It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3332 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 167  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:55 pm 

Hello everyone, I am Tevish Szat. I am not exactly anyone important on these forums, or at least I do not expect to be, but allow me to welcome you here.

If you are new here, then I think it is good to start with a little history. These forums began in September of 2013 in response to the state of the official Wizards of the Coast forums. It was, in a word, untenable. The software used then, the policies of moderation, and many other things aside drove us to leave. But, at the same time, many of us had become friends there, and we did not want to say farewell. Thus, we all went to the same place.

I am writing these words in the immediate wake of the events described, knowing they shall likely endure when the dust of ages has settled over all that is described. But, our origin speaks in some ways to our goal here. We wanted to create a place where community could survive, flourish, and grow and we would not to have to fear dissolution at the hands of a power that was unaware what it had on its hands and of the damage it was doing.

Ultimately, I feel that if this place is to survive and flourish, we must stay close to our roots, which is to say a community. So, whether you came with us in the diaspora or found this place later, I welcome you. Whether you consider yourself a Vorthos already, or are just poking your head in to see what the fuss is about, I welcome you. It is my sincere hope that you will come to consider these forums a place of at least some amusement, and its peoples to be friends, as I am sure they shall come to regard you. So, please take a moment to introduce yourself, perhaps to read the introductions of those who have gone before. I am sure there will be quite a lot of chatter -- feel free to join in however you see fit. This place is our home. I hope it shall be yours as well.

As such, I would ask at this time that you treat this place as what it is. Please, regard your fellows with respect, and, this may seem a bit of an odd request: while criticism of work is perfectly reasonable, it will not be considered acceptable to make personal attacks against authors or artists. While we are a small group now, we do hope to grow, and we would rather like the people who write or illustrate for Magic: the Gathering to feel like they are welcome here as well.

Again, you can consider this place your home, just so long as you can remember it is home for others as well.

Welcome Home.

There are a few things that came up in previous threads that I want to mention. Specifically, I am going to make the bold assumption that most of us here would like to be friends with most of the other folks here. So when you go to post a reply, take a moment -- just a moment. Enter the full editor, hit preview post and read what you've written. I would like to believe that most people are pretty good and have a pretty good sense of what's appropriate or not, if they take that moment to look at what they mean to say. I hope we shall not have to change the thread rules to make certain topics off limits, because I think this community is full of intelligent people who can have good insights into just about any matter.

First Thread (Welcome Home)

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:02 pm 

To do an actual introduction: I'm Tevish Szat. I'm sort of "The oldest forumite" though I think that's not true when talking about meatspace ages: I've come through quite a number of community revisions/apocalypses, even before the WotC/NGA transition. I'm an 'active' member of the Expanded Multiverse project, though my activity anywhere is rather random and spotty.

I am myself a writer with novels in the can and dreams of selling them and going professional. I'll often play the part of the over-the-top villain, but am probably one of the biggest softies/hopeless romantics underneath.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:08 pm 

Identity: Wannabe Cyborg
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/His/Him
Hey, I'm Yxoque and I'm the nicest person on these boards.

I also can be arrogant.

Captain America: Winter Soldier

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:10 pm 

MIGRATING FROM THE OTHER THREAD

I'm liking my new job so far. The coworkers are agreeable, the environment professional while not being corporate, the work occassionally boring but never egregiously so and is frequently broken up by all cap 40 point font reminders "HEY THIS IS A GAME COMPANY YOUR JOB RIGHT NOW IS MAKING SURE THIS IS FUN".

On Friday, I was tasked with joining the rest of QA in playing against some peeps from the community in a few rounds. I was immediately warned that having the company tag in my handle would have me singled out for blood. Having never played the game before, I think all I managed to do for the better part of an hour was provide people with free points. One of the maybe 5 kills I got over the course of the day was a team kill.
Could have been better.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:13 pm 

Oh right, introductions and what not.

Hallo, I am hairless thoctar. Actually quite hairy.

I dabble in a little bit of everything in magic. I brew bad decks, I work at a game store as a tournament organizer, I'm an L1 judge, and I would consider myself a flavor authority on everything that happened after I started playing (Alara onward).

I'm horribly indecisive and love food and the idea of food.
I like long walks on the beach and am looking for that special someone.
Most anything I write is on the spot and stream of consciousness.
If I were color-aligned I'd be so red it's physically painful.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:20 pm 

Identity: Wannabe Cyborg
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/His/Him
Good that you're liking your job Thoctar.

I'd like to add to my introduction: Screw daylight saving time. Seriously. It stopped serving its purpose ages ago.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:26 pm 

Identity: Male
I'm Pepper, a fox-demon from an undisclosed cold place in the middle of nowhere. I have a wide range of interests, including literature, film, history, philosophy, and so forth. I'm Chaotic-Neutral, self identify as :u::r::g:, am a Johnny-Vorthos, enjoy an incomprehensibly wide variety of genres of music, film, literature, and games, and play control-oriented decks in Magic. I don't post as often as I should.

Beauty is eternal
Unsullied by evil's taint
Free from mortal law

"The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks"
- Douglas Adams

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:33 pm 

Yxoque wrote:

I'd like to add to my introduction: Screw daylight saving time. Seriously. It stopped serving its purpose ages ago.

Naw, man. Think of all the money we're saving on candles!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:49 pm 

I am Heliosphoros, a very passionate person who comments every once in a while, and showcases creative works that nobody reads. I identify myself as :r::w:, which reflects my agressiveness and psychotic mentality.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:07 pm 

*Looks around.*

Nice digs, Tevish. I promise to take my shoes off and to not put my feet up on the couch.

I'm OrcishLibrarian, but I'll also answer to Orcish; OL; "hey, you"; and "hey, jerkface."

The following things may or may not be true about me:

- I may or may not be married to Jill St. John.
- I may or may not have once beaten the Prime Minister of Portugal at putt-putt.
- I may or may not have challenged Ernest Hemmingway to a duel after he based The Sun Also Rises on my years in Paris. (The old fraud was too drunk to accept.)
- I may or may not write the occasional piece for the M:EM.
- I may or may not have four species of caterpillar named after me.
- I may or may not throw together a mean chickpea and cucumber salad.
- I may or may not have boneitis.

I'll probably offer you a hug at some point. I swear, it's not that creepy.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:28 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Hello people who like me and people who don't.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:30 pm 

A brand new thread, a brand new start,
To feed our heads and warm our hearts,
Let's stall our wars and sign a truce,
Just long enough to introduce
Ourselves once more to one another,
Each one a sister or a brother,
In here, our home away from homes.
I am Raven, I write poems,
And stories short, or stories long,
(I've even penned a couple songs)
See Raven's Rhymes, if verse you seek,
Or check out Flavor of the Week,
Or read (if so you thusly feel)
My serial, War of the Wheel!
So stick around, and have some fun,
That's all from me, I gotta run.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:02 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Hello. I'm Mown.
I'm the biggest Ymtc junkie out of the bunch, but haven't really been doing much there as of late. I mostly only visit the forum for this very thread.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:09 pm 

Identity: Human
Right, chaps! Bunch of monkeys on the ceiling! Grab your eggs and fours and let's get the bacon delivered!

That is, if it's alright with you...

Yeah, I think that's about all I can muster up this time around.

Cato wrote:
Luna: And what do your colors mean anyways?

For reference, the colors were:

And here is my answer:

I'll admit the colors are a slight bit off, but I didn't actually go and cross-reference anything before writing the line breaks.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:13 pm 

Cabbage crates coming over the briny?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:16 pm 

Hello. I'm Jedi. I am a founding member of the Expanded multiverse, and used to be a prolific character creator for it. Due to personal stuff I now tend to zone in and out and have almost completely given up on writing. I'm an unabashed fandom member of so many things, right now mostly Superheroes. I think I'm one of the longest playing members of the board (first learned to play with ice age, been more serious but off and on since Nemesis). I'm Johnny/Spike/Vorthos.

On a note: I'm working on a superhero rpg (Mutants and Masterminds) for my friends. What do all think of this government agency acronym: U.L.T.R.A.- Unusual Law-Enforcement Tactical Resources Agency?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:30 pm 

jedi8187 wrote:
On a note: I'm working on a superhero rpg (Mutants and Masterminds) for my friends. What do all think of this government agency acronym: U.L.T.R.A.- Unusual Law-Enforcement Tactical Resources Agency?

Not bad, but it begs a few questions. Do they enforce unusual laws, or are they an unusual agency? Are they responsible for the handling of tactical resources, or are they a tactical law-enforcement agency WITH resources?

Still, not bad, I think.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:33 pm 

jedi8187 wrote:

Not bad, but it begs a few questions. Do they enforce unusual laws, or are they an unusual agency? Are they responsible for the handling of tactical resources, or are they a tactical law-enforcement agency WITH resources?

Still, not bad, I think.

They use unusual tactical resources (i.e Super Humans, Alien Tech, Magic Thingamabobs, etc.) for law enforcement purposes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:36 pm 

jedi8187 wrote:
jedi8187 wrote:

Still, not bad, I think.

They use unusual tactical resources (i.e Super Humans, Alien Tech, Magic Thingamabobs, etc.) for law enforcement purposes.

Works for me, then. Also, "Magic Thingamabobs" is an awesome term, and needs to be in your game somewhere.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:46 pm 

Hello, I am the resident squid of these forums

You may ask: "Why does the forum need a squid?", "Why is he a squid anyway?". Well I don't know the answer to those questions so guess your f*cked.

But I do know a few things. On the old forums I was known as "froofroo". Some time in between here and there, I became the theamazingsquid. Who knows. I'm more or less a frequent on F&S, though I usually just make dumb jokes and offensive comments. My lover and arch enemy is the resident cat, cato, and once we fused to make an abomination amongst men. It was fun.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3332 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 167  Next