It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:40 pm 

I'm starting to regret choosing to go water-world. It would have been nice to try out "magic, but IN SPACE!" instead, Blind Eternities be damned. Although, I really like gameplay-wise how the water-world looks. The factions themselves want to all be blue, but the magic doesn't. The hardest to design stuff for was red.

Also, round two is up and I see two people didn't add to their submissions, and one did something relatively simplistic and I'm absolutely DYING to know more about the plane, especially the demographics.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:14 am 

I'm starting to regret choosing to go water-world. It would have been nice to try out "magic, but IN SPACE!" instead, Blind Eternities be damned

You mean Space: the Convergence?

No lie, I considered doing that.
Quote:
Also, round two is up and I see two people didn't add to their submissions, and one did something relatively simplistic and I'm absolutely DYING to know more about the plane, especially the demographics.
no clue if I'm the one in question, but I've been working on fitting everything together for my project. It's been more difficult than normal since I implemented some rules for myself.
Nearly done though. I just need to type some stuff up.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:41 am 

Quick collection of notes and images, hoping to add more

Spoiler

Edit: Don't have a lot on factions as of yet, but being a new plane and new races I think I'd like design to fall into strategies vs. alliance/factions, will work some notes.

Edit 2: Also have creature chart ready, just need to figure out a way to get microsoft word spreadsheet to here...

Last edited by Shockwave07 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:22 am 

AzureShade wrote:
Barinellos wrote:
This is NOT a Gatewatch story. While a member can appear, they are not set to be the viewpoint character nor savior. The Native Walker will fill that role, as market research shows less emphasis on the Gatewatch will assuage some fan's concerns. Said character is newly ascended and is NOT the planeswalker being held prisoner. That walker is as foreign as either Nissa or Gideon would be.
Brand is okay with that, but they are clear that either Gideon or Nissa needs to be in your set as the "helper" and that you can't kill them off (for Brand reasons).

EDIT: Also, Brand was curious on where you planned on having the story end, more than dictating it one way or the other. They just need to know so that they can set marketing expectations.

Gideon is likely a bad choice given the set up given his bloody Messiah complex. Nissa has a real potential to move the story forward as she can likely sense the inherent wrongness of the world but be unable to understand what she's getting. The biggest issue is to just keep her from leylining up solutions left and right.

As to the ending, I'd planned a closed ending. It depends on if Brand wanted to have a new plane, with limited potential really, or a new member of the Gatewatch that's been orphaned. Either the character sacrifices themself to buy the world some time as they are basically tortured for the rest of their natural life, or they mercy kill both the walker plugged in, and consequently the world.

The only other option is to let the dying walker suffer longer as the Gatewatch desperately search for a way to evacuate the world, with an additional layer of having to find a world that can take the refugees. This option might facilitate a return to Kaladesh, but open conflict behind the slippery slope of playing god. Said conflict stands as a good way to have conflict with no villainous components. This thematically continues the story as well.

So that's all up to Brand as the options.

To the creature grid and building, refer to below... with the understanding that with the technical limitations I'm under I can't make an ACTUAL grid...

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:22 pm 

Identity: Human
Also, round two is up and I see two people didn't add to their submissions,

I was told I had until Friday, by the nine spheres. Don't go calling it done before its time.

Anyway, I have spent nearly every free moment this week working on this, limited as I am without an actual computer, and while I am not entirely happy with it, I have put far too much work into it already and want to be done with it. At least it kept me awake and busy, for the most part. Please keep in mind a lot of this was written without going back over and double-checking or editing, so some information may end up contradicting earlier portions. Also I have almost no names in this because reasons. Chief among them being you never asked for any.

First, some mood music

That has been playing in my head all week. You're welcome.

the rest of it

creature grid

out-of-universe comments

Last edited by Lord LunaEquie is me on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:23 pm 

Barinellos's creature grid

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:22 pm 

I was told I had until Friday, by the nine spheres. Don't go calling it done before its time.

SorryIjustdidn'twantyoudisqualifiedbecauseIcareaboutyouguysandIwanttobenice

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:29 pm 

Barinellos's creature grid

Grazie

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:01 am 

SorryIjustdidn'twantyoudisqualifiedbecauseIcareaboutyouguysandIwanttobenice

Eh, I've been moody this past week and change. Not that it's an excuse, but you shouldn't have to apologize.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:59 am 

Quick update: I got into something of a car wreck after work yesterday. As such, I've been spending my day running around town getting insurance and such taken care of. This is important to note because all my stuff for Round three is on my work computer and I'm not there. Anyway, I'll extend this round until I get into work on Monday and can post up the parts for the next round. You have the weekend to polish up whatever you want.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:25 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
Quick update: I got into something of a car wreck after work yesterday.

Oh dear. You're not hurt, are you?

AzureShade wrote:
You have the weekend to polish up whatever you want.

Coolio, because I keep thinking to myself, "oh god, you said WHAT?" or "how did you forget THAT?"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:19 pm 

I'm fine. I wasn't part of the main crash. Two vehicles crashed at an intersection and one of them bounced off and hit me while I was waiting at the red light.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:17 pm 

Hope things get better, either way should have most of mine up today.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:49 am 

Okay, with all participants reporting in, it looks like we're ready for the next round.

All your story information was packed up and shipped over to the concept artists, who are having a field day with your worlds. While that's being done, a Design Team has been given your preliminary information and has decided what mechanics they plan on using for your set. After several meetings and planning things out, these are the mechanics that have been decided for you. Design is going to begin testing them out this week to see how well everything plays. Your job will be to fit those mechanics into your world creatively, making sure to note what parts of the color pie (or even card/creature types) use these mechanics and how they fit in culturally into your world. This will help the art directors later when it comes time to send out the first wave of art requests.

Your set's mechanics are as follows:
Preadatordetector

Huey Nomure

Lord LunaEquie is me

Barinellos

Tevish Szat

Shockwave07

You have all week to get these to fit all nice and pretty. I'll have the next round ready on Monday.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:29 am 

Cumulative Upkeep? Is this what WotC actually said? I thought it was a 9 on the storm scale. The only time a mechanic like that was reprinted was on one card in one supplemental set. I would have expected Echo (storm scale 8) or something simple enough to land a 4 on the storm scale.

Would this just be on a cycle of high-rarity cards? How many cards would Design want cumulative upkeep on? This is really important so I know what kind of scope cumulative upkeep would have over the story. If it's impact is small but it needs to be flavorful, then it would be easy for me to write something about the irradiated zone. If it's enormous and encompasses everything in the set I'm going to have to get to writing.

Hybrid is obvious since I was talking about it. I can simply do a copy+paste for it.
Unleash is easy-ish. Battle cry and Dash might be a better choice (considering the :rw: faction) but Unleash is good too. However I fear that the existence of the mechanic might make playing :r: a bit bland as everything would have to get unleash, unless we make yet another Grixis mechanic. There's no way that Unleash's flavor fits with :w:, :g: has very few creatures and they need to be relatively clean, but :u: has tons of creatures.

I'll post my submission later once my question about Cumulative Upkeep is answered.

Last edited by preadatordetector on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:36 am 

Question?

If we're supposed to mark out which colors are getting these mechanics, and you gave us each three mechanics to spread out over five colors, does that mean distributing them unevenly will be addressed later? Like, are we going to be getting more mechanics to implement at a later stage, or is it the point to unbalance the pie at this stage?

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:50 am 

To all: Your mechanics were 100% decided by picking one that would probably work well with your set and then randomly selecting the other two. This is actually better than what we had to deal with in the panel where Doug just randomly selected three mechanics and dropped them on us after we had sketched out a basic world plan.

@preadatordetector: The notes from the Design Team say that they think they can make Commutative Upkeep work across all rarities, similar to how things were done in Ice Ace and Cold Snap, but with much better design principles to guide them. Someone in the back suggested using it in relation to things needing to hold their breath? They figure you can work it out somehow.

@Lord LunaEquie is me: Usually sets get about three named mechanics and then some strong themes to round out the color pie as needed. Your job this round is to place and flavor the mechanics you have, and add in some other ideas to round things out as needed. Usually mechanics and/or themes will fall into two or more colors to make drafting easier. This is just the Design stage. Who knows what Development has in store for you yet (I do.).

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:15 pm 

alternatives

- Cumulative upkeep
Creatures
"Airbreathers have the vulnerability of needing to get their oxygen from somewhere. They do have a lot of technology available exclusively for this purpose. To the gilled, these contraptions are worthless." - Rodon

Creatures should be able to "resurface" so they don't "drown" through some kind of mechanic.

Noncreatures
"Many radioactive materials have a half-life, and powerstones especially have this feature. The thing that makes powerstones useful is that space can be turned into energy with them, returning some life to the machines that are powered by them. This makes me think of a connection where the powerstones can quickly switch from a fission reactor to a black hole, consuming the spent fuel and remaking it anew.

A truly renewable source of energy, with a heavy price. Any civilization would easily make this decision, but few want to hold up to its contract. Surviving our universe's heat death is possible with this technology but we need to be careful in how we use it. I never used powerstones myself, but from what I learned off of the Aptenodix's files, it gets progressively harder to control a powerstone's strength. It's relatively easy for a powerstone to create a chain reaction that gets out of hand." - Rodon

- Unleash
:b: - "Zombies sometimes go out of the range of their master's whip. Like hell they would be coming back to defend their master, and they get stronger when not completely controlled by them. Most necromancers know it's best to back off when they lose control of their charge, and instead look for ways of destroying them completely. I personally think this is a major reason to not use necromancy to provide an economic boom. The risk is too much when these things get loose." - Rodon
:r: - "The Igneous Formation's form of combat is reckless and dangerous, and often their terrorist agents are sent out with no intention of surviving the trip back, being equipped with bombs and weapons that make them dangerous to approach and more dangerous to not apprehend. Things get especially ugly when they interact with the necromancers - if they get their hands on their zombie servants they can cause a lot of damage." - Rodon

Hybrid:
Cards with hybrid colors corresponding to their respective factions are often diplomats, merchants, or skills that other factions have clear knowledge about. There are also could be trading and research conglomerates that engage with multiple factions, and deal in different wares that other factions (mainly :b::g::u:) need or want. Usually these conglomerates are 4-color, but exchange with multiple 2-color factions. They are also minor characters, having no ability to change what the other factions are doing, and shouldn't take up that much of the set.

Any 4-color hybrid card that has precisely the :rw: symbol in its combination wouldn't be viable to work in the story. Reason: there's no in-story faction (besides the undead or Domri under one instance, and yes I tested it) that would work with the combination using their two colors alone. The best work-around is to make them part of the lost technologies of the humans that no other faction discovered how to use yet.

2brid actually could be problematic here, and would work better in a 3-color and color-heavy set like Alara or Tarkir.

Last edited by preadatordetector on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:05 pm 

Phasing? PHASING! ah-hahahaHAHAHA! Perfect! And I can already see how to fit in Monstrous too. Epic, by its very nature, demands to be fairly limited-use but I think I might be able to carry the pie of unreals in Phasing.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:26 pm 

For now, the mechanics Design is using are the ones that are going into your world, and you need to find homes for them. Anything extra may come into play later.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next