It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:01 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Ravnica is a city where many sentient races live together in one civilization. There are many subcultures, but the cultural exchange between them is ought to be massive in scale. Ravnican guilds fight for influence using many dirty tactics, of which assassination is not the most desperate thing, not even by a longshot.
Why do they seemingly never employ the races which general colors don't match the guild colors ? Why do we never see, say, an Izzet or Azorius centaur ? In that melting pot of a city, there ought to be more than a few engeneering-minded or order-loving centaurs. Okay, Azorius may be picky with all their rules, and Izzet do all sorts of weird things on a whim of their guildleader. But there are all-accepting Selesnya and Golgari and Rakdos. Where are Selesnyan Vedalken? Where are Rakdos elves?

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:09 am 

I mean, it's important to keep in mind that a lot of the racial characteristics extend beyond the purely cultural and into the very basic inherent psychology of the creatures in question.

Say that a vedalken decides they want to be a healer. They could choose to go into Selesnya, but practically speaking the way their mind functions doesn't make that an easy fit. The path of least resistance for them, and the most comfortable one, would be going into the Simic instead.

There's also the fact that the guilds aren't even something to approach philosophically on Ravnica. They're so ubiquitous that a separate philosophy for each is much more academic than practical, especially for the common citizen. What the guilds provide, and I touched on this, is a career.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:13 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
That is how the rules work, of course.
But in this enormous city of ten million different things, there have to be numerous exceptions.
The path of least resistance is the most likely one, but not the only one.

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:25 am 

We know guilds employ characters that are normally of other colours, like the ghosts both Orzhov and Azorius control. Though in these cases it seems that they make their pawns into the guild's colours. Same as necromancers and making their zombie thralls . Better to control what you know, after all.

The exception to this are Dimir sleeper agents, which can literally be anyone.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:42 pm 

That is how the rules work, of course.
But in this enormous city of ten million different things, there have to be numerous exceptions.
The path of least resistance is the most likely one, but not the only one.

Then you raise an interesting point outside the question.
Are there blue selesnyans?
Because I don't believe a vedalken would ever completely lose the blue in them.

In these theoretical exceptions, how do they interact with the colors of the guild and their colors?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:36 pm 

I think its a matter of time until we get a tricoloured planeswalker aligned with one of the guilds.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:48 pm 

Identity: Male
It seems inevitable that at least some vedalken would find themselves drawn by circumstance or philosophy to nonblue guilds. A lot of guilds seem like they'd be willing to take on odd fits, so that's not a great excuse either.
For example. I have a hard time imagining Rakdos turning down a sadistic murder artist for being an elf. And if somebody to issue with it, I'm sure a little violence would sort things out. Or maybe Selesnya just needed an accountant and that Vedalken was a great fit.

MTG races aren't portrayed as having particularly alien mind sets, so I'm left with a strong impression that their behaviours have as much divergence from the norm as humans do. I'd have a hard time believing that there weren't any loxodon that fit into the Gruul mindset. (And physiologically, an elephant is a pretty good thing for a tough outdoorsy type to be)

So why don't we see it? Maybe it happens so infrequently that we aren't statistically likely to see it.
The other likely explanation is that WotC doesn't want to confuse anybody.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:19 pm 

For the most part, I don't see why there couldn't be traditionally color aligned races in off-color guilds. Ravnica is pretty cosmopolitan, and with the advent of the new D&D book, I'm extra certain all manner of eclectic mixtures of OCs will flood the Internet.

That being said, the most likely reason you are not seeing these combinations show up on cards is is for both gameplay and color pie/balance reasons.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:19 pm 

I think part of why we don't see such in the cards is that the non-legendary cards tend to represent things that there are reasonable numbers of enough to create a sort of standard form of it of that general design of the card. It's likely that any off-standard guilds for various races, like a Selesnya Vedalken noted above, would likely have few enough numbers that each one is different and has different reasons and methods for their guild membership, such that rather than a non-legendary card, they'd need to be represented by legendary cards and special stories. There isn't enough room in sets for too many legendaries, since legendary isn't a major focus of Ravnica, outside of about a couple per guild (the leader and some kind of major figure involved in the story of relatively high rank, like a maze runner), so we're unlikely to see many of those special exceptional people who are in a different guild than normal for their race.

Like this post