It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unstable Flavor Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:07 am 

So apparently they actually did world-building for this un-set.

Quote:
markrosewater said:

Magic Panel Info

I promised to post the new info I gave out at the panel. Note that it’s all about Unstable. Here it is:

Unstable will have a small Squirrel theme, enough to build a deck around. There is a Squirrel lord but because its effects stack, it isn’t legendary so people can get multiples on the battlefield at the same time.

The set will have full-art basic lands with art done by John Avon. We did something with them that we almost did in Unhinged by chickened out. They look amazing.

The set will have Contraptions. I figured out a flavorful and fun way to do them but it was a bit much for black border. I consider it a home run execution. Steamflogger Boss is on the set. It appears once on the land sheet (It was the only way to get a black-bordered card in the set). Only the basic lands and Steamflogger Boss are Eternal playable. All the creatures in this set that assemble Contraptions are Riggers.

The set has a cohesive creative theme. We brought in artists and did real world building. The world is a mad scientist steam punkish world with five factions:

Order of the Widget (White/Blue) - This is the cyborg faction. They are like Esper but without any self control. They use their inventions to constantly improve themselves. You don’t need a toaster if you replace your hand with a toaster. They take self improvement to an absurd degree.

Agents of S.N.E.A.K. (Blue/Black) - This faction is the spies. They use their inventions for elaborate spy devices. The problem is, they are, for the most part, awful spies, using spy gadgets whenever and wherever they can often when not remotely called for.

Legion of Dastardly Doom (Black/Red) - This faction is the super villains. They use their inventions for death rays, weather control devices and apocalypse machines. They want to rule the world, but are constantly fighting as to who gets to destroy the world first.

Goblin Explosioneers (Red/Green) - This faction is the Goblins, it includes the Steamfloggers. These Goblins love making contraptions and are slightly obsessed with hammers. Their style is slapping thing together to see if cool things can happen. And when things don’t explode, sometimes they do.

Crossbreed Labs (Green/White) - This faction is obsessed with using their inventions to alter biology. They are all made up of hybrids of different animals. Part monkey/part spider/part leopard - sounds good. This faction mixes and matches all sorts of different animals in its quest for self improvement.

The set uses modern design and development techniques. It was designed to be drafted by itself and the release events for the product will be booster drafts. We worked hard to make the set have a lot of playability so you can draft it a bunch of times.

The set will have foil tokens, both for tokens produced by cards in the set and for popular tribes we felt the players would like in foil.

There are tons of other cool things I can’t talk about yet. The set does have a second named mechanic, along with Contraptions. It is something we’ve been trying to solve for years and with the flexibility of silver border, finally found a way to do it.

The set started design in January of 2011 and has its release date slip on several occasions. I am very proud of the work everyone did and think it’s the best Un-set we’ve ever made. I believe fans of Un-sets are going to love it.

Quote:
saintmiscellaneous asked:
Whats the name of the plane Unset 3 takes place on? Will get Magic Story about it?

markrosewater said:
We haven’t revealed the name yet. There is plans to have a least a story or two set on that world, one of which I’m tagged to write.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:25 am 

They can do with their silver-bordered nonsense whatever they want, but those stories had better not replace any real story content... :wha:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:32 am 

They can do with their silver-bordered nonsense whatever they want, but those stories had better not replace any real story content... :wha:

I mean, whatever they do with it, it can't be any worse than the actual story. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:39 am 

Quote:
doolittle-alley asked:
How does the philosophy for Crossbreed Labs work? It seems very Simic, and WG seems to be the most nature based color pair.

markrosewater said:
White and Green overlap in community. The Crossbreed Labs believe the road to peace is to embrace the web of nature. If every creature is a mixture of many creatures, there will be no prejudice. Everybody can embrace that they are part of the greater ecosystem.

The Crossbreed Labs is less about improvement and more about the social system that such changes can bring about.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:18 am 

Arix wrote:

I mean, whatever they do with it, it can't be any worse than the actual story. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it.
I don't mind that they're going to release stories for it, and sure, I'm going to read them. But I hope they do that in addition to the regular content, not as part of the normal schedule. They can't afford to lose any more space for their short stories.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:47 am 

I fully expect that Un-set stories will just be part of a fill-in week or weeks that are generally allotted for Supplemental material.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:55 am 

Kind of like when they do a story focused on an old Commander card that never had much more than blurbs. I wouldn't get your hopes up about it being in addition to normal content, they only have one story article a week.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:08 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
jedi8187 wrote:
Kind of like when they do a story focused on an old Commander card that never had much more than blurbs. I wouldn't get your hopes up about it being in addition to normal content, they only have one story article a week.

They have at most one story article a week. Recently we've had gaps of several weeks in between the storylines of each set, so an Unstable story article would probably be run during one of those weeks, instead of posting a podcast or something.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:26 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
So full art lands, are we finally getting lands that are 100% art with no border or text or symbols?

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:07 pm 

Arts from the panel:

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:16 pm 

Monkey 2 sexy. All that art is solid and fun. This could wind up better than all their recent blsck border sets simply because they can push all the boundaries and give us crazy fun things. Also no gatewatch.

Edit: you know what this feels like? Hearthstone.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:23 pm 

I just want to see a lot of dog puns in conjunction with the "Crossbreed Labs" faction since the name itself is a dog breeding pun.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:26 pm 

Oh god I just got the monkey joke. Squirrel monkey, spider monkey.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:26 pm 

LilyStorm wrote:
Monkey 2 sexy. All that art is solid and fun. This could wind up better than all their recent blsck border sets simply because they can push all the boundaries and give us crazy fun things. Also no gatewatch.

Edit: you know what this feels like? Hearthstone.

I disagree. This feels like League.

Also agreed. Stupid sexy monkey.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:11 pm 

League? Ohhhh LoL. Yeah I dont play bad games so I dont really have anything to compare that with.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:48 pm 

LilyStorm wrote:
League? Ohhhh LoL. Yeah I dont play bad games so I dont really have anything to compare that with.

I don't play it either actually.
But I'm big on lore and flavor, even when I don't play it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:20 am 

League isn't a bad game, it's player base is just atrocious.

On topic- I love the unsets, and this doesn't look to be changing that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:18 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
LEAGUE OF DASTARDLY DOOM.

It's the best name for a faction ever.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:17 pm 

Especially a faction of mad scientist super-villains.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:28 pm 

Here are some better pictures of all the art from the panel:

Spoiler

Like this post