It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:49 pm 

No wonder why I can't really tell who those elf guys are.

No, not really. There were several different factions that have elves in Time Spiral that I don't know which of those they are.
What elf factions are alive in Dominaria right now?

Well, the skyshroud elves folded into the keldons, the llanowar were still around, and we don't have much reason to believe the yavimaya went down. I'm actually really spotty on the extent of the citanul culture. I'm not sure if that's just druids or including elves.

As to Jaya, there's one good thing at least. Last we heard, she was dead, but that was a.... Really questionable source.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:59 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
As to Jaya, there's one good thing at least. Last we heard, she was dead, but that was a.... Really questionable source.
Sure, the fact that Jodah thought she was dead isn't really an issue and can be explained away. The issue is that they established that planeswalkers' actual age started catching up with them after the Mending at an accelerated rate, which would make Jaya a 1,500-ish years old pile of dust. But speaking of Jodah, Jaya's presence in the story makes me confident we'll see more of her old friend the "Lord High Mage Bloody Everlasting" again. :wizard:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:55 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Sure, the fact that Jodah thought she was dead isn't really an issue and can be explained away. The issue is that they established that planeswalkers' actual age started catching up with them after the Mending at an accelerated rate, which would make Jaya a 1,500-ish years old pile of dust. But speaking of Jodah, Jaya's presence in the story makes me confident we'll see more of her old friend the "Lord High Mage Bloody Everlasting" again. :wizard:

I like Jodah well enough. But I'm waaaaay more on board with the other person we left with him: Jhoira.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:58 pm 

As long as I get more Teferi, I'll consider Dominaria to be at least a partial success.

EDIT: It won't happen due to Jace being busy right now, but I really want he and Teferi to meet. I really want the multiverse's finest former blue 'Walker to cross paths with Jace and really give him the old Rafiki/Simba treatment.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:32 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
I like Jodah well enough. But I'm waaaaay more on board with the other person we left with him: Jhoira.

AzureShade wrote:
As long as I get more Teferi, I'll consider Dominaria to be at least a partial success.
Yes to both those things! Jodah is my favourite Magic character ever, but yeah, I still really want to see Jhoira and Teferi. And Karn and Radha and pretty much everyone else involved last time who's still alive. Picking them up where we left them seems like the most organic thing to do anyway. We need Teferi to bring back Zhalfir after all - if not in Dominaria, then the next time we visit there - and I'm really happy that Jodah and Jhoira ended up together. I'm not into shipping, but those two just need to be a couple. I'm still kinda hoping the three of them are running Tolaria West by now and doing research on the Zhalfir problem.

I don't even want Jace (or Chandra, or Gideon, or Nissa) to ever set a foot on Dominaria, but if they really have to interact with old characters there, them putting those pesky kids into their place is the only scenario I'd remotely be cool with. Imagine Jace failing to handle Jodah's tightly organised mind and ending up trapped in Jodah's thought palace (like Jodah himself in The Eternal Ice) or Teferi just countering every damn spell that Chandra is trying to throw at him without even looking. Or Nissa trying her stupid leyline shenanigans and being met with a "no, you don't" from Multani. I mean, by classical Magic standards, the gatewatchers are just really bad at magic, except maybe Liliana. It's about time they realised that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:12 pm 

Sure, the fact that Jodah thought she was dead isn't really an issue and can be explained away. The issue is that they established that planeswalkers' actual age started catching up with them after the Mending at an accelerated rate, which would make Jaya a 1,500-ish years old pile of dust.

I am quite interested to see how they're going to maneuver this. Slow water? Deal with a Fire Demon? Hand wave? Jaya being a rare case and the Time Rifts didn't rob her quick on age? :confused: LIEK HOW....

Also, I'd be mad pissed if she ends up dying in this.
Don't give me that "But she died for a cause!" NAH BEACH, give me an Old!Toph treatment and have her peace out in regards to Bolas.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:52 pm 

Identity: Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun Set: them/they/their
Barinellos wrote:

Where was this established? Mostly because I heard it early on in the fandom, parroted it to Twitter, and was kindly corrected by Kelly Digges.

Quote:
They began aging again at a normal rate--no "catching up." Liliana took many years to become an old woman post-Mending.

If I had to guess, it was a relic of the discrepancy between Doug's timeline (decades since the Mending in Alara Unbroken) and Brady's timeline (only a couple of years since the Mending for Venser to be in Scars of Mirrodin) to allow for Brady to explain Liliana's rapid aging and demon deals as they wouldn't make sense on such a crunched schedule. But again, that's only my guess and looking for a citable source for their true ages "catching up" to them.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:54 pm 

vronos wrote:
Barinellos wrote:

Where was this established? Mostly because I heard it early on in the fandom, parroted it to Twitter, and was kindly corrected by Kelly Digges.

Quote:
They began aging again at a normal rate--no "catching up." Liliana took many years to become an old woman post-Mending.

If I had to guess, it was a relic of the discrepancy between Doug's timeline (decades since the Mending in Alara Unbroken) and Brady's timeline (only a couple of years since the Mending for Venser to be in Scars of Mirrodin) to allow for Brady to explain Liliana's rapid aging and demon deals as they wouldn't make sense on such a crunched schedule. But again, that's only my guess and looking for a citable source for their true ages "catching up" to them.

Actually, that'd be Doug's timeline in Alara Unbroken. Basically the first chapter going on at length about how old and frayed Bolas was getting.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:16 am 

Identity: Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun Set: them/they/their
Barinellos wrote:
Actually, that'd be Doug's timeline in Alara Unbroken. Basically the first chapter going on at length about how old and frayed Bolas was getting.

Ah, fun. So it was established as a reason Bolas needed to power up and save himself for one novel, then discarded for everything other pre-Mending Planeswalker debuted since then. Introducing that as a story convenience to never abide by was a Bad Move.

I'll bring it up with em, but otherwise this at least lets you all know that rule was not something they were committed to as of 2 years ago.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:28 am 

vronos wrote:
Barinellos wrote:

Ah, fun. So it was established as a reason Bolas needed to power up and save himself for one novel, then discarded for everything other pre-Mending Planeswalker debuted since then. Introducing that as a story convenience to never abide by was a Bad Move.

I'll bring it up with em, but otherwise this at least lets you all know that rule was not something they were committed to as of 2 years ago.

Not surprising. I'm sure the absolute wreck of a timeline from Scars and Elspeth being an oldwalker both contributed heavily to the issue, so during the sweeping restructuring of fixing THAT mess, it was when both the timescale and rules were nailed down.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:06 am 

But since Creative don't care anymore how anything works in their universe (time travel, instant planeswalking, gorgon death gaze, the Meditation Plane...) and aren't really into providing explanations where they would be needed, I have no reason to be optimistic about it.
Quod erat bloody demonstrandum. That was quick.

It's on the very first page of Alara Unbroken, which, as I said above, was written by Doug, so I'd like to see them try and dismiss it as the "Wild West continuity" of a freelance writer as they're doing with the other novels. It says:

For decades he [Bolas] had felt his age catching up to him; his age was an imposing enough figure that he felt deeply invested in eluding the arithmetic. [...] The impact of the damnable Mending had left him broken. His omnipotence was mutilated, and his mind felt like a sieve. He was truly an elderly dragon.

The sad thing is, I really thought they'd deliberately worked around that with Oldwalkers like Nahiri and Ob Nixilis and the respective loopholes they gave them... I guess I'm done defending that Helvault retcon. Like, wow, the only thing we have concerning Jaya is a piece of artwork and a statement on twitter, but I already wish Creative had left their sticky paws off her. If Jaya can be alive for no good reason, then they have no excuse whatsoever for not bringing back Sandruu, or Dakkon, or Jared, or Geyadrone Dihada, or Tempé, or Worzel, or Parcher, or Dakan... Let's be real, the reason why they established that rapid aging rule in the first place was to get rid of all those remaining Oldwalkers off screen in order to start over with a blank slate. But with that being out the window and the Mending having been established as only 60 years ago, things don't look so clean anymore. It also proves my point about the gatewatchers being terrible mages. Like, what the hell Liliana, get your **** together. There were so. Many. Wizards. On Dominaria who didn't have the benefit of being planeswalkers and still managed to live for hundreds of years without any problems. Jolrael, Mangara, Kaervek (?), Jarsyl, Barrin (even before time water was a thing), and that's just the revisionist ones. If she was in no immediate danger of dying of old age, surely she could have found a way that didn't involve selling her soul to demons, at least for the aging part?

And Kelly is seriously wondering why people are "so confused" by their storyline? Maybe it's because they can't bring up the same thing twice without contradicting or retconning it? The readers are only as confused as the people writing that stuff are confused by their own material.

I really thought they'd do their homework and try to keep their continuity straight for a single set at least this one time, for Dominaria. But hey, why would they do any research or abide by their own rules when revisiting their biggest, oldest, most complex plane for a history focused set? I'm growing more and more determined to get the hell out of Magic once Dominaria has been wrapped up.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:38 pm 

Or Nissa trying her stupid leyline shenanigans and being met with a "no, you don't" from Multani.

Though they'd probably find no reason to fight in the first place.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:02 pm 

Yeah, I wonder how in the world they will unravel this conundrum they have made with Jaya being around... Still if Teferi had issues of his own having been seen in a conversation 300 years before that he had no clue about, there is a lot of mystery to work with...

Add to this the mystery of how Venser could be familiar with Teferi yet the information you guys are referring to would imply the mending would have to have been years earlier... And the association with Venser (deceased), Elspeth (deceased), and Koth (...deceased?).

I sense timeline shenanigans.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:32 pm 

As non-plussed as I might be with how poorly the Mending is still being handled ten years after the fact, I'm back on a tremendously positive note!

https://twitter.com/BerendBoer1/status/ ... 9888048129

Turns out the same artist who did the Ixalan map also did a (complete?) map of Dominara, and it's going to be available as a poster! :party:

Not only is Squirle basically Vorthos Jesus, looks like he was also in the right place at the right time on twitter. :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:43 pm 

Link is dead. Not yours, his.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:03 pm 

Link is dead.

Zelda will be crushed. Oh, wait.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:50 pm 

Link is dead.

Zelda will be crushed. Oh, wait.

That one had a bottled fairy.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:20 pm 

Link is dead. Not yours, his.
I know, it was already dead when I found it. I couldn't do anyhing, it just lay there, poor little link :(

Looks like they took it down pretty quickly (to not spoil the surprise I guess?), but from what I can gather from the twitter posts, there was only the info, no actual image of a map. I'm excited, though, a new Ixalan-style map of Dominaria was exactly what I was hoping for.

On a not map-related note, here's a wild, random prediction: I believe there will be a legendary matters subtheme in Dominaria, which is why they decided to make planeswalkers legendary in time for it to be relevant. What's more, my guess is there will be a Jodah card that tutors for legendary permanents, and it will probably be five-colour. That would basically give us the ultimate Vorthos commander, and building an EDH deck filled with whatever legends or planeswalkers you want would be an awesome way of celebrating Magic's history. Why Jodah, you ask? Because having met lots and lots of important historical figures and having been involved in several major events is exactly Jodah's thing. Add that to the fact that he knows how to 'handle' planeswalkers and that he's likely to get his long overdue card in Dominaria. If they were looking for a good Jodah design anyway, why not go that route? Defining him by his specific abilities or even figuring out what colours exactly he should be is going to be pretty fuzzy and arbitrary, but the things I just mentioned clearly are his defining traits. Heck, he even knows how to summon aether copies of dead legendary people he never met simply by learning all he can about them, like General Jarkeld.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:46 pm 

The only issue with your theory is that Captain Sisay is already a designated "Tutors for legendary" so Jodah would have to do something else to be distinct. I know this isn't YMTC, but as an old Vorthos and a commander player what I'd like to see would be something like this

Jodah, Archmage Eternal
:w::u::b::r::g:
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Protection from spells
You may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast Legendary spells or activate the abilities of Legendary permanents.
:2:, :t:: Search your library for a legendary card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library
3/3

Why Pro:Spells?
Mechanically, Jodah would need some resilience to be successful. And compared to Hexproof, I liked the idea that he was just a good enough mage that nobody could mess him up with magic.

Why mana washing?
It seemed the most germane effect for a 5-c Legend ofLegends. True, you do have to manifest :w::u::b::r::g: to cast him, but you could get some of those colors only temporarily or at greater expense (Say, by Manamorphose) and thereafter he'll let you play with whatever he tutors like it's not even an issue.

Why 3/3?
Jodah is not a buff punchy dude. He was never a warrior, and thus he shouldn't have massive combat stats. If he's mixing it up in combat something has gone wrong.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:05 pm 

Sure, having the card do a bit more is definitely desirable and would make it more interesting. Tutoring for legends is basically just my hypothetical starting point. I mean, a five-colour legends matter commander is actually a super obvious gap to fill when you think about it, I'm kinda surprised we haven't got one yet.*

I like your idea with pro spells and the reasoning behind it. You could even justify that alternatively by saying his Reflecting Mirror is, well, reflecting stuff (I think he still has the new one he made himself, right?). That card also only works on spells, so that would be a nice little nod.

*The closest thing I can think of would be Karona, False God, but that only worked for legends back in the day when it was a creature type, and not for other legendary permanents. It's definitely time for a proper one.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next