It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:00 am 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786966599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532298111&sr=8-1&keywords=D&D+Guildmasters%27+Guide+to+Ravnica%C2%A0

Look what Amazon dropped yesterday:

Quote:

D&D Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica HC Hardcover – November 20, 2018
by Wizards RPG Team (Author)

Explore a worldwide cityscape filled to the brim with adventure and intrigue in this campaign setting for the world's greatest roleplaying game

A perpetual haze of dreary rain hangs over the spires of Ravnica. Bundled against the weather, the cosmopolitan citizens in all their fantastic diversity go about their daily business in bustling markets and shadowy back alleys. Through it all, ten guilds--crime syndicates, scientific institutions, church hierarchies, military forces, judicial courts, buzzing swarms, and rampaging gangs--vie for power, wealth, and influence. These guilds are the foundation of power on Ravnica. They have existed for millennia, and each one has its own identity and civic function, its own diverse collection of races and creatures, and its own distinct subculture. Their history is a web of wars, intrigue, and political machinations as they have vied for control of the plane.

And today we finally get the official announcement.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/new-worlds

Quote:
RENTON, WA. – July 23, 2018: Wizards of the Coast is psyched to announce the first collaboration on a major product between Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering with Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica releasing everywhere on November 20. The book will contain everything fans need to play D&D in the world-spanning city of Ravnica, the fan-favorite Magic setting populated by ten rival guilds, each with its own ethos and agenda. Wizards is also announcing D&D fans can now return to a magic-heavy noir setting with Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron, a new document written by Keith Baker available online now. The exploration of these settings is a testament to how fan excitement can shape where D&D travels to next.

“Fans of Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering have been asking for years about when these two amazing brands would play together,” said Nathan Stewart, director of D&D. “With the huge surge in popularity of D&D and Magic’s commitment to bring the lore and storytelling to life, the timing seemed perfect. Ravnica is full of adventure possibilities and I can’t wait for fans to jump in to embody a member of one the iconic guilds. I will personally be making a new character for Rakdos.”

“This fall, Magic returns to the beloved plane of Ravnica with the release of the Guilds of Ravnica set for the trading card game and the D&D book Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica which will include classes, races, monsters and setting information on the ten opposing guilds,” said Elaine Chase, Vice President, Global Brand Strategy & Marketing for Magic: The Gathering. “It’s super cool for fans of D&D and Magic to be playing together in the same multiverse.”

“We’re excited for fans to dive deeper into the robust world of Ravnica as they adventure as a member of their favorite guild,” said Aaron Forsythe, Senior Design Director for Magic: The Gathering. “Picking up Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica is a great way for D&D and Magic fans alike to tell a part of Ravnica’s story with their friends around the table.”

More enfranchised D&D fans may know that Keith Baker created the Eberron setting as part of the Fantasy Setting Search conducted in 2002, and the D&D team has been working with him to update the setting. The first step is the Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron, a digital release in the Dungeon Masters Guild online marketplace, which will serve to collect feedback on adjusted races, dragon marks, new backgrounds and more. Fans can also use this document as a jumping off point to create their own monsters, adventure modules, and other tabletop content set within Eberron and put it up for sale on the Dungeon Masters Guild (dmsguild.com).

“It's been sixteen years since I planted the first seeds that would become Eberron, and watching it grow has been an amazing journey,” Keith Baker, creator of Eberron. “So many good people have been involved in creating the world we see today, and it's been wonderful to see it come to life. I can't wait to see what people do with the world!”

Since the inception of Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition with the public playtest involving more than 175,000 fans and continuing with the current record-breaking success of the brand, the focus has been on listening to fan feedback. D&D is excited to travel to Ravnica and Eberron in 2018 and other planes beyond in 2019!

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:57 pm 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
https://youtu.be/p72gWOO3rdM?t=28m27s

It's the first time I've ever seen one of the WeeklyMTG thing, and while I don't think I'll be watching it again, this episode was nice. It sounds like of the book is going to be fleshed out critters. Woohoo! I'm also glad they're not going to try to tack on color wheel mechanics or anything like that into the game play. For mechanics in character building, the guilds are in the background info part but more emphasized.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:28 am 

I've run a Ravnican DND game before.
It'll be interesting to see how this compares to the homebrew stuff I created.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:38 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
I might get this just so I can read some worldbuilding stuff.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:34 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Ravnica VS Sigil

fight ! fight ! fight ! fight !

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:38 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
OK, actually, who would win in a war, Ravnica or Sigil ?
Assuming that Lady of Pain doesn't intervene ?

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:30 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I wouldn't really have taken notice of it if it weren't for 4chan complaining about black people, but that cover really is kind of dull. Why is the cover for the book about the city of guilds barely representing both cities and guilds?

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:49 pm 

It has one guild master (the dragon one), one guild mage (showing off cool lightning powers), and one background Ravnica city on the cover. What more were you looking for? The Tablet of the Guilds art or some sort of multi-color round table?

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:03 am 

Identity: Male
Mown wrote:
I wouldn't really have taken notice of it if it weren't for 4chan complaining about black people, but that cover really is kind of dull. Why is the cover for the book about the city of guilds barely representing both cities and guilds?

You make 4chan sound like such a lovely place.
i would have prefered some more cityscape over... well anything really. It should be a bird's eye or isometric perspective of the city with some flying hussars or a Dimir agent looking out over a balcony or something in the foreground. That or I guess they could make it look like an actual Ravnican book with the seal of the guilds or somesuch. This just looks generic.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:11 am 

I'm not sure why they chose to focus on Izzet Guildmage #702 rather than one of the living Paruns (say the one in the background), a scene of Ravnican life incorporating more than one guild, a clean "symbol" style art like Tablet of the Guilds/Guildscorn Ward/Awe for the Guilds (in fact, Awe for the Guilds would work pretty directly as a cover), or even Jace "the Living Guildpact" Beleren. It does look Ravnican, but assuming you slightly shopped Niv Mizzet to not be clearly Niv Mizzet I'd have believed you if you said it was the cover for an Eberron supplement, too.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:21 am 

I'm not sure why they chose to focus on Izzet Guildmage #702 rather than one of the living Paruns (say the one in the background), a scene of Ravnican life incorporating more than one guild, a clean "symbol" style art like Tablet of the Guilds/Guildscorn Ward/Awe for the Guilds (in fact, Awe for the Guilds would work pretty directly as a cover), or even Jace "the Living Guildpact" Beleren. It does look Ravnican, but assuming you slightly shopped Niv Mizzet to not be clearly Niv Mizzet I'd have believed you if you said it was the cover for an Eberron supplement, too.

The 5th edition art direction pales to the tome look the 3rd edition books had.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:10 am 

Barinellos wrote:

All too true. I wonder if it was a break they made to have the editions stand out? Or maybe it "pops" better on the store shelves?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:48 am 

TPmanW wrote:
Barinellos wrote:

All too true. I wonder if it was a break they made to have the editions stand out? Or maybe it "pops" better on the store shelves?

I think it was an intentional break in design to separate the 4th edition trainwreck rework as something distinct of what came before. There's substantially less difference in visual composition between 4 and 5, with the real exception being the hilarious giant bloody splash on it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:45 am 

Some art from the book:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:41 am 

AzureShade wrote:
Some art from the book:

Are we sure this isn't an edit of something they commissioned for Kaladesh? Something about it seems like it wouldn't be too out of place there...

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:05 am 

I am not sure, but the place I saw it on tumblr is not known for posting mislabeled fakes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:10 am 

The Izzet veldalken is pretty distinctive, and none of the non-Izzets are decked out in metal.

Fun fact: Every piece of art in the book will have Jace in it, but in disguise.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:53 pm 

neru wrote:
The Izzet veldalken is pretty distinctive, and none of the non-Izzets are decked out in metal.

Fun fact: Every piece of art in the book will have Jace in it, but in disguise.

In this picture he is both of the hooded figures in the foreground.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:45 am 

AzureShade wrote:
I am not sure, but the place I saw it on tumblr is not known for posting mislabeled fakes.

That isn't what I meant, I believe it's an official WotC thing. I just think that the piece may have originally been a commission related to Kaladesh, which they later had the original artist edit to fit Ravnica standards after not using it, because I feel like there is a strong undercurrent of Kaladesh themes that could have been later painted over to look like Ravnica ones. While they fit the features of Ravnica Elves and Vedalken, they don't give the same impression as such seem to in most of the art I recall, and they instead give an impression of the Kaladesh versions of those races, just with the Ravnica version features, and the color schemes and lighting of the scene also remind me more of the way the art direction for Kaladesh worked than for Ravnica.

Then again, it might just be me seeing things that aren't there, or a more prominent artist from Kaladesh block who I didn't see any or much art of from Ravnica, or shifts in the Ravnica art style for the upcoming block. Or shifts in the overall art direction for WotC at some point since RTR.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:25 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
Nah, there are a lot of autumn themes in the artwork this time around, so stuff looks a bit different.

They revealed 2 other art pieces along with this one. The guys in cloaks are Dimir spies, and show up in all 3. I don't have an exact link, I just saw them on Facebook.

Like this post