It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Commander 2018 blerbs
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:29 pm 

https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/Commander-2018

- Brudiclad is apparently from the Time Spiral shenanigans. Kind of disappointed he's not actually a New Phyrexian per se, especially since I'm really enjoying the phyrexian look, but oh well.

- If you thought Aminatou's god level was terrifying you should see Varina's.

- Estrid is another -focused .

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:35 am 

By the 9 hells Aminatou's abilities/lore are just **** insipid.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:12 am 

WotC 2006: we need to change how Planeswalkers work, because they are too godlike to be relatable or work in gameplay.

WotC 2018: Here's an eight-year-old with the power to rewrite reality!

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:37 am 

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:04 am 

Deciding the outcome of all future events is still a form of rewriting reality. It also means she is the only being in the multiverse with free will, which is terrifying on its own.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:09 am 

Odd and interesting that Yuriko, a :u::b: character, is being portrayed as a freedom-fighter and champion of the small. Normally a black-containing identity, ESPECIALLY without white (order), green (community), or red (desire) would be of the "Weaklings die." school of thought, but I actually think it could be a good angle, tying into the best reads of House Dimir having been a check against the other Guilds and their abuses.

Aminatou is way more terrifying (and poorly written) than Varina. Varina's "Zombies of Might-have-been" ability is no doubt strong, but it's not like every other corpse raiser in the multiverse can't conveniently find bodies wherever they happen to be standing, like every centimeter of earth is a graveyard with intact remains of SOMETHING just beneath the surface, and it is at least interesting. Aminatou just threatens to turn the multiverse into minus. "Fortunately" she has a child's capricious whim? I think we'd be safer with Azathoth.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:18 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
A lot of these feel like we will never see them again outside of commander sets and they just wrote flavor on them so they don't seem as lazy.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:54 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
LilyStorm wrote:
A lot of these feel like we will never see them again outside of commander sets and they just wrote flavor on them so they don't seem as lazy.

thread

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:28 am 

A lot of love went into Aminatou's making and there's already a massive positive response to the idea of a West African setting, so she's definitely going to show up again.

Now that Jamuraa is not going to be the center of anything anymore, I would in fact like to see how else Creative can handle such a setting.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:44 pm 

Doesn't matter how much love went into the character, the concept is still absurd and spits in the face of everything they have told us for twelve years. Planeswalkers should not have the power to shape the world unless they have worked to achieve that power. That was the point of the mending. This character, as presented, could defeat any oldwalker and resolve any plotline, simply by twisting fate and deciding the outcome in her favor. At eight, she has powers Urza couldn't even how to have after centuries of hard work and study. They will have to retcon her if they ever want her to come close to the plot, and then we will complain about that as well.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:48 pm 

I think that's a little overboard. They basically made a 'Walker who plays in the trope space of a child with purportedly ultimate power, but, for reasons of being a child, is mostly benign in the power. I assume that, should this 'Walker ever get truly explored in any real depth, her power-set will become more defined and codified to the point where it is more reasonable.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:54 pm 

That, and I can already see potential limitations. Altering fate is something of a reactive power (fitting given her alignment), but not something that can be done on the fly.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:02 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
I think that's a little overboard. They basically made a 'Walker who plays in the trope space of a child with purportedly ultimate power, but, for reasons of being a child, is mostly benign in the power. I assume that, should this 'Walker ever get truly explored in any real depth, her power-set will become more defined and codified to the point where it is more reasonable.

Tell that to the Twilight Zone.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:50 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
...They will have to retcon her if they ever want her to come close to the plot, and then we will complain about that as well.

AzureShade wrote:
...I assume that, should this 'Walker ever get truly explored in any real depth, her power-set will become more defined and codified to the point where it is more reasonable.

Defining her powers as anything less than "changing fate with a single thought" would be a retcon. So thanks for agreeing with me, I guess.

Also, she apparently has the wisdom of lifetimes, and yet the capriciousness of a child. Where did she get the wisdom? Why doesn't it affect her behavior? If there was love and thought put into the development of this character, they sure didn't show it in the blurb.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:07 pm 

Well, her power-set is as follows:

Quote:
Aminatou, the Fateshifter
Though she is only eight years old, Aminatou possesses the knowledge of lifetimes and a supernatural attunement to the tapestry of fate. She can foresee the branching consequences of the smallest actions, twist destiny with barely a thought, and perhaps even unmake the Multiverse itself. Fortunately, though she has the curiosity and caprice of a child, she usually limits herself to minor manipulations of fate in service of her whims and desires.

From what I'm reading here there is little definition and a whole lot of what some are angry about is hung on the back of a very shaky "perhaps." As I see her, she's got some sort of destiny vision akin to Steven Universe's Garnet and the ability to sort of choose the destiny option that works for her, which is sort of reminiscent Clockworking (not that that is a good thing). all of that sort of wrapped up in the package of a young girl who isn't interested in the philosophical conundrums that such powers entail. How her "lifetimes" of knowledge factor into all of this, I cannot say, as that seems sort of incompatible with the way they are trying to characterize her as a capricious youth. Maybe the knowledge is there but fragmented or intermittently accessible? Maybe its the sort of thing where, if she sees something that she hasn't seen before, like a walrus, she just knows what it is and doesn't really ever stop to ponder why she knows this? Maybe it was the character designers just throwing as much strange power into one tiny bucket as possible for the effect with little care as to why because this was just window dressing on a top-down Commander 'Walker that was meant more to show off a culture and planar possibility that has been mostly unexplored? If so, maybe there is some sort of West African cultural significance or legends that inform her powers that we may be unaware of?

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:28 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
AzureShade wrote:

Tell that to the Twilight Zone.

I pity anyone who does not know to what you refer, and will thus provide a link.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:51 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
I dislike anything that has to do with "controlling fates" or time travel because it lessens the work of the protagonists. If you can just wipe away the hard work, what's the point?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:32 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Y'all just need to read Homestuck.
We eat this stuff for breakfast.

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:21 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
Doesn't matter how much love went into the character, the concept is still absurd and spits in the face of everything they have told us for twelve years. Planeswalkers should not have the power to shape the world unless they have worked to achieve that power. That was the point of the mending. This character, as presented, could defeat any oldwalker and resolve any plotline, simply by twisting fate and deciding the outcome in her favor. At eight, she has powers Urza couldn't even how to have after centuries of hard work and study. They will have to retcon her if they ever want her to come close to the plot, and then we will complain about that as well.

This is a universe where gods and eldritch horrors already exist and are powerful without justification, I don't see why another godlike being would make a difference.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:32 pm 

Blitzer wrote:
This is a universe where gods and eldritch horrors already exist and are powerful without justification, I don't see why another godlike being would make a difference.

Because said godlike being is mortal and is NOT, in fact, a god or eldritch horror.

....and is 8 years old.

Like this post