It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 167  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:17 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Wasted my time on the forum and solforge while delaying my homework because of self-discipline and anxiety issues. Didn't end up doing anything else I had planned.
So the usual, mostly.

NICE JOB RUINING THE MOOD MOWN.
Thanks.

Actually, I made that event on facebook, so I guess I did one of the things I had plans for.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:32 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Now you know how I feel every day mown.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:47 pm 

Lord: What were the best cards?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:01 pm 

Identity: Wannabe Cyborg
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/His/Him
Mown wrote:
NICE JOB RUINING THE MOOD MOWN.
Thanks.

Here, let me help.

My day was okay. And with okay I mean that I didn't cry or wish that everyone would leave me the **** alone. The highlight of my day was raiding on Guild Wars 2 and that ended with that guild disbanding. And I'm getting a fever.

Oh wait, no. The highlight was eating French fries. And until now, I didn't think too much about how much I hate my life right now. That was fun too.

Sorry to be such a downer. When things are better, you'll be amongst the first to know.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:08 pm 

I know there's not many competitive players here, but I've been peeping in on the Star City Games New Jersey Open Series tournament...its amusing to see greedy wedge decks get blown out by their own mana bases. Even better - Sidisi, believed to be one of the worst Khans, is hitting the tables. :party:

Ah, Gurm. If you think he's a bloodthirsty writer, try Steven Erikson. His first novel, Gardens of the Moon is a like trying to scale Everest in the middle of a blizzard, during an avalanche, but he really puts Messr Martin to shame when it comes to tragedy. If you enjoy Homer, you will probably enjoy Erikson.

"...the historians will write of our suffering, and they will speak of it as the suffering of those who served the Crippled God. As something … fitting. And for our seeming fanaticism they will dismiss all that we were, and think only of what we achieved. Or failed to achieve.

And in so doing, they will miss the whole **** point.”

Last edited by Cateran on Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:12 pm 

Identity: Human
@ Yxoque:
Feel better. And I don't mean to say that in a patronizing or assertive way, I just hope you feel better soon. It sucks to hate life. I find most of my hatred of life stems from my near-constant less-than-ideal physical state, by which I mean ALLERGIES CAN GO SUCK NICOL BOLAS.

Lord: What were the best cards?

Mostly some mana fixers that I like -- the Panaramas, tri-colored lands, and Obelisks -- but I look at the cards and realize I don't much care mechanically for Shards, though I know Conflux and Alara Reborn have some great flavor/mechanical overlap. A majority of the cards were Naya-based, or at least worked well in tandem with the Naya cards he had, since the only realistic deck he could make was a Naya one.

The two main things that getting these cards has made me think are 1) that I look at individual cards so, so much differently now than when he got those cards to play with me years ago (this was when Alara had just came out); and 2) a great idea to inspire a story or sequence of events would be to lay a portion of my collection, shuffled, face-down, in a grid pattern, and turn over cards in a style of... that one alternative format of play which I can't recall the name of and a quick google search doesn't reveal to me -- the one where you use creatures to "explore" face-down lands and use only lands which your creatures were next to (face up) to cast spells. Either that or pretend I know fortune telling enough to make card patterns and reveal them in a "meaningful" way.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:22 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
I tried to stay awake until noon today in a convoluted ploy to adjust my sleep schedule. I woke up 8 hours later because I forgot to turn the AC on in my room and it was boiling. 8 hours of sleep is apparently not enough for 25 hours of being awake. Now I'm in a weird, half-lucid daze. I have to work on 2 group labs, one of which I don't have the data for, and the other of which has me in a group where everyone else speaks predominantly in a language that I don't. Then I have some biochem homework, and I should probably get started on my analytical chem homework.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:11 am 

Identity: Wannabe Cyborg
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/His/Him
@ Yxoque:
Feel better. And I don't mean to say that in a patronizing or assertive way, I just hope you feel better soon. It sucks to hate life. I find most of my hatred of life stems from my near-constant less-than-ideal physical state, by which I mean ALLERGIES CAN GO SUCK NICOL BOLAS.

Thanks.

And the best cards are Calcite Snapper, Mystic Snake and Sphinx of Jwar Isle.

Also, now that I'm posting here, someone in the Wasteland has asked for the origin planes for some of the Commanders from the Commander products. I know we have some information on them, but I can't for the life of me remember it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:45 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: she
Cato: I tried that once, and it failed miserably.

Yxoque: I hate my life too right now. I hope yours improves.

I don't think we know the homeworlds of most Commander-only commanders. These are only ones I know:

Derevi: Bant/Alara
Jeleva: Innistrad
Kaalia: Alara
The Mimeoplasm: Muraganda
Prossh: Dominaria
Riku: Shandalar
Ruhan: Ir
Shattergang Brothers: Ravnica
Sydri: Fiora

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:37 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
Don't forget the previous round of commanders! Also, are we just looking for the commanders made for the commander decks or the reprints too?

Karador's from Theros
Edric's from Fiora

Anyhow,here's the article on the original 15 commanders. It contains most of the info we have on them.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:40 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
TPmanW wrote:
Karador's from Theros

The bit in the article about Karador was actually retconned to no longer mention the Nessian Wood, since Theros has neither elves nor nonenchantment spirits.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:42 pm 

Edric is not from Fiora. He was in conspiracy, but so was Basandra. He definitely fits, but none of those locations have been confirmed in any way to be associated with Fiora.

Karador is in a... murky place, because he doesn't actually fit the Nessian Forest now. They've actually retconned his history in the article. (what Jim said.)

I think Ghave is from the same plane as the Grove of the Dreampods, but I can't remember where I might have picked that up.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:19 am 

I never liked Karador being labelled a Nessian Centaur, because his art was always of a deer-guy with big antlers, while the Nessian Centaur art always showed a horse-guy. How could they ever have been the same type of centaur?

I've also thought that Edric could be Fioran, but I never drew any connection between Ghave and Fabacin (the plane with the Dreampods).

Fabacin. A plane with a name that means "of the tribe of beans." :wha:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:25 am 

Fabacin. A plane with a name that means "of the tribe of beans." :wha:

Interesting. I never knew that.

I suppose some oldwalker was cultivating the plane for some purpose...

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:10 pm 

It's Latin (although botanists would say Fabaceous instead). I'll just assume it's a translation of whatever that world's actually named (like Dominaria "Song of Dominia" and a bunch of other names).

Unbeknownst to most outsiders, the plane was not named for the wondrous Dreampods but for the fierce tribe of Bean Warriors, a proud but bloodthirsty race or beans who rule great swaths of the plane and slaughter all who oppose them.

You can see examples on their ceramics showing their warriors marching to battle:
Here and here.
Closeup of a single warrior, and in context.

Their bitterest enemies are the Sylvan Deer-Folk.

I wish I still had a copy of the Moche (ancient Andean) artwork I saw during my Prehistory class showing a tribe of lima bean warriors fighting a tribe of deer warriors. I was going to post it, but can't find a copy. It's ... epic. :p

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:43 pm 

.... uuuuuugh...
I just looked over at the mothership again, and the threads floating around there are so awful I can't even begin to form words to bother to try to comment on their so called "premise".
There's one particular user I think I'd just like to smack with a boating oar.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:40 pm 

Someone made a thread on eldrazi vs. phyraxia? Hasn't that been discussed at least 6 times before? And all the times it was kinda dumb?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:58 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Barinellos wrote:
There's one particular user I think I'd just like to smack with a boating oar.

Why does this turn my on? I need help

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:43 pm 

Someone put out an idea for a dinosaur-themed plane in the MEM forums...look what's coming soon: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/09/dinosa ... ver-reveal

"...the historians will write of our suffering, and they will speak of it as the suffering of those who served the Crippled God. As something … fitting. And for our seeming fanaticism they will dismiss all that we were, and think only of what we achieved. Or failed to achieve.

And in so doing, they will miss the whole **** point.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:28 pm 

Identity: human
Preferred Pronoun Set: he
"...meat-space ages."

* swoons over Tevish'...

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 167  Next