious distraction, plus my (probably) ADHD symptoms peaked.
Responses to everyone, thank you for comforting me

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:34 pm 

At one of my cousin's rehearsal dinner thing, hiding on a chair because these people are too normal and annoying. I dint do parties T_T

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:55 pm 

Identity: Male
Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.

"The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks"
- Douglas Adams

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:37 pm 

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.

Amen to that. :)

It was really emotionally affecting to read all the stories which people shared about their families. I wish I could formulate a response more eloquent than the one which the good sergeant referenced above, and which you'll find in my sig. But, what that line lacks in eloquence, I hope it makes up for in sentiment. I am pulling for you. I am pulling for us all. Because we are all in this together.

Yxoque wrote:
Cato wrote:
Yxoque, Luna, Raven: I've always never felt that familial ties were as important as others seem to think they are. You never chose your family, and they never chose you, so why do we hold the ties of blood as something unbreakable and sacrosanct?

Part of it is evolutionary and tradition, but most people actually like their family. They tend to be the people who you grew up with, who cared for you when you were sad, who shared your victories, who taught you stuff... That's how feel towards my brothers, at least. And we have a shared background, which makes the inferential gap a lot smaller.[/spoiler]

I think you put your finger on it. I assume that evolutionary biologists will frame it in terms of shared genetic material, and I'm sure there's something to that. And I'm sure that most sociologists would frame it in terms of social norms and expectations, and I'm sure there's something to that as well.

But there is that element of shared experience, and I think there's a lot to that, as well. I think that we have a very basic, very elemental human desire to love and to be loved. But there's more to it than that. We don't just want to be loved for the people we are when we're at out best, when we're on our best behavior, or when we're being cast in the most favorable light. We want to be loved unconditionally. We want to feel like we are inherently deserving of love, even with our warts and all, even when we're at our worst. And that's where family comes in. Because, most of the time, they're the people who know us best. They're the people who see more of us than anyone else. They're the people who get to share the fullest range of our experiences. We have fewer secrets from them. We have fewer chances to put on masks around them. They're the people we live with. They're the people who get to know us in our weak moments, our painful moments, our worst moments.

They're the ones who find you lying naked on the bathroom floor in a pool of blood and broken glass because you accidentally walked through the shower door. They're the people who know that you let your cat live for a month too long, even though he was blind, and in pain, and dying, because you couldn't find the strength within yourself to have him put to sleep. They're the people who knock on the closet door when you're sitting inside, in the dark, crying, because you're not sure whether you believe in God, but you very much want to believe in Heaven, and you're very much afraid of Hell.

They're the people who get to see those sides of us. And we get to see those sides of them. And so, if they can love us, not just in spite of who we are, but because of who we are, and if we can love them for the same reason, then that's a kind of affirmation of our basic humanity that I think it's natural to crave. And so I think that's a big part of why we want those family connections to matter, even if they weren't connections we ever got to choose for ourselves.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:23 pm 

I think the phrase "blood is thicker than water" and its original counterpart "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb" are relevant to this conversation.

I cant really say anything other than that bc I haven't really had any family experiences that live up to par at the moment, but what I can say is that having someone who you can say anything to is incredibly important.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 165  Next