It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GDS - ART Challenge
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:56 pm 

Hello spare art from WotC's back-files.....

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

Post subject: Re: GDS - ART Challenge
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:47 am 

My thoughts, stolen from the thread in YMTC

I remember the original GDS's Art Challenge had like no Green card arts. And this one has basically no white ones. Most likely color for each art:
A- Blue. It's a Merfolk using water magic on something.
B- Blue or Blue/White. The long stream of Blue means they'd definitely make this a Blue card but the fact he seems to be boosting his own weapon and the meantioned above likeliness of being from Bant makes me think a WU dual card could work.
C- Black as she's surrounding herself in the void. Though a colorless card also could work.
D- Green. It's a wurm lunging at something flying, this looks like an underwhelming 1990's Green card that would like deal 5 damage to one Flyer for too much mana compared to Plummet.
E- Blue because it's so goddamn blue. SOme sort of reading, probably would let you search top five cards for an Instant or Sorcery.
F- Red or Black. Giant demon in field of flames, it's Red or Black.
G- Green. This is obviously a fight card. I could see this being one of the enchantments.
H- Hard to tell for sure but looks either Green or Green/Black.
I- Red. It's flaming rain.
J- Green. It's an Ixalan Merfolk which means Green or Blue and the framing of crouching, looking at tracks makes me think Green. Probably with Explore.
K- I actually thought that was a construct before, but yes it is a DInosaur. Gonna be honest this art makes me think Ixalan reprint of Temple of Enlightenment for some reason. Just really strikes me as a WU dual land. Most likely to be used as White as it's the most color neutral.
L- U or UB, most likely some sort of control card and not a creature itself. Could work as an enchantment, probably that grants a Saboteur ability.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:12 pm 

A- Blue. It's a Merfolk using water magic on something.

It's a Salamander.
Quote:
H- Hard to tell for sure but looks either Green or Green/Black.
It's an ooze

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:26 pm 

A) Alright, I thought it was just a weird like Shadowmoor Merfolk or something but that's two people I've seen saying Salamander so seems right. Still likely monoblue.

H) I meant color but yeah I also couldn't really tell what it was in the art, thanks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:29 pm 

i think the most important thing about art is that its colour palette matches the colour its used in. the first card should almost certainly be a black card (UB works too) because of how much black is used in the art

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:24 pm 

Identity: Male
Ragnarokio wrote:
i think the most important thing about art is that its colour palette matches the colour its used in. the first card should almost certainly be a black card (UB works too) because of how much black is used in the art

That's something they used to do, but stepped back from. I know as late as Mercadian Masques, the colour palette was supposed to match the card color. Afterwards they figured out that players were able to tell a card's color anyway, and that it made the art bland.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:16 pm 

TPmanW wrote:
Ragnarokio wrote:

That's something they used to do, but stepped back from. I know as late as Mercadian Masques, the colour palette was supposed to match the card color. Afterwards they figured out that players were able to tell a card's color anyway, and that it made the art bland.

It's never been perfect: Odyssey Anarchist, for instance. Betrothed of Fire has a pretty similar palette to E; there's red at the bottom but it's dominated by a dark blue scene. A lot of night shots do that. As another contrast, Dark Ritual is really heavily red in its 5e art (also the most modern) and its Ice Age art could easily be deemed red/green based on the palette.

Matching has never been perfect. When there's a "magical" glow effect, sure, that's probably an indicator (with purple for black: see the argument over the spoiled art for Torment of Hailfire)

With that, here are my takes
A) Blue or blue/black. The motifs are swirling water, sea-life, and snakes.
B) seems Jeskai-ish. Could be mono-white (which sometimes uses off color shimmers) but I'd say it's most likely to have blue in it thanks to the blue shimmer
C) This is an elf invoking the magic. It might have non-green colors, but it certainly has green in its identity. I'd guess green-blue with an origin in Alara
D) Green, It's a flying hate spell.
E) Black, maybe red. This is a night scene as per Betrothed of Fire, pof a muscly dude swinging around a censer with smoke. It's sinister enough for black, that's my instinct
F) Black, this is reanimation and demons. Could be any Grixis component that includes black but the focus is very black
G) Green (on glow) or green-red (Goblin+Minotaur)
H) Green or Green/black, it's an ooze digesting somebody. Instinct is green.
I) Red. Is this a cancelled Flame Javelin invocation?
J) Green, Blue, or Blue-Green -- it's an ixalan Merfolk.
K) With no other guides, I would suggest the pallet is actually good here, and agree with the blue-white, possibly blue-white producing land.
L) This one is interesting. Like Sylvan Echoes it has a negative image, and that image is a demonic face, which suyggests black, while the magical glow being teal is an indicator for blue. The outfit of the caster seems more black. I'm going with blue-black.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post