It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:14 pm 

I don't think any other character in mtg history has been as strong as aminatou is implied to be, but its not like I'm a loremaster, and i don't think we know a lot about the character in practice.

The way they are describing her seems to put her pretty close to actual effortless omnipotence though. I imagine her as being able to undo or rewrite vast swathes of reality on a whim.

I like this sort of character though. Someone who is extraordinarily powerful but is effectively unpredictable and doesn't meaningfully interfere with the course of events except as an afterthought (ala roadside picnic). They make good narrative devices a think, if not good characters. As long as they don't posture her as either a hero or a villain then i can see her being a nice character, although i expect they'll eventually settle her into a much much weaker space than i am currently imagining her occupying.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:52 pm 

Ragnarokio wrote:
I don't think any other character in mtg history has been as strong as aminatou is implied to be, but its not like I'm a loremaster

Contenders for "Strongest Planeswalker" have been...
  • Taysir
  • Urza
  • Bolas
The only planebound beings that could compete on their level have been worldsouls like Gaea or the O-Kagachi, and while Gaea is undefeated, we know Bolas did a number on Amonkhet's soul so presumably since Taysir and Urza were both "the strongest" in epochs where Bolas was at his height, they could do at least as much. Freyalise didn't even rate in those contests and she wiped out all life on Azoria.

Of the three, only Bolas could possibly compete with causality control, and that's if you take The Test of Metal and Clockworking into account. And even then, Clockworking wasn't really trivial while Aminatou can "twist destiny with barely a thought".

NONE of this comes close to "And maybe unmake the multiverse". No one and nothing has ever exerted much influence at all on multiple planes at once, much less the whole infinite multiverse.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:41 pm 

Identity: Male
I have to wonder if Animatou's "lifetimes of experience" or whatever are just the lives she can use her fate powers to experience indirectly. That way she has all that knowledge but not actually the wisdom to apply it.
I can also hope that her being able to destroy the multiverse is just the result of knowing where the big red button is too, but that might be stretching it.

As for the strongest:
Yawgmoth was at least a match for Urza. 1 on 1 he was more than a match for huge armies. I never really bought Urza as the most powerful walker though. Taysir seemed to have a much better claim (unless you include the power of the people Urza affiliated himself with or his many creations).
Taht demon leviathan Bolas killed was apparently an even match for him, but that was before the height of his power, wasn't it?
And supposedly when they're not being foiled by those darn kids (and their pesky Nissa too!) the Eldrazi titans were more than a match for the oldwalkers who came together to fight them. It took Ugin, Sorin and Nahiri a lot of preparation to tip the scales of battle so they could merely seal away the Eldrazi.
Karona... I dunno. I just don't even get what's up with her.
None of these fine folks or enigmatic entities can rewrite fate with ease or undo the whole of the multiverse. The Eldrazi can end worlds, but even if the multiverse doesn't spawn new planes and the job is doable, it would take them millions of years at least.
So, yeah. An 8 year old with a single paragraph of build up appears to be the strongest character in MTG.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:27 pm 

To me, Aminatou is like Scarlet Witch, which is always a very BS, woo-woo power set, but it would be like she can see the probabilities of things immediately around her and push things in the direction she wants. Like some depictions of Scarlet Witch, I see her moths like Scarlet Witch's 'hexes'. It is potentially reality warping (as Scarlet Witch has exploded herself to send everyone into an alternate reality), but will play out like her being able to make a pot that was mostly stable fall off a shelf despite the odds or make an arrow miss because the target bent down to pick up something suddenly.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:46 pm 

Test User (1)
Y'all just need to read Homestuck.
We eat this stuff for breakfast.

link plz

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:11 am 

https://www.homestuck.com/story

starts off slow but if you've got time to sink its quite a ride

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:17 am 

I actually like Aminatou as a design and whatnot (I dunno, I've always fawned on uber powerful kids of the
not so chatty kind)... but IMO her power needs to be NERFED hard or be given limits coz we do not want another Sash and Waistcoat like event.

Like, make her fate altering effect only Plane-wide etc or make it heavily tied to her moths (like, if you don't get near it, she can't affect you).

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:39 pm 

Identity: Male
I could get behind a plane-specific fate alteration power. She's just super well connected with her home plane? It's only possible there? Make fate in general that plane's gimmick perhaps? I've thought of a plane somewhat like that.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:58 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
IIRC, there were the Greek styled (duh) Fates on Theros, but IDK how much they really had to do with anything in the lore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:21 am 

Jman22 wrote:
IIRC, there were the Greek styled (duh) Fates on Theros, but IDK how much they really had to do with anything in the lore.

Triad of Fates but they weren't really divine in any capacity.
And if agent of the fates were any indication, it would seem they were more sinister than ethereal.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:22 am 

They're basically agents of Athreos. Tymna has some power over fate in a fatal way I think.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:43 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
There was also fate unraveler

Like this post